Does Ralph Owe Buffalo a Succession Plan?

wisebill

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RW doesn't "owe" Buffalo anything. That may sting after all the loyalty we've shown but that's the reality.

As far as I know, the team still goes to the highest bidder after his passing.

GO BILLS!!!

He owes us nothing.

That's the sad truth. the Bills were a business decision, not a civic endeavor. As a businessman, his goal is to get the greatest return on his investment. The whole issue wouldn't be such a concern if the Buffalo area had a multi-billionnaire who was a great football fan. How about the Sabres owner, or maybe the Rich Products family. They've got the cash. Or maybe the family that owns Delaware North (the Jacobs brothers?). Outside of those two names, I don't see anyone in WNY with pockets deep enough to invest in a football team that is in a small market with little likelyhood of turning it's situation around. It pains me to think about it, but when Ralph goes, the Bills are probably gone as well.

Thus far, this thread gives me hope that not all Bills fans are as bizarre as some of the hapless diatribes insinuated last night. It is comforting to realize the majority of posters in this thread (thus far) realize RW owes WNY absolutely unequivocally nothing....nada.....zip......zilch.

He can hire / fire whomever .........and can sell the Bills with no regard to the aftermath or whatever he chooses. Because, afterall, he OWNS the team.

Why this is so hard for some to grasp is rather stupifying.

What a great response to an utterly peculiar first thread.

Go Chan. Great hire.

Just because he does not "owe" it, doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do.

Taking appropriate steps to make sure the Bills stay in Buffalo where they belong is the right thing to do, whether he "owes" it to anybody or not.

With the money Al Davis raked in from continually pinballing between Oakland and LA, and the way Baltimore bailed out pig-faced satan, I would say that we owe Wilson much more than he owes us. The Bills could have been the Baltimore Ravens......

Well, I think some gratitude and an attempt to ensure the team has a legit shoit to stay would be a good way to go. Does he owe it to us to make the team stay? No. But he's taken, I would guess, in excess of $100M in taxpayer dollars for stadium construction, upgrades, maintenance and operating costs. If its not a civic endeavor, then give us our money back and instead of making $25M a year, you can make $22M. As soon as its funded by taxpayer dollars, it's a public-private partnership with the assumption that our taxpayer dollars are for a community good.

The guy has turned a $25,000 investment into a $900M entity and Erie County/NYS supported it by building a stadium and giving him money. How come we as taxpayers (and season ticket holders) invested in this business, helped make it what it is but we get not even a reach around when this moron dies?

It's so easy to be simple and say he owes us nothing, but that's a simple answer to a complex question involving more than some simple "free market" analysis of business.

Well, I think some gratitude and an attempt to ensure the team has a legit shoit to stay would be a good way to go. Does he owe it to us to make the team stay? No. But he's taken, I would guess, in excess of $100M in taxpayer dollars for stadium construction, upgrades, maintenance and operating costs. If its not a civic endeavor, then give us our money back and instead of making $25M a year, you can make $22M. As soon as its funded by taxpayer dollars, it's a public-private partnership with the assumption that our taxpayer dollars are for a community good.

The guy has turned a $25,000 investment into a $900M entity and Erie County/NYS supported it by building a stadium and giving him money. How come we as taxpayers (and season ticket holders) invested in this business, helped make it what it is but we get not even a reach around when this moron dies?

It's so easy to be simple and say he owes us nothing, but that's a simple answer to a complex question involving more than some simple "free market" analysis of business.

At first blush you have a point, yet, it is unfair to say Ralph took your money. Someone, not him, voted that your money be given to him. Big difference.....not wordsmithing. With that you should argue the same people that took your money in the first place should then do something about it now.....but at that, that ship has sailed. Again, Ralph has done nothing wrong...at all. And probably deserves credit for keeping the team in Buffalo when he could have probably tripled his own revenue in any other market.

Your intentions are worthy, your target is mis-guided. Ralph is not the enemy.

Thus far, this thread gives me hope that not all Bills fans are as bizarre as some of the hapless diatribes insinuated last night. It is comforting to realize the majority of posters in this thread (thus far) realize RW owes WNY absolutely unequivocally nothing....nada.....zip......zilch.

He can hire / fire whomever .........and can sell the Bills with no regard to the aftermath or whatever he chooses. Because, afterall, he OWNS the team.

Why this is so hard for some to grasp is rather stupifying.

What a great response to an utterly peculiar first thread.

Go Chan. Great hire.

You one of Ralph's grandkids or something? WE have made that old bastard rich. You're wrong when you say he doesn't owe us the favor of TRYING to keep the team in Buffalo. But then again, he's only ever cared about the bottom line rather than winning while he was alive, so why not adhere to the bottom line when he kicks the bucket, right?

in answer to the thread, yes and no

It's the responsible thing to do to have a plan in place, more for the organization than for the fans. Just like a will.

However, he doesn't owe it to the fans to tell us about it...and it's tasteless to talk about it to an extent.

"Hey Ralph, what's gonna happen to the team when you die?" Who wants to talk about their death?

A rumor came out a couple of years ago that said that Mary Wilson was getting the team and selling it to Jim Kelly's group upon Ralph's passing. Whether that's just a rumor or the facts, we won't find out until after Ralph passes

Just because he does not "owe" it, doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do.

Taking appropriate steps to make sure the Bills stay in Buffalo where they belong is the right thing to do, whether he "owes" it to anybody or not.

That's your opinion. In Ralph's opinion, maybe the right thing to do is what's best for his family. I don't have a problem with that.