Bills fans need to pull for Cowboy wins

LA Bills Fan

It pains me to say this, but we need the Cowboys to win a bunch of games so that Wade Phillips has a job next year. If Phillips is fired, the Cowboys will definitely outbid the smaller market teams for the best coach available. We've got a good shot against the Clevelands, Washingtons and Oaklands of the world but can't compete against Jer-uh, his billions and new stadium.

That said, Phillips is an idiot (see Rob Johnson over Doug Flutie) and will find a way to get fired and probably wind up back in Buffalo.

It pains me to say this, but we need the Cowboys to win a bunch of games so that Wade Phillips has a job next year. If Phillips is fired, the Cowboys will definitely outbid the smaller market teams for the best coach available. We've got a good shot against the Clevelands, Washingtons and Oaklands of the world but can't compete against Jer-uh, his billions and new stadium.

That said, Phillips is an idiot (see Rob Johnson over Doug Flutie) and will find a way to get fired and probably wind up back in Buffalo.

As much as I hate it, you are correct.

I just cant see that a coach like Cowher or Shanahan that want total control will go to a team with a meddling, spotlight grabbing owner like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder.

I disagree.

These big name coaches do want to get paid, which Jerry Jones is willing to do.

However, these high profile coaches also want power to make personnel decisions, which I'm sure is asking Jerry Jones' ego too much.

No way he'll part with the power to make decisions. He wants a "yes" man as his HC and he already is on the Cowgirls coaching staff: Jason Garett. Garett could've had a HC position elsewhere already, but Jerry stepped up and paid him some big $$$ to stay on as a OC which could grow into a HC position with the team if Wade fails.

The one team you should be worrying about is the Redskins.

Playing Rob Johnson over Doug Flutie was not Wade's decision. Ralph Wilson essentially ordered this move. If the guy signing your paychecks tells you to do something...you do it...

I don't think Wade is a great coach, but he isn't an idiot either.

Since you brought it up, Flutie did a great job at the end of that playoff game in Miami. You guys and Marcellus Wiley always seem to forget that game when talking about playoff games from that era.

As an aside, I miss those days when you could actually use "Buffalo Bills" and "playoffs" in the same sentence.

The Miami game was the year prior, that year Flutie was great. But by the next season, teams had him figured out, take away the middle, make him throw to the outsdie. With his arm, he was in trouble. The Bill's won alot that following year, but was more in spite of Flutie rather than because of him. If I recall he had one real good game that year after about week 4 or so, the rest were nothing special that you felt you could go far in the playoffs with his play at QB.

Since you brought it up, Flutie did a great job at the end of that playoff game in Miami. You guys and Marcellus Wiley always seem to forget that game when talking about playoff games from that era.

As an aside, I miss those days when you could actually use "Buffalo Bills" and "playoffs" in the same sentence.

Of the currently unemployed HC/GM possibilities out there are you saying you wouldn't be excited with even our second choice?

Shanny, Holmgren, Cowher, Chuckie, Billick ....... shoot give me any one of those and I'll be a heck of a lot happier than I was with the last group of coaches that have graced our doorstep.

Granted we all have our favorites in who we would like to see run our team. Mine in order are Cowher, Holmgren, or Shanny .... I don't care too much for the other two (but I think I would take them above a youngster assistant from another team with "potential").

I just can't make myself root for the Dolphins, Cheatriots, or Cowboys No way, No how.

Of the currently unemployed HC/GM possibilities out there are you saying you wouldn't be excited with even our second choice?

Shanny, Holmgren, Cowher, Chuckie, Billick ....... shoot give me any one of those and I'll be a heck of a lot happier than I was with the last group of coaches that have graced our doorstep.

Granted we all have our favorites in who we would like to see run our team. Mine in order are Cowher, Holmgren, or Shanny .... I don't care too much for the other two (but I think I would take them above a youngster assistant from another team with "potential").

I just can't make myself root for the Dolphins, Cheatriots, or Cowboys No way, No how.

No, I wouldn't be disappointed with any of those choices..... but just like everything in Buffaloland we need the stars to align for anything good to happen and taking Dallas out of the mix only helps us.

Why do I feel like we're still going to end up with a 2nd tier coach in a year when there are unprecedented quality coaches available?

I don't think you will see Wade back in Buffalo. If you remember RW tried to say that he quit rather than to admit he was fired. This was so he wouldn't have to pay him the remainder of his salary.

I don't think you will see Wade back in Buffalo. If you remember RW tried to say that he quit rather than to admit he was fired. This was so he wouldn't have to pay him the remainder of his salary.

Jerry Jones likes coaches he has control over like Wade and that idiot coach from Oklahoma, Barry Switzer

From the broken record department: the Dolphins had probably the best defense in the league that season (1st in points allowed, 3rd in yards allowed, 1st in INTs, 3rd in yards per passing attempt) that season, and were playing at home. All told, Flutie lit them up like an Xmas tree (21-36, 360 yards, 90.5 rating).

I just cant see that a coach like Cowher or Shanahan that want total control will go to a team with a meddling, spotlight grabbing owner like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder.

Vic Carrucci of NFL.com said that Shanahan liked Buffalo over Washington mainly because of meddling Snyder and the fact he'd have total control here.

PTR

Is Wade the best coach ever? Not by a long shot. Lets give him is due though; he had a fantastic record with the Bills. ...not only that - he is one of the few coaches to have a winning record with this franchise. I wish we had the types of problems now that we had when he was the coach.