We're not going to be a good team in 2010

ANd the sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll probably be willing to give Buddy Nix the benefit of the doubt on this draft.

Jauron and Levy left this team void of talent. Our 2006 first round draft pick has been rumored to be on the trade block, our other one can't get on the field. Our 2007 first round draft pick is now 3rd string, and rumored to be on the trade block.

McKelvin looks promising when healthy, and Maybin too early to tell.

But the point remains, Levy and Jauron tried to base this team around smaller speedy guys, and now Nix and Gailey are forced to retool this entire roster with adequate sized players.

I think Nix and Gailey understand this team is probably not going to be in the mix this year, and they need to fix whats wrong under the hood before they worry about the paint job. They had a top 10 pick, and instead of doing what Levy did EVERYTIME, picking a player who fit the number 1 need, Nix took the absolute best player available. How can you fault him for that?

If this team is built up in 2 years, Spiller will still be here. So, drafting for your primary need in 2010 made very little sense when 2010 is most likely a throw away year . You can't overcome a decade of mediocrity in one off-season. Hopefully RW is patient enough with Nix, and hopefully Gailey turns out to be the right coach for this team.

We haven't been a good team for 15 years...what else is new? The Buffalo Bills are a joke. I now follow this team as an odd curiosity, but I'm not the fan I once was (for most of my life). Thasnk God I don't live in Buffalo.

Oh well...

The reason I like this post so much is because it speaks to both the fanatic apologists, and the chronic pessimists. You made a lot of fantastic points, but what rings true is that everyone just needs to be patient for this whole rebuilding thing to show real improvement.

The reason I like this post so much is because it speaks to both the fanatic apologists, and the chronic pessimists. You made a lot of fantastic points, but what rings true is that everyone just needs to be patient for this whole rebuilding thing to show real improvement.

And for the people who scream " We have been rebuilding for 15 years".......you're right....but that's not fair to Nix.

Rebuilding isn't drafting scheme specific players for two years, then changing coaches and schemes, then re-building the roster to fit that scheme.

Like it or not, Nix is in year-one. We are in year 12 of suffering, but this is year one with a talent depleted roster. THis is a lot like 2001. We drafted a lot of bodies to fill potential roles, and the record will probably get worse. And just like in 2001, they stuck with Rob Johnson because they weren't going to win anyway. In 2002 they made their aggressive play for a QB once the roster was shaped better.

We haven't been a good team for 15 years...what else is new? The Buffalo Bills are a joke. I now follow this team as an odd curiosity, but I'm not the fan I once was (for most of my life). Thasnk God I don't live in Buffalo.

Oh well...

Buffalo thanks God that you don't live here either.

Buffalo thanks God that you don't live here either.

Meanwhile God thanks Buffalo for continually falling for every hilarious prank he has pulled on the city for the last 100 years. It couldn't be done without their unmatched fascination for sports and the rest of the nation's attention.

But let's not forget that even with the Levy/DJ teams, each of the last three years, they were 5-10 bad coaching plays and 5-10 injuries away from winning 3-4 more games per season... even with the confusion offense & Tampon-2. Anything can happen. I think this team can be competitive.

Oh well...

Maybe you should !@#$ off then?

But let's not forget that even with the Levy/DJ teams, each of the last three years, they were 5-10 bad coaching plays and 5-10 injuries away from winning 3-4 more games per season... even with the confusion offense & Tampon-2. Anything can happen. I think this team can be competitive.

:pirate: LOL!

I don't know which is funnier. Love "The Confusion Offense". Perfect. So is the Tampon-2 :flirt:

I don't think any (rational) fan of the Bills ever thought this years team was going to be a playoff contender or even a .500 club. Fact is this team has a serious dearth in talent, a brand new offensive and defensive scheme\philosophy. It takes a good team a season, if not two to completely buy into a new scheme -- so expecting a very raw and untalented roster to do it in one off season is unrealistic and unfair.

However, the question you should be asking is whether this rebuilding project has better architects than the past three or if its just more of the same. The Spiller pick to me is a huge red flag that this front office is just the same as before -- ie clueless about how to properly build a wining foundation. Taking a RB, no matter how good, at 9 is stupid. I'm sorry. Its even worse when that RB isn't going to be an every down player and will split carries with not one, but TWO other 1,000 yard rushers.

