Fewell is going to complicate the coaching search big time

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I find this shaping up to be a very interesting audition for the Bills (and Fewell) over the rest of the season.

Specifically, if you take yesterday's game into account, we'll be playing all of our division rivals in home games over a relatively short time period. Being able to take care of your division should always be the #1 priority of any head coach, especially at home. If you can't beat the teams in your division, you don't deserve to win the division.

The Bills showed they can hang with and beat the Dolphins, even with a crazy, injury-depleted roster. The next test is against the Jets, who they already beat once on the road. Then it's the Patriots a couple of weeks later.

Strong showings against all three could prove to be a very enticing draw for a prospective head coach. If they feel most of the pieces are already in place to take care of the division, it might make the job seem more attractive.

Then again, if Fewell manages to beat all three division opponents over the next few weeks, with something like 13 or 14 players on IR, this man deserves much stronger consideration for the long-term job than we're currently thinking. At least in my opinion.

That works for me. I certainly don't want to concede a loss to an 8-6 or 7-7 team, which is likely what they'll be when the game is played in a few weeks.

I see that the new attitude is rubbing off on you also. A few weeks back, I wasn't sure we could beat anybody. Your wording reflects my thoughts in that if we keep playing the way we did yesterday (and to a certain extent last week), we can beat some playoff contenders such as the Falcons. I am tempering my enthusiasm so I don't feel so confident about beating the Pats* or Colts but we shall see.

:rolleyes::P PERRY ... WOW!

Emotions ... GONADS ... kicking players butts and making them practice in the elements ... and going for the win without any let up ... keep scoring and playing until it is clearly all over.

It's clear to me that 'The Dick' kept Perry bottled up because after all Jauron was the head coach. But, what we have seen is what we want from a head coach ... someone who cares ... someone who is bold ... and if you think about it, do we really want a new coach who is able to get a senior citizen discount when he goes out for dinner who was no longer wanted in his previous place of employment (Shanahan, Gruden, etc.)?

What the BILLS need is a front office clean up ... spend some big bucks there and just chill a bit on the head coach search to see if we have found our diamond in the rough. The winning programs in the NFL today with few exceptions do not have coaches who were previously head coaches for other teams but who left those teams for their new program. Do we really want Holgram?

Perry is willing to make changes ... and given the right support from the office he could very well be the guy. He may not be a "players' coach" who played the game and kisses up to them but in the end players want a winner who will give his all to win. Perry will scream at the ref's aka Big Bad Bill ... he will get in his players faces ... but he'll join them in celebration when good things happen.

I can't wait for Thursday night ... and it's been a long time since I had this energy for a Bills game ...

We can't judge Perry on his record because 'The Dick's' method of coaching has led to a team with so many injuries that I can't believe any blocking is happening on the field. Let's judge his energy and 'leadership' skills ... and let's keep him if things keep going like they have these first two weeks. I agree with TO ... this is a change that should have happened two weeks earlier (if not at the end of last season).

This is all a symptom of how bad it really was. Just like Buf News article comparing Fitz to Manning. When you have gone so long without knowing what good looks like, even slightly better than marginal looks good.

Yes we are now watching a gamday run like the current roster seems to be built. Taking risks and playing to win. DJ played not to lose but never had the defense or power running to pull that strategy off. Fewell, is taking risks and allowing fitzP to take risks which make sense with the skill position players...

I remain with many other posters here, maybe Fewell stays HC, maybe back to his old spot or maybe he goes, but a real GM is the need... Period. After that a real football guy can look at the organization and figure out what is broken, what is working, what is missing, etc.

Speaking of which, when it was the third quarter, with the Bills down 14-7 and the good guys facing 3rd and 1 from the Miami 36, I actually thought to myself: this has to be two-down territory. Sure enough, Fitz tries the deep sideline pass to Lee, but misses short. Then on 4th and 1, they go for it and make it easily.

That was one of the first times this season I felt like this coaching staff finally gets it. No doubt somebody else would have punted to try and pin them back, even though the other team had just finished a crazy 16-play 9-minute drive.

Speaking of which, when it was the third quarter, with the Bills down 14-7 and the good guys facing 3rd and 1 from the Miami 36, I actually thought to myself: this has to be two-down territory. Sure enough, Fitz tries the deep sideline pass to Lee, but misses short. Then on 4th and 1, they go for it and make it easily.

