Post your ideas for next year's Super Bowl halftime show

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You've obviously never been to a Slayer show - when you go to see Gwar you have fun watching a bunch of people dressed up like Raiders fans complete with foam rubber helmets and spikes gong crazy and throwing meat into the crowd....when you see Slayer you get that feeling in the pit of your stomach that some serious evil is about to come forth and you could actually die....

Gwar is fun, Halloweenish evil - Slayer is just plain outright rip your face off evil

Yeah I've been to quite a few Slayer shows and have felt scared for my life on occasion. Gwar is more like Heavy Metal broadway.

pretty sure country artist are the only ones that can really sing these days. unless we're talking about taylor swift but she is more pop than anything.

Pretty sure you're tone deaf, if you really believe that. Very few of 'those kind' have more than a 3 note range and most sing flat.

Then there's that hideous twang thang..

Pretty sure you're tone deaf, if you really believe that. Very few of 'those kind' have more than a 3 note range and most sing flat.

Then there's that hideous twang thang..

Yeah, it's been watered down a little lately with manufactured acts but there are still many great artists in the genre. Go see a grand ole opry show at the ryman theater some day and see what you think. Go when there's some bluegrass acts as well (like Del McCroury) and then tell me the players aren't talented and the vocalists don't have range. There are multiple entire disciplines of stringed instrument techniques discovered and mastered by country musicians (see Merle Travis) and borrowed and adapted by many other genres. Broaden your horizon a little...and it's as American as apple pie and the NFL. And, millbank, BB King with Eric Clapton would be awesome.

I've had the privilige of seeing the Who with Keith Moon four times. ( first time in 1970) Daltrey,and Townsend are a pale shell of what they were two generations ago, but it's great for geezers like myself to see them still *try* to crank it up.

It all comes down to advertising dollars. The baby boomers are still (but not for very much longer) the major economic engine in this country. People of my age may recall that music on TV commercials,and the background music on TV shows was of the Big Band era. (The original Tonight Show theme comes to mind) because our parents of the 'Greatest Generation' were the dominant economic force of the day, and that was *their* music.

We can all look forward to a 'Hip Hop' background in entertainment and advertising when we are gumming corn run through a blendor in the nursing home decades from now..... :thumbsup:

That was the biggest disappointment..how "tame" the drummer was.

Drew Staffords band (forget what its called)

or

Britney Spears ... we are due for another wardrobe malfunction.

They could go with the name that just screams "wardrobe malfunction": Barenaked Ladies!

One year soon it's got to be AC DC !! Duh" FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK (FIRE) WE SALUTE YOU" !! Which i'm surprised that NBC didn't use that for the open on Sunday night But can you imagine at half time the whole stadiums dark and the bell toals at the beginning of Hells Bells ????? well that might be a little dark for the kids but , Especially if the Saints come " BACK IN BLACK " Well it's just a thought . I thought Aerosmith was one of the best shows !! Everyone says the Who and the rest of the past acts are to old but they're all legends . The only others big enough are Clapton or Floyd !! and i don't think Floyd will do it .

Let me say I thought the Who were quite good...considering they are pushing 70! :thumbsup: My wife who grew up a huge Who fan was aghast at how old Daltrey and Townshend looked. And frankly Daltrey had to tone it down just to keep his voice from giving out.

It made me think about why the NFL keeps dredging up these fossil bands? I mean the median age of a Who fan is probably 55. The median age of an NFL fan is much younger. So where does the NFL go next year? What 60's rock bands are left? Any other ideas from other decades?

If I were to predict I think the NFL will chose a country artist for SBXLV.

PTR

Well instead of washed up rockers we could listen to some rappers. I am thinking maybe Frany Valley and the four seasons could still be alive

Obviously the NFL likes old guys but why not compromise a bit. Why not try Van Halen? I'm sick of watching a bunch of old British has beens....I'm Canadian but believe the Superbowl is an American event. They should be providing opportunities for American musicians at the Superbowl....

Another dark-horse could be REM, or something similar.

If it was up to me, it'd be The Allman Brothers with Gregg, Derek Trucks, and Warren Haynes.

Nice choice. Pair 'em up with the Hip ...

The Who sounded good for the Who but lets face it most young people probably didn't remember any of the songs they did unless they watch CSI. They weren't the primier supergroups of the time (Beatles, Stones, LZ, Hendrix) but indeed had a following because of the success of Tommy the rock opera.

So why not dredge up Led Zepplin or Pink Floyd or the Police. Some one that actually kicked some butt back in the day.

Some suggestions for next year.

Frankie Avalon

Bobby Rydell

Freddie and the Dreamers

The Zombies

Hermans Hermits

Tommy James and the Shondells

1910 Fruitgum Company

The Grass Roots

or last but not least the Dave Clark 5, 4, 3 ,2 , or 1

Where in the hell is Tiny Tim when you need him.

You are telling me the Police kicks butt over the WHO? I so think NOT!!! The Who was tremendous in their time. They are just old now. But listen to their music on a CD instead of how they sound now, and they still frikin ROCK!!

You are telling me the Police kicks butt over the WHO? I so think NOT!!! The Who was tremendous in their time. They are just old now. But listen to their music on a CD instead of how they sound now, and they still frikin ROCK!!

Until they came out with Tommy, the who was the bubblegum of the British inavasion.

They were known for their performances more so than the music. After Hendrix debut at Monterey their performances seemed light weight. In fact the Who refused to follow Hendrix at Monterey as they were originally planned for fear of being showed up, so they went on first.

My Generation, Happy Jack and The Magic Bus weren't cutting edge as the songs the Beatles, Hendrix, Cream, Rolling Stones or even the Doors were putting out at the time. Their sound more rivaled the Monkees. When Tommy hit they took their music to the next level. But groups like Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Queen, Aerosmith, Zappa were surfacing and becoming the driving force of what was considered FM rock.

I remember this era quite well...the Who was not one of the dominant bands, they were just another decent band.