The rest of the draft was muddled for me. It appears they focused on shoring up the defensive front 7 which was long over due. However, I don't claim to know enough about the players they picked to say that they upgraded with Kyle Williams type talent (yes, he had an awesome year last year) or if they got a bunch of Chris Ellises and John McCargos. If they hadn't blown the first pick so spectacularly I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. But now I'm a bit suspect albeit optimistic.

Still, the utter failure to address the OLine (not impressed with Wang or the other G they got) is silly. Especially when they could have traded back from 9, picked up one of the better OTs (like the guy who went at the start of round 2 to the Rams) AND gotten another pick is just sheer stupidity to me. I'm fine with not taking a QB if they didn't feel that there was a legit franchise guy there. That's fine. But you can't convince me that Wang is going to be a day one starter which means our starting OLine is perhaps the worst in the NFL now. In fact it got worse over the off season w Butlers retirement. Bell, Levitre, Wood, Handgarter, and Green? Awesome.

So now, best case scenario the Front Office has fixed the defensive line this off season. That's all. That still leaves huge holes on the OL, WR corps, LB corps and a franchise QB. I know its impossible to fix everything in one off season but I don't think its unfair to expect the front office to try to fix TWO or THREE of the issues.

The only way we are going to find a Franchise QB is to have a top 3 pick in the draft. I doubt that will happen. But even if it did, they'd still need serious help at OT, LB and WR meaning they'd have just as many holes to fill NEXT year.

I'm sorry that's not pessimism. That's the truth. So I can't blame people who are upset with this offseason. Not because they expected to win now but because they expected the front office to address more than just one of the dozens of holes on this team. They simply can't go one hole at a timr.

I knew they were not going to be good in 2010 before the draft. That should have been obvious to everyone. The draft just confirms it. Spiller was the flashy pick to sell tickets. The rest of the draft is filled with projects and future potential. If they hit on 3 or 4 guys then great. We won't know for a couple years. It's going to take another draft or two before they actually start to show improvement on the field. In fact, I think they will finish worse than they did in 2009. That's OK by me as long as they stick to their plan of building through the draft with mostly unknown, mostly small college guys with loads of potential. It doesn't sound like a great plan to me but nothing else has worked for the last 11 years. Looking at it objectively, they are probably a 4 win team- at best in 2010 and if the plan works, a .500 team in 2011 and a playoff contender in 2012 and a Super Bowl contender by 2013. They seriously need a franchise QB though and they do not have one of those right now. That is probably coming with a Top 5 pick in 2011. It's a rebuild from square one and it's undoing the mess Marv Levy and even Tom Donahoe left them with. That takes years, not one offseason.

I am all for the rebuilding - if we truly try to do it. I can sit through even 2 more bad years if there is some sort of light at the end of the tunnel. Wood and Levitre should be at the tops of their game in 3 years. We just need to add a couple more quality guys there and I think we will be fine.

And for the people who scream " We have been rebuilding for 15 years".......you're right....but that's not fair to Nix.

Rebuilding isn't drafting scheme specific players for two years, then changing coaches and schemes, then re-building the roster to fit that scheme.

Like it or not, Nix is in year-one. We are in year 12 of suffering, but this is year one with a talent depleted roster. THis is a lot like 2001. We drafted a lot of bodies to fill potential roles, and the record will probably get worse. And just like in 2001, they stuck with Rob Johnson because they weren't going to win anyway. In 2002 they made their aggressive play for a QB once the roster was shaped better.

Good post - I agree that there were a lot of mistakes that were not even related. Getting rid of the Off. Coordinator right before the season was just one of the huge ones (DJ should have known earlier to get rid of him). Gailey is right to decide his scheme first and then try to draft for that scheme especially since Denney, Schobel, Stroud, Kelsay and even Maybin are living on very limited time. Can we wait for 3 years - or are we going to be faked into this team "maybe" being good at the beginning of the season and getting rid of Chan and starting this revolving door process all over again?

