While Nix & Co. enjoy Easter weekend, Skins steal McNabb

I definitely wanted McNabb here, and the "sour grapes" reaction of perpetually slighted Bills fans drives me nuts. And I don't buy the other stock phrase we hear every week around here, "He didn't want to be here." More people would "want to be here" if Ralph wasn't such a cheap, meddling monkey.

That allllllll said, the price was just too high in the end.

Exactly.

Eagles would've been better off though dumping him after he puked on what could've been the game-winning drive against the Pats in the Super Bowl. They would've gotten more value then, and based off what he did for them since, they wouldn't be any worse off today if they did.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always felt there was never a more underappreciated Qb than McNabb in Philly. He was booed when he was drafted and since went on to lead the franchise in almost all their passing categories, 5 nfc championship games, and superbowl. No, he never won it all, but neither did Jim Kelly.

I think the Philly fans are in for a rude awakening like the Bills fans were after so many were begging for Jimbo to be jettisoned. We were so spoiled by Superbowls and deep playoff runs, that we forgot why we got there in the first place. I'm not saying the Kolb won't be good. But the reality, it's impossible to know. Also, they just made the Skins better. I don't know how better, but an upgrade at QB makes any team better.

The only good thing about this is that now I can go back to truly hating all PA teams. McNabb was their only saving grace.

Welcome to the pain Philly

Mcnabb didnt want to come here and personally giving up a 2nd and a 3rd for a team that is for sure starting their rebuilding now is a bad idea. We have to bring in young talented players that are coming into the league now. As for flozell adams I would be happy if they went out and signed him for a 2 year contract, it will give us some veteran playing experience on still a very young interior line. He would be able to help out levitre progress that much more having a guy next to you that has played so long. and he is still a good player at his age. I would do it and try to work on our nose early in the draft instead of tackle being such a huge need. and i'm not ready to give up on d bell yet, the guy was just thrown into the starting spot, he could develop and meanwhile lets put the vet in that spot.

McNabb didnt want to come here. Besides, trading for a 35 year old QB and signing a 35 year old LT isn't the best idea for long-term success, is it?

you are right the key thing is the guy wasn't willing to come to buffalo

lets move on

Lets face facts here, McNabb is a top 10 "franchise" QB, and with a decent O line and team around him they are playoff contenders.

The Bills didn't want him because they didn't want his 11 million dollar a year contract...

So we now know the Redskins will draft an OT.

Exactly. I'm almost thinking the Skins were not sold on Clauson as a franchise QB either if they had to sweeten the deal over the other rumored teams.

Also, the Skins know who McNabb is - they've played against him 20 times. I don't buy that the Eagles think he's done because he's clearly not. I just think they feel they can get similar production from Kolb, save $11 mil on McNabb and get some top, but not too costly draft picks. They were going to lose him to the top payer in the offseason anyways, probably the Skins who overpay for free-agents.

Damn, all they needed to do was pick up the phone and give the Eagles a call. Then McNabb would have been all ours.

It's people like you that make me feel relieved that Nix is our GM and not you.

you are right the key thing is the guy wasn't willing to come to buffalo

lets move on

Money talks. McNabb, like every other professional athelete, will go to whatever teams will pay him the most. He knows the Bills are cheap. If we maxed out deal and gave him weapons he would come here in a heartbeat. That's why the Skins are a perfect fit - they will give him a huge extension and buy a team around him.

I'm not arguing that actually doing this strategy is right for the franchise, but under the same circumstances he will get in DC, he would come to Buffalo.

I have to say Philly will be fine without D Mac...not that he wasn't a great QB...but I truly loved what I seen out of Kolb...he can run that offense just fine...but they did make Philly better...if they steal Bulaga like I think they will because Buffalo are too boneheaded to trade up and snatch him...you'll see a COMPLETELY different offense out of the Skins this season...and everyone will say see they pick up D Mac and look...if buffalo grabbed him blah blah blah...when in reality it will be because they have a stud at LT and can keep him upright

Fwiw, schefter said on Twitter:

"Bottom line: Donovan McNabb preferred not to go Raiders and handpicked Redskins, Andy Reid said Eagles wanted to make McNabb happy."

this 1 makes me believe that he didn't want to come to buffalo (or Oakland) and 2 Ried is batshit crazy trading him in the division to make mcnabb happy. He might be happy, but when the skins beat the eagles, Philly fans sure won't be happy.

