OMFG

In all fairness, Galarraga's perfect game will possibly be the most remembered ever. There were 2 this year already and as I'm not a baseball fan, I have no idea who threw them. But holy crap I'll remember Galarraga.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But the refs blowing calls can have a huge effect on the outcome of games and seasons, no? Is that not worth a little wait, to make sure things are right?

Nope. I'm not that wrapped up in it. I just want to watch some goddamn football.

I was at the Lake County Captains game tonight in the Cleveland suburbs. A group of us had gathered at the outfield bar at the ballpark, where the Tribe-Tigers game was on TV.

I saw the play live on the broadcast, initially thought he was out, but I noticed that the pitcher snow-coned the ball on the replay, which is why I thought the umpire called Jason Donald safe. But Donald was out. Even the ump has owned up to this.

This would have been the third perfect game in 4 weeks. Now, this is going to be remembered for another reason. And it may be remembered moreso than the other two perfect games, for what happened at the end, how the umpire handled it, and how Gallaraga (sp?) handled it as well.

Also I think the ump had a bad angle, he was straight on. First base umpires go more by sound than sight. The ball hitting the glove sounds different than the foot hitting the bag. Because the throw of Cabrerra was not a bullet and it was caught in the top of the webbing it probably didn't make a great sound. **** happens.

Also I think the ump had a bad angle, he was straight on. First base umpires go more by sound than sight. The ball hitting the glove sounds different than the foot hitting the bag. Because the throw of Cabrerra was not a bullet and it was caught in the top of the webbing it probably didn't make a great sound. **** happens.

So, on a routine ground ball, at the end of a possible perfect game, the ump had a bad angle of 1st base? Not according to Joyce:

"I had a great angle, and I missed the call..."

Even the ump knows this wasn't just an ordinary mistake:

"It was the biggest call of my career and I kicked the [stuff] out of it," he said. "I just cost that kid a perfect game after he pitched his [butt] off all night."

Again, if you are in charge of the wedding cake at the Governor's daugher's wedding, and you present it with a turd on the top, you just may be getting fired. It was just a mistake, nobody died. There was plenty of other food and dessert to eat. But it was much more than just an ordinary mistake. Much like this one.

Again, if you are in charge of the wedding cake at the Governor's daugher's wedding, and you present it with a turd on the top, you just may be getting fired. It was just a mistake, nobody died. There was plenty of other food and dessert to eat. But it was much more than just an ordinary mistake. Much like this one.

As bad/important a mistake as that was, you can't expect perfection from people. They are people. The guy has in 20+ years and is regarded as one of the top umpires in the game. We all make mistakes and none of us can control when they occur. It is too bad tht his mistake din't come in the 4th inning of an 11-3 game but it didn't.

Did anyone see the reaction of the runner? He saw the safe called and clapped is hands once or twice in reaction. After that think he realized what happened. He put his hands on his head as if to say "Oh crap".

This was big. I think the ump should be fired. People get fired for huge mistakes at work all the time. This was a routine play. If more of these officials got canned for incompetence there would be less bonehead calls that effect outcomes. Think the Seahawk/Steeler Super Bowl or any game the Bills play in NE. Or even the foot in the crease Sabres/Dallas Stanley Cup

Also I think the ump had a bad angle, he was straight on.

I was thinking the same thing from all the replays I've seen on TV this morning. The replays I've seen are all from the side view, but he's looking straight down the baseline. I have not seen any replays, if they exist, from that angle.

Especially Canadians!

I had the Mike & Mike show on briefly this morning. They said it was possible for the four umps to confer on that call. They sort of mocked the idea though. They acted like they were umpires saying "I think he was out; I think he was safe."

They went on to say it would be one of the dumbest conversations in human history.

While I agree the conversation would be dumb, I guess these two twits don't realize there are literally millions of conversations taking place every day in Canada. The historic totals are mind boggling.

I was thinking the same thing from all the replays I've seen on TV this morning. The replays I've seen are all from the side view, but he's looking straight down the baseline. I have not seen any replays, if they exist, from that angle.

That's where the first base umpire always stands, as to prevent his body from being involved in the play.

The best baseball writer (IMHO) gives us his take

As with the Halladay game, the strike zone was ENORMOUS! I'm beginning to think that after Joe West's comments about the games taking forever, the umps have taken it upon themselves to speed up the games. Scores/ERAs seem to be dropping and we've had 3 2 perfect games and a no-hitter.

This game was played in 1 hour and 44 minutes.