The Spillar pick did help fill a need I think. He is going to really help the passing game and help fix the need at reciever. Especially if Trent becomes our starter, I can see spillar being trent's new check down favorite. Plus spillar can be used as an extra blocker to protect the QB if needed.

As for the rest of the guys, I don't really know. But they seem to expect troup to play 30+ snaps a a game. With the addition of troup and Davis, this team should be well improved on run defense, which will be great. So it looks like we can stop the run and stop the pass, the only thing this defense really needs to do is rush the passer. Which it has the potential to do, but there are a lot of question marks.

Overall, I think that if the spillar pick was an OT, a lot more people would like this draft. And I might even like it a little more myself. But personally, I think that this draft would have been a lot easier had the maybin pick last year been michael oher.

If this draft works out well, I think our biggest needs next year will be QB, LT, and OLB with most of the other positions being at least ok if not better.

However, the question you should be asking is whether this rebuilding project has better architects than the past three or if its just more of the same. The Spiller pick to me is a huge red flag that this front office is just the same as before -- ie clueless about how to properly build a wining foundation. Taking a), no matter how good, at 9 is stupid. I'm sorry. Its even worse when that) isn't going to be an every down player and will split carries with not one, but TWO other 1,000 yard rushers.

Every apologist should read this post.

Oh well...

Wow, i couldnt have said it better myself....except i do live in western NY.

I love the "odd curiosity" term....This team was a great passion of mine for many years, now i feel like i only watch and follow them due to some obligation because i live here. They have ripped out of me all the love i had for the team. Sad

Let''s hope he lives long enough for Nix and Gailey to turn the team around :thumbsup: .

If he doesn't, oh well. He let 10 years of his football life (and ours) pass him by and has no one to blame but himself for running this team into the ground over the last decade.

I hate to say it but you are probably right.

Nix and Gailey have started the movement to make this team bigger, stronger, and quicker.

Nix and Gailey know we have Capt checkdown qb's so they drafted Spiller, some one that can make the big play on checkdowns. I agree with the pick.

I feel that we could have drafted Clausen in 2 and still ended up with the picks we a got a round later.

Didn't fully understand the draft logic.

The Bills shouldn't have to become a worst team to become better..not sure if the FO feels the same.

With that being said I like the picks that were made Troup has a history of being a long term starter that can play every down and that doesn't take off plays. Thats why other DT's were on the board longer.

Carrington has small school beast potential.

I look forward to seeing the defense this year.

However I am going through cornerback withdrawal..round after round and still no cornerbacks.

WTF! I don't care what the needs are, the Bills are supposed to draft at least 3 db's whether we need them or not.

I'm still giving ChanNix the benefit of the doubt...let see what they put on the field.

Overall, I think that if the spillar pick was an OT, a lot more people would like this draft. And I might even like it a little more myself. But personally, I think that this draft would have been a lot easier had the maybin pick last year been michael oher..

Your point about Maybin..... I completely agree!

As to some of you others, I just don't see how you feel that we will win fewer than 6 games. I've said this before: We won 6 games in spite of Dick Jauron and his bumbling clownery (yes- it's a word) of coaches and also in spite of massive injuries.

Fact. Our O line will be better. Levetre, Wood will no longer be rookies and will be better players (assuming Wood is 100%). Fact Wood, Bell, Hangy and Levetre will have 1 season playing together and therefore should show noticible improvement.

The Bills had terrible luck last year (CLE, JAX and NE Opener). Even if we go from having no luck to just having terrible luck, it will be an improvement. Combined with an improved roster and real coaching..... I think the Bills will end up between 7-9 -- 9-7 (but will miss the playoffs).

Oh well...

See ya... :thumbsup:

But the point remains, Levy and Jauron tried to base this team around smaller speedy guys, and now Nix and Gailey are forced to retool this entire roster with adequate sized players.

I think Nix and Gailey understand this team is probably not going to be in the mix this year, and they need to fix whats wrong under the hood before they worry about the paint job. They had a top 10 pick, and instead of doing what Levy did EVERYTIME, picking a player who fit the number 1 need, Nix took the absolute best player available. How can you fault him for that?