There's also been NO talks of an extension, no way Buffalo would make the trade without an extension deal in place...

Money talks. McNabb, like every other professional athelete, will go to whatever teams will pay him the most. He knows the Bills are cheap. If we maxed out deal and gave him weapons he would come here in a heartbeat. That's why the Skins are a perfect fit - they will give him a huge extension and buy a team around him.

I'm not arguing that actually doing this strategy is right for the franchise, but under the same circumstances he will get in DC, he would come to Buffalo.

Bills could of made this happen if they were a little more aggressive on this deal. It would of been a great move and they just plain "missed" the chance by not adding more to the trade to get this done faster. The could of added extra players with the picks to make this a great deal for the Eagles.

Bills could of made this happen if they were a little more aggressive on this deal. It would of been a great move and they just plain "missed" the chance by not adding more to the trade to get this done faster. The could of added extra players with the picks to make this a great deal for the Eagles.

You depreciate this board.

Fwiw, schefter said on Twitter:

"Bottom line: Donovan McNabb preferred not to go Raiders and handpicked Redskins, Andy Reid said Eagles wanted to make McNabb happy."

this 1 makes me believe that he didn't want to come to buffalo (or Oakland) and 2 Ried is batshit crazy trading him in the division to make mcnabb happy. He might be happy, but when the skins beat the eagles, Philly fans sure won't be happy.

There's also been NO talks of an extension, no way Buffalo would make the trade without an extension deal in place...

Good call. With the extension, let's assume McNabb has a typical season... does that mean if they lose him in FA that they will get a conditional 3rd or 4th? I'm thinking if they don't resign him it almost washes out the 2011 conditional pick. Basically, they get to rent him for a 2nd, and have an opportunity to negotiate for a full year before he hits the market.

This will be another example of a long list of blunder's the Redskins have made in player acquisitions. If McNabb doesn't win the Redskins a super bowl in the next year or two, they will have to start all over again, because they will have ruined their opportunity to develop Campbell. Furthermore giving up a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th next year will stymie their ability again to build through the draft.

A similar deal would have him in the AFC east. Then grab the LT released by the cowboys. What is so difficult?

Other teams just move faster.

According to a story on Yahoo, McNabb is the one who nixed any trade other than to the Redskins. The Bills were willing to make the trade and also offered him an extension on his contract, but McNabb wouldn't budge and insisted on a trade to the Redskins so he could take out his anger on the Eagles for the forseeable future twice a year...

Nothing the Bills could do if McNabb was hell bent on getting revenge on the Eagles...

I am thrilled he is elsewhere. His age and his playing ability make him very questionable. I know I was not the only one watching those last two Dallas games. He was not doing so great. <_<

60% 3000 plus yards 20 plus td's 10 picks???...he did alright my friend...not that I wanted him all that much, but he's still nasty...

That being said, I HATE that he went to a team that picks before us in the draft because it decreases our chances to land Bulaga

I am thrilled he is elsewhere. His age and his playing ability make him very questionable. I know I was not the only one watching those last two Dallas games. He was not doing so great. <_<

He has a higher career QB rating than Jim Kelly and Dan Marino, and is tied with Brett Farve. He had less weapons/OL than Kelly in his career. Let's stop pretending like he's an average QB. He is significantly better than any QB on our roster and anyone we can get in the draft.

Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Green Bay don't have nearly the same amount of trouble attracting good coaches and free agents.

I'm talking about good "name" players and coaches. None of those teams hired "name" coaches, but outside of Cleveland, they turned out to be good ones. Similarly, outside of the Vikes, none of them have signed many "name" players, and the Vikings only got Favre because he wanted to stick it to GB.

Lets face facts here, McNabb is a top 10 "franchise" QB, and with a decent O line and team around him they are playoff contenders.

