All Signs point to Cottrell

Not going to happen.

Ralph won't trust the man after interviewing for head coach position when Wade was fired. Ted thinks Ralph won't hire a black head coach! I believe there is some bad blood there. Bills hired Greg Williams which didn't sit well with Ted.

What about the umpteen other HC jobs in the NFL since 2001 Cottrell wasn't hired to fill?

I don't know if the Bills are looking at Ted for DC or not -- but not being hired as HC in 2001 won't be the reason he doesn't take the job if it is offered.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to happen.

Ralph won't trust the man after interviewing for head coach position when Wade was fired. Ted thinks Ralph won't hire a black head coach! I believe there is some bad blood there. Bills hired Greg Williams which didn't sit well with Ted.

Hiring Williams didn't sit well with me either, but who cares?

Cottrell did little more to distinguish himself than watch Bruce play.

How about Joe Vitt for DC? He's the Assistant Head Coach of the Saints and has been coaching defenses for years. He's the most qualified among the SB participants and that would explain the delay.

Not inspiring, but logical.

1. He had great sucess in Buffalo (1995-2000)

2. Knows how to stop the run (extra important in Buffalo climate)

3. Has worked with Buddy Nix in Buffalo and San Diego

4. Very Experienced

5. Struggles a little against the pass (that's why we kept a proven secondary coach)

6. Will employ the 3-4, something I believe Nix is looking for

7. The rest of the staff has already been hired....Since we have not knowingly interviewed superbowl assistants it wouldn't add up

8. Has not been hired yet because both sides are probably trying to hammer out the details of his current contract with the UFL

Just a guess, but i think this is the guy. Nix wants coaches with experience (Gailey, Dehaven......Cottrell?). For this reason I DO NOT believe we are waiting on a d-line/linebacker coach of a superbowl team. I also think that the hiring of Dehaven speaks vollumes to the fact they are not afraid to get coaches Nix and Wilson are familiar with from previous experiences in Buffalo......Back when we were good.

None of these are "signs"......

I think this would be a disappointing move. Ted rode Wade's coattails and our D slowly got worse. He was also let go from San Diego despite inheriting a talented defense. While I'm ok with Gailey's hiring for his offensive prowess, the selection of Cotrell would be a signal we're settling for mediocrity again.

Completely agree...his bend but don't break D is a thing of the past...he's just doesn't have an aggressive enough style for the NFL anymore. :wallbash:

cottrell is a good guy but a lousy strategist and gailey is going to leave his DC on an island to run that side. I do NOT like the idea of Ted having that kind of influence. On his own, he has not been impressive - only under the rule of a defensive HC has he been effective.

Preceded by

Wade Phillips

Buffalo Bills Defensive Coordinator

1998–2000

Succeeded by

Jerry Gray

Preceded by

Mike Nolan

New York Jets Defensive Coordinator

2001–2003

Succeeded by

Donnie Henderson

Preceded by

George O'Leary

Minnesota Vikings Defensive Coordinator

2004–2005

Succeeded by

Mike Tomlin

Preceded by

Wade Phillips

San Diego Chargers Defensive Coordinator

2007–October 28, 2008

Succeeded by

Ron Rivera

United Football League (2009)

yEAH...he fits the skill. Nondescript 63 year old guy who was unable to hold a position for more than two seasons and was sent to the minors last year. Fits right in the staff Gailey is building.

According to Wikipedia, Ronnie Jones currently serves as defensive coordinator at Arlington Martin High School.

Ouch.

From your post I decided to read his Wikipedia. If any of this wikipedianess is true what a sad career that guy had. Managed to turn everything he had to crap on every level of football.

Briefly, for Brian Billick's sake, the sequence goes like this...

1) Bills lose 'Music City Miracle' game

2) To divert blame from his own fat ass, Wade makes DeHaven the 'scapegoat' for the fiasco and fires Bruce, states his intention to take more responsibility for Special Teams himself, then proceeds to replace DeHaven with Wade's unqualified crony, Ronnie Jones

3) Bills overall record plummets from 11-5 in '99 to 8-8 in 2000, largely in part to disastrous Special Teams performance under Jones

4) Ralph insists Wade fire Ronnie Jones (not Bruce DeHaven) as a condition of Wade's own continued employment

5) Wade refuses, and is fired

6) Ralph claims Wade 'quit' - or was insubordinate - and refuses to pay Wade for the remainder of his contract

7) Wade sues Ralph and wins his lawsuit

8) Wade moves on to Atlanta, San Diego, and finally to Dallas where his daughter Tracy becomes an exotic dancer and ersatz actress, winning bit parts in films such as Charlie Wilson's War...

Ted Cotrell the next Bills DC? I think not.

Yup, that timeline looks accurate to me (although I'll have to defer to your knowledge on Wade's daughter). To emphasize the Ronnie-Jones-as-Wade's-crony bit, Wes Phillips was the West Texas A+M QB coach during Jones' less-than-stellar stint as a HC there. (Got fired from that job, too, after going 5-27.)

Briefly, for Brian Billick's sake, the sequence goes like this...

1) Bills lose 'Music City Miracle' game

2) To divert blame from his own fat ass, Wade makes DeHaven the 'scapegoat' for the fiasco and fires Bruce, states his intention to take more responsibility for Special Teams himself, then proceeds to replace DeHaven with Wade's unqualified crony, Ronnie Jones

3) Bills overall record plummets from 11-5 in '99 to 8-8 in 2000, largely in part to disastrous Special Teams performance under Jones

4) Ralph insists Wade fire Ronnie Jones (not Bruce DeHaven) as a condition of Wade's own continued employment

5) Wade refuses, and is fired

6) Ralph claims Wade 'quit' - or was insubordinate - and refuses to pay Wade for the remainder of his contract

7) Wade sues Ralph and wins his lawsuit

8) Wade moves on to Atlanta, San Diego, and finally to Dallas where his daughter Tracy becomes an exotic dancer and ersatz actress, winning bit parts in films such as Charlie Wilson's War...

Ted Cotrell the next Bills DC? I think not.

2b) Do not forget that Ronnie Jones had a connection to Wade's kid, who was playing QB at a college that Ronnie was involved with. His hiring was payback for a favor.

I say NO to Ted Cotrell. I do not see that happening.

1. He had great sucess in Buffalo (1995-2000)

2. Knows how to stop the run (extra important in Buffalo climate)

3. Has worked with Buddy Nix in Buffalo and San Diego

4. Very Experienced

5. Struggles a little against the pass (that's why we kept a proven secondary coach)

6. Will employ the 3-4, something I believe Nix is looking for

7. The rest of the staff has already been hired....Since we have not knowingly interviewed superbowl assistants it wouldn't add up

8. Has not been hired yet because both sides are probably trying to hammer out the details of his current contract with the UFL

Just a guess, but i think this is the guy. Nix wants coaches with experience (Gailey, Dehaven......Cottrell?). For this reason I DO NOT believe we are waiting on a d-line/linebacker coach of a superbowl team. I also think that the hiring of Dehaven speaks vollumes to the fact they are not afraid to get coaches Nix and Wilson are familiar with from previous experiences in Buffalo......Back when we were good.

You are so wrong here it's not funny. So Cottrell is waiting to work out his UFL deal?? What stopped Haslett from joining the Redskins weeks ago?? Trust me if Cottrell were the choice he'd be here and announced already. Ted Cotrell ain't walking though that door.

PTR