A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

Perry is already better than Jauron if for no other reason, on the basis that he seems to actually be alive. Still, his resume as running a dumb style of defense for Dick Jauron is hardly stunning. They did seem more aggressive, but the results always seem to be the same. I make the case that this team has a long term infection of weakness, stupidity and insanity. Roscoe Parrish being on the team, let alone their first pick of an NFL draft would seem to back my theory of ongoing idiocy.

So, while Fewell is a breath of fresh air over Jauron, I am still thinking that he had a hand in this mess. I'll take Marty, thank you very much.

I'm not sold on Schottenheimer. His teams do well in the regular season, but typically don't go very far in the playoffs. He has a good concept of the fundamentals of football--which is a very solid foundation. But for a team to go far in the playoffs, it either needs a) an overwhelming talent advantage, or b) a coaching staff that can at least hold its own WRT mental chess matches against the best coaches in the league. I don't necessarily put Schottenheimer in that category.

I think that Shanahan is in that category--at least on offense. Not that our next head coach has to be Shanahan--I'd be happy with someone else with a similar or better gift at winning mental chess matches.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sold on Schottenheimer. His teams do well in the regular season, but typically don't go very far in the playoffs. He has a good concept of the fundamentals of football--which is a very solid foundation. But for a team to go far in the playoffs, it either needs a) an overwhelming talent advantage, or b) a coaching staff that can at least hold its own WRT mental chess matches against the best coaches in the league. I don't necessarily put Schottenheimer in that category.

I think that Shanahan is in that category--at least on offense. Not that our next head coach has to be Shanahan--I'd be happy with someone else with a similar or better gift at winning mental chess matches.

Thank you for spelling his name correctly. You've restored my faith in mankind.

Marty is a bit old fashioned, but I often think that old fashioned football is the only way to win in Buffalo. I think that even during the superbowl years the Bills would have been a better team with just a litle more muscle. Lately, we have seen gadget plays and players, a defense that runs away from scrimage, etc. I get the feeling that Marty would end this nonsense immediately and return to basics.

Again, playing in the elements matters. We sometimes play in cold, rain, snow, and frequent strong swirling winds, and so so 2 of our 3 divisional opponents. You don't beat teams like this with first round picks such as Leodis McKelvin, Donte Whitner, or Marshaun Lynch with weed, a gun in the trunk, and no blocking. I would be happy if a 70 year old grandmother was coaching this team if she would focus on basic football, but Marty is my first choice because we need a tough guy to clean up this total mess that is ours.

Marty is a bit old fashioned, but I often think that old fashioned football is the only way to win in Buffalo. I think that even during the superbowl years the Bills would have been a better team with just a litle more muscle. Lately, we have seen gadget plays and players, a defense that runs away from scrimage, etc. I get the feeling that Marty would end this nonsense immediately and return to basics.

Again, playing in the elements matters. We sometimes play in cold, rain, snow, and frequent strong swirling winds, and so so 2 of our 3 divisional opponents. You don't beat teams like this with first round picks such as Leodis McKelvin, Donte Whitner, or Marshaun Lynch with weed, a gun in the trunk, and no blocking. I would be happy if a 70 year old grandmother was coaching this team if she would focus on basic football, but Marty is my first choice because we need a tough guy to clean up this total mess that is ours.

Valid points but I prefer Shanny cos of similar reasons. His brand of offense relies on the run game and that will be well suited to Buffalo's weather. Also, he has coached in cold conditions, albeit a bit higher above sea level.

As a side note, Lynch's performances have me worried. Even with the terrible OL, Jackson seems to get more out of his touches than Lynch.

If a guy's in a really lousy relationship, just about any woman seems like an immediate, significant upgrade. Which means that guy is going to be tempted to be . . . not picky enough. Another temptation is to identify the one trait of his current girlfriend which annoys or disappoints him the most, and begin dating a woman who's the opposite in that respect.