If this team is built up in 2 years, Spiller will still be here. So, drafting for your primary need in 2010 made very little sense when 2010 is most likely a throw away year . You can't overcome a decade of mediocrity in one off-season. Hopefully RW is patient enough with Nix, and hopefully Gailey turns out to be the right coach for this team.

Dick Levy took more small players than any rebuilding team should. And Buddy Gailey just continued that trend by taking a 200# RB who will operate behind an OL with absolutely no quality at OT.

Maybe the defense will be better. Maybe not. But there's no denying the offense will continue to suffer, and Chan Gailey is not the offensive wizard like the homers around here claim he is.

Buffalo bottoms out in 2010.

Oh well...

I used to live in Buffalo. Grew up there matter of fact. I still like visiting and am proud as heck of my hometown. Been a bills fan through think and thin. I think we will see some exciting play this season. No miracles, but no blowouts either. Go Bills! :thumbsup:

If Gailey is a good coach the Bills will surprise people. They have never been that bad. You can chalk up every close loss to Dick(less) Jauron's tepid coaching. If Gailey is as good as some people say there's no reason why the Bills can't win 9 games this year. 9 games is not impossible. How did the Dolfags go from 1 to 11 wins in one year?

Oh well...

man I can't even comprehend this. I bleed red white and blue. The buffalo bills are my favorite team, win or lose. And always will be( unless they move that is, then i reserve judgement to change my mind). what is it with fairweather fans?

If Gailey is a good coach the Bills will surprise people. They have never been that bad. You can chalk up every close loss to Dick(less) Jauron's tepid coaching. If Gailey is as good as some people say there's no reason why the Bills can't win 9 games this year. 9 games is not impossible. How did the Dolfags go from 1 to 11 wins in one year?

I guess you drank the Kool-Aid too! JK. I can't see why so many posters find that it's beyond the realm of belief that the Bills could actually win 9 games this year. Thats what 10 years of poo poo flavored football will do to some people I guess.

Nix has said as much. There are too many holes to fill with just one draft. Sounds like we will be primarily a running team next year, and maybe that's why Marshawn is still a Bill. I hope we can get a few more decent players through FA or undrafted rookies. Time will tell. 3 months till camp . . .

Dick Levy took more small players than any rebuilding team should. And Buddy Gailey just continued that trend by taking a 200# RB who will operate behind an OL with absolutely no quality at OT.

Maybe the defense will be better. Maybe not. But there's no denying the offense will continue to suffer, and Chan Gailey is not the offensive wizard like the homers around here claim he is. Buffalo bottoms out in 2010.

no quality at ot? what a joke .the 3 interior spots are quality. a serviceable rt till they find an upgrade. left tackle is the only question mark and who knows, maybe they'll add a free agent there and maybe bell will improve or the guy they drafted will do the job. you certainly don't know he won't. but the o-line is certainly not as bad as YOU claim. if they didnt have so many injuries last year, they would have been much better.

and as for chan not being the offensive wizard us HOMERS claim he is, thats where most of his experience is. and we know he won't fire his o coordinater! Sure an hell cant be as bad as Jauron, a db coach. plus we got a dynamic player in spiller whos going to make the line look better. this offense will be MUCH better than last year. the only homer here is you.

However, the question you should be asking is whether this rebuilding project has better architects than the past three or if its just more of the same. The Spiller pick to me is a huge red flag that this front office is just the same as before -- ie clueless about how to properly build a wining foundation. Taking a RB, no matter how good, at 9 is stupid. I'm sorry. Its even worse when that RB isn't going to be an every down player and will split carries with not one, but TWO other 1,000 yard rushers.

The rest of the draft was muddled for me. It appears they focused on shoring up the defensive front 7 which was long over due. However, I don't claim to know enough about the players they picked to say that they upgraded with Kyle Williams type talent (yes, he had an awesome year last year) or if they got a bunch of Chris Ellises and John McCargos. If they hadn't blown the first pick so spectacularly I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. But now I'm a bit suspect albeit optimistic.

