Keeping management the same

BillsVet

Aside from hiring Buddy Nix as a national scout, there haven't been any new faces or opinions in this organization in quite some time. IMO, that's how they want it to be, though their hand may be forced this off-season.

One wonders why the team is rooted in preventing outside and qualified individuals from entering the scene. Should the Bills finish 7-9 or worse, management has a serious problem: Do they stick with the cheaper and tired strategy of remaining the same, or introduce someone from the outside to a flawed management structure?

Or, do they simply replace the lame HC who has proven he cannot win when it counts? I can see them keeping the same front office (and not hiring a GM) while placing the blame squarely onto DJ. Either way, fans are in the same position as they were last year: waiting for the off-season.

Unless the Bills make it to the Holy Land (playoffs), then Jauron is gone and I feel Ralph hires someone to head football operations. Wether or not that person is any good remains to be seen.

Ralph will not fire Dick with 2 years left on his contract, no matter how many games they lose.

a timely free agent signing in the off-season and the lemmings will be back setting more season ticket sales records.

Unless the Bills make it to the Holy Land (playoffs), then Jauron is gone and I feel Ralph hires someone to head football operations. Wether or not that person is any good remains to be seen.

Do you need any links to understanding the Holy Trinity? :thumbsup:

I can't see anyone entering OBD to work for RW with Littman strictly controlling expenditures. Most likely a football ops guy wants Guy, Modrak, and DJ fired which will cost some decent money for this franchise.

I doubt there will be a change in the front office. Hopefully, they hire a STRONG Head Coach that is a good judge of talent & let him have a say in personal matters. The question is how much say has Jauron had in the making of this team?

He recived more say after Marv left.....No depth and a bunch of spe4cial teamers round out our roster....Good work Dick :thumbsup:

Aside from hiring Buddy Nix as a national scout, there haven't been any new faces or opinions in this organization in quite some time. IMO, that's how they want it to be, though their hand may be forced this off-season.

One wonders why the team is rooted in preventing outside and qualified individuals from entering the scene. Should the Bills finish 7-9 or worse, management has a serious problem: Do they stick with the cheaper and tired strategy of remaining the same, or introduce someone from the outside to a flawed management structure?

Or, do they simply replace the lame HC who has proven he cannot win when it counts? I can see them keeping the same front office (and not hiring a GM) while placing the blame squarely onto DJ. Either way, fans are in the same position as they were last year: waiting for the off-season.

Exactly.

This has been my only addendum to fans calling for Jauron's head at season's end. That being, it is not all his fault. There are 2 individuals in the front office that have been the biggest constant this decade besides Ralph- and that would be Tom Modrak and John Guy.

My concern is that if people only call for Jauron's ouster, then Ralph will not hear the outcry that it is really organizational change in the front office that we need; in addition to a new coaching staff. Bobby April and Sanders do atleast appear to be retainable. Everyone else can go.

Combine the lack of success Modrak and Guy have had since coming aboard at OBD with the marketing ploys of wannabe-GM-Brandon and you have a recipe for the decade of futility that we have been a witness to for this decade.

Solely firing Jauron at seasons end, and bringing in anyone at HC will only go so far. Bring in Shanahan, Cowher, whomever. With Modrak, Guy, and Brandon still having a hand in the football operations the results will remain the same.

He recived more say after Marv left.....No depth and a bunch of spe4cial teamers round out our roster....Good work Dick :pirate:

I have thought about this a lot and I'm not so sure. It is shocking that he took Maybin, Wood and Levitre before drafting all db and small lbs.

If Mauron stays, look for a first round, perhaps even a top 5 safety, and they will dump Whitner in one way or another. Ralph is not gonna want to pay him for his limited production.

I have thought about this a lot and I'm not so sure. It is shocking that he took Maybin, Wood and Levitre before drafting all db and small lbs.

If Mauron stays, look for a first round, perhaps even a top 5 safety, and they will dump Whitner in one way or another. Ralph is not gonna want to pay him for his limited production.

If the Bills draft anything other than a LT in the first round this year, I will be teetering.

If they draft another player for the secondary in the first round, I will be done.

For as much as we, the fans, want to see sweeping changes in both coaching and the FO, I see no indication that any of that will actually happen.

We scream about how bad things are and how long things have been bad and can show that the root of the problem is the FO and the coaching staff, the media reports on it and still we don't even get an acknowledgement from the organization that they have a problem. Not that admitting a problem would make much difference - I recall Ralph compaining about the team simply not having the talent and then doing nothing to change that.

For as much as we all can't imagine that changes wouldn't be made to at least get us pointed in the right direction, I don't see any signs at all that we'll actually see any action taken. You think you were stunned and amazed Jauron wasn't fired after last season? Wait until we suffer some even worse 2nd half of the season defeats (yes, it always seesm to get worse when you think it can't) and finish with anywhere between 4 and 7 wins and Jauron is retained in the name of continuity or some other BS - then you'll really want to go on a rampage. Start removing sharp objects from your house - I really think that's what happens.

