OMFG

There's still a major difference between one minor mistake that ended a season vs. one that didn't change the results of a game at all, a regular season game. I'll admit though that my opinion might be a little bit different if there hadn't already been two perfect games in the last month.

And to put it into perspective there are as many as 131,000 outs in the regular major league season and to fire or suspend an ump for blowing one of them seems a bit trivial.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes...but when's the last time an umpire got fired for calling "safe" when the base runner was out?

Dunno. But there's a first time for everything, I suppose.

I don't think he will be fired, particularly since Galarraga and Leyland have handled this in a very professional. But if he did get fired or reprimanded in some way, I wouldn't be all that surprised, or all that upset. The expressions "life isn't fair" and "nobody is perfect" cut both ways.

Now, my recently deceased father would absolutely believe Joyce was on the take. I don't share his sports-related paranoia, but there are some people who think a call this bad at such an important time isn't likely to be by accident.

I don't think he will be fired, particularly since Galarraga and Leyland have handled this in a very professional. But if he did get fired or reprimanded in some way, I wouldn't be all that surprised, or all that upset. The expressions "life isn't fair" and "nobody is perfect" cut both ways.

Now, my recently deceased father would absolutely believe Joyce was on the take. I don't share his sports-related paranoia, but there are some people who think a call this bad at such an important time isn't likely to be by accident.

How would he be on the take? His call had no bearing on the outcome of the game. That's why I think firing or reprimanding the ump is stupid.

Let me rephrase the question: if, hypothetically, Joyce called "safe" a base runner who was clearly out in the third inning, and Galarraga ended the game with a 1-hit shutout having retired 27 of 28, should Joyce be fired for it?

Let me rephrase the question: if, hypothetically, Joyce called "safe" a base runner who was clearly out in the third inning, and Galarraga ended the game with a 1-hit shutout having retired 27 of 28, should Joyce be fired for it?

If my aunt had a dick would she be my uncle?

Let's not pretend context isn't important.

How would he be on the take? His call had no bearing on the outcome of the game. That's why I think firing or reprimanding the ump is stupid.

How much would a bet on a perfect game pay?

If my aunt had a dick would she be my uncle?

Let's not pretend context isn't important.

Context? In my hypothetical, Joyce blows the perfect game either way. The magnitude of his error is the same.

But Tom, this was the last out. It has much more significance. :)

Well actually there is a difference between missing the call in the 3rd and missing it in the 9th with 2 outs. If it's in the 3rd, you have to use the fallacy of the predetermined outcome to assume that things would've happened exactly the same way if the call had been made correctly.

In the scenario yesterday, it was very binary. Either perfect game or no perfect game.

Context? In my hypothetical, Joyce blows the perfect game either way. The magnitude of his error is the same.

I don't think Joyce would be saying a blown call in the 4th inning of any game was "the biggest call of my career". If the Bills would have allowed a TD on a run back in the 1st Q of that game, DeHaven probably wouldn't have lost his job.

I don't think Joyce would be saying a blown call in the 4th inning of any game was "the biggest call of my career". If the Bills would have allowed a TD on a run back in the 1st Q of that game, DeHaven probably wouldn't have lost his job.

But the result of the blown call is still the same no?

There are way too many stopages in the game of football as it is. Instant replay in football is the worst. I didn't tune in to watch a !@#$ing zebra stick his head in a box. Instant replay has no place in sports other than the finish line of a race.

Yeah because the stopages in the NFL is really hurting that league. :)

No offense, but this whole afraid of change attitude that some have towards baseball has cost the game. It's falling behind other sports because it struggles to embrace change and technology. Why take a chance on ruining a game when you can make sure the call is correct?

Baseball is never going to be a fast game and the people who can watch a 9 inning game straight aren't going to stop watching because of a 5 min replay. I'm glad the guy apologize because it was a brutal call. But if you can fix the call, why don't you?

But the result of the blown call is still the same no?

Maybe, maybe not. You can't say what happens if the return happens in the 1st Q. Maybe the Bills get blown out. Maybe they change the game plan and win. Sage pointed out correctly it is a fallacy to compare the situations.

But to answer your question another way: Probably not. One result, Dehaven getting fired, may not have happened in a different scenario.

Yeah because the stopages in the NFL is really hurting that league. :)

No offense, but this whole afraid of change attitude that some have towards baseball has cost the game. It's falling behind other sports because it struggles to embrace change and technology. Why take a chance on ruining a game when you can make sure the call is correct?

Baseball is never going to be a fast game and the people who can watch a 9 inning game straight aren't going to stop watching because of a 5 min replay. I'm glad the guy apologize because it was a brutal call. But if you can fix the call, why don't you?

To your first remark. The stoppages in play in the NFL is the reason I don't watch too many games anymore. I love to watch a 9 inning game (don't have as much time as I used to though) but if they put instant replay in play I'll watch even less.

Maybe, maybe not. You can't say what happens if the return happens in the 1st Q. Maybe the Bills get blown out. Maybe they change the game plan and win. Sage pointed out correctly it is a fallacy to compare the situations.

But to answer your question another way: Probably not. One result, Dehaven getting fired, may not have happened in a different scenario.

No I'm talking about the outcome of the baseball game is the same. One hit shutout.

To your first remark. The stoppages in play in the NFL is the reason I don't watch too many games anymore. I love to watch a 9 inning game (don't have as much time as I used to though) but if they put instant replay in play I'll watch even less.

Fair enough but the NFL is more popular than ever. Time isn't stopping the majority of people from watching games (though they absolutely need to stop the timeouts after KRs).

And you really won't invest 5 more minutes if you watch a 9 inning game anyway? I'm sorry but screw the human element. I'd rather have a game that gets all the calls right. Leave ball and strikes alone but why not get homeruns and bang bang plays right? It makes no sense not to.