What I'm getting at here is that we shouldn't base this coaching decision on trying to be the antithesis of what's wrong with our current coaching staff. We should base it on whatever positive traits potential replacements can bring to Buffalo. As someone's already pointed out, Shanahan's teams tend to have a lot of success running the ball. We're talking actual success; as opposed to merely a grim commitment to "stick with the run" whether it's working or not. (Which is what Schottenheimer would bring.) Also, Shanahan's successes have come with sixth round draft picks and other guys you've never heard of running the ball; as opposed to having the luxury of a LaDanian Tomlinson over in San Diego.

Another thing I like about Shanahan is that whatever blocking scheme he uses for his offensive line seems to work very well in both run blocking and pass protection. That scheme is well-suited to the athletic, nimble players we currently have on our line. We'd get better offensive line play from a Shanahan-coached team than from one coached by Schottenheimer.

Edit: I looked at Denver's drafting from 1990 - 2007. During that span, they used one first round pick on their offensive line (T, 2003), and one second-round pick (C, 1999). I think that Denver's offensive lines have been very good, especially considering that they were mostly built with guys chosen in round 3 or lower. That said, I'm very open to the idea of using the Bills' first round pick on a LT in the 2010 draft.

On defense, Shanahan would switch the Bills to a 3-4!!! :rolleyes::thumbsup:<_< I realize not all 3-4s are created equal; and that Denver's version might not be as good as the Wade Phillips version or the Bill Belichick version. Still, just about any 3-4 would be a significant improvement over the "bend and slowly break" Tampa-2 defense we're currently running. As well as being probably a better fit for Aaron Maybin than our current 4-3.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Didn't understand the need to bash a kid (again. and again.) who didn't even play.

OK. FWIW, he doesn't look very promising to me (having just watched the rookies Monroe and Britton play pretty well for the Jags) and I'm not hopeful, but who knows. Maybe he'll pan out.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Didn't understand the need to bash a kid (again. and again.) who didn't even play.

I am posting this against my better judgement.

Imo, Bell sucks. I thought so the first time I saw him play. Even if he doesn't suck, imo he is symbolic of what is causing this football team that I obviously have a lot invested in to lose football games. If you think that he is or ever will be good, I am all for it. Perhaps we could even have a dialogue about it. I have made wrong predictions on this board before. Maybe you can tell me why he will be the next Walter Jones, or even a good player. I'm listening.

Still, crying out to the mods was a cheap shot. We all are allowed to post here by their good graces and those of SDS. Do you want me to be banned because I watched Bell and don't think he can play left tackle in the NFL at a decent level? I like to talk about the Bills, and what I think needs to be done to make them a winning team.

No mystery here.

Imo, Bell sucks. I thought so the first time I saw him play. Even if he doesn't suck, imo he is symbolic of what is causing this football team that I obviously have a lot invested in to lose football games. If you think that he is or ever will be good, I am all for it. Perhaps we could even have a dialogue about it. I have made wrong predictions on this board before. Maybe you can tell me why he will be the next Walter Jones, or even a good player. I'm listening.

Still, crying out to the mods was a cheap shot. We all are allowed to post here by their good graces and those of SDS. Do you want me to be banned because I watched Bell and don't think he can play left tackle in the NFL at a decent level? I like to talk about the Bills, and what I think needs to be done to make them a winning team.

No mystery here.

Bill

I think you are off base here

Bell has a famous father -

how can he not be a super-star?

not to mention he was scouted and drafted by the stellar Bills front office,

a bastion of excellence in building "offensive" lines

The Bills used similar rationale to draft the really tall Hardy, who also has justified the ironclad logic at OBD.

If Bell was no good, there is no way the Bills would have passed up another midget DB to take him

get your act together

No mystery here.

It was a mystery why so many people thought Bell would be an instant starter despite never seeing NFL action prior to this season. At a minimum, he was a two year project that wouldn't pay off until at least 2010. But when the team was thin and needed someone to hype for fans to forget Peters, Bell was their man.

If it's not acceptable to have a strong opinion about players or the front office, then what are any of us here for? You can go over every draft this team has had since 2005 and not find one star player. Bill-we've all made mistakes and bad predictions, myself included. But I agree that believing in untested players to suddenly be average to good NFL starters without the benefit of actually playing is absurd.