Peter King - Racist comments

The public perception is different between the races even with the posters here.

I remember reading about the Lynch $20 incident and the common reaction was "he is a thug and we need to trade him"

Ben has the sexual assault allegations and not one person has referred to him as a thug or anything negative. This was second offenses for both. Not to worry the reporters are mustering around for the kill... do people tend to pass judgement on minorities quicker?

Athletes Black and White have the best get out of jail free card you can have ...money. People with money do get away with more within our legal system and people of all races have taken advantage.

To address your point regarding the Bubba's with gun racks. The fact is that blacks will get stopped more because DWB. Whites don't. I have never heard a white person say he was stopped because he was driving though a nice neighborhood.... Bubba's may not be breaking gun laws but how would you know if they don't run the same risk of being stopped for random searches...as you said it ain't rocket science.

The history of America is built on racism. Where racism is a unique hot bed subject. For any group that is victimized by racism or discrimination they tend to be more sensitive than groups that aren't.

The question is when are the claims valid in a society that is trying to move beyond it without addressing it head on?

There was no question about Lynch's innocence. He even returned the $20 when it came back on him.

With Ben it's not so cut and dry. We just don't know.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it all back - Ben's attorney said he didn't do it.

Same attorney that got Ray Lewis off for murder.

Why was Ben's old attorney good enough for the Nevada case but now he needs a new criminal lawyer for the case in Georgia???

The NV attorney probably isn't licensed to practice in GA. You have to pass the bar in each state to practice with only a few exceptions.

In Mr. King's MMQB column he stated if Ben Roethlisberger is at fault he needs to grow up. This was of course on page four of his column. A two time SB winning QB is accused twice of sexual assault and he "needs to grow up". There is no other way to describe how the media is treating this story other than pure racism. I am white and I can see it. Marshawn Lynch is a "thug" because he had a gun is his car. How many Bubba's down South have a frickin gun rack in their truck. San Diego trades away Cromartie because he has 7 kids - all by consensual sex. Larry Johnson makes some anti-gay slurs and he is vilified/suspended. All black, all non-crimes or minor at worst. If you are white and a QB apparently 20 year old girls are pieces of meat. Peter King has a daughter for Christ sake. I loathe Michael Vick but as others have said before he would have been better off commiting rape than killing a dog. Unless of course it was a white girl. In which case in Atlanta he would have been lynched.

For me, I have a real hard time that believing this wouldnt be going a little differently if it was say Donovan McNabb being accused a second time for sexual assault. If McNabb was a two time accused I do believe he would be getting more attention in these early stages. However, I do believe that if this goes to trial or actual charges are filed and he is arrested this will blow up in the media like many other celebrity cases. But, I think Big Ben is getting a little breathing room here until something more happens, a little because he is a golden boy white athlete with a previous clean image.

That being said, I do believe it has a lot more to do with the level of celebrity too, more so than race. Donte Stallworth killed a man and was convicted and he was a blurb in the media compared to Tiger, Vick, Kobe, Tyson, Clemens, Rodgriguez, etc. Those guys were huge stars, so their legal issues were a bigger deal not because they were black or white, but because they were massively famous.

Big Ben is a 2 time SB winner, but he is no where near the level of celebrity of these other guys and he hasnt been arrested or charged with anything yet. He is a big enough star that if he is charged he will become a major news story. Until then, because of his squeaky clean previous image and golden boy persona, he will get somewhat of a pass and the benefit of the doubt from the media more than say a Donovan McNabb if he had been accused mostly because Donovan has been a bigger persona in sports media.

So, yes, race may have a little factor in these early stages, but honestly, it has WAY more to do with the level of fame Ben is, the current situation with his case, and the fact he has never really been a guy regularly in the media. Watch, if he gets arrested or formal charges are filed this will become the daily top story.

The public perception is different between the races even with the posters here.

