anyone trying to cut out the amount of pop/soda they drink?

The Poojer

!@#$ing A your right. No more Red Bull in my Vodka ...... after, or when I finish this one.

Damn straight. After posting last night, I decided to go off sodas for a week, just to prove they're not addictive. I'll take my rum straight from now on...

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, for one thing...i never claimed anything to be an addiction, simply talked about cutting back on something that some have a hard time cutting back on it.....second, there are some pops that have caffeine in it, and i believe caffeine does contribute to or have addictive tendencies.....and it is pretty hard to break habits as well as addictions for some people.....

I am with you, I have given up pop starting today, at least try. I walk during my lunch about five miles a day, play hockey on friday nights & basketball on monday nights so I am pretty active, but I drink way too much pop & I think that is why I could never lose any weight. I am 6 ft & weigh about 220, I would like to drop about 30 pnds or so. I told my wife yesterday that I am going to try to give up pop for 3 months & see what happens. She told me you should give up drinking to, you propably would really lose some weight for as active as you are. I told her lets not get crazy.

This first morning is rough. Had a ham sandwich & some pretzels for lunch & I am really craving a pepsi right now. It killed me to walk to the water cooler & fill my glass up. There is just no taste to it. I will let you know how it goes though, from the looks of it I maybe back on the wagon before the end of the day.

I am with you, I have given up pop starting today, at least try. I walk during my lunch about five miles a day, play hockey on friday nights & basketball on monday nights so I am pretty active, but I drink way too much pop & I think that is why I could never lose any weight. I am 6 ft & weigh about 220, I would like to drop about 30 pnds or so. I told my wife yesterday that I am going to try to give up pop for 3 months & see what happens. She told me you should give up drinking to, you propably would really lose some weight for as active as you are. I told her lets not get crazy.

This first morning is rough. Had a ham sandwich & some pretzels for lunch & I am really craving a pepsi right now. It killed me to walk to the water cooler & fill my glass up. There is just no taste to it. I will let you know how it goes though, from the looks of it I maybe back on the wagon before the end of the day.

You'll need to change your name to flaco.

or you could just start with Gatorade/weakish Lemonade and cut your sugar down by 50% right there. Or drink unsweetened ice tea.

Gatorade is about as bad as soda, calorie- and sugar-wise.

Nah. It's 50 calories per 8 oz for Gatorade and 110 for your ave. soda....

It's about a 50% reduction, so it is a decent middle ground to start breaking any habits.

Nah. It's 50 calories per 8 oz for Gatorade and 110 for your ave. soda....

It's about a 50% reduction, so it is a decent middle ground to start breaking any habits.

My son drinks alot of gatorade so I have thought about that. I am going to give the water a chance for 3 months & see what happens. Day 1 went pretty well. We will see how day 2 goes.

My son drinks alot of gatorade so I have thought about that. I am going to give the water a chance for 3 months & see what happens. Day 1 went pretty well. We will see how day 2 goes.

Gordio, the water thing will get easier real quick. In terms of Gatorade, regular Gatorade is pretty nasty stuff, but the G2 has about half the calories of regualr gatorade or Powerade Zero will have 0 calories. I was a big gatorade drinker, switched to G2 cause it was not as sweet or thick as regualer Gatorade. Last 9 weeks been on water only( when not beer or wine) and man..even G2 tates way to sweet now..I actually prefer the plain water..

Gordio, the water thing will get easier real quick. In terms of Gatorade, regular Gatorade is pretty nasty stuff, but the G2 has about half the calories of regualr gatorade or Powerade Zero will have 0 calories. I was a big gatorade drinker, switched to G2 cause it was not as sweet or thick as regualer Gatorade. Last 9 weeks been on water only( when not beer or wine) and man..even G2 tates way to sweet now..I actually prefer the plain water..

What the hell? What is wrong with plain water or at most a squeeze of lemon or lime?

Water

Water is the first ingredient on the G2 ingredient list, constituting the majority of the beverage. Water is the main component of a number of beverages.

Sugars and Sweeteners

Gatorade G2 contains the following sugars and sweeteners: high fructose corn syrup, sucrose syrup, sucralose and acesulfame potassium. Sucralose is more commonly known by the brand name Splenda. Acesulfame potassium is an artificial sweetener which also provides potassium.

