OMFG

first off, kudos to Galarraga for handling it so professionally.

that being said, Selig needs to step in and reverse the call. nothing important happened after the play. it wouldn't really change anything. i doubt youd even get a protest from Cleveland.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that being said, Selig needs to step in and reverse the call. nothing important happened after the play. it wouldn't really change anything. i doubt youd even get a protest from Cleveland.

I think that sets a very bad precedent...no instant replay, but the commish is allowed to just wave his magic wand and alter history? Wouldn't sit right with me, even if it is fair.

Your idiocy isn't in believing the ump should not be fired. I can accept that. I have no strong opinion one way or the other. I would understand if he were fired, or left the game of his own accord, but I'm not writing a letter or anything.

Your idiocy is in pretending every mistake is equal, or more specifically, that this mistake is equal to if he had made it in a different situation in a different game. By the ump's own admission, this was the "the biggest call of my career" and that his mistake ""cost that kid a perfect game.'' He wouldn't be making those statements, and we wouldn't be having this discussion if he had blown a call in a 10-run inning. Major League Baseball wouldn't still be looking into the incident if it had been made in the middle of a 10-run inning.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/base...writethru.1189/

So, I'm not quite sure why you would pose such a question. But making a routine mistake in a routine game would be handled routinely. I doubt the ump would call the missed call in that 10-run game "the biggest call of my career".

As for your melting cake scenario. If it happened on a big stage event, and the person in charge was hired because of his/her expertise, and they approved the cake placement, I think they just may get fired for such a mistake. They may not. But it is a much bigger mistake than putting a butter cream cake under hot lights, on a Tuesday night at a restaurant when other desserts are available. That's really what I'm saying here.

So you're saying an umpire should lose his job of over 20 years over a split second decision he made that he felt, at the time, was the absolute right decision in the middle of a !@#$ing baseball game. And you call me an idiot. I'd rather be a forgiving idiot than a vindictive one. Dude, it's a baseball game, last I checked he's still going to get paid very well for playing a game.

You have got to be !@#$ing kidding me. No way that can our should happen.

I think that sets a very bad precedent...no instant replay, but the commish is allowed to just wave his magic wand and alter history? Wouldn't sit right with me, even if it is fair.

You have got to be !@#$ing kidding me. No way that can our should happen.

it CAN happen. i believe it's called the "best interest of the game" rule. and they are discussing it right now in the MLB offices.

there is no precedent to be set because the rule has always been there. for times exactly like this. there is no better time or situation to use that rule, if Selig is ever going to use it.

Blown calls are part of the game. Perfection is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world.

no one is looking for perfection. just a way to prevent horrible mistakes. or else why even bother playing the game? why should the players put in all the hard work at perfecting their game if their efforts are just going to be overwritten by an ump with a bad angle?

it CAN happen. i believe it's called the "best interest of the game" rule. and they are discussing it right now in the MLB offices.

there is no precedent to be set because the rule has always been there. for times exactly like this. there is no better time or situation to use that rule, if Selig is ever going to use it.

If they do that I will seriously consider never watching or attending a MLB game again. That is asinine. How in the hell is this in the best interest of the game, that would actually ruin the integrity and the spontaneity and human aspect of the game which is what I love abou it.

no one is looking for perfection. just a way to prevent horrible mistakes. or else why even bother playing the game? why should the players put in all the hard work at perfecting their game if their efforts are just going to be overwritten by an ump with a bad angle?

Because it's part of the game. Mistakes are part of the game. Playing the game means accepting that mistakes are part of the game. Even egregious ones that cost pitchers a perfect game. Don't like it? Don't play the game. Want to play the game? Accept that mistakes are part of the game.

It's really not a difficult concept. Life isn't perfect, **** happens, stop !@#$ing whining and deal with it.

If they do that I will seriously consider never watching or attending a MLB game again. That is asinine. How in the hell is this in the best interest of the game, that would actually ruin the integrity and the spontaneity and human aspect of the game which is what I love abou it.

in your opinion, that would ruin the game. in the opinion of many, MANY others, this will help uphold the integrity of the game.

in your opinion, that would ruin the game. in the opinion of many, MANY others, this will help uphold the integrity of the game.