That was one of the first times this season I felt like this coaching staff finally gets it. No doubt somebody else would have punted to try and pin them back, even though the other team had just finished a crazy 16-play 9-minute drive.

WOW! Excellent point. I meant to mention yesterday, but it slipped my mind. That series of plays was.. mind blowing. If Ididn't know any better, I'd think they planned all along to go for it on 4th down; hence, they took the shot. Impressive. At the time, I was cursing... why try that bomb when all you need is a yard? Then what? You try a long FG? You punt? But, no, they lined up and went with a great play call to get the first down. It looked like a design QB run all the way to me.

If any of our reporter, in the know, folks are reading this... any chance you could ask Fewell about those 2 plays??

Fewell. Fire, enthusiasm, agressive, coaches to win instead of coaching not to lose. The anti-Jauron. I like him. I'd give him the job. Take the $50 million they were going to give to Shannahan and get a good GM and some good players. I think head coach is the most overrated position in sports, especially in football. There are 20 assistants. What exactly can Mike Shannahan do that Perry Fewell can't? Yeah, Shannahan has won in the past. I think the players had more to do with that than the coach.

Say Fewell wins 5 games, including a win over NE* and he goes 8-8 with a rag tag bunch of street free agents. The Bills are going to have a real hard time picking someone over him. Plus you are going to see a real division between fans wanting to stick with Perry and those who want the marquee hire.

PTR

Also if he walks on water. What are the odds he and the Bills beat the Pats? 5%?

Also if he walks on water. What are the odds he and the Bills beat the Pats? 5%?

Maybe 10% at best. That's why it would be a huge deal if he does beat them. But I will say this, the Bills will be ready to play under Fewell instead of rolling over like Dick(less) Jauron.

PTR

Maybe Perry is taking chances because he has nothing to lose. If the Bills lose the game so what! I doubt he would of tried that 59 yard field goal if the Bills were in contention for the wild ard right now. What if the Dolphins did not throw that stupid pass on 1-10 on the 1 yard line, the Bills would of been down 14 -0 and later 21 - 7. How would the game have turned out then>

Maybe Perry is taking chances because he has nothing to lose. If the Bills lose the game so what! I doubt he would of tried that 59 yard field goal if the Bills were in contention for the wild ard right now. What if the Dolphins did not throw that stupid pass on 1-10 on the 1 yard line, the Bills would of been down 14 -0 and later 21 - 7. How would the game have turned out then>

What if the queen had a d^%K???? I hate the 'what if'. The fact is the Dolphins did throw that stupid pass.....

i still want Shanahan or Cowher. If neither can be had then Perry Fewell is a good choice for a HC. He is just as good as any other cordinator HC candidate out there.

What i like about Perry is that he believes his players can make plays. It isn't taking a chance or rolling the dice. It's believing that you have NFL caliber players who should make plays. I have watched DJ make stupid decisions where you can hear the collective sigh from the players or a massive slump in the shoulders. He drained all emotion out of the players. DJ is a Sloth Demon.

The best play of the game was the field goal that Ryan made. It was outside of his career long but Perry had him kick it. It put the Bills up by 3 points but that wasn't the best part. The best part was how the defense came out and played. The pass rush was there forcing Henne to make bad decisions. He threw a pick which led to a TO touchdown.

It isn't taking chances it's believeing in your players. Something Perry understands and DJ will never figure out even on the golf course. Anyone who plays golf knows there is alot of time to think when you play.

I think Fewell has done a good job firing the team up. However, I dont want to see him as the permanant coach. If anything he is coaching for HC consideration on another team. We need a HC that has experience and has the staff to bring with them. Guys like Shanny and Cowher have an idea of who they will bring in as coordinators. I doubt Fewell has those connections.

Fewell could coach the Defense as Dungy did in Indy & AVP called a good game yesterday. Maybe with the rest of the season for experience & the offseason to prepare he might be a good OC.

MOST games are decided on a handful of plays. The Bills made those plays therefore they won.

i still want Shanahan or Cowher. If neither can be had then Perry Fewell is a good choice for a HC. He is just as good as any other cordinator HC candidate out there.

