Youngest Around the World Sailor

WWVaBeach

Im all for people being adventurous and living life to it's fullest. But isn't part of that making decisions that give you the best chance at having a life to live?

I havent seen an answer to my questions on whether she has ever sailed around the world as part of a team.

IMO, there is a high number of ways she could have "seized the day" in a much more responsible way. If this was truly about "living life" and not a cheap grab at fame, then I have to think any smart parent would say "Ok, you do pretty well in the Ocean off the shore of California. Let's get you on a team that is making the round the world trip. After you do it with a crew once or twice, then you can go on your own."

If she has never been on this trip at all, this is the equivalent of my parents saying "You know what, I see you can ride that dirtbike around our property pretty well, I think next week you should jump 20 school buses!"

The point is, it's not a choice between "Crazy Stunt" and "Sitting inside playing video games".

Still interested to know if she's ever done this route with a crew....

I don't know. It would be wise... But by then she would be "too old" to "scoop" her brother (I think the next youngest/oldest is him).

I also agree.

If this was 1910... Heck even 1970... Would she have done it? I think technology (in areas like communications and boat building) has something to do with these undertakings. Sure it is dangerous and help is many hours/days away... But help it still able to get there. Would her parent's allow her to do this in any other era? In ways the world is very "small" nowadays.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not arguing it was a good idea, but im thinking the boat builder might have some reason to say that she is at fault when the boat broke..... im not sure what that reason could be though... just saying.

The boat was fine and is still afloat. It was the mast that broke. That happens in high winds sometimes. Might not have happened if she planned her trip for a time with more favorable weather, but then she wouldn't have set the record for being the youngest.