I remember reading about the Lynch $20 incident and the common reaction was "he is a thug and we need to trade him"

There is no race issue here. The Lynch thing would not have been the slightest issue, but Lynch has already been found guilty of crimes (small, but nonetheless crimes) twice. That means everything else will be looked at with a different lens. The problem with Marshawn is that he is a proven criminal. How many times has Roethlisberger been found guilty of something? That would be a zero.

If Lee Evans were accused of the same thing with the $20, the reaction would have been much different, with many people saying that it wasn't the kind of thing that he did.

Ben has the sexual assault allegations and not one person has referred to him as a thug or anything negative. This was second offenses for both. Not to worry the reporters are mustering around for the kill... do people tend to pass judgement on minorities quicker?

Second offenses? No. Just not true. You are not an offender till you are found guilty. Roethlisberger is not an offender. Marshawn is.

The overwhelming response to the accusations against Corey McIntyre were that he had never done anything like that before and the accusations didn't necessarily make sense. Go ahead and find some stories calling McIntyre a thug. Go ahead.

To address your point regarding the Bubba's with gun racks. The fact is that blacks will get stopped more because DWB. Whites don't. I have never heard a white person say he was stopped because he was driving though a nice neighborhood.... Bubba's may not be breaking gun laws but how would you know if they don't run the same risk of being stopped for random searches...as you said it ain't rocket science.

This is all true. It just has absolutely nothing to do with what we're arguing about.

You are the one who brought up the fact that Bubbas have gun racks and somehow said that that equated with what Marshawn did. It doesn't. Marshawn was committing a crime. Yeah, you're right about what I was right about. It ain't rocket science indeed. Marshawn was committing a crime.

The history of America is built on racism. Where racism is a unique hot bed subject. For any group that is victimized by racism or discrimination they tend to be more sensitive than groups that aren't.

The question is when are the claims valid in a society that is trying to move beyond it without addressing it head on?

You seem to want to argue stuff that is totally outside the argument. While I might argue that some other time, and might be on your side sometimes, this has nothing to do with what this thread is about. Nothing.

Peter King's actual comments:

"I think we all have to be careful about rushing to judgment on Ben Roethlisberger after he was accused of sexual assault by a 20-year-old woman in Milledgeville, Ga., near where Roethlisberger has an offseason home. It's the second time in seven months that a charge of sexual assault against Roethlisberger has come to light, the first coming from a Nevada woman last July.

"So without being judgmental ... if Roethlisberger is without fault, it still is utterly preposterous he puts himself in these situations. If Roethlisberger is without fault, he has to re-think who he associates with, and he has to re-think whether it's a very good idea to be hanging around college bars at 2 in the morning. If Roethlisberger is at fault, the issues are entirely different. If he's at fault, he has got to grow up. So we'll see."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...eeagency/3.html

Looks to me like he forgot the "not" from that second-last sentence.

But he does make it clear that he's not judging guilt, and that if he's guilty the issues are different.

The next day he added this: "I obviously did not go far enough in my condemnation of Ben Roethlisberger in MMQB. I feel a little like Tony Kornheiser this morning. He said after the Hannah Storm debacle a couple of weeks ago that he's amazed he doesn't screw up more than he does with all the opinions he has. I said we should withhold judgment until we know the full details of what happened the other night at the bar in Georgia, but wrote that if Roethlisberger is guilty of sexual assault or worse, he needs to "grow up.'' Obviously, if he's guilty, he deserves much more than that -- much more, like a jail term. As a father of two daughters, I regret not being more strident, and I appreciate the 43,598 of you for calling me on it."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...mail/index.html

Again, no racism there.

He said this: "If Roethlisberger is without fault, he has to re-think who he associates with, and he has to re-think whether it's a very good idea to be hanging around college bars at 2 in the morning. If Roethlisberger is at fault, the issues are entirely different. If he's at fault, he has got to grow up. So we'll see."