I believe Dick had a lot of say the first 3 years. After the free fall last season, he was kept on but Ralph himself hinted that there had to be changes made in the structure of football operations. It wasn't lost on Ralph that the certain people in the organization lobbied for Jay Cutler but instead Dick and Marv determined the journeyman-like Donte Whitner was going to be a cornerstone of the franchise. This past draft and the complete overhaul of the OL do suggest that there was a change in the Bills muddle huddle yes-think at the top.

Still, before "crowning their asses" for picking a few lineman, I do have to say that it was a weak overall effort by the "concussed brain trust". While I like Wood and Levitre, the Bills desperately needed tackles after pedaling Peters, as Walker was barely pedestrian as a RT at his best. Only those with the Kool-Aid IV tubes thought otherwise, and the fans are paying for the front office believing their own bluff and delivering another hollow, wasted season. Unsurprisingly, the Bills have arguably the worst set of OTs (and cheapest) in the NFL. The Maybin pick was a pick for potential over production, which was a huge gamble (yet again) for a team in desperate need of upgrading its talent level. The Maybin pick was in some ways like the Willis McGahee pick; with Willis they took a guy that wouldn't play a down when Gregg Williams was in playoffs or bust mode based completely on their projections of his potential. AM is looking more like a Corey Moore than a Dwight Freeney at this point.

Modrak is pretty much the main guy when it comes to the draft and our drafts have sucked. Frankly, one could argue that Jauron has overachieved on the field given the cards he was dealt by Brandon and the scouts. I think Brandon should go back to just marketing and we should fire Dick and from the scouting dept., at the very least, Modrak. Let the new coach decide on what assts. to keep and the new GM decide what to do with the scouts.

Modrak is pretty much the main guy when it comes to the draft and our drafts have sucked. Frankly, one could argue that Jauron has overachieved on the field given the cards he was dealt by Brandon and the scouts. I think Brandon should go back to just marketing and we should fire Dick and from the scouting dept., at the very least, Modrak. Let the new coach decide on what assts. to keep and the new GM decide what to do with the scouts.

Why do we assume Brandon is going to happily step down and give up his position?

Ralph will not fire Dick with 2 years left on his contract, no matter how many games they lose.

a timely free agent signing in the off-season and the lemmings will be back setting more season ticket sales records.

That only works so many times, signing a big name. There is no way, short of the Bills winning out the season that DJ is employed the day after the season ends no matter how many years are left on his contract. Ralph may be old, but he isn't an idiot or senile. The only reason DJ is not gone know is cause he knows that theres no one on staff that is going to improve them that much more at this point and they are just riding out the season. They have their tickets sold this year. He knows next year though that BIG changes are needed in order to get fans back. Unfortunatly, the fans probably will never be happy with the choice cause it won't be one of the top guys that everyone assumes is available (remember, wanting to coach here has to be mutual, and its not always about money. Alot of these guys have made their money and won championships and have nothing more to prove, they can take their cushy TV jobs and spend lots more time with their families now making good money)

I am beginning to think this as well

When will Ralph realize that this coach and scouting dept. is not working??? :pirate:

Dude, Modrak is drafting to fit Jaurons coaching style, small quick players who are nice guys off the field.

This problem is all related to Jauron and his type of players.

Look at the Jets, big , fast players that play with an Edge, drafted that way to fit the style of the HC, Mr Ryan.

The Billboard is so spot on, Ralph needs to clean house before we get any better.

I believe Ralph will finally cave to the outcry of the fans and clean house.

I want what you to predict to happen (clean house), but I am not confident that R.W. will do that! It would go against the grain of what R.W. usually does with multiple year contracts that remain (2yrs approx 6 million). Instead I think they will make 2 acceptable changes to appease the fans. They will probably focus most of the offensive woes on the Offensive Coordinator position and justify moving A. Van Pelt back to his original coaching position on the team. They'll probably say that it wasn't fair to throw VanPelt into the fire with no O.C. experience or preparation. They will probably hire a full fledge

Offensive Coord. with experience (hopefully winning). I believe that they will release either Hamdan or Fitszpatrick at QB

and bring in one of the more significant free agent QB's available and have him backed up by T. Edwards who will be touted as their QB of the future. D.J. will say something about Trent still being a young QB who with more seasoning and

mentoring from the seasoned veteran they bring in will eventually be there #1 QB again as D.Jauron will say how he believes in Trent! Some of the offensive woes will also be blamed on injuries (also the defense) and this will help the Bills deflect some of the wrath for their poor performances. I think the Bills will have an opportunity to draft highly touted QB's

but will probably refrain from doing so becuase of the salary implications of choosing a QB high in the draft. I think that the Bills will draft a Left OT or DT or both in their first 2 picks of the draft. I think the Bills will look for a WR fairly high in the draft (3rd or 4th round)...and quite possibly re-sign T.Owens as he should come cheap and there should be little competition around the leaugue based on his lack of production, dynamic personality, and continuation of dropping the football.

