Bills have contacted Charlie Weis

Beerball

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if he could bring in a good defensive coordinator he might not be so bad...and he would be the type of guy who would be able to bring in a good defensive coordinator (unlike Jauron, Mularkey, Williams, etc.)

May be he can bring along his buddy from NE, Romeo Crennel to run a 3-4 defense with Maybin moving to OLB.

My first thought as well. He is light years ahead of Jauron. Weis can coach an offense. He would not take the job without having a GM in place. I think more is going on than is being publicized.

I agree, but Weis couldn't be as bad as Jauron. It is literally impossible imo.

This same nonsense get posted over and over despite it's obvious inaccuracy.

Its really not all that inaccurate. The Rams never finished higher than 22nd in the NFL in rushing attempts under Mike Martz. In 2002 and 2003, they managed just 1405 and 1496 rushing yards as a team, good for 30th in the NFL those two years, and followed that up with 1624 in 2004, which was 25th in the NFL.

Now one could argue that Martz ran the ball just enough to make his offense work, and on that point, they'd be right. Even in the year when he got canned, they had a good overall offense.

Simply not true.

Perhaps you have heard of Marshall Faulk?

These are his numbers during the period when Martz "refused to run the ball":

1999*+ 26 STL RB 28 16 16 253 1381 7 58 5.5

2000*+ 27 STL RB 28 14 14 253 1359 18 36 5.4

2001*+ 28 STL RB 28 14 14 260 1382 12 71 5.3

And those were just his rushing numbers.

During this period, he ranked 5th, 8th and 3rd in total yards in the respective years. He ranked 14th, 4th and 14th in total carries amonsgt ALL RBs.

This same nonsense get posted over and over despite it's obvious inaccuracy.

How can a team like Buffalo, with few if any willing candidates of any stature, and with a perennially awful offense, dismiss a guy like Martz out of hand?

Oh, I forgot, this is a place where a lot of posters were really getting psyched about AVP when he stumbled into the OC seat.

Go figure.

You don't suppose a lot of those rushes came in garbage time, do you? Please note: For The Rams offense those years, garbage time began midway through the second.

We could do worse....maybe he can develop a QB at least o and his offense was never bad at ND

I'd prefer Bill Cowher, but I could live with Charlie Weis being hired as a coach as long as we also get a GM with football

smarts instead of leaving Russ Brandon with football duties. Russ should stick to marketing & sales. That is his fortay!

I think it would be wiser to hire your GM first and allow the GM to select the coach, Modraks replacement (hopefully), and those type of decisions. I think it would be a serious error in decision to hire Charlie Weis and not make a change at GM.

Even with all the injuries if our offense was just average we would have likely won 8 or 9 games this year...we lost several close games. We need to find a FA QB this offseason and draft a highly rated QB early in the draft for development. Just drafting a QB won't be enough with a lackluster O-Line. A veteran may be more equipped to deal with the pressure, but a rookie QB may never regain his composure again...Look at just about every QB we had since Kelly...The only ones that come to mind that had occasional success were D.Blesdoe & D. Flutie....Van Pelt (so-so)..Todd Collins was a mess, Kelly Holcomb, Trent Edwards, JP Lossman, and a couple of others as well. Build up your Offensive & Defensive lines and find a QB !! That's what the Bills should focus on besides a GM & Coach. So getting back to the issue get GM & Then get Weis and I can deal with that!

I am ND fan, as well as a Bills fan. Follow both religiously. I would be okay with Weis as the hire. Immediately better than Jauron, although that's not saying much. I believe our offense would improve almost immediately. I also believe that Weis learned a lot about being a HC while failing at ND. Lastly, Weis' two biggest failings at ND were probably player development and leadership, two things which are vastly more important at the college level. Would I prefer Weis as the OC, with someone else at HC? Yes, but I would still take Weis as HC. Do I think it's odd to hire a coach before a GM? Yes.

Put me in the category as - being ok with Weis as a Head Coach - but I want the team to hire a GM first....and let the GM make the HC hire.

I agree. You need a GM first. A GM will always want his guy in there. And when the team starts losing, The GM will always say thats what he was dealt with and then make a new hire down the road. We cant afford to rebuild again.

Last post on this for me...

Was at the game yesterday. 11 rows behind the bench in section 136--lots of Bills fans in our section -- As we all saw the Bills were never in the game. A minute and a half in we were down 7-0 and I looked at my kids and said enjoy the sights and sounds because the offense is going to run for the bus. We took our share of "good natured" ribbing but all in all lots of fun. I sat there almost satisfied in saying that this is an excuse to blow this up.

