Bills have contacted Charlie Weis

Beerball

I would rather see a comptent GM hired first, then go for the HC. As for Weis, what's the difference between him and Martz? I hope that the Bills don't mess this up like they do almost everything else.

The difference between Weis and Martz is Weis will adapt to his personell and what the defense is giving him. Martz jams his pass first offense down the teams throat and refuses to run the balll.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

although Weiss isnt my first choice I wouldnt be against the Bills hiring him to be their next head coach

think about it, the Bills were never going to get one of the top guys so it was always going to be one of these second tier coaches and when you look at the list who would you rather have? I certainly dont want Haslett

hire Weiss then someone like Romeo Crennel to run the defense and thats a good combination IMO.

i think the bills may have already talked to who they want as gm and that gm has said talk to these coaches etc.

That's what I was thinking. Hope that's what happened. Weis is a genius on the "O" side, then hire a a good coordinator on the "D" side and WALLA!!!

With a marketing guy leading the search and a 91 year old owner heading the team review, how can they possibly get it right? It's amateur hour at OBD, but they won't hire someone to consult for them.

The guy isn't hired granted, and it's just a report, but if this is their thinking, it's another indication they have no clue.

they may be approaching this with the concept of "diminishing returns". just throw the Cowher and Shanahan names out there, any team can do that... let's look proactive and determined to the fanbase. What's that? All of them laughed at us? Ok... Plan B... 400 pound Weis, maybe 800 pound Mangino, Billick... nope, none there.... ok let's move on down to the Haslett category.

People this is disastrous. First off, Weis's problems at ND included horrible game management, as well as a general unwillingness to work too hard in the scouting and recruiting areas once he got the big contract. He was known for just relying on the Lemming reports.

That is a complete fabrication. Weis had top recruiting classes almost every year he was at ND. Weis got his extension in 2005. His recruiting classes after that were ranked #8 in '06, #8 in '07, #2 in '08, #21 in '09.

I love when people come on these boards and just make sh*t up.

ND lost because their defense was horrible. Weis hired one of the best college DC's, John Tenuta, and let him run the D. Was he supposed to call offense and defense?

I would love to see Weis in here over anybody not named Cowher, Gruden or Homgren and last time I checked they all laughed at the idea. Weis has the relationships to get the right coaches in here (Crennel). We instantly go to the 3-4. He develops QB's better than anyone else in the game. Brady gives him full credit for his success and says that any team would lucky to have him. He would bring discipline that this team needs badly. He would also have a chip on his shoulder and a lot to prove coming to the same division as Belichick. He would be my top choice hands down.

They could do worse, and for the last four years, they have. Ideally, I'd prefer that Weis be brought in as an OC, but as I've thought about it more, he might not be a bad HC candidate, either. There's no doubt in my mind that the Bills would have a competent offense under Weis, which at the very least would allow them to be competitive every week. One thing I'm pretty certain of is that if they keep finishing in the bottom quarter of the league offensively every year, they're never going to win anything. If Weis could turn that group around, it would go a long way to returning the Bills to respectability.

They can hire him cheap because ND will subsidize his salary. Thats why they want him.

I mean really, they guy wasnt successful at ND - a college team. Now he is gonna do it in the NFL? Blame it on lack of talent if you want, but in Buffalo he will be in a MUCH bigger hole.

Romeo Crennel would be a candidate for DC. Marc Ross, now with the G-men, but formerly of the Bills would be a candidate for director of pro personnel or as GM. All from the Parcells lineage...

Crennel sat out this year from coaching to recover from hip replacement surgery. Ross is a real up and coming football mind.

If we added someone like Floyd Reese as the GM to groom Ross for 3-4 years, I would say we have started on a good path.

While I am not in love with the idea of Weiss as HC. I would love to get the 4 men you mentioned to run the Bills. I think we would see a big change in attitude and performance.

I would rather see a comptent GM hired first, then go for the HC. As for Weis, what's the difference between him and Martz? I hope that the Bills don't mess this up like they do almost everything else.