What i like about Perry is that he believes his players can make plays. It isn't taking a chance or rolling the dice. It's believing that you have NFL caliber players who should make plays. I have watched DJ make stupid decisions where you can hear the collective sigh from the players or a massive slump in the shoulders. He drained all emotion out of the players. DJ is a Sloth Demon.

The best play of the game was the field goal that Ryan made. It was outside of his career long but Perry had him kick it. It put the Bills up by 3 points but that wasn't the best part. The best part was how the defense came out and played. The pass rush was there forcing Henne to make bad decisions. He threw a pick which led to a TO touchdown.

It isn't taking chances it's believeing in your players. Something Perry understands and DJ will never figure out even on the golf course. Anyone who plays golf knows there is alot of time to think when you play.

Good post. The only thing I would add is that Ryan was making that kick in Pregame so Perry & Ryan KNEW it was makeable.

I see there are still a lot of folks infatuated with Shanahan.

To remind everyone, he failed miserably as the de facto GM in Denver.

From Yahoo:

"The point is that the '97 and '98 Shanahan magic might not be there anymore. In fact, in the ten years he coached since then, he's won in the playoffs just once. Now, I'm not one of those people who believe Shanahan only won because he had John Elway under center, but I do happen to believe that the ten years since then matter, too.

When we last left Mike Shanahan, he'd lost half of his last 48 games, and missed the playoffs three straight years. He had made some brutal personnel decisions, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. He had even lost his magical ability to make a 1,000-yard runner out of anyone with two legs."

Shanahan was a disaster as a de facto GM. Most peculiar was his fixation with former Cleveland Browns defensive linemen. From ESPN.com and Len Pasquarelli:

"On Monday, the Broncos released defensive end Courtney Brown, the top prospect taken in the 2000 draft, but also one of the most star-crossed players in recent NFL history in his tenures with Denver and Cleveland. And less than 24 hours later, apparently because they had dipped below their self-imposed quota of onetime Cleveland front four players on the roster, the Broncos signed former Browns tackle and unrestricted free agent Alvin McKinley to a four-year, $8 million contract.

It extended the Broncos' inexplicable fixation with former Cleveland defensive linemen, as McKinley, amazingly, became the eighth one acquired by Denver since 2005.

The Browns-to-Broncos roll call: Denver traded for end Ebenezer Ekuban and tackles Gerard Warren and Michael Myers, all in 2005. Signed as free agents were Brown (2005) and Kenard Lang (2006) and tackles McKinley (2007) and Corey Jackson (2005). The Broncos also claimed end Amon Gordon on waivers (2006)."

Shanahan also overspent for players and the payroll was burgeoning. This is another one of the reasons that Bowlen fired him. Those who would want him to run football operations here are either a bit strange or misinformed, IMO.

Say Fewell wins 5 games, including a win over NE* and he goes 8-8 with a rag tag bunch of street free agents. The Bills are going to have a real hard time picking someone over him. Plus you are going to see a real division between fans wanting to stick with Perry and those who want the marquee hire.

PTR

If Fewell can get this walking MASH unit to win games, it's going to be a hard decision to make.

Best to wait until after game 16 and see where we are. Right now the euphoria from the Dolphin Whomping is pretty potent.

IF he wins out...then he complicates things. Right now all he's done is won a single game.

So true. Think about it, guys. It is not unusual for an interim coach to add a spark to their team and steal a game or two. In addition, some players who were coasting suddenly realize there's going to be a purge after the season and they had better play much better if they want to keep their job. The records show that interim coaches do surprisingly well for a few games.

From Yahoo:

"The point is that the '97 and '98 Shanahan magic might not be there anymore. In fact, in the ten years he coached since then, he's won in the playoffs just once. Now, I'm not one of those people who believe Shanahan only won because he had John Elway under center, but I do happen to believe that the ten years since then matter, too.

When we last left Mike Shanahan, he'd lost half of his last 48 games, and missed the playoffs three straight years. He had made some brutal personnel decisions, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. He had even lost his magical ability to make a 1,000-yard runner out of anyone with two legs."

