OMFG

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the ump apologized after the game and Galarraga gave him a hug.

That just makes me like the kid even more. Good to see the ump own up to it. Doesn't change anything, but hey, the whole "owning up" thing seems rare nowadays.

So every ump who blows a call should be fired? Why does the fact that it's a perfect game make a difference?

How can you fail to see the point? I mean seriously, do you understand how rare a perfect game is (probably the single greatest achievement in sports)? To have an ump blow an easy call to snatch that away from you is inexcusable.

How can you fail to see the point? I mean seriously, do you understand how rare a perfect game is (probably the single greatest achievement in sports)? To have an ump blow an easy call to snatch that away from you is inexcusable.

Do I know how rare? Yes, I was the first to bring it up in this thread you putz. Sure he made a mistake but to lose his job over it, grow up dude. The kid who lost the perfect game is sure taking a more mature view of this than you.

Do I know how rare? Yes, I was the first to bring it up in this thread you putz. Sure he made a mistake but to lose his job over it, grow up dude. The kid who lost the perfect game is sure taking a more mature view of this than you.

Good for him, I'm entitled to my opinion as are you. At least he apologized for the mistake which I commend.

And I'm still here at work waiting for a client. It's 7:20pm, I've been here since 7:00am and will probably be here for another 2-3 hours. <_<

Ouch. I don't envy that.

And in the big picture, this kid is making one hell of a salary. Sure, he doesn't get his name in the record books, but this one game will probably net him even more money. This kid has it make and there is very little reason to feel sorry for him.

And in the big picture, this kid is making one hell of a salary. Sure, he doesn't get his name in the record books, but this one game will probably net him even more money. This kid has it make and there is very little reason to feel sorry for him.

I was going to bring that up. I think that's why the kid is taking it so well. Also he's probably played the game his whole life, he's had several calls go against him over the years. How many strikes were called balls just tonight alone. Many of these guys are motivated by adversity and this will fire him up for his next start. That's why I love guys (and gals) to work for me that played sports.

MLB should immediately allow instant replay. I feel bad for Galarraga...1st 28 out perfect game in history.

Here is the call.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_...76&c_id=mlb

And here is a link to the first out, an absolutely amazing catch by Austin Jackson, Willie Mays style.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_...76&c_id=mlb

Give credit to the ump for being stand-up about it. But he should have been able to watch replay to get it right.

“I just cost that kid a perfect game,” Joyce said. “I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay.”

“It was the biggest call of my career,” said Joyce, who became a full-time major league umpire in 1989.

“I don’t blame them a bit or anything that was said,” Joyce said. “I would’ve said it myself if I had been Galarraga. I would’ve been the first person in my face, and he never said a word to me.”

Isn't there someone we can fire or hurt or something?

I'm not sure a firing would be uncalled for, but I think he may at least get suspended. IMO, maybe the best thing to do is get the dude some glasses or laser surgery.

There is a big difference between a routine missed call, and embarrassing the league by ruining a perfect game. The end of the world? No Anyone die? No. But this is far from an everyday routine mistake.