Vitamins and Minerals

According to the ingredient list, Gatorade G2 contains the following vitamins and minerals: ascorbic acid or vitamin C, niacinamide or vitamin B3, calcium pantothenate or vitamin B5, pyridoxine hydrochloride or vitamin B6 and alpha tocopherol acetate or vitamin E. Monopotassium phosphate is a source of potassium, an emulsifier and helps buffer the pH of the beverage. Gatorade 2 contains two sources of salt: salt and sodium citrate. Sodium citrate also adds a tart, slightly salty flavor to the beverage.

Flavorings

Citric acid provides a tart flavor and functions as a preservative. G2 orange and strawberry kiwi flavors contain "natural flavor." G2 grape flavor contains "natural and artificial flavor."

Preservative and Emulsifier

Calcium disodium EDTA helps preserve color and flavor. Polysorbate 20 is an emulsifier.

Coloring

G2 orange and strawberry kiwi flavors contain yellow 5 and red 40. G2 grape flavor contains red 40 and blue 1.

Reading this thread got me thinking about my sugar intake, via drinks.

First of all, why drink water when there's perfectly good tea bags out there looking for a home? It makes no sense to me. And adding lemon to water? I can't see how adding something as sour as lemon juice somehow magically makes water taste good. So, no.

OK. So, I drink very little coke/soda. Usually when I go to restaurants I will, because I've worked in restaurants and have seen first hand how poorly minimum wage people can make tea. When possible, I try to get something like a snapple over coke.

OK, so I make my sweet iced tea with 3/4 cup of sugar per gallon of tea, which people have always told me is alot of sugar. What can I say, I like my tea like I like my women... sweet and cold (but I digeress for humor). According to google, a 12oz can of coke has 40.5 grams of sugar. So, doing the math, I determined that a 12oz glass of my tea has 14 grams of sugar. That's 65.4% less sugar than a can of coke.

So, I feel pretty good about myself.

Of course, that's not all the sugar I take in. There's the coffee and cake and all the other sweet stuff. But, for the purposes of this thread, I'm happy. And, for the record, if I ever have to drink plain water with a splash of lemon, I go thirsty.

To summise, I say, if you want to cut the amount of sugar in your drinks, make them yourself. Tea, Kool-aid, Crystal light, etc. are all decent drinks and allow you to adjust the amount of sugar. And even if you like to make them sweet, its still going to be alot less sugar than most things you buy.

Reading this thread got me thinking about my sugar intake, via drinks.

First of all, why drink water when there's perfectly good tea bags out there looking for a home? It makes no sense to me. And adding lemon to water? I can't see how adding something as sour as lemon juice somehow magically makes water taste good. So, no.

OK. So, I drink very little coke/soda. Usually when I go to restaurants I will, because I've worked in restaurants and have seen first hand how poorly minimum wage people can make tea. When possible, I try to get something like a snapple over coke.

OK, so I make my sweet iced tea with 3/4 cup of sugar per gallon of tea, which people have always told me is alot of sugar. What can I say, I like my tea like I like my women... sweet and cold (but I digeress for humor). According to google, a 12oz can of coke has 40.5 grams of sugar. So, doing the math, I determined that a 12oz glass of my tea has 14 grams of sugar. That's 65.4% less sugar than a can of coke.

So, I feel pretty good about myself.

Of course, that's not all the sugar I take in. There's the coffee and cake and all the other sweet stuff. But, for the purposes of this thread, I'm happy. And, for the record, if I ever have to drink plain water with a splash of lemon, I go thirsty.

To summise, I say, if you want to cut the amount of sugar in your drinks, make them yourself. Tea, Kool-aid, Crystal light, etc. are all decent drinks and allow you to adjust the amount of sugar. And even if you like to make them sweet, its still going to be alot less sugar than most things you buy.

I'm not a big fan of chemical intake (well other than those few years in college) so that's why I typically drink water with a meal if I can't have wine. Other than tea all the other things you mentioned are artificially flavored with who knows what.

I'm not a big fan of chemical intake (well other than those few years in college) so that's why I typically drink water with a meal if I can't have wine. Other than tea all the other things you mentioned are artificially flavored with who knows what.

I would completely agree with you on the artificial flavorings. Hence, my preference for tea. When traveling, I look for the snapple that has no artificial flavorings and no corn syrup, either. (A friend of mine has schooled me on the great corn conspiracy, so I notice corn syrup in m drinks as well.) Lipton has an "all natural" tea, as well (I think). Usually, if possible, I get several of those for the hotel along with beer.

But it's really hard, when you travel, to get drinks and food that are even remotely decent for you.

I just like to think that we have evolved as a species beyond the use of water as our primary means of liquid hydration with things like wine, beer, tea, vodka, coffee, orange juice, and milk out there.