Shanahan was a disaster as a de facto GM. Most peculiar was his fixation with former Cleveland Browns defensive linemen. From ESPN.com and Len Pasquarelli:

"On Monday, the Broncos released defensive end Courtney Brown, the top prospect taken in the 2000 draft, but also one of the most star-crossed players in recent NFL history in his tenures with Denver and Cleveland. And less than 24 hours later, apparently because they had dipped below their self-imposed quota of onetime Cleveland front four players on the roster, the Broncos signed former Browns tackle and unrestricted free agent Alvin McKinley to a four-year, $8 million contract.

It extended the Broncos' inexplicable fixation with former Cleveland defensive linemen, as McKinley, amazingly, became the eighth one acquired by Denver since 2005.

The Browns-to-Broncos roll call: Denver traded for end Ebenezer Ekuban and tackles Gerard Warren and Michael Myers, all in 2005. Signed as free agents were Brown (2005) and Kenard Lang (2006) and tackles McKinley (2007) and Corey Jackson (2005). The Broncos also claimed end Amon Gordon on waivers (2006)."

Shanahan also overspent for players and the payroll was burgeoning. This is another one of the reasons that Bowlen fired him. Those who would want him to run football operations here are either a bit strange or misinformed, IMO.

Thank goodness someone else is looking past this inexplicable love feast with shanahan everyone is having. We need a GM of the first order and the GM should find the next coach for the Buffalo Bills.

So true. Think about it, guys. It is not unusual for an interim coach to add a spark to their team and steal a game or two. In addition, some players who were coasting suddenly realize there's going to be a purge after the season and they had better play much better if they want to keep their job. The records show that interim coaches do surprisingly well for a few games.

Exactly. The Dolphins are not some stellar team. Neither are the Jets. They are teams w/ talents (both more talented than the Bills), but both are going to have to put together strong finishes to sniff the playoffs. Both teams have gaping holes at the QB position and have made critical mistakes to lose games.

I expect Fewell to have his guys fight day in and day out and I think his energy will translate into some hard fought games. But come on. 1 win!!!!

From Yahoo:

I see Shanahan as a guy who's perhaps too tightly wound for my liking. I don't want to hire someone who isn't rejuvenated and who's not ready to give it 100% effort with all the time and enthusiasm that entails. I fear that Shanahan is a spent coach who's just looking to save face with a big payday regardless of were he ends up. How hungry is Mike Shanahan and does he take the Buffalo job for the right reasons? Obviously he's a 100% better coach than Jauron, but do we really want another tightly wound head coach who hasn't won a playoff game in the past decade?

I truly hope that Fewell takes the reigns and gets the Bills to win 4 or 5 of their remaining games solidifying his job as the head coach. I love Perry's coaching style and attitude. 180 degree difference to Dick Jauron. These last 5 games will be a good indicator of what to do in terms of the HC job. I'm just so thankful that it's fun to watch Bills games again.

I truly hope that Fewell takes the reigns and gets the Bills to win 4 or 5 of their remaining games solidifying his job as the head coach. I love Perry's coaching style and attitude. 180 degree difference to Dick Jauron. These last 5 games will be a good indicator of what to do in terms of the HC job. I'm just so thankful that it's fun to watch Bills games again.

Remaining schedule.

Jets (home-ish)

Chiefs

Pats (Home)

Falcons

Colts (Home...in what will be a meaningless game for Indy)

He won't win 4-5 games. He might win 2 with an outside shot at 3 if the Colts play scrubs.

Remaining schedule.

Jets (home-ish)

Chiefs

Pats (Home)

Falcons

He won't win 4-5 games. He might win 2 with an outside shot at 3 if the Colts play scrubs.

Bills don't play well against good QBs. So I give them a shot at Chiefs and Jets.

Remaining schedule.

Jets (home-ish)

Chiefs

Pats (Home)

Falcons

I can see this team beating the Jets and Chiefs leading up to Fewell's make or break audition against the Pats. Now I'm not making any bold predictions considering how we haven't beat them since forever, but the game is at home and they'd have a good head of steam going and the players would know winning that game would cement Perry as the top Bill's head coaching candidate going into the last two games.

But I don't want to get too excited here off of one win, I'm just saying I could see it unfolding that way.

