OMFG

great point....sucks losing the perfect game like that, but in the grand scheme of things, he got a 1 hit shutout to win a complete game....

Sure, losing a perfect game is rough, but this call didn't decide the game. That's the kind of call that really fuels the instant replay fire.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

great point....sucks losing the perfect game like that, but in the grand scheme of things, he got a 1 hit shutout to win a complete game....

That doesn't even compare to a perfect game. Not even close.

Screw getting fired, I'll admire Joyce's cojones if he doesn't just up and quit tomorrow. That would probably be the smart thing.

Because we all know you're perfect in your job. Next mistake you make we'll be expecting your immediate resignation. <_<

Sorry, but that's BS.

Imagine your golf ball rolling toward the hole for a hole-in-one, but stopping a centimeter short. Imagine bowling 11 straight strikes, but then marking a 9 on the final frame with the pin wobbling back and forward.

Now imagine those things happening, but it wasn't even your own fault...some guy screwed you out of it. Also, millions of people are watching.

That's what Armando Galarraga is feeling right now. This is going to give him nightmares for the rest of his life.

Because we all know you're perfect in your job. Next mistake you make we'll be expecting your immediate resignation. <_<

Oh please. People get fired for making mistakes every day. Single handedly ruining one of the rarest events in your profession is grounds for firing, easily.

So putting a file in the wrong folder would be the same as screwing the company out of millions?

That's what we are talking about here.

Oh please. People get fired for making mistakes every day. Single handedly ruining one of the rarest events in your profession is grounds for firing, easily.

So if he missed the call by half a step of a guy who had given up 10 runs that inning, should he be fired?

Nope, I'm not buying it. Life's not fair...if an employee at any company makes a mistake this disastrous, he loses his job. Even if it's a small mistake and it's the context that magnifies it.

If you made a small mistake in cooking a dish, but that small mistake ended up making someone seriously sick or killing them, you'd be looking for a new job. That's just life.

So if he missed the call by half a step of a guy who had given up 10 runs that inning, should he be fired?

As a chef, should you be fired for making the wrong order, or over cooking a steak? Probably not, right?

But what if if you sent out your signature dish, something very expensive and complex, to a renown food critic. And you look it over and send it out even though there's a huge turd, or cockroach, in the middle of the plate? I'm thinking that's a bit different.

Of course not. We live in a world where results matter. I'm an engineer and I put the decimal point in the wrong spot and I over fill a tank with water, no big deal. I make the same mistake and the plant explodes, yeah I should be fired.

Nope, I'm not buying it. Life's not fair...if an employee at any company makes a mistake this disastrous, he loses his job. Even if it's a small mistake and it's the context that magnifies it.

If you made a small mistake in cooking a dish, but that small mistake ended up making someone seriously sick or killing them, you'd be looking for a new job. That's just life.

You beat me with the same point.

That's what Armando Galarraga is feeling right now. This is going to give him nightmares for the rest of his life.

Actually, he looked and sounded very composed during his post game interview. Guy seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

We're talking a !@#$ing baseball game here were calls are subjective. So an ump blowing a call is akin to me killing someone? <_<

Of course not. We live in a world where results matter. I'm an engineer and I put the decimal point in the wrong spot and I over fill a tank with water, no big deal. I make the same mistake and the plant explodes, yeah I should be fired.

Baseball game. Nothing exploded here. <_<

From the Ump:

"I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay. It was the biggest call of my career," said Joyce, who became a full-time major league umpire in 1989.

nothing can make up for it, but at least he isn't taking the PC no comment route...nice to see someone own up to a mistake

Unlike these irrational idiots here calling for the umps head.

Apparently the ump apologized after the game and Galarraga gave him a hug.

He made the biggest mistake you could possibly make as an umpire. Yes, he should be fired.

Biggest mistake? It didn't change the outcome of the game. Denkinger put the WS winning run on base with his call. That lives 25 year later. This story will fade away after Galarraga's next start.