I suspect that he originally meant to say this: "If Roethlisberger is without fault, he has to re-think who he associates with, and he has to re-think whether it's a very good idea to be hanging around college bars at 2 in the morning. If Roethlisberger is at fault, the issues are entirely different. EVEN if he's NOT at fault, he has got to grow up. So we'll see."

King is famous for working on his column overnight. The second version makes much more sense, and is also better written, which is why I bet that was what he was originally going to say but screwed up in the editing. But hey, that's just my guess.

The point is that there simply is no racism there.

Not to defend anyone here, because this conversation is ridiculous.

But, using the line "you are the racist one, because you think everything that happens is a result of race" might be one of the most deafeningly stupid points I've ever seen someone make.

The original poster might have been a little overzealous with his claims, but I think some of his points are pretty fair. There are certainly ways to refute what he said, but everyone who tried just sounded like idiots.

So he might have been overzealous, but I, for exaggerating slightly, have one of the most deafeningly .... yadda yadda yadda.

Got it.

Why was Ben's old attorney good enough for the Nevada case but now he needs a new criminal lawyer for the case in Georgia???

There is a huge difference between a civil defense attorney and a criminal defense attorney. Also, you generally want a local attorney regardless of the matter because having a local attorney plays better in front of a jury comprised of locals.

I am white, but I do not see Lynch as a thug. I see Marshawn Lynch as a true American Patriot. Marshawn was simply living within his right [which in todays USA is not] guarenteed to him by the 2nd amendment. Lynch had an UNLOADED gun in the TRUNK of his car LOCKED IN A CASE. Instead of being punished, he should be a good example to the rest of the people out there as how to abide by gun laws and gun safety. AKA guys like Plaxico. I cannot stand how the American people sit around and are ok with their unalienable rights being trampled on by corrupt politicians.

PS I dont think SD trade Cromatie because of his love life. And I agree I see nothing wrong with LJ making gay comments - 1st amendment anyone? Also is the US we are INNOCENT until prove guilty - so lay off Ben because it may be two scum bag gold digging whores looking for some quick cash.

Best post in this thread!

Because the the alleged victim went to the hospital immediately after the incident, which makes me lean towards guilty. Who knows though.

I am white, but I do not see Lynch as a thug. I see Marshawn Lynch as a true American Patriot. Marshawn was simply living within his right [which in todays USA is not] guarenteed to him by the 2nd amendment. Lynch had an LOADED and unregistered pistol (and he has no pistol permit) in the TRUNK of his car (with no license plates) LOCKED IN A CASE. Instead of being punished, he should be a good example to the rest of the people out there as how to abide by gun laws and gun safety. AKA guys like Plaxico. I cannot stand how the American people sit around and are ok with their unalienable rights being trampled on by corrupt politicians.

PS I dont think SD trade Cromatie because of his love life. And I agree I see nothing wrong with LJ making gay comments - 1st amendment anyone? Also is the US we are INNOCENT until prove guilty - so lay off Ben because it may be two scum bag gold digging whores looking for some quick cash.

Fixed that for ya.

Yeah, great example

In Mr. King's MMQB column he stated if Ben Roethlisberger is at fault he needs to grow up. This was of course on page four of his column. A two time SB winning QB is accused twice of sexual assault and he "needs to grow up". There is no other way to describe how the media is treating this story other than pure racism. I am white and I can see it. Marshawn Lynch is a "thug" because he had a gun is his car. How many Bubba's down South have a frickin gun rack in their truck. San Diego trades away Cromartie because he has 7 kids - all by consensual sex. Larry Johnson makes some anti-gay slurs and he is vilified/suspended. All black, all non-crimes or minor at worst. If you are white and a QB apparently 20 year old girls are pieces of meat. Peter King has a daughter for Christ sake. I loathe Michael Vick but as others have said before he would have been better off commiting rape than killing a dog. Unless of course it was a white girl. In which case in Atlanta he would have been lynched.

