Bills Depth Chart ℅ Allen Wilson

Anyways, Fingon was good enough to post this article in another thread but unfortunately it spawned nothing but the usual bipolar arguments about the outlook for the season with the associated infighting and backbiting characteristic of our message board and its members.

What is most interesting about this article, is that Allen Wilson posts a Bills depth chart. The thing is, the Bills themselves don't have an official depth chart at the moment.

I surmise this to mean that the depth chart in the article is Allen Wilson's projections, and though not shocking, some of his projections are pretty interesting. I've bolded the more interesting ones.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/20...-camp-countdown

Depth chart

Offense

QB: Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick

FB: Corey McIntyre

RB: C.J. Spiller, Fred Jackson, Marshawn Lynch

LT: Demetrius Bell, Ed Wang

LG: Andy Levitre, Kyle Calloway

C: Geoff Hangartner, Christian Gaddis

RG: Eric Wood, Kirk Chambers

RT: Cornell Green, Kirk Chambers

TE: Shawn Nelson, Derek Schouman

WR: James Hardy, Steve Johnson

WR: Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish

Defense

LE: Marcus Stroud, Spencer Johnson

NT: Kyle Williams, Torell Troupe

RE: Dwan Edwards, Alex Carrington

OLB: Aaron Maybin, Chris Ellis

ILB: Andra Davis, Kawika Mitchell

ILB: Paul Posluszny, Keith Ellison

OLB: Chris Kelsay, Danny Batten

CB: Terrence McGee, Drayton Florence

CB: Leodis McKelvin, Reggie Corner

SS: Donte Whitner, Bryan Scott

FS: Jairus Byrd, George Wilson

Anyways, Fingon was good enough to post this article in another thread but unfortunately it spawned nothing but the usual bipolar arguments about the outlook for the season with the associated infighting and backbiting characteristic of our message board and its members.

What is most interesting about this article, is that Allen Wilson posts a Bills depth chart. The thing is, the Bills themselves don't have an official depth chart at the moment.

I surmise this to mean that the depth chart in the article is Allen Wilson's projections, and though not shocking, some of his projections are pretty interesting. I've bolded the more interesting ones.

Depth chart

Offense

Curious why you feel this choice is interesting. QB spot is wide open, and Edwards has just as good a chance as anybody else.

Not overly concerned here. Spiller is listed as RB, but his role will expand beyond being a RB. There is no "hybrid" player position.

I find D. Bell as the starting LT to be interesting. Actually, I grimace at the mere thought.

This would be shocking for those that believe Hardy is a bust, and that Johnson is somehow much better.

Defense

Not overly shocking. Schobel retired, and Ellis had motivational problems coming out of college. Maybin by default.

Ellison in the middle? Better pray Poz does not get hurt. Ellison will get eaten alive.

not really tbh.

Maybe it's just the way he's got it listed. but I think it makes more sense to leave Kelsay on the left (strong) side and Maybin on the right (weak) side.... plays more to their supposed strengths.

What is up with Aaron Schobel? I think our D needs him to try and be an OLB in the new 3-4. Our D needs a pass rush badly and sorry but Kelsay, Batten, and Maybin don't inspire confidence at all in getting some sacks. Schobel is no sure thing at his age and in a new Scheme but I would like to see him come back for one more season just to be a stop gap guy and take pressure off of Maybin and Batten.

Also getting Schobel (If he can bring a pass rush) helps our secondary become better and helps out our run D by having to pass blitz less. I also would like to see Lonnie Hearvy make the team as a 3rd NT just to add depth but make is so that Williams can flex out to DE once in a while.

Not overly shocking. Schobel retired, and Ellis had motivational problems coming out of college. Maybin by default.

Ellison in the middle? Better pray Poz does not get hurt. Ellison will get eaten alive.

When did that happen? I don't think he will or they would have announced it by now.

I agree with the Ellison point and also think it is possible we see Trent start the season.