I can see this team beating the Jets and Chiefs leading up to Fewell's make or break audition against the Pats. Now I'm not making any bold predictions considering how we haven't beat them since forever, but the game is at home and they'd have a good head of steam going and the players would know winning that game would cement Perry as the top Bill's head coaching candidate going into the last two games.

But I don't want to get too excited here off of one win, I'm just saying I could see it unfolding that way.

Pats v. Saints showed the Pats DB vulnerability due to injury. This will be the Bills real tryout for Fitzy and TOs tryout for FA for the NFL. Any given Sunday.

I think this pretty much says it all.

Probably the #1 quality in a head coach, for me, is who takes care of the division first. If Fewell can beat the Dolphins (check), the Jets (coming up), and the Pats* (the big test) -- especially with this crippled team -- then I would fully support giving him a shot at the permanent head coaching spot.

But you're right, if he can lead them past the Jets and then the Chiefs, even though that wouldn't exactly be a huge accomplishment overall, it would be setting up a huge playoff-atmosphere game for this team. Knocking off the Pats* at that point would get everybody fired up, I guarantee that.

Fewell seems to be an easy to like guy who has come up throught he ranks, and he at least for a couple of weeks seems to be living out his dream, and I think that Buffalo feels for that, and that is why so many of us may be pulling for him. Is he the next great coach? Maybe, maybe not, who knows. I know I wouldnt mind him as HC as long as we brought in a proven OC, DC, and strength and conditioning coach. Oh yeah and none of this matters untill we bring in a proven GM. Forget Shannahan, that is a mistake to fulfill both roles, without Elway he has been mediocre(although mediocre is better than what we have had this decade.) I am just not excited about Shanahan at all. What I could get excited about is say a Holmgren, Shottenheimer, or Casserle as GM, Weiss as OC, and somebody like Nolan, Capers, Bates or even zimmer as DC. After that Fewell can stay as HC for all I care. That is a staff that I can get excited about. Maybe I can ask Santa

Keep him and surround him with a front office that can find him talent to play with...and an offensive staff that can match up with his defensive staff...

Bingo. Now that Dr. Death has been removed, the biggest problem is the front office.

The percentage of Super Bowl winning coaches who win it again with a different team is ZERO. It's never been done.

Some of you are too quick to dismiss Fewell. Look at the coaches who are tearing up the NFL right now: Payton, Childress, Tomlin, Caldwell. All of these guys were asst coaches or coordinators who worked their way up the chain, like Fewell. In fact do you realize that of the 32 NFL head coaches, only 5 have prior NFL head coaching experience? (Mora-SEA, Coughlin-NYG, Phillips-DAL, Turner-SD, Bellicheat-NE) If hiring an experienced coach was such a great idea you'd think more teams would do it.

PTR

Even if Fewell wins out, how are a few wins going to POSSIBLY match up again men who are going to showcase resumes with fifteen year long track records of success and Super Bowl Rings??!!??

Take Fewell. Get a GM.

Bingo. Now that Dr. Death has been removed, the biggest problem is the front office.

The percentage of Super Bowl winning coaches who win it again with a different team is ZERO. It's never been done.

What he said!

Although I will not evaluate if PF should be our next HC without a little longer sample, I love this guy. I just like the spark he provides, and leaadership. I would love it if Mr. Wilson could spend $10 mil on OC, DC, GM, and maybe a FA. I don't think it is unrealistic that we could get away with this, and be way farther ahead than if we brought Shanny in.

When Richard had finally worn out his welcome, all I wanted was the biggest name on the market. I am glad we did it when we did and didn't wait until the end of the season. I think we are getting a little lesson here, as well as having time to contemplate before the check gets written... Honestly, I have no clue which is the right move right now. I am falling less and less in love with the idea of Shanahan, whom I was never high on to begin with, everyday. I like Cowher, and I liked Gruden, although his exit in Tampa is a little bit of a question mark.

If I had to make a decision, assuming the season is over, it would be Cowher or Perry. The reason is Perry can't really argue when we bring in a GM, which I feel is necessary, no GM/HC, please. He also doesn't really need to be consulted as far as OC/DC go. He just needs to be thankful he is given a shot.

Interesting... Isn't great that there is something fun to talk about as a Bills' fan? The cloud has been lifted, we have nowhere to go but up (fingers-crossed.)