And there are many, MANY idiots in this world. This would ruin the game, there are too many whiney babies in this world that would start to request reversals of every call. The integrity of the game is that all calls are made instantly on the field, not days later in an office.

Thats what Lupica argues for.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...o_jim_joyc.html

And it has happened before...see the George Brett pine tar game.

And there are many, MANY idiots in this world. This would ruin the game, there are too many whiney babies in this world that would start to request reversals of every call. The integrity of the game is that all calls are made instantly on the field, not days later in an office.

ive got no real opinion either way. i dont watch baseball. it's fixed anyways.

just realize that this is not a new rule, and it has been used before. and there were so little consequences from it being used that you never even realized it happened until now. so who is really over-reacting?

just realize that this is not a new rule, and it has been used before. and there were so little consequences from it being used that you never even realized it happened until now. so who is really over-reacting?

You're done here. :)

BTW the pine tar incident was asinine too.

So you're saying an umpire should lose his job of over 20 years over a split second decision he made that he felt, at the time,

Actually, I said "I have no strong opinion one way or the other." (Your reading comprehension continues to be abysmal.) What I have said, and continue to say is, pretending this isn't a bigger than a "routine" mistake isn't realistic. It is a very big mistake because of when it happened and how badly the call was bungled. When mistakes result in big consequences (a perfect game is a very big thing in baseball) sometimes the consequences are bigger than what might be typical.

Wait a minute...you think baseball is fixed? Do you mean that in the sense that the lack of a salary cap has created an uneven playing field, or do you actually think there's umpires on teams' payrolls, players intentionally throwing games, etc?

Actually, I said "I have no strong opinion one way or the other." (Your reading comprehension continues to be abysmal.) What I have said, and continue to say is, pretending this isn't a bigger than a "routine" mistake isn't realistic. It is a very big mistake because of when it happened and how badly the call was bungled. When mistakes result in big consequences (a perfect game is a very big thing in baseball) sometimes the consequences are bigger than what might be typical.

Ok, so I confused you with someone who said he should be fired. So what are the consequences?

You're done here. :)

BTW the pine tar incident was asinine too.

Wait a minute...you think baseball is fixed? Do you mean that in the sense that the lack of a salary cap has created an uneven playing field, or do you actually think there's umpires on teams' payrolls, players intentionally throwing games, etc?

haha you guys are so serious about this. but ill continue cause it's a slow day.

yes, i believe baseball is fixed in that the umps are swayed to make calls for certain teams and players.

i also believe football has the same problem. and we KNOW basketball did (and probably still does).

the whole "it's just a game" statement is often tossed around. but people also need to realize that each of these leagues are Billion dollar industries. if you think for one second that they do not have their own interests (money) at heart, you're being naive.

now dont read into this that i think there is a huge conspiracy going on. im sure it's not that simple or blatant. but i do believe that the refs, in every league, are somehow swayed by the head of the league so certain teams/players get calls.

Blown calls are part of the game. Perfection is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world.

True.

And sometimes people get fired for making mistakes. That's part of the game, too. Even those with a long record of good service get fired for one big mistake (even some they didn't personally make). Just ask Bruce DeHaven about that.

As to the question of MLB reversing the safe call and declaring the result a perfect game, I have no strong opinion one way or the other. Mistakes are made. Sometimes mistakes are corrected. Both scenarios are part of the game, and part of life.

True.

And sometimes people get fired for making mistakes. That's part of the game, too. Even those with a long record of good service get fired for one big mistake (even some they didn't personally make). Just ask Bruce DeHaven about that.

As to the question of MLB reversing the safe call and declaring the result a perfect game, I have no strong opinion one way or the other. Mistakes are made. Sometimes mistakes are corrected. Both scenarios are part of the game, and part of life.

There's still a major difference between one minor mistake that ended a season vs. one that didn't change the results of a game at all, a regular season game. I'll admit though that my opinion might be a little bit different if there hadn't already been two perfect games in the last month.