A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

9) Same old Bills at the end. Poor clock management at the half and the end of the game, ya know? Out coached and out muscled, but a plethora of defensive backs. But, these little buggers gave it their NFL all, wouldn't ya say?

10) Bye Perry! It's been real but we need a proven coach with a plan, a brain, and a track record of winning. I for one woulld prefer even Wade, but do take care.

Disagree on both points. Re: clock management, end of 1st half was a mess. Thought we had 2 timeouts left. Almost blew the FG. That falls on AVP, not Fewell. AVP was calling all the offensive plays.

But the end of game time management was brilliant and I'll explain why. By waiting until it was 1st & goal, Buffalo ensured they would get the ball back with a minute to go because Jax had to score a TD in 4 downs or come up empty-handed. If the Bills burned their timeouts earlier, Jax could have gotten a first down and taken the clock to zero. Not that it mattered in the end, but we did get over a minute left with one time out and a chance to send it to overtime.

As for Fewell I think he did a great job in his first game. Ask yourself, when was the last time the Bills played with that much confidence? It was like someone flipped a switch and the Bills were actually hitting people. I know you need to find fault because...well that's just what you do. But I'm really impressed with Perry Fewell. With our luck we will let him go and he will be a huge success elsewhere.

PTR

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Nice pattern and grab by Nelson just before the half. That was quite a leap; a great display of athleticism for a TE.

2) The 98 yard pass to TO was a perfect play. I suppose we should thank stupid, worthless little Roscoe Parrish for running backwards to the 2 yard line.

3) LOL. Early in the game it really felt strange to see a coach who looked alive and coherent. I was even more traumatized by Jauron than I had realized, that slow blinking loser.

4) I don't think that Fitz is very good. He might even suck but he has balls and I respect this.

5) What a hit by Kyle Williams in the 2nd quarter. It was no coincidence that Garrard threw a pick on the very next play, because this is the way that tackle football works.

6) Here we go again.....I thought that Poz was VERY good today, but I tend to always post this. Anybody care to blast him yet again?

7) Jonathan Scott is symbolic of everything that has sucked about this team for the last 12 or so years. Sometimes I think that I should be wearing a t-shirt with a picture of either Scott, or Demetrius (Tinker) Bell, and walking around in a trance with a weird and depressed look on my face.

8) The injury to Wood REALLY sucked. Son of a f-----g bith c--------r!!! :unsure::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

9) Same old Bills at the end. Poor clock management at the half and the end of the game, ya know? Out coached and out muscled, but a plethora of defensive backs. But, these little buggers gave it their NFL all, wouldn't ya say?

10) Bye Perry! It's been real but we need a proven coach with a plan, a brain, and a track record of winning. I for one woulld prefer even Wade, but do take care.

11) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Post! I agree with almost every point, including the one about Bell, if for no other reason than to lock up people who read posts just to bash them. That is ten fold since this was a good, relevant, and coherent post.

Wood...quick recovery, brother. I would love to see him back on the line next year, but more importantly walking correctly without life-long complications. I think the injuries to the OL, in reference to another post, are due to a couple things: 1. Poor strength and conditioning and 2. S#$t luck. There is no amount of training that could have saved Wood today. Unfortunately I think that this brings to light one of the most overlooked abilities in the game....the ability to keep yourself on the field. Particularly OL, they have people slamming and falling all around them all the time...Really makes you appreciate the guys that sustain long successful careers at these positons.

As far as Perry goes...I am a little sad for the ol'boy. He really doesn't stand a chance...does he? I loved his passion and it was great seeing a coach that spoke to players, which I believe is called coaching. One of my favorite moments of the game was after a failed 3rd down, when Owens was saying he was open...he and Fitz sat down with a computer and reviewed the play. That is team work fellas. Fitz was fun to watch, but the consensus is he is just not good enough to be our QB. Another note was that when Fitzy and Owens are going over that play, Edwards couldn't have looked more like a douche...looking over and walking away. I supported Trent for a long time, but he gave up...and this I can not forgive.

Williams looks like a keeper. Great play. Poz...I always feel he looks good. I was actually impressed with Whitner's play. He seemed to be a big help, and I would love if he and Byrd were able to be on the field for a whole game, healthy.

The sad part is for all of our talk about a QB, and LB's and DT's, although the OL gets plenty of recognition as an area of concern, I believe it may be worse than a few new pick ups. The injuries are effing disgusting. Our running game is non existent. I know there are a lot of Lynch haters, which is typical when a guy gives you back to back 1000 yard seasons his first two years in the league, but I love having him and Freddy on the field at the same time. I don't think there would be much that would please me more than seeing those two with a healthy line in front of them. On the same subject, I really liked Freddy lining up at WR today. I think there has been enough of us that liked that idea from the gate, but Tricky Dick would only get as crazy as a reverse every third week (that took an eternity to develop.)

