Can We All Agree That If Shanahan

BuffaloBaumer

I'm not all that convinced that Shanahan is what the bills need. I would much rather have them decide on a GM as soon as possible and let the GM pick the coach. Having a coach with a GM beholden to him is a recipe for eventual disaster and that is what would happen if they pick shanahan and appoint a "shanahan" GM. As usual the bills are going at this bass ackward.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Shanahan doesn't leave Buffalo with a signed contract, then his chances of signing with us greatly diminishes.

Such pessimism.

I don't agree with that. It's a big decision, and sometimes organizational change may need to occur first (firing Modrak and Guy) before someone ultimately agrees. A gesture, if you will, of good faith.

It certainly makes sense for anyone to wait until the end of the year and the evaluate all the openings. The one problem with that stratagy is you just named the two likely top openings, Dallas and Washington. There are more than two coaches right now and by year end there could be more. So waiting to year end, you run the risk that you might end up being the odd man out.

On the other hand, maybe you don't really want to work for Snyder or Jerry. RW can be difficult, but he's not in their league. Those guys also want the attention, I don't see RW wanting that. You could wait till year end and use them as leverage to drive up your price.

I have never bought into the "Ralph cares more about money than winning" line of thinking. And I tend to believe him when he says he's willing to throw up to $10 million at a coach this time around.

That being the case, I don't feel Buffalo is as undesirable a location as people around here and in the media are making out to be. I think Dallas and Washington will be the top two locations for coaches because of the history of those clubs. Remember, these top coaches we're talking about (Cowher, Holmgren, Dungy, Shanahan) are football guys first and foremost, and even though we despise both those organizations, the Cowboys and Redskins are two of the most storied franchises in the league. The chance to make their mark along side of the likes of Landry and Gibbs would be a hard opportunity to pass up.

Buffalo is respected in the NFL as having a passionate fanbase. Coaches love to work for those types of clubs too. Especially knowing that the first coach to bring Lombardy home to Buffalo will in essence be sainted. But still, from a nostalgic, historical perspective, Buffalo can't compete with the luster of a Dallas or Washington.

So, if Shanahan leaves without a contract (which I suspect he will), I don't think it necessarily rules out Buffalo. I do think Dallas and Washington will scoop up two of the top coaches, but that would still leave Buffalo with a wealth of options. And once the situation in Dallas and Washington are cleared up, then I think Buffalo jumps to the top of the list of desirable coaching spots.

I'm not all that convinced that Shanahan is what the bills need. I would much rather have them decide on a GM as soon as possible and let the GM pick the coach. Having a coach with a GM beholden to him is a recipe for eventual disaster and that is what would happen if they pick shanahan and appoint a "shanahan" GM. As usual the bills are going at this bass ackward.

yes.

And ultimately, this is my biggest concern.

Each job, both head coach and GM, are both so all-consuming in attention that I don't think 1 man can physically excel at both. His ego may lead him to believe that he can, but if the Tuna can't do it, nobody can.

I believe Shanahan WOULD answer so much that has held the Bills back this decade, but with Modrak and Guy still in place, and not a real, football GM working the roster and draft, methinks it would ultimately prove too much for Shanahan to handle.

I, too, would rest easier with a real football GM.

Such pessimism.

I don't agree with that. It's a big decision, and sometimes organizational change may need to occur first (firing Modrak and Guy) before someone ultimately agrees. A gesture, if you will, of good faith.

I don't see it so much as pessimism as I do as realism. The OP made an astute point that if he doesn't sign with Buffalo by the end of the season, there will be places that are more attractive for him to coach. First off, every team will know that we offered him $10 Million, so they will most likely offer more knowing this. Then of course our facilities are not up to par with the Cowboys or Redskins facilities.

I'm hopeful that we sign him, but history tells us that once Free Agents leave without a contract, then the chances of that person signing with that club reduces dramatically.

I fully expect a coach with the credentials of Shanny to leave without a contract. You never take the first offer. Not when there's so much time for things to change. So, it won't surprise me at all. But, that doesn't in any way mean that he won't still come here.

If he's as smart as we all think he is, he'll still consider all his options and take the best all around offer on the table at season's end. And I would think that, although important, money isn't the most important aspect of his decision.

Shanahan ain't gonna leave with a contract. Think about it. He's going to wait to hear all offers and make his choice. Dallas and Washington may be "more attractive" but each comes with a huge negative. That being a meddling owner who goes through coaches faster than the Bills go through QBs.

While I'd welcome Shanahan as the new coach, I have some concerns. The much documented coach/GM issue. Shanahan is not known as a great judge of talent anyway. To give him that AND coach which will cut down on the amount of time and energy he can devote to coaching doesn't sound like very good idea.

The other is that it is reported that Shanahan is traveling with his DC. When he gets the job this guy will become DC. Denver had a bad defense which is why Shanahan got fired. Why would we want to bring this knucklehead into our camp?