Still, the utter failure to address the OLine (not impressed with Wang or the other G they got) is silly. Especially when they could have traded back from 9, picked up one of the better OTs (like the guy who went at the start of round 2 to the Rams) AND gotten another pick is just sheer stupidity to me. I'm fine with not taking a QB if they didn't feel that there was a legit franchise guy there. That's fine. But you can't convince me that Wang is going to be a day one starter which means our starting OLine is perhaps the worst in the NFL now. In fact it got worse over the off season w Butlers retirement. Bell, Levitre, Wood, Handgarter, and Green? Awesome.

I disagree about the Spiller pick- it is better to take a dynamic player than to reach for a need, unless the needed player is very close to the best available player on your board. All of the blue chip OL's were already gone and I don't know if I even consider Davis or Williams in that category- Williams' laziness is the reason Bradford got hurt in the first place.

I am for creating a strength- so I am happy with focusing on the D-line and waiting on the O-line. We have upgraded just about every spot on the D-line and I think we can have at least an average defense this season- I do hope we look for upgrades next year, although we have to fix the worst OL in the league.

Its even worse when that RB isn't going to be an every down player and will split carries with not one, but TWO other 1,000 yard rushers.

where did you get that he isnt going to be an every down player in the NFL? i sure hope you are not just assuming that because of his size because he is basically the same size Thurman was when he played and a lot faster

he will be splitting carries with TWO other 1,000 rushers for ONE season at the most and that is if Lynch is even here which I think he will be but its not like he will be beyond this season

Chris Johnson split carries and didnt start his first year either...how did that work out

We'll go 6-10 at best, 4-12 more likely and 2-14 at worst.

You better hope for the 2-14, brings us closer to a franchise QB next draft without having to give up to much.

Private message me and I will take your lunch money on that line, unless that is just a depressed fan talking who hasn't gotten over Scott Norwood.

So what you are saying, is that in a year when we had everything go wrong (McKelvin fumble, everybody injured, Mauron no-huddle, fire your OC and cut your LT right before the season, change coaches during the season) and won 6 games, that suddenly we are so much worse than that is the "best" we can hope for? With a weaker schedule I might add?

Sorry, but you are way way off here, so let's make a deal. You sit tight, and we will let you know when we have six wins whether it is halfway through the 2010 season or the conclusion of the 2013 season, and you can come back and root for #7 (that Mauron achieved every season he got the chance).

We did not solve QB, but don't you think it is likely with Chan working with Edwards (if he wins the open competition) that we will be better there?

We did not solve LT, but do you really think we are worse off than 2010 when Bell was thrust in with zero experience next to a couple rookies in an ill-advised no-huddle and then got hurt?

Ditto the rest of our line. I expect more out of Wood-Leivitre-Meredith in 2011 than in 2010. Butler would be the loss, but he didn't exactly suit up for 16 last season.

It will remain to be seen how our conversion to a 3-4 goes, but we added some big bodies, get Mitchell back from injury, a maturing Poz healthy, and hopefully something rather than nothing from Maybin. A Schobel retirement could have a negative impact, but I see the front 7 better than last year no matter what.

Secondary was strong last year and with Byrd getting his wings under him as a second year player, and McKelvin back healthy, I would expect it to be stronger.

Receivers right now look worse, without TO and Reed, but that is depth chart, not performance. Pretty hard not to do better than 2010 in terms of performance here.

Backfield? We got likely the most dynamic playmaker of the draft ready to make big plays from Day 1. Freddie had a great year, but we are so obviously better here.

Special Teams? I miss Bobby April already, so I don't know how much we feel that loss, but getting McKelvin healthy for the return game (and mixing in some Spiller) should help there.

So if you ask me (and you shouldn't...I'm a baseball guy who just loves this team), we are clearly improved from a 6-10 bad luck team who had the worst injury season I have ever seen. I don't see how that turns us into a 4-12 team with a six win ceiling, but like I said I am happy to take your money if you weren't just being melodramatic.

And P.S.: Never "hope" for the losingest outcome. For every Peyton there is a Jamarcus, I look forward to drafting #32 some day, but I will happily take 8-15 even without the playoffs over 1,2,3.

Go Bills!