What is up with Aaron Schobel? I think our D needs him to try and be an OLB in the new 3-4. Our D needs a pass rush badly and sorry but Kelsay, Batten, and Maybin don't inspire confidence at all in getting some sacks. Schobel is no sure thing at his age and in a new Scheme but I would like to see him come back for one more season just to be a stop gap guy and take pressure off of Maybin and Batten.

Also getting Schobel (If he can bring a pass rush) helps our secondary become better and helps out our run D by having to pass blitz less. I also would like to see Lonnie Hearvy make the team as a 3rd NT just to add depth but make is so that Williams can flex out to DE once in a while.

ITs very difficult to become a standup LB from a DE and have to cover guys after not doing it for 10 years. Watch and see how kelsay who wasnt a good DE struggles with LB

McKelvin is not going to unseat Florence. Florence has too much experience, and with a veteran coaching staff that needs to get out of the gates fast, they are not going to feel obligated to play the young guy just because he was a high pick.

Kirk Chambers over Jamon Meredith?

That was a mistake on Allen's part. Meredith will probably end-up being the Bills' starting LT.

The rest is no big surprise. Edwards has more starts than the other 3 combined and at this stage should be pencilled-in as the starter, but that may change. Spiller and McKelvin "starting" is semantics since you need 3 good CB "starters" these days, and the RB's will share carries. Hardy was a 2nd rounder and Johnson hasn't exactly been a stud, so Hardy gets the early nod. And Kelsay starts unless Schobel comes back.

Relying on D. Bell as your starting LT is a recipe for disaster, again. Not every hole can be filled in one off-season, but if you don't at least patch a gaping hole on the left side you are damaging the prospects of your skill position players. Having D. Bell playing behind a veteran LT and giving him periodic playing time would be the best approach to develop him. That is what the SB Saints did with their young LT Bushrod.

Although there has been a lot of mean spirited lambasting of Edwards he is going to be designated relatively early in the qb competition as the starting qb. Those early enthusiasts of Brohm are going to be silenced and fade away rather quickly when they see the HC directing him to the back of the line. What the Brohm afficionados will soon learn is that being obnoxiously loud doesn't mean that you are right. Being quietly right is better than being boisterously wrong.

If Kirk Chambers earns a roster spot this organization should be ashamed. When a player hasn't even reached the level of being mediocre and continues to make the roster then it is an indictment of the franchise. Pitiful and pathetic.

When did that happen? I don't think he will or they would have announced it by now.

Ok, technically it has not happened.

Yet.

But nothing so far has been "required".

Even these practices are optional.

Back in March, AS was scheduled to receive a $2M roster bonus. All he had to do is come to Buffalo and pass a physical.

Schobel has yet to collect the bonus.

In fact, he stated he was in no hurry to take the physical, and he was not stressing over the money.

Eek. It seems money is no longer the big motivational factor it once was.

Just wait. Once a required activity takes place, I think you will see Schobel declare his retirement.

Depth chart

Offense

Defense

Most of this list I would agree with, with the possible exceptions of:

-Fred Jackson will be the starting RB. Spiller is going to be the Darren Sproles type of back, and I don't know if he will ever be a 3 down back in the NFL, if he does it won't be the beginning of his rookie season. Odd as it may sound, and I wish they would have dumped him, but if anyone beats out Fred Jackson for the job to open the season it would be Lynch.

-I sure hope he is, but not sure Wood will be ready to start during the season opener, so it is a good chance that Chambers will be at that position when the season kicks off.

-What if Schobel plays? He is probably our best defensive player, so I think he has to start, who would that bump from the starting lineup? My guess is Maybin, at least initially and probably Kelsay before the season ends.

-I won't be surprised if Whitner starts the opener, but I give it until about week 3 or 4 before George Wilson takes his job for good.

-With what they are paying Mitchell, I still think there is a good chance he starts somewhere, but if he doesn't, is there a chance he will get cut or traded? Can't really see Ralph paying someone that much to ride the bench. He might not even be ready yet from the serious injury last year, if not it is a mute point.