T.O. Truth be told, this guy knows how to win. I have been thinking about some comments he made about not knowing how to lose... When I looked at him with Fitz today, never have I wanted him to come back so much. Even when he first signed and I had visions of he and Lee catching 80 per, and double digit touchdowns, did I think he was as good for this team as he is. He was a hot head, but he is now an elder statesman... He is a competitor and doesn't want to lose. He doesn't want the ball simply for stats, he wants to win, and he has confidence that he is a great way to make that happen. This team needs that more than anything else, in my opinion. A winning attitude. That is why I have always hoped Kelly would get more involved, because losing wasn't ok for him. It's hard to win the in NFL, but losing is harder ten fold. I know is cocky, but confidence isn't always a bad thing. If Trent had one iota of TO's confidence we might be talking playoffs. I say we get him involved, and as his swan song he helps turn this team into a winner. That would definitely overshadow his past debaucheries, especially when McNabb starts getting a pension with no rings, and Romo proves to be an overpaid hack. At the end of the day, he was so vilified could stand tall. I like him, and would welcome him back. I haven't felt that way all year, it has been a roller coaster ride, but today he showed me he wants to win, along with the fact that if you get him more than 3-4 forced passes he heats up, and maybe the dropping stops...

As has been said. We lost a heartbreaker, but I have never felt so good after a loss.

Why is our OL getting decimated. Is it the type of football they are being taught to play...I have never seen an OL decimated by injuries like this. To lose your starting LT, RG, and RT in 10 games is a disaster.

Two TDs were negated by Penalties...That was huge. As you said Fitz is a below average QB, but had the guts to throw the ball down field and let his WRs make plays.

The Bills made foolish mistakes. The OL was called for two false starts. Roscoe made the dumb play. Our LBs were invisible.

A lot of recipe for disaster. They could not protected a lead when the other team needed a TD to win the game.

Fewell is in a tough spot. He has got to win with this mediocre talent after 14 folks are in IR. I believe the difference between the great teams and the also rans is the depth they build. The Steelers and Pats have good depth in who they draft that they can plug them in without compromising their game plan.

The Bills show activate Steve Johnson and James Hardy to see what they have in them. It is really insane to not be able to find out about these players....Why bother with Parrish, when he is already being shown the door out.

Fewell has been part of the problem here for 3.5 seasons so I don't think we need to worry about how he is in a "tough spot". It wasn't just Jauron. In fact, it could be argued that his biggest mistake was hiring unworthy coordinators like Fewell. Accountability is a b*tch but also a necessity.

A couple things I remember from the game:

1. Every time I watch Fitz play, it confirms that he is terrible. Yes he made a couple nice throws, and does have alot more balls than Edwards does, but I have never in almost 40 years of watching NFL football, seen a quarterback throw so many ill advised, plain stupid throws. You couldn't count the throws that never even should have been thrown, and that doesn't include the several that he had Evans and Owens open and threw behind them. And to top it off, the way he managed the game at the end of the first half, he acted like he had no clue what the game situation was, walking around casually with no sense of urgency. It is his job as the QB to get the team up to the line of scrimmage and spike the ball.

2. Good to see T.O. involved, and should have been more with some better passes. WIth that said, I am tired of watching his attitude revolve intirely around him and not the team. He goes from pissed off and screaming when they don't throw him the ball, to being Mr. Leadership and cheerleader when he does make a play.

3. The run defense might have played their best game of the year, considering their injuiries, with Stroud out particularly, and considering who they were facing. I was almost expecting Jones Drew to put up 200 yards of rushing.

4. When all is said and done, it is another loss, and it is getting real old.

Could Kyle hold up on the line in a 3-4? He might be one of the few reluctant casualties if we made the switch.

I doubt he could play the nose effectively. End in the 3-4? Maybe. He is a little undersized but he is an over achiever so it wouldn't shock me if he could pull it off. I think Stroud would make a nice 3-4 end.

Trent may have a better skill set than Fitz, but the difference in leadership is blatantly in favor of Fitz.

And the players are reacting to it.

So unless Trent figures out how to be a leader, his career is destined for back up status.

For once, I agree with you. This is a dead on assessment. Fitz is a decent backup but he carries himself like a star QB. He takes chances and allows his guys to make plays.

I still believe Trent has what it takes to be a really good QB. But he could learn a lot from watching Fitz. I just wish he could have gotten 4 more yards so we don't have to hear about that 300 yard game thing anymore.