Are you black perhaps. I think it has more to do with who he is than the color of his skin. Something that scum bags forget regardless of skin color is that you are inocent until proven guilty. Don't forget how easy it is to scream reape and get paid whether it actually happened or not. WE HAVE A BLACK PRESIDENT THE RIGHT TO SCREAM RACISM IS DONE

I have spoken to plenty of people of all races that feel the same the truth of the matter the discimination that they get stems from the fact that they are professional athletes the punishments they face are far more severe than what we face.

You and I would not have recieved the punishment Buress recieved.

I am white, but I do not see Lynch as a thug. I see Marshawn Lynch as a true American Patriot. Marshawn was simply living within his right [which in todays USA is not] guarenteed to him by the 2nd amendment. Lynch had an UNLOADED gun in the TRUNK of his car LOCKED IN A CASE. Instead of being punished, he should be a good example to the rest of the people out there as how to abide by gun laws and gun safety. AKA guys like Plaxico. I cannot stand how the American people sit around and are ok with their unalienable rights being trampled on by corrupt politicians.

Best post ever.

Are you black perhaps. I think it has more to do with who he is than the color of his skin. Something that scum bags forget regardless of skin color is that you are inocent until proven guilty. Don't forget how easy it is to scream reape and get paid whether it actually happened or not. WE HAVE A BLACK PRESIDENT THE RIGHT TO SCREAM RACISM IS DONE

I have spoken to plenty of people of all races that feel the same the truth of the matter the discimination that they get stems from the fact that they are professional athletes the punishments they face are far more severe than what we face.

You and I would not have recieved the punishment Buress recieved.

Are you kidding me? If you're being serious, you should be embarrassed.

Big Ben is a 2 time SB winner, but he is no where near the level of celebrity of these other guys and he hasnt been arrested or charged with anything yet. He is a big enough star that if he is charged he will become a major news story. Until then, because of his squeaky clean previous image and golden boy persona, he will get somewhat of a pass and the benefit of the doubt from the media more than say a Donovan McNabb if he had been accused mostly because Donovan has been a bigger persona in sports media.

So, yes, race may have a little factor in these early stages, but honestly, it has WAY more to do with the level of fame Ben is, the current situation with his case, and the fact he has never really been a guy regularly in the media. Watch, if he gets arrested or formal charges are filed this will become the daily top story.

Although I will never deny racism is implicit in sports (as it is in all societes around the world), I tend to agree with you. Bob Griese won 2 superbowls. How many young fans ever heard of him? Bradshaw won 4 and I doubt if many would know who he is if he wasn't an announcer. Because football is SUCH a team game, not so many individual stars will gather Tiger Wood type fame.

What DOES bother me is the general implication that blacks are much better athletes and whites make it because of hard work and brains. This is a slap in the face to both races imo. White palyers are called, "smart," or "lunch pail players." Blacks are just considered better, and if they aren't all pros they are often called "lazy."

I once heard Chris Speilmann furious in an interview when people called him a "smart" player. The guy was a beast. London Fletcher is a small linebacker who gives it his all on every play and produces. I have never heard him called "high motor," another tired cliche. How about Schobel? His biggest asset always was his speed yet to this day he is referred to as "high motor."

As for Big Ben, his future doesn't look great imo. The fact that this is allegation #2 doesn't look good at all. He also would appear to be a party animal, and the injuries are mounting up. Guys like that tend to not last, and if he is guilty I hope he spends years in jail.

You are the racist one, because you see everything that happens as a result of race.

Oh, and Lynch isn't a thug because he had a gun in his car. Lynch is a "thug" (your word) because he broke the law. The Bubbas with gun racks aren't breaking the law ... this ain't rocket science.

That is the most retarded thing ive heard all day...so lynch is a thug because he broke the law? so matt jones must be a thug as well he got caught doing coke..oh and also roger clemens and mark mcgwire both are super gansgter cuz they lied to the supreme court or congress (one of them)..if im gonna go off what you say...