The best baseball writer (IMHO) gives us his take

As with the Halladay game, the strike zone was ENORMOUS! I'm beginning to think that after Joe West's comments about the games taking forever, the umps have taken it upon themselves to speed up the games. Scores/ERAs seem to be dropping and we've had 3 2 perfect games and a no-hitter.

This game was played in 1 hour and 44 minutes.

That was a beautiful article by Posnanski, and I have to say I've changed my opinion of the whole thing after spending time thinking about it. What changed my mind is the way that Galarraga reacted to the whole thing...no anger, no vitriol, just disappointment. If Armando Galarraga can be so forgiving to the man who wronged him, what right do I have to judge and be angry?

Chef, you're right and I was wrong...it's just a baseball game. If people can't get over this, it's their own fault and not Jim Joyce's. He made a mistake. It came at a horrible time. Unfortunately for him, his name will be infamous among baseball fans. But that doesn't mean he should be fired, or even that he deserves any repercussions.

This wasn't an embarrassing moment for MLB. This was an embarrassing moment for a man whose job description involves making hundred and thousands of judgment calls during a season. Inevitably, he'll get some of those wrong.

That was a beautiful article by Posnanski, and I have to say I've changed my opinion of the whole thing after spending time thinking about it. What changed my mind is the way that Galarraga reacted to the whole thing...no anger, no vitriol, just disappointment. If Armando Galarraga can be so forgiving to the man who wronged him, what right do I have to judge and be angry?

Chef, you're right and I was wrong...it's just a baseball game. If people can't get over this, it's their own fault and not Jim Joyce's. He made a mistake. It came at a horrible time. Unfortunately for him, his name will be infamous among baseball fans. But that doesn't mean he should be fired, or even that he deserves any repercussions.

This wasn't an embarrassing moment for MLB. This was an embarrassing moment for a man whose job description involves making hundred and thousands of judgment calls during a season. Inevitably, he'll get some of those wrong.

Imagine that...sportsmanship in pro sports. How retro!

I was going to bring that up. I think that's why the kid is taking it so well. Also he's probably played the game his whole life, he's had several calls go against him over the years. How many strikes were called balls just tonight alone. Many of these guys are motivated by adversity and this will fire him up for his next start. That's why I love guys (and gals) to work for me that played sports.

I wouldn't blame him if he did complain a lot after the call, but the way he has handled this is going to earn him a lot of fans.

So, on a routine ground ball, at the end of a possible perfect game, the ump had a bad angle of 1st base? Not according to Joyce:

Even the ump knows this wasn't just an ordinary mistake:

A cake with a turd on top, great analogy. :) What if a cake with butter cream frosting were placed to close to the hot lights in a ball room and but butter cream begins to melt and the very expensive Lladro bride and groom on top fall off and shatter. Should someone get fired for that mistake?

Should he get fired if he blew a call in an inning where the pitcher gave up 10 runs? No one has answered that question yet.

Whoa, we will have none of that here.

A cake with a turd on top, great analogy. :) What if a cake with butter cream frosting were placed to close to the hot lights in a ball room and but butter cream begins to melt and the very expensive Lladro bride and groom on top fall off and shatter. Should someone get fired for that mistake?

Should he get fired if he blew a call in an inning where the pitcher gave up 10 runs? No one has answered that question yet.

Your idiocy isn't in believing the ump should not be fired. I can accept that. I have no strong opinion one way or the other. I would understand if he were fired, or left the game of his own accord, but I'm not writing a letter or anything.

Your idiocy is in pretending every mistake is equal, or more specifically, that this mistake is equal to if he had made it in a different situation in a different game. By the ump's own admission, this was the "the biggest call of my career" and that his mistake ""cost that kid a perfect game.'' He wouldn't be making those statements, and we wouldn't be having this discussion if he had blown a call in a 10-run inning. Major League Baseball wouldn't still be looking into the incident if it had been made in the middle of a 10-run inning.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/base...writethru.1189/

Major League Baseball was still deciding Thursday morning whether to review the umpire's blown call that cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game. Commissioner Bud Selig has the power to reverse umpire Jim Joyce's missed call that came with two outs in the ninth inning Wednesday night in Detroit. Joyce ruled Cleveland's Jason Donald safe, then admitted he got it wrong...

So, I'm not quite sure why you would pose such a question. But making a routine mistake in a routine game would be handled routinely. I doubt the ump would call the missed call in that 10-run game "the biggest call of my career".

As for your melting cake scenario. If it happened on a big stage event, and the person in charge was hired because of his/her expertise, and they approved the cake placement, I think they just may get fired for such a mistake. They may not. But it is a much bigger mistake than putting a butter cream cake under hot lights, on a Tuesday night at a restaurant when other desserts are available. That's really what I'm saying here.