Depth chart

Offense

Defense

The only ones that are remotely controversal are McKelvin and Spiller, but neither are that out of left field. I read an article in TBN today that alluded to Schobel playing DE for us this year - these guys are jokes for the most part anyways.

Agreed. When Kirk Chambers is even invited to training camp something is seriously wrong. At least bring in a veteran who has done it (well) before or a young guy with at least halfway decent upside.

Kirk Chambers will be cut just like he was last year.

We brought him back only because we were decimated with injuries on our OL. We'll keep him through camp so that he can learn the system and therefore we have another emergency backup should the line get decimated with injuries. That's all. Move along, nothing to see here. Move along.

McKelvin is not going to unseat Florence. Florence has too much experience, and with a veteran coaching staff that needs to get out of the gates fast, they are not going to feel obligated to play the young guy just because he was a high pick.

McKelvin started at corner for quite a few games over the last couple of years. He was learning very quickly and becoming a very good starting corner back. I think he'll be the starter on opening day over Florence.

McKelvin could easily be the starter. The new coaching staff isn't concerned with getting out of the gates fast. They're concerned with building their team for now and the future. Nix and Gailey have talked about this ad-infinitum. They brought in a few vets during FA and even Dwan Edwards is a young vet. Everyone else they have are young guys. They didn't bring in a whole lot of long-toothed veterans for a reason. They want to develop the youth they already have.

I think our starters will be

Q- Edwards

RB- Jackson

RB- Spiller

WR- Evans

WR- Hardy

TE- Nelson

LT- Meredith

LG- Levitre

C- Hangartner

RG- Wood

RT- Green

( people are so conditioned to see a Fb in the starting lineup, but most teams don't even do that anymore. FOr example, the Colts list 2 Te's in their starting lineup, and the Saints list Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas)

DE- Edwards

DT- Williams

DE- Stroud

OLB- Maybin

ILB- Poz

ILB- Davis

OLB- Ellis

CB- McKelvin

CB- McGee

FS- Byrd

SS- Whitner

PR- Parrish

KR- Spiller

K- Lindell

P- Moorman

ITs very difficult to become a standup LB from a DE and have to cover guys after not doing it for 10 years. Watch and see how kelsay who wasnt a good DE struggles with LB

I'm not so sure this reasoning is correct. I don't think the OLBs in the 3-4 are going to be asked to cover like they were in the Tampa 2. I think the majority of the time he is going to be covering a back out of the backfield. I don't think he'll be covering TEs on seem routes. I think the key especially with Kelsey will be putting him in position to succeed. If he's in there on 3rd and long as an OLB, then we're in trouble. I don't see any problem with him being in there on 3rd and short though. The TEs, while he's in the ame, are going to have to be covered by the SS unless they are more blocking types.

I think how few times Kelsey is exposed as playing out of position will be a huge reflection on how well George Edwards designs the defense. The entire coaching staff has been saying that they will design their schemes around the players on the roster and this has to be especially tru eof the defense because they look like a hybrid defense on paper. If Kelsey is getting burned on seem routes all year, Edwards needs to go.

Ok, technically it has not happened.

Yet.

But nothing so far has been "required".

Even these practices are optional.

Back in March, AS was scheduled to receive a $2M roster bonus. All he had to do is come to Buffalo and pass a physical.

Schobel has yet to collect the bonus.

In fact, he stated he was in no hurry to take the physical, and he was not stressing over the money.

Eek. It seems money is no longer the big motivational factor it once was.

Just wait. Once a required activity takes place, I think you will see Schobel declare his retirement.

Truly and finally find out whether he really wants to retire (as has been rumored on this board going back a couple of years) or would be willing to be traded.

Send him down home to Texas and get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him; considering the limited value teams would put on him if he is imminently close to retirement in the next couple of years.