This is the thing.......

- We had so many injuries last year we dont even know what we have as a football team.....when you have a new Left Tackle every week......lose your 1st round pick RG to injury......well heck....basically every position except Center and Left Guard.....you just dont know what you have for an offensive line or if they would have gotten better as the season progressed. It is a complete unknown at this point.

- We are discounting just how bad of a situation we had with the offensive playcalling......we fired our OC RIGHT BEFORE THE SEASON without getting rid of Dick Jauron......it was like cutting off a limb when the whole body was diseased. If there is one thing that we know about the coach that has been brought in....he KNOWS HOW TO RUN AN OFFENSE....he also knows how to put an offense together to fit around the player rather then the other way around. He can take a player like CJ Spiller and manufacture points.

- All that said I expect improvement but not a realistic chance at playoffs.....unfortunately it will probably put us out of the running for whoever the top QB is out of next years draft....BUT what it might do is have this team show enough improvement that free agents that can help the team might actually want to come here.......I am hopeful of the WR's we have........but I need to see proof.....I am hopeful of Wang eventually being the LT....but I need to see proof........

i agree with adam, i believe they wanted an elite talent that can change the face of the game at 9, not just a role-player starter (d williams, d morgan, bulaga). Then they took the long-term approach with a lot of their remaining picks.

I think the FO knows "win now" mode is inappropriate for this team as there is not enough NFL talent on the roster. Hopefully the draft picks by Nix will be good ones and we'll continue to take the long term approach and be truly competitive in a couple years.

Inserting Mcnabb this year would have been a rerun of what happened when we got Bledsoe. You just cant fast-forward through a rebuilding process.

JMHO

Oh well...

Goodbye and good rid ens bandwagon jumper, I dont live in Buffalo anymore either, but the only worry I have about not being a bills fan is when/if there is no Bills, and I thought about it, and I hate every other team, so I guess im screwed if they move!!

I don't think any (rational) fan of the Bills ever thought this years team was going to be a playoff contender or even a .500 club. Fact is this team has a serious dearth in talent, a brand new offensive and defensive scheme\philosophy. It takes a good team a season, if not two to completely buy into a new scheme -- so expecting a very raw and untalented roster to do it in one off season is unrealistic and unfair.

So now, best case scenario the Front Office has fixed the defensive line this off season. That's all. That still leaves huge holes on the OL, WR corps, LB corps and a franchise QB. I know its impossible to fix everything in one off season but I don't think its unfair to expect the front office to try to fix TWO or THREE of the issues.

The only way we are going to find a Franchise QB is to have a top 3 pick in the draft. I doubt that will happen. But even if it did, they'd still need serious help at OT, LB and WR meaning they'd have just as many holes to fill NEXT year.

I'm sorry that's not pessimism. That's the truth. So I can't blame people who are upset with this offseason. Not because they expected to win now but because they expected the front office to address more than just one of the dozens of holes on this team. They simply can't go one hole at a timr.

Franchise QB's are found only on the top 3 picks in the draft? Tell that to Montana, Brady, or even 1st round picks like Kelly and Marino? Romo went undrafted....

Utter failure to address O-line? The tackles they liked were already gone so Spiller to them was the obvious choice. Take a very talented guy, or pass on him for a "need" pick that you're not really sold on? Nix spoke about this after the draft.

Again, Nix wasn't splashy enough for you it. Fine, we got it. I like what Nix said shortly after being hired as GM and that was that he drafted "football players", not workout warriors or the biggest "names". He watches tape. He and his scouts watch kids play.

Personally, I would have gone Clausen in Rd2, but Nix and Gailey clearly were not sold on him. We'll see how it plays out though as it appears that we did get help for the DL, which we SORELY needed., so my initial disappointed as subsided a bit.

Maybe they will be able to pull out a silk purse from the sows we believe we have at QB now.

hey deep2moulds -

just saying "oh it's year 1 in the process don't worry about need positions" makes no sense.

if they bills have clear need positions and do nothing to address them, how is that improving the team?

how can you retards not see that this is just more of the same from the bills? nix got promoted from janitor to gm because he would keep towing the party line.