A couple things I remember from the game:

1. Every time I watch Fitz play, it confirms that he is terrible. Yes he made a couple nice throws, and does have alot more balls than Edwards does, but I have never in almost 40 years of watching NFL football, seen a quarterback throw so many ill advised, plain stupid throws. You couldn't count the throws that never even should have been thrown, and that doesn't include the several that he had Evans and Owens open and threw behind them. And to top it off, the way he managed the game at the end of the first half, he acted like he had no clue what the game situation was, walking around casually with no sense of urgency. It is his job as the QB to get the team up to the line of scrimmage and spike the ball.

You clearly didn't see Sanchez play today then. For all the hype that kid got he sure makes some craptastic throws. Not just bad throws, stupid, ill advised, wtf were you thinking throws.

Bill from NYC, just wanted to say I appreciate your post game comments. They usually stir the pot for some conversation about the game on a variety of points that are deeper than "Fitzpatrick sucks" or a similar rant. :unsure:

Danke sehr!

Agreed, Fitzy is not the guy. He's better than Trent; not sure how much of a compliment that is though. It wouldln't upset me at all to see Brohm next week or the week after. Why not, right? They got the guy; it had to be to see him play. I'm still puzzled by that move knowing you'll almost certainly have new HC next season.

Actually, the move to get Brohm was done specifically to attract a high caliber HC to the team.

Brohm was the third QB taken in the '08 draft and many draftnicks felt had he come out in '07 he would have been the number 1 QB taken. he's got talent and there's the potential (key word, POTENTIAL) that he could be a franchise type QB ... and most of the high profile coaches don't want to go to a team without a franchise type QB on the roster.

This is, and always has been, a QB league. As many have said over and over, you need a stud QB to win. There are exceptions, but they are few and far between. Belichick has a losing record without Brady. Cohwer needed Big Ben, Shanny needed Elway, Dungy needed Manning, Marv needed Kelly. The list goes on and on. And big time coaches KNOW this. They don't want to risk their reputations and go to a team that doesn't even have the potential of having that type of player on the roster.

This is NOT to say that I believe Brohm to be the answer (I don't) or that the Cowhers, Shannahan's and Dungy's of the world would think that ... but they would certainly be more open to the possibility of Brohm being a diamond in the rough than the two current turds we have under center right now in Fitzcraptic and Edwards.

So I think it was a great move by the front office to at least give the illusion of having a franchise type QB on the roster in order to lure a big time coach to the club -- it also speaks volumes about how they rate the upcoming crop of QBs in this year's draft.

And of course, excellent post as always Bill!

Disagree on both points. Re: clock management, end of 1st half was a mess. Thought we had 2 timeouts left. Almost blew the FG. That falls on AVP, not Fewell. AVP was calling all the offensive plays.

But the end of game time management was brilliant and I'll explain why. By waiting until it was 1st & goal, Buffalo ensured they would get the ball back with a minute to go because Jax had to score a TD in 4 downs or come up empty-handed. If the Bills burned their timeouts earlier, Jax could have gotten a first down and taken the clock to zero. Not that it mattered in the end, but we did get over a minute left with one time out and a chance to send it to overtime.

As for Fewell I think he did a great job in his first game. Ask yourself, when was the last time the Bills played with that much confidence? It was like someone flipped a switch and the Bills were actually hitting people. I know you need to find fault because...well that's just what you do. But I'm really impressed with Perry Fewell. With our luck we will let him go and he will be a huge success elsewhere.

PTR

I, for one, am more than willing to take that chance. :unsure:

8) The injury to Wood REALLY sucked. Son of a f-----g bith c--------r!!! :unsure::unsure::D:angry::angry:

Excellent post as usual, Bill. I hated the injury to Wood. :angry::cry::( My prayers are with him.

I agree that this team played with a lot of heart, but that it was out-coached. Speaking of coaching, I don't think Perry was even good enough to remain as our defensive coordinator. I don't understand why some posters feel he deserves to be promoted to head coach. Just because he seems more in control of the situation than our last head coach, does not mean he's the long-term answer we're looking for! Let's get a cerebral--or even a brilliant--head coach: someone who's smart enough to take on Bill Belichick in a coaching chess match.

Excellent post as usual, Bill. I hated the injury to Wood. :unsure::unsure::D My prayers are with him.

I agree that this team played with a lot of heart, but that it was out-coached. Speaking of coaching, I don't think Perry was even good enough to remain as our defensive coordinator. I don't understand why some posters feel he deserves to be promoted to head coach. Just because he seems more in control of the situation than our last head coach, does not mean he's the long-term answer we're looking for! Let's get a cerebral--or even a brilliant--head coach: someone who's smart enough to take on Bill Belichick in a coaching chess match.

Perry is already better than Jauron if for no other reason, on the basis that he seems to actually be alive. Still, his resume as running a dumb style of defense for Dick Jauron is hardly stunning. They did seem more aggressive, but the results always seem to be the same. I make the case that this team has a long term infection of weakness, stupidity and insanity. Roscoe Parrish being on the team, let alone their first pick of an NFL draft would seem to back my theory of ongoing idiocy.