But when he leaves town without a contract it in no way means he's never coming back. Even if he doesn't want to coach in Dallas or DC, he can still use their interest as a bargaining tool.

I'm no expert on the "Rooney Rule". But as I understand it, it just means they must interview a minority person. Can't we just interview Turner Gill? Don't see why this keeps being brought up as a problem.

And He leaves without a contract or verbal agreement, conversation is over as far as him being head coach. Cowher already said he was waiting until end of year to see options, Holmgren (leaning towards Cleveland..who knows).

Obviously Shanahan is not picking Buffalo at the end of the year when these other cities come into play. Ralph WILL throw the kitchen sink at this guy this week and we just have to pray that it sways Shanny to take the job. This has to happen this week. I think all the eggs are in this basket!

I'll forgive Brandon for everything if he does his best selling job this week and bags Shanahan. If he can do that, and Shanny comes to Buffalo, then Brandon is worth everything he's being paid.

GET ER DONE RUSS. Along with Ralph's money of course.

I'll forgive Brandon for everything if he does his best selling job this week and bags Shanahan. If he can do that, and Shanny comes to Buffalo, then Brandon is worth everything he's being paid.

GET ER DONE RUSS. Along with Ralph's money of course.

Brandon should just be sure to get Ralph's pin number to his ATM card BEFORE the meeting.

The cash should be brought to the meeting in suitcases.

Shanahan is going to meet and greet Ralph and Russ. His agent will request a lucrative buyout

if there are any issues relative to personnel, budgeting and overall control. I am sure Shany has done his

homework with Polian and AJ Smith to understand the pros and cons.

Shanahan is getting 7 million a year from the Broncos for the next 2 years. If he signs with another team then he forfiets the contract. I think he will wait for the season to end and see what his choices are. There is no need for him to sign in a hurry. The jobs will be there.

I have never bought into the "Ralph cares more about money than winning" line of thinking. And I tend to believe him when he says he's willing to throw up to $10 million at a coach this time around.

That being the case, I don't feel Buffalo is as undesirable a location as people around here and in the media are making out to be. I think Dallas and Washington will be the top two locations for coaches because of the history of those clubs. Remember, these top coaches we're talking about (Cowher, Holmgren, Dungy, Shanahan) are football guys first and foremost, and even though we despise both those organizations, the Cowboys and Redskins are two of the most storied franchises in the league. The chance to make their mark along side of the likes of Landry and Gibbs would be a hard opportunity to pass up.

Buffalo is respected in the NFL as having a passionate fanbase. Coaches love to work for those types of clubs too. Especially knowing that the first coach to bring Lombardy home to Buffalo will in essence be sainted. But still, from a nostalgic, historical perspective, Buffalo can't compete with the luster of a Dallas or Washington.

So, if Shanahan leaves without a contract (which I suspect he will), I don't think it necessarily rules out Buffalo. I do think Dallas and Washington will scoop up two of the top coaches, but that would still leave Buffalo with a wealth of options. And once the situation in Dallas and Washington are cleared up, then I think Buffalo jumps to the top of the list of desirable coaching spots.

While I agree that Dallas would be a good situation for a coach to sign with, I'm not so sure Washington is. They're a big mess without a QB and a lot of overpaid BAD players and a bad owner.

That's the ticket. Find a GM who: has a vision of what is required to build a successful franchise, knows how to evaluate talent that fits into his vision, knows how to assemble that talent into a successful team, and finally, knows how to pick a coach who can carry out that vision.

I think it doesn't matter if he commits or doesn't. We won't hear a thing until a final decision has been made. however, I think we have a good chance of getting Shanahan. Obviously Ralph is willing to spend the big money or else he wouldn't even bother meeting with Shanahan. Ralph has got to know before he even meets with him that he needs to be prepared to throw some serious $$$ at Shanahan. and I don't think that it is necessary because we are buffalo, but because Shanahan is going to have a lot of offers coming his way at the end of the year.

food for thought

And He leaves without a contract or verbal agreement, conversation is over as far as him being head coach. Cowher already said he was waiting until end of year to see options, Holmgren (leaning towards Cleveland..who knows).

Obviously Shanahan is not picking Buffalo at the end of the year when these other cities come into play. Ralph WILL throw the kitchen sink at this guy this week and we just have to pray that it sways Shanny to take the job. This has to happen this week. I think all the eggs are in this basket!

I can't imagine why any experienced coach would agree to a deal now without pursuing the other potential openings. Not because it's Buffalo, but because they want to look at several options.

I do think that if Ralph makes some noise among the higher profile coaching candidates soon that you might see other teams launch their coaches before the end of the year so that they aren't late to the coach hiring party.

That's the ticket. Find a GM who: has a vision of what is required to build a successful franchise, knows how to evaluate talent that fits into his vision, knows how to assemble that talent into a successful team, and finally, knows how to pick a coach who can carry out that vision.

Agree. Hard to tell good GM candidates that your coach has already been hired.