Foods you detest

I got fed up with walking through the woods and seeing all these fungi knowing that wild mushrooms were supposed to be great but not knowing which. Bought a guide book, learnt how to spot the deadly ones (which, as it turns out, are very similar to normal edible mushrooms) and then went and tried all the local edible ones. Quite a few were pretty bad but a couple are just wonderful.

Never found a giant puffball, although we do get them. Seen some awesome recipes for them I would love to try out one day. Do not get 'death balls' around here.

Puffball is very tasty.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just thought of something...scrapple...had some one time in college while on a field trip in Pennsylvania Dutch country.

Disgusting stuff that I couldn't finish and would never order again.

from wiki:

Scrapple is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then panfried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste.

Now, I like spicy food, go through jalapeños and garlic by the ton, but I will not eat the following-

Green peppers-taste like gasoline

mushrooms-slimy snot balls.

olives- tasteless nothing

Clams- see mushrooms.

Am I picky? Are those not things you are supposed to like?

Well, you are def not Italian, I love all of the above. Sorry Jim.

IMO they are one of the few ingredients that !@#$ up a pizza. I should note that !@#$ing up a pizza is nearly impossible.

Yeah, working at a pizza shop, it amazes me how many people like to put that nastiness on their za. The only thing worse is anchovies! :thumbsup:

Now, I like spicy food, go through jalapeños and garlic by the ton, but I will not eat the following-

Green peppers-taste like gasoline

mushrooms-slimy snot balls.

olives- tasteless nothing

Clams- see mushrooms.

Am I picky? Are those not things you are supposed to like?

WTF?? All great stuff. However I do agree on Olives. The green variety anyway. I like black olives on pizza and so on. Hate liver. Have given it a shot many different ways and it still tastes like liver. Also hate coconut. I think its a texture issue with me.

Yeah, working at a pizza shop, it amazes me how many people like to put that nastiness on their za. The only thing worse is anchovies! :thumbsup:

I used to work at a pizza place for awhile as well and it's amazing what people will put on their pizza. I once made a pizza with every ingredient we had. It was ridiculous, didn't even cook correctly.

I'm amazed at how often mushrooms and olives have been mentioned here.

You don't think canned mushrooms suck? As for olives, I think it's one of those things, you either love em or hate em. I could eat them like popcorn but I know people who gag at the smell (black olives specifically).

You don't think canned mushrooms suck? As for olives, I think it's one of those things, you either love em or hate em. I could eat them like popcorn but I know people who gag at the smell (black olives specifically).

No canned mushrooms don't suck. They are nowhere near as good as fresh ones but my question is why are you eating canned mushrooms? This isn't 1955.

What I find interesting is I love nearly every item listed, and would gladly eat them anytime, anywhere. With a fox, in a box.

So what makes some foods so distasteful to some, but others love them? That part I don't get.

No canned mushrooms don't suck. They are nowhere near as good as fresh ones but my question is why are you eating canned mushrooms? This isn't 1955.

Well, the only two places I encounter mushrooms is pizza and my marriage. My ex-wife used to love fresh mushrooms with her salad, and I too did not mind a fresh mushroom with my salad. Unfortunately, after the divorce I don't see many salads, as pizza is a more likely meal candidate. As far as I know, most pizza shops used canned mushrooms unless you are eating some type of gourmet pizza (ya know with nice fresh veggies and weird meats), you are going to get canned mushrooms. :thumbsup:

Well, the only two places I encounter mushrooms is pizza and my marriage. My ex-wife used to love fresh mushrooms with her salad, and I too did not mind a fresh mushroom with my salad. Unfortunately, after the divorce I don't see many salads, as pizza is a more likely meal candidate. As far as I know, most pizza shops used canned mushrooms unless you are eating some type of gourmet pizza (ya know with nice fresh veggies and weird meats), you are going to get canned mushrooms. :thumbsup:

Interesting, most pizzas I have with mushrooms use fresh ones. My pet peve with them is as I mentioned they just throw them on the pie raw and bake it. They don't saute them first.