Truly and finally find out whether he really wants to retire (as has been rumored on this board going back a couple of years) or would be willing to be traded.

Send him down home to Texas and get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him; considering the limited value teams would put on him if he is imminently close to retirement in the next couple of years.

Unless he's just blowing smoke, he said he does not want to be traded.

He either plays as a Bill, or he retires.

IMO, I think he's done, and it's only a matter of time before he files the paper work.

He has shown money is not an issue, and I think the longer he stays home, enjoying that kind of environment, the harder it will be to go back playing.

McKelvin could easily be the starter. The new coaching staff isn't concerned with getting out of the gates fast. They're concerned with building their team for now and the future. Nix and Gailey have talked about this ad-infinitum. They brought in a few vets during FA and even Dwan Edwards is a young vet. Everyone else they have are young guys. They didn't bring in a whole lot of long-toothed veterans for a reason. They want to develop the youth they already have.

I'd be very surprised if McLovin doesn't start over Florence. Leodis is one of precious few Bills players that has a legitimate chance to be a star in this league. Byrd and Spiller may be the only other ones. Perhaps Wood.

The only ones that are remotely controversal are McKelvin and Spiller, but neither are that out of left field. I read an article in TBN today that alluded to Schobel playing DE for us this year - these guys are jokes for the most part anyways.

This from Buffalo Bills.com: "Steve Johnson for the second time this week was lined up opposite Lee Evans at receiver with the first offensive unit." While Hardy may have had the early lead in the competition for a starting slot, it looks like Johnson is closing the gap.

I'd be very surprised if McLovin doesn't start over Florence. Leodis is one of precious few Bills players that has a legitimate chance to be a star in this league. Byrd and Spiller may be the only other ones. Perhaps Wood.

I wouldn't be suprised if McGee or Florence are traded this year. Seems like we could get something for one of them and we have a few cb's that can fill the nickel role. One variable is who can play in this defense and who can't, that may determine who is out.

This from Buffalo Bills.com: "Steve Johnson for the second time this week was lined up opposite Lee Evans at receiver with the first offensive unit." While Hardy may have had the early lead in the competition for a starting slot, it looks like Johnson is closing the gap.

I don't think it means a thing. It was very likely scheduled like that, the way they are scheduling the QBs with the different units. I don't really expect Chad Jackson or Easley to rotate too much with the first units, but they are going to give Johnson a chance to beat out Hardy, and need to see him work with the ones. Gailey all but said so when he makes comments about how it's not fair to evaluate guys playing with the second and third units against those playing with the firsts. I doubt that anyone on the team has gone up or down on the depth chart.

Here's my two cents:

I think our starters will be:

OFFENSE:

QB- Edwards

RB- Jackson

RB- Spiller (gives added dimension as a pass catcher)

WR- Evans

WR- Hardy (better measurables than the other WRs on the roster)

TE- Nelson

LT- Outside Veteran Player (this spot has to be imporved for Bills to have a chance to compete)

LG- Levitre

C- Hangartner

RG- Wood

RT- Green

DEFENSE:

DE- Stroud

DT- Williams

DE- Edwards

OLB- Schobel/Kelsay

ILB- Poz

ILB- Mitchell

OLB- Maybin

CB- McKelvin

CB- McGee

FS- Byrd

SS- Whitner

PR- Parrish

KR- Spiller

K- Lindell

P- Moorman.

We must find a proven, vet LT to give ourselves a chance to win. I think the Bills will evetually sign someone if they plan to try to win this year.

T. Edwards could have a pretty good year under Gailey's tutledge. That is as long as the O-line does a capable job.

Spiller and Hardy are interesting additions to the offense. They could both be very exciting players to watch this year.

Green is a questionable starter, but probably the best that the Bills currently have at RT.

Mitchell starts ahead of Poz and Davis at ILB.

McKelvin becomes a stud this year.

I like Maybin to have a breakout year this year as well.