So, while Fewell is a breath of fresh air over Jauron, I am still thinking that he had a hand in this mess. I'll take Marty, thank you very much.

Actually, the move to get Brohm was done specifically to attract a high caliber HC to the team.

Brohm was the third QB taken in the '08 draft and many draftnicks felt had he come out in '07 he would have been the number 1 QB taken. he's got talent and there's the potential (key word, POTENTIAL) that he could be a franchise type QB ... and most of the high profile coaches don't want to go to a team without a franchise type QB on the roster.

This is, and always has been, a QB league. As many have said over and over, you need a stud QB to win. There are exceptions, but they are few and far between. Belichick has a losing record without Brady. Cohwer needed Big Ben, Shanny needed Elway, Dungy needed Manning, Marv needed Kelly. The list goes on and on. And big time coaches KNOW this. They don't want to risk their reputations and go to a team that doesn't even have the potential of having that type of player on the roster.

This is NOT to say that I believe Brohm to be the answer (I don't) or that the Cowhers, Shannahan's and Dungy's of the world would think that ... but they would certainly be more open to the possibility of Brohm being a diamond in the rough than the two current turds we have under center right now in Fitzcraptic and Edwards.

So I think it was a great move by the front office to at least give the illusion of having a franchise type QB on the roster in order to lure a big time coach to the club -- it also speaks volumes about how they rate the upcoming crop of QBs in this year's draft.

And of course, excellent post as always Bill!

I hope that is the reason for the Brohm signing, but I am betting that going into next season, they sell to the fans will be "Brohm looks great in OTA's, he is the future of this team" and fans all over will go buy season tickets and fall for the same thing they did with Losman, Edwards and anyone else in the last 15 years.

I hope that is the reason for the Brohm signing, but I am betting that going into next season, they sell to the fans will be "Brohm looks great in OTA's, he is the future of this team" and fans all over will go buy season tickets and fall for the same thing they did with Losman, Edwards and anyone else in the last 15 years.

If anyone who isn't related to Brian Brohm buys season tickets because he's now on the team, they're beyond hope.

Then again, that could already apply to some of us...

Let me ask you this. In terms of game management, was there a significant difference b/w Fewell (1st game as HC) and Jauron (many games as HC)?

When the talent level and city sucks, it will affect how game management works

Fewell has been part of the problem here for 3.5 seasons so I don't think we need to worry about how he is in a "tough spot". It wasn't just Jauron. In fact, it could be argued that his biggest mistake was hiring unworthy coordinators like Fewell. Accountability is a b*tch but also a necessity.

It could also be argued that the earth is flat. But Dj absolutely sucked and would have done with any coordinators. I think yesterdays game was actually a testament to how awful DJ really is as a coach. And as for his being such a good man, we don't really know that either maybe he is a serial killer too. Or a lying bastard (as someone else noted his Yale transcript should be verified, he is a moron who speaks less coherently than neon dion on crack) that cheats on his wife with men, as a cather not a ptcher.

He will never get off the hook for the damage he caused the Bills, in my book.

Go Perry, I love the way he handles himself so far!

If you coached an untalented group like this, we wouldn't even have a tackle. Fewell has done a good job with the group of scrubs (ie: Schobel, Denney, Kelsey, Williams, Poz, Elisson, etc...) he has been given. And if I hear another thing about how great the holy Schobel is, it just shows how into mediocrity Buffalo fans have become.

I for one have to give Perry a thumbs up. I thought him and the coaching staff had the team ready to play. Given the fact that this was Perry first game as HC Ill give him a pass on the end of the first half because they got points. Think about it...Stroud, McKelvin, McGee, Ellison were out. Plus Byrd was playing hurt. That's just on Defense

Butler, Wood ,Marshawn, and this patchwork O-line. Fewell is really shorthanded, 8 starters out. I am surprised the game was this close.

The Defense was good Against the run. Williams sure has taken his game to another level this year. Johnson played well, held his own. Scott and Wilson continue to make plays. Shows we have at least some depth on this team.

The players are playing for jobs next season and it sure looked like it. They could have easily ran for the bus but they did not. I'm proud of them for that.

Fitz may not be the best QB on the team, he is erratic with some of his throws and should had had 3 or 4 picks. But he is a more of a leader than Trent and is and is willing to let his WR's make a play. For that I say make him the starter for the rest of the year. He seems to know how to deal with T.O., maybe having to deal with Ochocinco last year helped lol

For those calling for Brohm, that's just silly right now, no way he plays unless Fitz and Trent get hurt.

Don't know how bad Lynch is hurt but I would let Jackson get the bulk of the carries and let Marshawn do the goal line situations. I hope this is Perry's next move.