More good News about Big Ben...

KOKBILLS

His reputation of being a complete a-hole must be well known about town because there was surprisingly large support there for shipping his ass out. The Georgia issues seemed to be the last straw for a lot of Steeler fans.

This is like the Tiger Woods drama. One person comes forward and reveals what a bag of douche the person really is. It blows up in the athlete's face and has a snowball effect, with more and more people coming forward, lending credibility to the accusations of the athlete's douch-bag-ery.

Congrats Big Ben, the whole world now knows who you really are and you've successfully managed to tarnish your legacy and alienate yourself from everyone.

I will defend Ben R.

The fact is the Steelers were used to being a good team with sucky QB's for the last 20 years. They then get this prima donna star QB, who is suddenly "the man," and my guess is that there were a lot of egos that took a hit (e.g., "Wines Hard," Joey Porter, etc.)

The fact is Ben R. is the star QB on that team, and was the reason that they won two Super Bowls. He probably has the same prima donna attitude that any of the other star QB's of the past had.

Prima donna attitude is not very becoming of a leader.

I will defend Ben R.

The fact is the Steelers were used to being a good team with sucky QB's for the last 20 years. They then get this prima donna star QB, who is suddenly "the man," and my guess is that there were a lot of egos that took a hit (e.g., "Wines Hard," Joey Porter, etc.)

The fact is Ben R. is the star QB on that team, and was the reason that they won two Super Bowls. He probably has the same prima donna attitude that any of the other star QB's of the past had.

No. It sounds like he's just an a-hole.

I am not defending this turd as I don't like steelers and have no respect for these guys that have the world in their hands and make one bad choice after another... There is no excuse for him getting into the trouble he has, other than he is a scumbag.

That said, I am certain we used to hear the same stories (referring to the locker room gossip stuff only) about Jimbo...

I am not defneding this turd as I don't like steelers and have no respect for these guys that have the world in their hands and make one bad choice after another... There is no excuse for him getting into the trouble he has, other than he is a scumbag.

That said, I am certain we used to hear the same stories (referring to the locker room gossip stuff only) about Jimbo...

Last to come and first to leave? Not fraternizing with the team? I highly doubt that with Kelly. You do remember the parties he used to have after games at his place don't you?

Last to come and first to leave? Not fraternizing with the team? I highly doubt that with Kelly. You do remember the parties he used to have after games at his place don't you?

Correct. Yeah, the party-hearty stuff is definitely out there about Jim and the boys -- just mentioned to a friend this morning that it's a good thing we didn't have cellphone cameras and TMZ.com back when he held his football camps at Bona -- but a lot of those guys STILL hang out together. Hell, that's part of the reason Thurman and Patti moved back here, and I've heard a rumor that Kent Hull might do the same.

I will defend Ben R.

I agree. Also, I've run into him around Pittsburgh a few times and always found him to be a nice, down to earth guy. I also know people that live in his neighborhood, and every year he throws a neighborhood party and invites all the children from around the neighborhood. But publishing a story about that wouldn't really fit with the media's current angle, would it?

I will defend Ben R.

I'll give you the 2nd SB but he was certainly not the reason fir the first. "The Pittsburgh Steelers won Super Bowl XL 21-10 over the Seattle Seahawks in Detroit on February 5, 2006. Roethlisberger had one of the worst passing games of his career, completing just nine of 21 passes for 123 yards and two interceptions; his passer rating of 22.6 was the lowest in Super Bowl history by a winning quarterback."

Correct. Yeah, the party-hearty stuff is definitely out there about Jim and the boys -- just mentioned to a friend this morning that it's a good thing we didn't have cellphone cameras and TMZ.com back when he held his football camps at Bona -- but a lot of those guys STILL hang out together. Hell, that's part of the reason Thurman and Patti moved back here, and I've heard a rumor that Kent Hull might do the same.

That brings up a good point Lori. A lot of those guys back then were far from angels, but we only got an occasional local news story about possible shennanigans.

I can't even imagine what kind of media insanity and league troubles could have spun out of control over Bruce and some of his alleged off-field activities assuming any of it somehow ended up on TMZ.

:P

I agree. Also, I've run into him around Pittsburgh a few times and always found him to be a nice, down to earth guy. I also know people that live in his neighborhood, and every year he throws a neighborhood party and invites all the children from around the neighborhood. But publishing a story about that wouldn't really fit with the media's current angle, would it?

Nope. He's still got a ways to go before being pounded down to the bottom of the barrel. It ain't easy being the pro athlete public enemy #1, but the Tiger story is played so we needed someone new.

I will defend Ben R.

This may be petty/picky but Ben had nothing to do with that win over the Seahawks (I think he had the worst stats of any SB winning QB). The refs and the Steeler D but not Rapesliburger!

Steve McNair?

:P

I suppose Steve Mcnair's partying is pretty well documented but the comparison completely ends there. In fact, everything about Mcnair beyond the partying, is the opposite of Big Ben.

Mcnair was beloved both publicly and within the locker room. He was supposedly a pretty humble guy.

I will defend Ben R.

Seriously?

