Bills cut 7 players

turftoe

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The reshaping of Buffalo’s roster has begun in earnest as they waived seven players Tuesday. The Bills announced the release of TE Derek Fine, DE Jermaine McGhee, LB Ashlee Palmer, DT Marcus Smith, S John Wendling, WR Justin Jenkins and C Marvin Philip."

Great! There really is a new direction @ OBD!

Wendling, Fine & Jenkins represent everything bad about the Bills talent level over the past few seasons. Hell, all of 'em do.

Actually, a little surprised about Fine...he has been slightly productive over his two seasons. Shawn Nelson is obviously our best tight end, but Fine had his moments.

Don't forget about Schouman, he started and made a lot of receptions and the offense wnet way down after he was hurt (may be a coincidence).

A few good special teams guys in there. A little suprising I guess. Why are they cutting these guys right now? Serious question.

I am not sure as to the timing, but I assume it was the BIlls being nice and giving these guys a chance to catch on early elsewhere. Pretty nice gesture by the Bills I think.

Also, I am guessing Chan has said we need guys who can play something besides teams, and guys like Jenkins,Palmer and Wendling I guess were just liabilities at their position. So when teams play goes down a bit, lets not blame it on Bruce right away :lol:

hopefully we will get ST players that can actually play a position. these guys represent one of the main reasons we have been bad, depth. These guys took spots from 2nd and 3rd stringers that could have provided depth when starters were injured.

I thought Wendling was safe. I guess DeHaven has some other guys in mind.

Im surprised Wendling was cut. He's one of the best gunners in the NFL.

Wendling really surprised me and Fine was a surprise too.

I don't know this so don't think too much about it but it's possible some of them may not have had the on field or off field attitude Chan expects.

It stinks of Jim Leonard 2.0.

I'm no Jim Leonhard fan but Jim Leonhard is far and away better than John Wendling. With that said Jairus Byrd/George Wilson/Bryan Scott/Donte Whitner are all better than Jim Leonhard. Why people keep using Leonhard as some guy we shouldn't have cut I'll never understand. He was never a better punt returner than Parrish and was never one of our top 2 safeties to earn time on the field. He got lucky Than Dawan Landry got injured in Baltimore that led to his playing time 2 seasons ago, and became Rex Ryans version of Pierson Prioleau of Gregg Williams/Prioleau type relationship. And at that time he was also not better than Ko Simpson

hopefully we will get ST players that can actually play a position. these guys represent one of the main reasons we have been bad, depth. These guys took spots from 2nd and 3rd stringers that could have provided depth when starters were injured.

QFT Amen

Love that the new FO seems to recognize this

Wendling really surprised me and Fine was a surprise too.

I don't know this so don't think too much about it but it's possible some of them may not have had the on field or off field attitude Chan expects.

Wendling surprised me a bit. Fine, not so much. He's too small to be a really effective blocking tight end, has average speed at best and just gets hurt too much! I thought Palmer showed a bit of upside, but he's considered by most to be too small for a 3-4 LB.

Really? What has Wendling ever shown as a safety in the NFL? Leonhard at least looked pretty good starting during the 2007 season.

Yeah, and Wending looked really good on special teams in 2009. Leonard had the support of an outstanding defense/scheme in Baltimore, so you can't really say whose contribution, during which year, was more valuable to his respective team.

I'm no Jim Leonhard fan but Jim Leonhard is far and away better than John Wendling. With that said Jairus Byrd/George Wilson/Bryan Scott/Donte Whitner are all better than Jim Leonhard. Why people keep using Leonhard as some guy we shouldn't have cut I'll never understand. He was never a better punt returner than Parrish and was never one of our top 2 safeties to earn time on the field. He got lucky Than Dawan Landry got injured in Baltimore that led to his playing time 2 seasons ago, and became Rex Ryans version of Pierson Prioleau of Gregg Williams/Prioleau type relationship. And at that time he was also not better than Ko Simpson

Yikes. The point was that Wendling, like Leonard, showed some talent in Buffalo. Leonard went on to play for two outstanding defenses and folks here crapped their pants whenever he made a play, since once he left the Bills, we expected him to fall of the planet, and die. /sarcasm

Now since Wendling, like Leonard, also made some great plays for Buffalo, I foresee the same thing happening every time he pops up, regardless of who he plays for next.

WTF? :lol: There goes our Special Teams.

I agree with the Lady. ST has been our best unit over the last few years and we just cut 2 "starters".

Since neither Jenkins or Wendling has started a game in the past 3 years, I fail to see how "These guys took spots from 2nd and 3rd stringers that could have provided depth when starters were injured."

Fine has more NFL starts than Maybin and Ellis combined. Sure, he's been hurt but he can probably make it through an off-season without injury.

I am all for improving the overall talent level but I don't think replacing our #6 WR. #6 safety and #4 TE is going to make any difference.

Yeah, and Wending looked really good on special teams in 2009. Leonard had the support of an outstanding defense/scheme in Baltimore, so you can't really say whose contribution, during which year, was more valuable to his respective team.

Yikes. The point was that Wendling, like Leonard, showed some talent in Buffalo. Leonard went on to play for two outstanding defenses and folks here crapped their pants whenever he made a play, since once he left the Bills, we expected him to fall of the planet, and die. /sarcasm

Now since Wendling, like Leonard, also made some great plays for Buffalo, I foresee the same thing happening every time he pops up, regardless of who he plays for next.

My bad I see I over exaggerated lol

I am assuming that nobody here is taking into account they he is probably our best Special Teams player?

John Wendling is never going to see the field as a safety