What I want to see happen is that the Bills hire Bill Polian as GM somehow! Not likely, but who knows....Hire any coach with a winning record and a pulse, Draft a QB first round, Draft Left Tackle second round or trade Lynch and the 2nd round pick for another first rounder and get the best Left Tackle on the board. After that who cares the draft is already a success !

Make sure we get new front office personnel, scouts, draft people....etc....secretaries, coffee people, mail room, I mean a clean sweep! There's several other changes including practicing outdoors alot more like the 90's, no soft training camps...,

ensure they wear pads and tackle during training camp, no extra days off for T.O., No deferring receiving the opening kickoff unless the wind is actually a big factor, change defensive styles to be more compatible with their opponents that way you are practicing the same defense on a daily basis which will help against their divisional opponents as they are lousy defending the 3-4 defense and lose almost every time they face it! In my book you do these things and several other things that I would propose then this team would be in a superbowl again within 5 years!!!

I can easily see that and think it's the most realistic scenario. However, if Jauron is responsible for drafting all the DBs, that may indicate the HC has considerable input in which players come and go. If so, it's reasonable to assume that new HC may have the same input.

So, my question is, if a new HC comes in and he shifts the focus to building the lines (as opposed to the secondary) would that be enough?

Guessing what the PR folks will cook up after this season is better than waiting for gameday. We know they'll have some excuses ready for why they've missed the playoffs for a fourth straight season since TD was fired.

A new HC is merely fixing a symptom of the team illness. Building a team, after the owner, begins with the GM who manages football ops. The HC should be an extension of the GM, with the latter having a vision for how and what he wants the team to be. A new HC will not cure the ills, especially because Modrak and Guy would probably remain without a new GM.

Guessing what the PR folks will cook up after this season is better than waiting for gameday. We know they'll have some excuses ready for why they've missed the playoffs for a fourth straight season since TD was fired.

A new HC is merely fixing a symptom of the team illness. Building a team, after the owner, begins with the GM who manages football ops. The HC should be an extension of the GM, with the latter having a vision for how and what he wants the team to be. A new HC will not cure the ills, especially because Modrak and Guy would probably remain without a new GM.

Just like being a successful offence starts with having a QB behind center with the RB behind him (the Wild Cat would never be a success!) The structure doesn't always matter, its that the people in charge calling the shots are teh right people calling the shots that they were hired to do.

This front office (and the owner) aren't that stupid, they know they can't give excuses for another year of no playoffs, and keeping the same coaching staff. They may allow DJ to "Step down", but they will not come back next season with him as HC cause the lemmings (fans that bought into T. the saviour O.) are too far gone to fall for the Sign a Big name FA trick now. The only thing that might convince fans to spend with DJ back is if somehow they get Brady, Peyton, or Brees for a 5th round pick this offseason

I think the difference is you elevate RB to president. This way it's kind of a promotion to him, puts him in a position he is pretty qualified to fill, and whomever you make the new GM doesn't have total unconditional control. That was the problem with TD, there was no one else watching the store. I think RW does like and trust RB, so Ralph would be comfortable with someone in charge of football operations with RB as president.

Sure. We once tried to have a football man run the show. And because that didn't work, let's go the route of having amateurs and failures handle it from now on.

/sarcasm off

Why do we assume Brandon is going to happily step down and give up his position?

I think the difference is you elevate RB to president. This way it's kind of a promotion to him, puts him in a position he is pretty qualified to fill, and whomever you make the new GM doesn't have total unconditional control. That was the problem with TD, there was no one else watching the store. I think RW does like and trust RB, so Ralph would be comfortable with someone in charge of football operations with RB as president.

I don't see RW giving up the title of president. If he trusted RB as much as you think he is, it probably would make sense, but I think RW has gone into a shell as he's aged.

That only works so many times, signing a big name. There is no way, short of the Bills winning out the season that DJ is employed the day after the season ends no matter how many years are left on his contract. Ralph may be old, but he isn't an idiot or senile. The only reason DJ is not gone know is cause he knows that theres no one on staff that is going to improve them that much more at this point and they are just riding out the season. They have their tickets sold this year. He knows next year though that BIG changes are needed in order to get fans back. Unfortunatly, the fans probably will never be happy with the choice cause it won't be one of the top guys that everyone assumes is available (remember, wanting to coach here has to be mutual, and its not always about money. Alot of these guys have made their money and won championships and have nothing more to prove, they can take their cushy TV jobs and spend lots more time with their families now making good money)
Yeah right. :lol: