The HELL with the coaching search...

We won't get Bill Cowher because Ralph won't let the chef make his stew without generic ingredients? Reports say that the sticking point with negotiations are that Cowher wants a commitment(financially) to the roster he wants to erect and Ralph won't commit to the terms. WTF? I'm ready to talk draft now. I hope it goes this way for the first couple of rounds: immediate impact player(don't care what position) at #9, OL/DL, OL/DL. The number 9 pick in the draft should be someone that can help you right away and not a project, then you have to have big boys with the other 2 picks. Build the foundation first then get your QB of the future if he's not on the roster already.

We won't get Bill Cowher because Ralph won't let the chef make his stew without generic ingredients? Reports say that the sticking point with negotiations are that Cowher wants a commitment(financially) to the roster he wants to erect and Ralph won't commit to the terms. WTF? I'm ready to talk draft now. I hope it goes this way for the first couple of rounds: immediate impact player(don't care what position) at #9, OL/DL, OL/DL. The number 9 pick in the draft should be someone that can help you right away and not a project, then you have to have big boys with the other 2 picks. Build the foundation first then get your QB of the future if he's not on the roster already.

CAN'T TALK WHAT PLAYER FITS THE BILLS TILL WE KNOW WHO THE COACH IS!!!!!! Player and schemes matter with most selections.

CAN'T TALK WHAT PLAYER FITS THE BILLS TILL WE KNOW WHO THE COACH IS!!!!!! Player and schemes matter with most selections.

Absolutely true; however, McClain (LB from Alabama) would fit in any scheme, and he should be available with our first pick. The Bills then need to only draft OL/DL the rest of the draft!

Seriously...even as bad as Buffalo is at drafting, you have to be bound to get one solid player between rounds 2-7 if you draft the same position over and over.

From the Rochester paper today (Bob Matthews column):

A check of 67 mock online drafts of various quality Monday revealed.....the most popular choices for the Bills were Oklahoma OT Trent William, Rutgers OT Anthony Davis and Iowa OT Bryan Bulaga. Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant, Maryland OT Joe Campbell, Florida CB Joe Haden, Clausen and Bradford also received multiple mentions. ... WARNING: At this early stage of last year's mock draft epidemic, the No. 1 pick for the Bills was Penn State DE-LB Aaron Maybin.

Absolutely true; however, McClain (LB from Alabama) would fit in any scheme, and he should be available with our first pick. The Bills then need to only draft OL/DL the rest of the draft!

Seriously...even as bad as Buffalo is at drafting, you have to be bound to get one solid player between rounds 2-7 if you draft the same position over and over.

Agree x 2.

Not to be argumentative, but value is actually what matters the most. The most valuable positions in the game are QB and LT; coincidentally, these are both huge areas of need for Buffalo. It would be a twisted crime if one of the top 2 QBs or LTs are on the board and we don't pounce. If they're not, however, the best-player-available-route is the way to go. This team isn't good enough to be overly choosy.

Just my 1 cent.

Number one, what "reports" are you reading that say that Wilson already told Cowher his players budget?? That sounds like total fabricated crap to me.

Secondly, after waiting 14 years for the next Jim Kelley to play QB for the Bills, I cannot believe people are out here still saying the Bills should not draft a QB with their first pick. Everyone says there won't be a QB worth the number 9 pick this year, that Clausen and Bradford will be gone, and then nobody else should be taken in the first round. WHY? Especially after wasting the #11 pick on Maybin last year. If the Bills can reach for a defensive end, they can reach out for Colt McCoy or Tim Tebow with the number 9, as far as I'm concerned.

Let's check out the starting QB's for the 8 teams left in the playoffs this year: Chargers: Rivers - Number 4 overall. Jets: Sanchez - Number 5 overall. Colts: Manning - Number 1 overall. Ravens: Flacco - number 18 overall. Cowboys: Romo - undrafted. Vikings: Favre - #33 overall. Saints: Brees - #32 overall. Cardinals: Warner: undrafted.

That makes 6 of the 8 starting playoff quarterbacks drafted within the first 33 picks of their respective drafs. Guys like Romo, Warner and Tom Brady are about as hard to find or end up with on your team when they become great as the Bills have found a playoff spot this century. But of those other 6 guys, none were drafted lower then the very top of the second round.

So I think its' about time to forget all of this "let's get our QB later in the draft" garbage, don't you?

If they plan on taking a QB in round 1, I'd hope they at least trade down and grab another 2nd round pick and pick a QB in the high teens or 20's...I think they might go with Brohm and maybe not draft a QB till round 4 or so if they even draft a QB at all...better shot at Locker in 2011 draft if they tank again next season...Hell I'd say no QB this draft and wait till 2011 for Locker while all the other teams have their new QB's from this draft...see something like this:

1 - OT or ILB

2 - OT or OLB

3 - DT or DE(if Schobel retires)

4 - DE or DT

5 - WR or OLB

jmho tho

... Everyone says there won't be a QB worth the number 9 pick this year, that Clausen and Bradford will be gone, and then nobody else should be taken in the first round. WHY? Especially after wasting the #11 pick on Maybin last year. If the Bills can reach for a defensive end, they can reach out for Colt McCoy or Tim Tebow with the number 9, as far as I'm concerned.

Let's check out the starting QB's for the 8 teams left in the playoffs this year: Chargers: Rivers - Number 4 overall. Jets: Sanchez - Number 5 overall. Colts: Manning - Number 1 overall. Ravens: Flacco - number 18 overall. Cowboys: Romo - undrafted. Vikings: Favre - #33 overall. Saints: Brees - #32 overall. Cardinals: Warner: undrafted.

That makes 6 of the 8 starting playoff quarterbacks drafted within the first 33 picks of their respective drafs. Guys like Romo, Warner and Tom Brady are about as hard to find or end up with on your team when they become great as the Bills have found a playoff spot this century. But of those other 6 guys, none were drafted lower then the very top of the second round.

So I think its' about time to forget all of this "let's get our QB later in the draft" garbage, don't you?

My concern with this argument is that just because other good QBs were drafted in the 1st round doesn't mean that

taking Tebow or McCoy in round 1 guarantees that they will be good. There are TONS of QBs taken high in round 1

that were TERRIBLE in the NFL. Most of those guys had no business being taken that high, but teams were following

the philosophy that they need their franchise QB no mater what so they reached for these guys.

That is BAD drafting. Now, if they truly feel that Tebow or McCoy is going to be a great NFL QB, then they should

probably grab them. But they should not take them just to take a QB in the first round. (I don't think either of those

guys is going to be good in the NFL, but what do I know?)

agreed; our lines seem to get pushed around. need to end this

Since the last two drafts have had a linebacker be rookie of the year, at least defensively, if you want a player to step up right away, it should be a linebacker. Problem is, where we're drafting, it's too early for Sean Witherspoon at OLB, and just right for ILB. Brandon Spikes and Rolondo McClain could be there at our pick, and I'll bet my hat that one of them is. If you're comfortable having Poz move outside, then I'd go for Spikes/McClain at #9.

If not, then take the BPA. Right now, before the senior bowls and combine I'd say that the BPA will be on this list--some will be gone from this list, but here's who I think could be in the neighborhood:

Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame

Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State

Jared Odrick DT Penn State

Brandon Spikes ILB Florida

Tim Tebow QB Florida

Dez Bryant WR Oklahoma State

Anthony Davis OT Rutgers

Taylor Mays FS USC

Brandon Graham DE Michigan

First off, Clausen is not going to be there at #9; if nobody takes him in the first 3, someone will jump up and grab him. Ralph won't be that guy. Okung would be a "Grab", and I think Odrick has something special, and a couple of the HC's we are considering want middle D-Line pressure all day. Tebow will fall but New England* will grab him. Dez Bryant could be the Larry Fitzgerald of this class, and the others, with the exception of Mays, are overrated for a #9 pick.

Brandon Graham and the others you could convince me is worth a #9, but I'd rather trade my pick for a #17 and #49 if someone wants him this early (Graham at DE vs. Sean Weatherspoon OLB AND Marshawn Gilyard? No Contest).

I actually saw a mock that had the Bills taking Haden... over Williams, McClain, Campbell, Davis etc

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Mock-Drafts/201...mock-draft.html

I actually posted a thread about this exact thing! In anycase, i emailed the guy who runs that site and told him that we have glaring needs other than DB (we're like #30 vs. the run so perhaps some DT/DE/LBs?) and have been through what now, 10 different OL combos? So he's now switched us to OT...Anthony Davis (OT, Rutgers)

I actually kind of like the idea of Rolando McClain though...

:censored:

Number one, what "reports" are you reading that say that Wilson already told Cowher his players budget?? That sounds like total fabricated crap to me.

Secondly, after waiting 14 years for the next Jim Kelley to play QB for the Bills, I cannot believe people are out here still saying the Bills should not draft a QB with their first pick. Everyone says there won't be a QB worth the number 9 pick this year, that Clausen and Bradford will be gone, and then nobody else should be taken in the first round. WHY? Especially after wasting the #11 pick on Maybin last year. If the Bills can reach for a defensive end, they can reach out for Colt McCoy or Tim Tebow with the number 9, as far as I'm concerned.

Hey Phan, eat one and do more reading before you call something "fabricated"

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu9pbRk1L6ycB...chasing-cowher/

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu9pbRk1L6ycB...er/%3frelated=1

http://twitter.com/LoganInEA/status/7465721157

..."But Logan has an intriguing new nugget, posting Wednesday night on Twitter. He writes that Cowher is "OK" with the Bills' salary offer, but that Cowher wants a "commitment" from Russ Brandon regarding the money that would be available to sign players."...

That's all the research you used. Some nobody from East Aurora who may or may not know what the hell is going on with the Cowher situation?? The "Joe Logan" blog? Now that's hilarious. Now I know this could be fabricated even more then I thought before you replied. And even if this is 100% true, how do you know Brandon and Cowher are not still negotiating the numbers of that "commitment"?? All your rock hard stone cold fact of a quote states is that Cowher "wants" the committment, not that Brandon and Wilson won't give it to him.

Here's my opinion: Cowher is in no hurry to make a decsion - and why should he be? All the NFL teams may not even be finished firing coaches yet.