It's obvious that Russ Brandon is not cut out to be a GM. He can not lure a quality Head Coach in. He made a ton of Front office mistakes. When you go into the season with two rookie lineman, That cant be good. Jon Runyon was out there for months and they did nothing. I'm not saying that he was the answer, but it would have been a start. The real problem is he can not sell Buffalo to anyone respectable. Everyone knows that this is like Siberia to the football world. A cheap owner, underachieving players and a playoff drought that is into double digits. The only reason TO signed here was the fact that nobody wanted him at the time. When the dolphins went out and got Bill Parcells, They changed everything to bring in a winner. The problem here is Russ and Ralph are in the way. Brandon might be a great marketing guy, but that does not translate into a great GM. Marv might have been a decent Head Coach, but that did not translate into a good GM. Hell, now they are thinking that the guy who lost out to Mularkey might be better. Why is that? I guess we have to take what we can get. Hey, Ralpf. Please sell the team to Kelly. You are out of touch. We need someone here that can make a decision. Someone who will lead us out of the basement. It's been two long.

Well it looks like HC is being hired before GM (not too sure why). If that is the case and it REALLY is what they are doing, I suppose I am fine with it (Weiss I mean). This offense is SO God awful that they have to find someone with an offense mind. If there was any way to get Clausen in here as well, I would be MORE than fine with it.

This team is so incredibly boring and the faster they grab someone, the better. The more openings that surface after next week, the less chances the Bills will have of getting anyone worth a damn. Ideally, I would love to have a GM who could target an up and coming offensive coach but with idiots like Guy and Modrak still holding court, who knows if it will ever get done.

Just do Something to change the most boring product in the NFL.

The difference between Weis and Martz is Weis will adapt to his personell and what the defense is giving him. Martz jams his pass first offense down the teams throat and refuses to run the balll.

Simply not true.

Perhaps you have heard of Marshall Faulk?

These are his numbers during the period when Martz "refused to run the ball":

1999*+ 26 STL RB 28 16 16 253 1381 7 58 5.5

2000*+ 27 STL RB 28 14 14 253 1359 18 36 5.4

2001*+ 28 STL RB 28 14 14 260 1382 12 71 5.3

And those were just his rushing numbers.

During this period, he ranked 5th, 8th and 3rd in total yards in the respective years. He ranked 14th, 4th and 14th in total carries amonsgt ALL RBs.

This same nonsense get posted over and over despite it's obvious inaccuracy.

How can a team like Buffalo, with few if any willing candidates of any stature, and with a perennially awful offense, dismiss a guy like Martz out of hand?

Oh, I forgot, this is a place where a lot of posters were really getting psyched about AVP when he stumbled into the OC seat.

Go figure.

That is a complete fabrication.

I wouldn't mind if Weis became the Bills head coach at least he knows offense and the Bills need a offensive coach very badly. As for his struggles at ND I think it to be a case of a proper fit some coaches are meant for college and some are meant for the NFL. I think Weis is more of a NFL coach than a college coach.

Very, very mixed feelings about this one. The guy whose team underachieved, couldn't beat Army & Navy, flawed game management... I know, I know, college is completely different than the NFL, but what has me even more worried, is that when he was OC of the Patriots*, many Patsie fans couldn't wait to get Weis out of town! Many cheered when he took the ND job; the same way we cheered when Fairchild took the Northern Colorado (or whatever) job. Has anyone asked the Patsie fans how they presently view Weis?

That is a complete fabrication. Weis had top recruiting classes almost every year he was at ND. Weis got his extension in 2005. His recruiting classes after that were ranked #8 in '06, #8 in '07, #2 in '08, #21 in '09.

ND lost because their defense was horrible. Weis hired one of the best college DC's, John Tenuta, and let him run the D. Was he supposed to call offense and defense?

I would love to see Weis in here over anybody not named Cowher, Gruden or Homgren and last time I checked they all laughed at the idea. Weis has the relationships to get the right coaches in here (Crennel). We instantly go to the 3-4. He develops QB's better than anyone else in the game. Brady gives him full credit for his success and says that any team would lucky to have him. He would bring discipline that this team needs badly. He would also have a chip on his shoulder and a lot to prove coming to the same division as Belichick. He would be my top choice hands down.

so Weis recruited the best players in the country and coached them into the toilet

sounds like a perfect fit for the Bills where we need the coach to get the most out of a less than average talent pool