Warner set to retire tomorrow; is he a Hall of Famer?

Lori

Um . . . I hate to say this . . . but if you can't think of anyone in the Hall of Fame that's worse than Warner, then you haven't been looking very hard. Kurt Warner averaged 7.9 yards per pass and has a 93.7 QB rating over the course of his career. Terry Bradshaw averaged 7.2 yards per pass and has a career QB rating of 70.9. Plus, Bradshaw was surrounded by offensive talent, including a great OL, amazing running game, and Hall of Fame WR Lynn Swan. So, yeah, if I'm building a team, and if I have to choose between Terry Bradshaw or Kurt Warner (with both guys in their primes), I know which one I'm picking. And it's not even close.

A better comparison player to Warner would be Joe Montana, who had 7.5 yards per pass attempt and a career passer rating of 92.3. Warner threw for 32,000 career yards, as opposed to Montana's 40,000 yards. (Montana's career was longer.)

Agreed - I liked Bradshaw when I was a kid but he was over-rated -the Steel Curtain won the 4. Now Bradshow is overrated with his tv skills.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's the list of QBs in the Hall whose careers began no later than 1965 (Namath) ... before that I didn't have a chance to see any of them:

Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw, John Elway, Dan Fouts, Bob Greise, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Warren Moon, Joe Namath, Roger Staubach and Steve Young.

which one(s) would you take Warner ahead of for Bills QB? none for me. i simply dont see him in that class

HoF QBs Warner is hands-down better than:

• Namath
  • Bradshaw
  • Griese

HoF QBs Warner is slightly better than:

• Kelly
  • Moon
  • Staubach
  • Aikman
  • Fouts

HoF QBs Warner is in the same general class as:

• Steve Young
  • Joe Montana
  • John Elway
  • Dan Marino

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Warner has a higher career yards per attempt (7.9 vs. 7.5) a slightly higher career passer rating (93.7 vs. 92.3) and almost as many career passing yards (32,000 vs. 40,000) as Joe Montana. Warner's stats and career accomplishments clearly put him in the third (and best) category of Hall of Fame players.

• Namath
  • Bradshaw
  • Griese

• Kelly
  • Moon
  • Staubach
  • Aikman
  • Fouts

• Steve Young
  • Joe Montana
  • John Elway
  • Dan Marino

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Warner has a higher career yards per attempt (7.9 vs. 7.5) a slightly higher career passer rating (93.7 vs. 92.3) and almost as many career passing yards (32,000 vs. 40,000) as Joe Montana. Warner's stats and career accomplishments clearly put him in the third (and best) category of Hall of Fame players.

Great post.

Namath? Bradshaw? Griese????

Wide right is way off.

• Namath
  • Bradshaw
  • Griese

• Kelly
  • Moon
  • Staubach
  • Aikman
  • Fouts

• Steve Young
  • Joe Montana
  • John Elway
  • Dan Marino

Spot on...

Who gives a ****!

At a minimum, I'd say the people who have been discussing the topic for the last six pages.

And you, since you bothered to click on it.

Cheerio ...

While most of the sportswriting world has already speculated that Kurt Warner's press conference, set for 3 p.m. ET Friday, will serve as his official retirement announcement, our own inside source informs me that Warner is definitely walking away. I've learned not to question his judgment.

Which begs the question of Warner's legacy, of course. If you'd asked me about his Hall of Fame chances a year ago, I would have hemmed and hawed before saying that yes, he "probably" had a good chance to get in "someday." (Okay, so I hedge my bets.) Looking back, I wonder what I was thinking, because the two-time MVP looks like a first-ballot lock.

Since The Associated Press started handing out Most Valuable Player honors in 1957, only six players have won the award more than once: Peyton Manning (4), Brett Favre (3), Jim Brown (3), Johnny Unitas (3), Joe Montana, Steve Young, and Warner. Brown, Unitas, Montana, and Young were each elected in their first year of eligibility. Manning and Favre certainly will be. Is there any valid reason to keep Warner out of that group?

If there is, let's hear it.

I can't think of anything more he would need to do to warrant election to the HOF. The guy is a hall of famer, plain and simple.

Why not start a "Favre set to retire; is he a Hall of Famer?" thread as well?

See in a few years thread when we pull you back up to mock anyone who actually thought Warner wouldn't be a first ballot hall of famer.

Why not start a "Favre set to retire; is he a Hall of Famer?" thread as well?

See in a few years thread when we pull you back up to mock anyone who actually thought Warner wouldn't be a first ballot hall of famer.

If I get advance knowledge of Favre's intentions, I'll do just that.

Oh, wait. Don't even need a new one. I'll just go back and find one of last year's "Favre retiring" threads. Or the year before that. Or the year before that .... :)