Not so sure how the Schobel/Kelsay thing will work out at OLB. The Bills almost need to consider putting Mitchell at SOLB, let Schobel/Maybin/Kelsay play WOLB (pass rushing position), and then start Poz and davis at ILB.

Here's my two cents:

I think our starters will be:

OFFENSE:

QB- Edwards

RB- Jackson

RB- Spiller (gives added dimension as a pass catcher)

WR- Evans

WR- Hardy (better measurables than the other WRs on the roster)

TE- Nelson

LT- Outside Veteran Player (this spot has to be imporved for Bills to have a chance to compete)

LG- Levitre

C- Hangartner

RG- Wood

RT- Green

DEFENSE:

DE- Stroud

DT- Williams

DE- Edwards

OLB- Schobel/Kelsay

ILB- Poz

ILB- Mitchell

OLB- Maybin

CB- McKelvin

CB- McGee

FS- Byrd

SS- Whitner

PR- Parrish

KR- Spiller

K- Lindell

P- Moorman.

We must find a proven, vet LT to give ourselves a chance to win. I think the Bills will evetually sign someone if they plan to try to win this year.

T. Edwards could have a pretty good year under Gailey's tutledge. That is as long as the O-line does a capable job.

Spiller and Hardy are interesting additions to the offense. They could both be very exciting players to watch this year.

Green is a questionable starter, but probably the best that the Bills currently have at RT.

Mitchell starts ahead of Poz and Davis at ILB.

McKelvin becomes a stud this year.

I like Maybin to have a breakout year this year as well.

Not so sure how the Schobel/Kelsay thing will work out at OLB. The Bills almost need to consider putting Mitchell at SOLB, let Schobel/Maybin/Kelsay play WOLB (pass rushing position), and then start Poz and davis at ILB.

I would agree with most of that with a couple exceptions:

No way Mitchell starts ahead of Davis at ILB though, barring injury. They have basically already made Davis the captain as he is responsible for calling the defensive signals. Plus he is very good against the run. So he will line up on first downs with the starters.

I still think Schobel is returning, so I think it will be Schobel and Maybin starting on opening day, again barring injury.

It's highly likely that starting on game one, series one, is Troup at NT, simply because it will be first and ten. Troup should play the run downs and Williams the pass downs at NT, although it may overlap a little. Unless Troup tanks, which isn't likely as he is the only run stuffer we got, and he has apparently looked good in practice so far, he will be with the starters about half the plays.

I don't think it means a thing. It was very likely scheduled like that, the way they are scheduling the QBs with the different units. I don't really expect Chad Jackson or Easley to rotate too much with the first units, but they are going to give Johnson a chance to beat out Hardy, and need to see him work with the ones. Gailey all but said so when he makes comments about how it's not fair to evaluate guys playing with the second and third units against those playing with the firsts. I doubt that anyone on the team has gone up or down on the depth chart.

I suspect there's more than a little truth to this post. At least, if I was in Gailey's place, I wouldn't want to make premature decisions about who my starters would be. Better to give the players a chance to gain some familiarity with the offense before deciding which ones are the best at their respective positions.

I also agree with your point that Johnson will be given an opportunity to earn a starting spot at WR.

You know the Bills weren't really blown out of games last year, and that being said I feel that some games this year will be. I have stated several times the Bills might goo 8-8 or a lucky 9-7. They will get crushed a few games but with the offense that will finally have a coordinator that knows how to call plays they will be a better interesting team. People on here say Bell isn't that good, but last year several critics indicated that Bell has the potential to be a solid LT. This year I feel he will show he is good. I feel the line will be better because the offense will not be predictable and defenses won't be able to just take a shot at the qb. That was the biggest issue with the Bills was they were predictable and never caught people off guard. This year our offense will be a bit better, but our d will be young and not be solid coming from a 4-3 to a 3-4. This is why they will get blown out a few times this year because of the system. That was the issue for us the last few years, the difference is we have a coach that knows this and will make it right. Bills take the division back in 2 years!!!!