Enjoy next season boys and girls

major

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they are crying poverty. Like most business owners, they are looking to pay less money to their employees.
Damn u must work same place I do, record profits even during the 2008 and 2009 financial meltdowns, major millions of grants to the CEO and senior VP's in the meantime employees told suck it up and work harder for less when ya factor cost of everything else increasing. Yeah the owners have it tough.

Damn u must work same place I do, record profits even during the 2008 and 2009 financial meltdowns, major millions of grants to the CEO and senior VP's in the meantime employees told suck it up and work harder for less when ya factor cost of everything else increasing. Yeah the owners have it tough.

:wallbash: I used to!

Good question. We all know about the "scab" games during past NFL strikes. But a strike is very different from a lockout, as there will be NO games. You'd have to know all the minutia of the TV broadcast contracts to answer this.

Even in a lockout there could be "scab" games and there likely will be.

Here is what Peter King wrote this morning regarding the labor talks (we better enjoy next season):

If the past few days, I've spoken to sources on both sides of the labor talks, and I've come to the conclusion that it'll be an upset if there isn't a work stoppage that either delays or cancels the 2011 season. Many of us in the media have speculated about the chances for a lockout and predicted one is coming, but the total lack of progress over the nut issue in 11 bargaining sessions tells me unless there's a sea-change by one side or the other, you'd better savor the 2010 season because it could be the last football we see for a while.

At the core of the problem is ownership's demand for players to bear an equal part of the cost for stadium construction, debt service and upkeep -- and the players saying it's not their problem. In NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith's recent e-mail to player representatives, he startled player leaders by saying ownership wanted to cut player compensation by 18 percent per year in the new CBA.

I thought the 18 percent number might be an exaggeration, a scare tactic to get players' attention. It's not. The owners, one management source said, have asked that the players' pool of revenue against which the salary cap is calculated be reduced by 18 percent.

The players' response, a union source told me, is that they're not prepared to take a penny, or a percentage point, less. While Smith, in his letter to players, didn't dismiss the possibility of negotiating on the issue, he wrote that there has been no compelling information presented to players to justify such a major reduction in what players make.

You wonder what 18 percent means. So did I. The management source said the owners want $1 billion a year credited to ownership and not subject to being part of the pie that the players divide. "There's obviously been an enormous shift from public financing of stadiums to private funding,'' the management source said. "Those costs are not recognized in the current CBA, and we feel that has to change.''

The league has beat this drum for several years. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some give-and-take in the owners' demands, because this is collective bargaining, but I would be surprised if the owners drop this as a demand altogether. They're just too dug-in on it.

But from the players' perspective, it's got to be a tough sell to union leaders. Imagine Smith going into a union meeting at a team and telling the players that the average compensation to the men in this room is about $1.8 million this year in salary and bonus payments, and explaining to them in a time of bountiful success for the NFL, each of the players is going to have to take, on average, a $324,000 pay cut. The players will never go for that, absent the owners being able to prove they're losing money in a time of unparalleled wealth in the league.

At some point, serious talks will start, with each side compromising. But I can't see the two sides bridging this chasm anytime soon.

If the 2011 lockout happens that would be it for me. I wouldn't watch another game.

What are the chances that Ralph survives any possible lockout? What are the chances that the Bills stay in Buffalo after Ralph passes on? Not to be doom and gloom, but if next year is the last year of NFL for a while, it might be the last year of the Buffalo Bills...forever.

it looks like many of you are missing the salient point about the lack of public financing for new stadiums?

Anyone who isn't SQUARELY behind the owners on this one probably pays peanuts for taxes. It never made any sense that the public financed the venues of billionaires, so they can make more money and pay millions to their employees.

A stadium is the cost of doing business. It should come from revenue. If the current deal does not account for the fact that the public is increasingly refusing to pay for new stadiums - then it needs to be altered.

Hooray for the owners. Hooray for the taxpayers.

After watching all the trash talking and individual celebrations after every play, it is getting tougher to watch. Plus the fact that we suck doesn't help.

Agreed. People make a tackle and act like they just won a championship etc. Unfortunately NFL is becoming alot like Wrestling lots of glitter and trash talking etc etc.

Agreed. People make a tackle and act like they just won a championship etc. Unfortunately NFL is becoming alot like Wrestling lots of glitter and trash talking etc etc.

yep, just a matter of time until some player attempts a flying elbow from the upper deck :wallbash:

it looks like many of you are missing the salient point about the lack of public financing for new stadiums?

Anyone who isn't SQUARELY behind the owners on this one probably pays peanuts for taxes. It never made any sense that the public financed the venues of billionaires, so they can make more money and pay millions to their employees.

A stadium is the cost of doing business. It should come from revenue. If the current deal does not account for the fact that the public is increasingly refusing to pay for new stadiums - then it needs to be altered.

Hooray for the owners. Hooray for the taxpayers.

Exactly. Thanks for saving me the keystrokes. Public financing of stadiums is a disgrace; that money should come from the revenue of the league. Of course it should be factored into the equation that calculates the player pool.

And I love how people who whine about 'the rich' over on PPP are here crying about a poor football player getting stuck making $1.5MM a year.

I said the same thing after '82 and '87 and I'm still watching.

I'm with you on that nucci. I was just a kid during the strike years so it was a lot easier to forgive.

However, giving up pro football is a very difficult thing to do. It's the shortest season of all sports and if you are'nt into college football, or if college football is not enough, then you will go through major withdrawals.

Look at all the strikes that Major League Baseball has had, and lots of fans pledged that they would never watch baseball again. Yet somehow they come back when the games continue. Of course baseball has an advantage because there are no other major team sports seasons going on in the summer. If your choices during the summer are MLB or the WNBA, which one will you be watching?

Just a thought, but this may be why the UFL started at this time. This may also be why they are playing in the fall, when it just seems so stupid to do so. Maybe they are gambling and trying to capitalize on the NFL having a lockout. Who knows.

nfl owners and nflpa union are going to have BIG problems if there is a lockout.

on the other hand, this could not come at a better time for the nhl as now there are more young superstars all in the same age group(early to mid 20's) than at any other time in the league's history. (crosby,malkin,ovechkin,miller,kolovachuk, ect,ect,ect)

nfl's problems could be the nhl's gain.

Its two totaly different games. Hockey SUCKS compared to NFL football. Comparable like NFL is to NHL as NHL is to WNBA.

and i like hockey. just astronomical differences in the greatness of the two games.