The Bills didn't want him because they didn't want his 11 million dollar a year contract...

Okie, I might have been wrong about that statement,won't be the first or last time either. <_<

Quote from http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArAr...nabbtrade040410

McNabb, who is in the final year of his deal, made this happen by making it clear he wasn't going anywhere else but Washington. When the Buffalo Bills expressed interest – and even were willing to give McNabb a contract extension – he passed on the offer. When the Oakland Raiders sniffed around and showed willingness to trade for the quarterback without an extension, McNabb indicated to the Eagles through his associates that he'd retire.

"He has plenty of money," the source close to McNabb said. "He's not doing anything he doesn't want to do."

He has a higher career QB rating than Jim Kelly and Dan Marino, and is tied with Brett Farve. He had less weapons/OL than Kelly in his career. Let's stop pretending like he's an average QB. He is significantly better than any QB on our roster and anyone we can get in the draft.

Not sure I understand your point. I don't think anyone is saying he is an average QB, nor that anyone on our roster is better. But its about what he's worth at age 33 in respect to where we are as a team.

QB rating is overrated. Kelly played 11 seasons, McNabb has played 11 seasons. Jimbo has better numbers all the way around except more int's. Lets not get crazy and compare him to Kelly and Marino. Mcnabb has no where near the best qualities of either one of these gentleman.

According to a story on Yahoo, McNabb is the one who nixed any trade other than to the Redskins. The Bills were willing to make the trade and also offered him an extension on his contract, but McNabb wouldn't budge and insisted on a trade to the Redskins so he could take out his anger on the Eagles for the forseeable future twice a year...

Nothing the Bills could do if McNabb was hell bent on getting revenge on the Eagles...

More like hell bent on going nowhere near Buffalo.

Build this team through the draft and gain credibility through that. If Chan and co. feel Clausen, or any other QB for that matter, can be the QB of the future, and they can find him in this draft, draft him. Otherwise, it should be a great QB competition with the QBs we have on the roster.

I'm sure a myriad people have beat me to it, but... you stupid idiot, by every account the Bills were one of very few teams who pursued McNabb, HE DIDN'T WANT TO COME HERE! As soon as I got home I knew some bozo would've posted something like this and much to my amusement, there it was in all its glory.

Okie, I might have been wrong about that statement,won't be the first or last time either. <_<

Quote from http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArAr...nabbtrade040410

McNabb, who is in the final year of his deal, made this happen by making it clear he wasn't going anywhere else but Washington. When the Buffalo Bills expressed interest – and even were willing to give McNabb a contract extension – he passed on the offer. When the Oakland Raiders sniffed around and showed willingness to trade for the quarterback without an extension, McNabb indicated to the Eagles through his associates that he'd retire.

"He has plenty of money," the source close to McNabb said. "He's not doing anything he doesn't want to do."

I don't think it's possible for the Eagles to have handled this any worse. For McNabb to end up with a division rival for only a 2nd round pick is crazy. The Pats got a 1st rounder for Bledsoe, and McNabb is playing at a much higher level than Bledsoe was.

I think I said somewhere when this started that I would not offer more than a 3rd for McNabb. So.. props to Nix for not doing that either.

Also, I really don't think McNabb wanted to come to Buff. Similar to Chris Drury, it's in Buffalo's best interest just to not pursue these people who don't like it here.

I don't think this has anything to do with how fast any team moved, this speculation of a McNabb trade has been going on for weeks. McNabb did not want to be in Buffalo, multiple sources have said this. I am sure there was some sort of agreement as far as acceptable places for him to land. I just don't why whenever something we think should happen for this team doesn't happen it becomes a case of ineptitude on the FO's part??

+1

I don't think it's possible for the Eagles to have handled this any worse. For McNabb to end up with a division rival for only a 2nd round pick is crazy. The Pats got a 1st rounder for Bledsoe, and McNabb is playing at a much higher level than Bledsoe was.

That, to me, doesn't tell me about how the Eagles FO sucks. It tells me how much the Bills FO sucked at that time.