The Offense is the problem and the problem runs very deep. The line just gets dominated on most plays -- but then again--Andre "Freakin" Ramsey probably never thought he would be a #1 LT in the NFL his UDFA rookie year and facing John Abraham. He was just a happy go lucky kid at Ball State a year ago. The problem is part scheme, but its mostly talent on the line. The opposing D doesn't have to worry about our so called weapons because we are so easy to overpower upfront. I would say we lack a QB and should go after one--but from seeing the line it would be really hard to evaluate the QB's we have on the roster. Smarter football minds than me would know where to start. If you have someone available who is a widely considered offensive genius who also happens to be looking for redemption--you need to consider him. That guy could be Weis. My parameters would be

1) He has to be the choice of a GM we hire this week or next. I am a huge Floyd Reese fan--he is a defensive and strength and conditioning coach by birth. He knows talent on the D side of the ball.

2) We have to bring in an experienced DC - Romeo Crenell would be the obvious choice because of the friendship and experience with Weis

3) Reese is 62, Crennell is 62 or 63 -- we have to bring in folks to groom for both of them --- Marc Ross and Darryl Talley would be my choices...

Weis was cocky enough to think he could overcome the challenges of Notre Dame. There is no football dorm, there is no training table, there is an unbending disciplinary and academic standard that goes beyond even the Stanford's and Northwestern's. Its just the ND way but it fails in today's football factory mentality. Weis thought he was mighty enough to overcome all this--he wasn't--he tried to bully the system a few times and found out Our Lady is more powerful than the Gospel according to Tuna. It turned out to be a bad situation for both. Charlie is more of a pro coach. I believe this in all my heart. His ego couldn't take pandering to 17 and 18 year olds...he wants to be able to "Fire" guys who don't live up to the standard. The lesson he had at ND will serve him well...I think he can be a really good pro coach.

A deep side note: Leodis McKelvin was about 5 seats away from us..we didn't bug him -- but as I saw Youboty and Corner getting torched all day -- we did look at each other once near halftime and I said--"we need you"...he smiled and said his leg was doing better. Had a cool group of friends with him -- Poz and Florence kept looking up at him shaking their heads...We have a lot of talent on sidelines this year....the bounce back could be quicker than we think with the right leadership.

I would love this hire. I wish people would stop comparing ND to the rest of college football. They are at a huge disadvantage this is not ND of your parents era. High school kids are going to Florida and USC if given the choice. The academic standards at ND kill them. Don't give me any they are on TV every week either as a marketing ploy crap either many are on almost weekly. To judge this guys ability as a NFL HC based on his time at ND is foolish and borderline ignorant. We should be happy if he is even considering coming. I don't understand hiring anyone before hiring the GM. It sad that no matter who we hire it is going to divide the fan base.

As a question did Cowher say NO forever or just till after the season.

If we can't get either we should go after Zimmer.

Did anyone consider that we might not be hiring a GM? Ralph is cheap, and if he can get an expensive, big-name head coach that would want to shop for his own groceries, he kills two birds with one stone.

Weis isn't qualified to be a GM, but that hasn't stopped 'ol Ralphie before.

Wouldn't want him. No Belichick guy has really seen much extended success on their own. He was great when he had Tom Brady and Brady Quinn. He hired a very well respected DC in college and just ran the offense...how did that work out? So let's just assume he will hire someone like Romeo and do the same thing and THAT will work. He had top 25 recruiting classes and mostly top 10 recruiting classes and couldn't win. What could he do in Buffalo? One of the most undesirable places to play for a free agent. I'd take him as an OC but not head coach. The solution is not let's just get a great offensive mind and improve the overall team that way. We need a great coaching mind. I'm passing on him he's not a head coach. Wait until after the Super Bowl and hire a freaking GM and THEN a freaking coach.

Wouldn't want him. No Belichick guy has really seen much extended success on their own. He was great when he had Tom Brady and Brady Quinn. He hired a very well respected DC in college and just ran the offense...how did that work out? So let's just assume he will hire someone like Romeo and do the same thing and THAT will work. He had top 25 recruiting classes and mostly top 10 recruiting classes and couldn't win. What could he do in Buffalo? One of the most undesirable places to play for a free agent. I'd take him as an OC but not head coach. The solution is not let's just get a great offensive mind and improve the overall team that way. We need a great coaching mind. I'm passing on him he's not a head coach. Wait until after the Super Bowl and hire a freaking GM and THEN a freaking coach.

Bellicheat would feast on fat Charlie.

PTR