So any of the star QB's of the past don't want to pay when they go to a Restaurant?

I know there are Folks in Athletics and Entertainment who feel their celebrity is SO important they should not have to pay like the little people...And I know there are worse things (like forcing yourself on a drunk girl in a Bathroom)...But honestly, there is almost nothing I can stomach less than that type of arrogance...A guy who makes millions of dollars PER GAME and he does not want to pay for food and drinks??? That's so rediculously petty it SCREAMS d*ckhead...

I doubt that's par for the course among star QB's...I may be wrong but I doubt it...Could you see Payton Manning or Drew Brees not wanting to pay for their meals? :P

Go back and check out what he did in the playoffs leading up to that Super Bowl. He may have had a bad Super Bowl performance, but he's the reason they got there, IMO (including making perhaps the greatest tackle in Steelers' history against the Colts).

I would also add that this is irrelevant to my original point, which is that he's a star QB and has an arrogant attitude probably similar to a lot of other star QB's.

Who?

This is like the Tiger Woods drama. One person comes forward and reveals what a bag of douche the person really is. It blows up in the athlete's face and has a snowball effect, with more and more people coming forward, lending credibility to the accusations of the athlete's douch-bag-ery.

Congrats Big Ben, the whole world now knows who you really are and you've successfully managed to tarnish your legacy and alienate yourself from everyone.

Pretty soon the towel boy and the janitor will get their shots in.

This is exactly the reason that the Bills chose not to pursue negotiations with the Stillers for a Roethlisberger trade. It had nothing to do with the incident in Georgia, it was about his complete lack of leadership and commitment. That was not the guy who they wanted to bring into their locker room.

What goes around, comes around. I really want him to suck this season just to see the Pittsburgh fans in meltdown mode.

What he said. :)

I don't know if that's true or not. I'm not defending Ben but when people start piling on I'm reminded of the syringe in the Pepsi can story.

If you don't remember it, it happened about 15 years ago. (I think) A woman reported finding a syringe in her Pepsi can and started to sue Pepsi. Pretty soon there were about 20 reports of syringes found in Pepsi cans.

Pepsi then released video of how their cans were filled and topped showing it would be impossible for that to happen. The original plaintiff had to eventually admit she lied and every other person admitted they had lied too. Back then the more people who came out, the more I became convinced that it was a real problem for Pepsi. I figured that they must have a disgruntled employee. When the truth came out I was taught a big lesson. Sometimes if there is anything to be gained from it people will pile on.

Go back and check out what he did in the playoffs leading up to that Super Bowl. He may have had a bad Super Bowl performance, but he's the reason they got there, IMO (including making perhaps the greatest tackle in Steelers' history against the Colts).

I would also add that this is irrelevant to my original point, which is that he's a star QB and has an arrogant attitude probably similar to a lot of other star QB's.

There is a fine line between confident and arrogant. I think the vast majority of successful QB's straddle that line fairly well. Peyton and Eli Manning are probably the best examples. The inability to straddle that line and go way over it may be one of the reasons Clausen fell so far in the draft, JMO.

Didn't sound like Brett Favre's teammates on the Jets liked him very much. John Elway basically forced a trade to get his pick of teams in the draft. Eli Manning actually did the same thing. This reporter thought Montana was pretty arrogant:

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/wiley/001220.html

Of course, this is all speculation--including the stuff on Big Ben--but it sounds like a lot of great QB's have egos and aren't very pleasant people.

Successful confident people are often disliked by the less successful and less confident people around them.

True, sometimes it is jealousy, other times the successful guy is an asshat.

No doubt about it but often times sucessful people are focused so they don't have time or the desire get involved with the water cooler type crap which is sometimes misdiagnosed as being an !@#$. I don't think this is the case with Ben seeing it's come from people outside the organization.

Successful confident people are often disliked by the less successful and less confident people around them.

True . . . but so are dicks . . . especially ones that walk around with their dicks hanging out of their pants hitting on falling down drunk girls.

I have no doubt that the Bills did not go after him when he was supposedly available because of what Whaley knows/thinks about him.

True . . . but so are dicks . . . especially ones that walk around with their dicks hanging out of their pants hitting on falling down drunk girls.

I have no doubt that the Bills did not go after him when he was supposedly available because of what Whaley knows/thinks about him.

Just to clarify I wasn't talking about BR in my post.

Well, well, well. Ben is a miscreant.

In hindsight, this story of him being a locker room dork is consistent with the story of the dork who thinks he can ride a motorcycle without a helmet, and get away with it because he is B.R. after all.

"Laws of cranium physics? Naw, that doesn't apply to me. Mine is made of rock."

Gary Busey Junior. Except Gary Busey came around to reality.

This is exactly the reason that the Bills chose not to pursue negotiations with the Stillers for a Roethlisberger trade. It had nothing to do with the incident in Georgia, it was about his complete lack of leadership and commitment. That was not the guy who they wanted to bring into their locker room.

This team can't afford to be picky-choosy. The guy's a damn good QB, something we haven't had since Kelly retired. Arse or not, the Bills really need a good QB.