Actually, not the greatest post ever.

Lazy, blatant factual errors aside, it is sad and surprising you would model American patriotism on Marshawn Lynch, of all people. Sitting smoking weed in the back of an unlicensed car with a loaded, unregistered (NOT in a case) gun is not an act of patriotism. States are free to regulate gun ownership and use and unless Lynch is in the California militia, you should refrain from making him an American hero.

Disturbing.

Actually, it was loaded. Hence the reason he legitimately got tagged for a misdemeanor. By the letter of the law, he was guilty. But those gun laws were written for the real thugs in society.

And the irony is that his car got searched because the cops "saw and smelled pot" (that they never charged him with). Yet California is considering making pot legal so that they can pay-off their massive debt. Gotta love shifting morality! :blink:

BTW, when does Sir Roger have a "sit down" with Mr. Roethlisberger?

Actually, it was loaded. Hence the reason he legitimately got tagged for a misdemeanor. By the letter of the law, he was guilty. But those gun laws were written for the real thugs in society.

And the irony is that his car got searched because the cops "saw and smelled pot" (that they never charged him with). Yet California is considering making pot legal so that they can pay-off their massive debt. Gotta love shifting morality! :blink:

After the conviction, I would assume.

lynch had loaded concealed weapons

you talk about stereotypes, then say this, ignorant is an understatement.

you obviously haven't been to Hotlanta

and finally, vick wasnt put in jail for killing dogs, he was sentenced to federal prison for owning and operating an illegal multi-state gambling operation. Although tyson got more time for rape

Im sure Lynch is a big hunter too.

So why dont you call Jessie Jackson and start a March!

How about a few facts:

Marshawn Lynch broke the law- more than once.

Cromartie traded because he has 7 kids? Are you sure about that or are u just guessing? Do u think that fact he quit on his team last year had anything to do with his release?

Vick killing a dog? Wrong again, Sparky. Try interstate gambling, money laundering and killing and torturing MANY dogs.

Stick to THE FACTS and find some better people to support than Lynch, Cromartie, Johnson and Vick.

(I think u forgot to defend Brandon Marshall and his women beating).

Your thread title is misleading.

You mean confiscated.

I loathe Michael Vick but as others have said before he would have been better off commiting rape than killing a dog. Unless of course it was a white girl. In which case in Atlanta he would have been lynched.

Yep, Atlanta is such a hot bed of racism. Besides the fact that it's 60% black, but don't let that cloud your prejudiced opinion of any place in the South

If they confiscated it (and this is the first I've heard that they did), why wasn't Lynch charged?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3955441

I'm not sure why he wasn't charged with it. Lynch might have been cooperative with them and they let it go. The small amount of weed probably didn't concern them, I guess. Some people have in the past speculated that it was a complete fabrication on the police officers part (not saying you).

Let's really get the facts straight. He broke the law once.

I count 3.

1. Hit and run

2. Illegal gun possession (I personally believe in his right to carry, but that's not the issue here)

3. Petty theft (stealing a $20 out of someone's hand is a crime even if it isn't prosecuted)

Obviously you are not a math major.

I count 3.

1. Hit and run

2. Illegal gun possession (I personally believe in his right to carry, but that's not the issue here)

3. Petty theft (stealing a $20 out of someone's hand is a crime even if it isn't prosecuted)

Obviously you are not a math major.

Obviously you are not a reality major. :blink:

A crime is a crime whether or not you get convicted of it, which I clearly stated in my initial post, but I see reading isn't your strong suit either.

Wow, who needs due process when it's all so SIMPLE?

I believe Peter King wrote this article because of his jealousy. He is jealous of African Americans. We own the Music Business, we dominate all sports, and we are starting to dominate politics. We do all of this while being discriminated against. I believe that one day the chickens will come home to roost for the racists of the world!