Warner set to retire tomorrow; is he a Hall of Famer?

Lori

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he played two more seasons he'd be on par with Kelly in terms of games played. Yet he's had more 30 TD seasons than Kelly, a better completion percentage and better QB rating. I'm pretty sure Warner has a better TD/game D and yards per game and of course he's also played a lot better in Super Bowls then Kelly ever did including won 1. So yeah Warner deserves to be in the HOF.

He also played in dome which pad stats and rating and took advantage of Tom Brady era rules of more hands off so you are not comparing equal stats. He belongs in Hall of Fame on 1st ballet assuming a more qualified QB (i.e. Farve) does not decide to retire and stay retired this year.

While most of the sportswriting world has already speculated that Kurt Warner's press conference, set for 3 p.m. ET Friday, will serve as his official retirement announcement, our own inside source informs me that Warner is definitely walking away. I've learned not to question his judgment.

Which begs the question of Warner's legacy, of course. If you'd asked me about his Hall of Fame chances a year ago, I would have hemmed and hawed before saying that yes, he "probably" had a good chance to get in "someday." (Okay, so I hedge my bets.) Looking back, I wonder what I was thinking, because the two-time MVP looks like a first-ballot lock.

Since The Associated Press started handing out Most Valuable Player honors in 1957, only six players have won the award more than once: Peyton Manning (4), Brett Favre (3), Jim Brown (3), Johnny Unitas (3), Joe Montana, Steve Young, and Warner. Brown, Unitas, Montana, and Young were each elected in their first year of eligibility. Manning and Favre certainly will be. Is there any valid reason to keep Warner out of that group?

If there is, let's hear it.

one thing in my mind is the year in NYC with the Giants.

He did nothing there which is surprising but other than that he's a HOF, i don't know if he is first ballet, all depends on who is "competition" is that year.

and coughing up the untimely pick or fumble.

the guy had the best WRs in Saint Louis and the best WR Fitzgerald in AZ. when he was with Giants and the WRs were good but not great he struggled mightily

By the same standard, Marc Bulger & Matt Leinart also had those WR's on their respective teams and they did not have the same success that Warner had with them.

Also the Giants put more of an emphasis on the run in their offense.

By the same standard, Marc Bulger & Matt Leinart also had those WR's on their respective teams and they did not have the same success that Warner had with them.

Also the Giants put more of an emphasis on the run in their offense.

The Rams were getting old and injured and losing FAs by the time they put Bulger in. Leinart didn't have much time with the 1st teamers. And he was an over hyped rookie anyway

Yeah, I would put Warner in the HOF, but definitely not on the first ballot.... I think that should be reserved for those who were consistently great through-out their 'prime' years, but I think he's done enough before & after the mid-2000's to get in.

While most of the sportswriting world has already speculated that Kurt Warner's press conference, set for 3 p.m. ET Friday, will serve as his official retirement announcement, our own inside source informs me that Warner is definitely walking away. I've learned not to question his judgment.

Which begs the question of Warner's legacy, of course. If you'd asked me about his Hall of Fame chances a year ago, I would have hemmed and hawed before saying that yes, he "probably" had a good chance to get in "someday." (Okay, so I hedge my bets.) Looking back, I wonder what I was thinking, because the two-time MVP looks like a first-ballot lock.

Since The Associated Press started handing out Most Valuable Player honors in 1957, only six players have won the award more than once: Peyton Manning (4), Brett Favre (3), Jim Brown (3), Johnny Unitas (3), Joe Montana, Steve Young, and Warner. Brown, Unitas, Montana, and Young were each elected in their first year of eligibility. Manning and Favre certainly will be. Is there any valid reason to keep Warner out of that group?

Two years ago I would have said Warner is probably not HOF, but over the last two years, seeing what he has done with Arizona, I think he is a deserving lock Hall of Famer. THe guy has had an amazing career & can still play in his late 30s.

Yes. The SB success, his record as a great player on multiple teams puts him over the top for me. The guy was / is a great QB, probably better than some other QBs in the Hall. 1st ballot as far as I'm concerned.