The prisoners are escaping

major

When players start coming out (aka- Whitner and Jackson) stating that they'd like to have Michael Vick on the team, it isn't a good sign to the owner, coaches, GM, etc... The players are starting to sound like the fans calling into sports radio and that isn't a good sign for management.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vick served his time to society. That is good enough for me. However, i don't want him on the Bills team because as a player i don't think he is that good. He is the last thing this team needs right now.

I agree with respect to paying his debt.

Is he an upgrade over Edwards and Fitz? Yes.

A big upgrade? No. More of a running threat than a passing threat.

Is he going to take the Bills to the playoffs? No.

I agree with respect to paying his debt.

Is he an upgrade over Edwards and Fitz? Yes.

A big upgrade? No. More of a running threat than a passing threat.

Is he going to take the Bills to the playoffs? No.

Who can say? he took Atlanta there.

And for everyone who said Vince Young was so bad, watch out he comes to town this weekend I think he will take it out on us.

Who can say? he took Atlanta there.

And for everyone who said Vince Young was so bad, watch out he comes to town this weekend I think he will take it out on us.

Does anyone think Vick will take THIS team to the playoffs? I don't.

Vince Young WAS bad. He happens to be playing better at the moment.

Vick served his time to society. That is good enough for me. However, i don't want him on the Bills team because as a player i don't think he is that good. He is the last thing this team needs right now.

I want Vick in a Bills uni more than anything. I have only heard good things about his work ethic and desire to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. Having Dungy around as a mentor doesnt hurt either.

One thing I'm really starting to believe in besides mechanics and size and QB skill is can this guy win me a game?

Vick can and has in the past, give him a year to get his feet under him behind McNabb then let the Bills take him in. make him earn the starting role and Be our QB. I wanna see it happen and i really think he can and will help this team.

any chance we could have a thread in which Vick is referred to not be hijacked by the predictable debate in regards to Vick's character. i'm not saying there isn't room for that debate, but i am saying it's been well-trod ground.

and the point of this thread, by my reading, is not about Vick but about what Fred Jackson and Donte Whitner had to say, which I credit Major for making a valid point that should be discussed, rather than the "Yeah," "Oh yeah!" stuff that can be easily found on one of the 248 threads ever posted on this board in regards to Vick and dog-fighting.

jw

any chance we could have a thread in which Vick is referred to not be hijacked by the predictable debate in regards to Vick's character. i'm not saying there isn't room for that debate, but i am saying it's been well-trod ground.

and the point of this thread, by my reading, is not about Vick but about what Fred Jackson and Donte Whitner had to say, which I credit Major for making a valid point that should be discussed, rather than the "Yeah," "Oh yeah!" stuff that can be easily found on one of the 248 threads ever posted on this board in regards to Vick and dog-fighting.

jw

To answer your question ... doubtful, but we can always try. (Personally, signing Vick might just push me the last little bit into not renewing for next season, but I'm also not going to tell anyone else how to spend their money.)

To the point of the thread, should I take Whitner's and Jackson's comments as merely a thought that the Bills need to add some talent to get better -- try something, anyway -- or as a distinct vote of no confidence in Trent Edwards? They're related, but I'm not entirely sure they're the same thing.

jw

Based on his win loss record at Atlanta, he is a major upgrade from TE and certainly Fitz.

But, we would need coaching that can adapt to the players on the team, which we do not currently have even a semblance of. Our current coach has a hard enough time with the mickey mouse offense he has put in place, and makes completely inappropriate adjustments like going no-huddle with players that are just not suited (not to mention the cover 2 on defense with a weak pass rush). DJ is truly the 'mauronic inferno'.

New coach next year who has basic competance Vick can be a successful NFL qb which he has proven already. And with a good coach Vick can excel.

I think Vick would be an immediate upgrade over Edwards. He can move which helps with no offensive line. He has a strong arm for our windy stadium. It is one draft pick not burned on a QB but rather on an offensive or defensive lineman.

jw

jw

I have certainly noted a lack of overflowing optimism from the Bills players WRT Trent since the beginning. They toe the company line, sure. But, I can't recall another player going out of their way to declare Trent "the Leader" of this team. Indeed, after he went down this year, players voiced support and confidence in the understudy. :thumbsup: Which would be rather surreal on many other teams.

The fact players are running out in the streets in support of an illusional (at this point) QB in Vick is crossing the company line and a sign of cracks in the carefully whitewashed facade.

Is there a sense among the players that Trent was anointed by the HC and handed the job? Sort of tough to win in this league if your QB has the inspirational character of a wallflower.

I have certainly noted a lack of overflowing optimism from the Bills players WRT Trent since the beginning. They toe the company line, sure. But, I can't recall another player going out of their way to declare Trent "the Leader" of this team. Indeed, after he went down this year, players voiced support and confidence in the understudy. :thumbsup: Which would be rather surreal on many other teams.

The fact players are running out in the streets in support of an illusional (at this point) QB in Vick is crossing the company line and a sign of cracks in the carefully whitewashed facade.

Is there a sense among the players that Trent was anointed by the HC and handed the job? Sort of tough to win in this league if your QB has the inspirational character of a wallflower.

More than any other player (and there are several) TE has been destroyed by DJ.

Bad luck for him.

The difference between edwards and vick is that edwards is a stat guy. puts up good stats, enough to not look bad, but not good enough to win. Vick is a gamer, not so pretty stats, but finds ways to win games, kind of like flutie. Last time we had a guy who was mobile (flutie) we didn't do so bad.

I think Vick would be an immediate upgrade over Edwards. He can move which helps with no offensive line. He has a strong arm for our windy stadium. It is one draft pick not burned on a QB but rather on an offensive or defensive lineman.

+1 :thumbsup:

i think major's point, and excuse me if i'm wrong, is that it wasn't a discussion about Vick, perse, but rather noting that players are questioning personnel in their own locker room.

Whitner, as noted in my story yesterday, outright said that players are replaceable when they're not getting the job done. he included himself, but it was in response to a question in regards to whether he's sensitive to the fact that by wanting Vick, he could be stirring the pot with players at that position.

it's not just that he wants Vick, it's that he believes Vick is better than the above. and i'm wondering whether that sentiment is a good one to have in furthering a "team" concept.

and whether or not Vick lands in Buffalo next season, the observation made by major is that players -- and i'm not sure what Fred Jackson said -- are beginning to publicly question their teammates' value, or at least in Whitner's case, questioning their teammates value by ommission.

jw

FJax comments, from the quote sheet posted yesterday afternoon:

On rumors that Philadelphia Eagles QB Michael Vick could possibly join the Bills next year and if he’d be a good fit:

I mean anytime you add a playmaker like that to any roster it’s going to be a good add, but that’s not up to me. But I would definitely welcome him. He’s a playmaker and he can make plays for anybody.

On if quarterback speculations affects them:

Well I don’t think there’s really any talk about bringing in another quarterback in this locker room or around here so I don’t think it’s distracting at all.

More general than Whitner's, with which you're already familiar.

FJax comments, from the quote sheet posted yesterday afternoon:

More general than Whitner's, with which you're already familiar.

thanks. been way too busy.

i find myself in an odd position to actually be agreeing with an OP ... hmmm. must be swine flu or something. another round of Jameson might cure that ...

jw

Running qbs never work out. Wrong move for the Bills. But, it would be a typical one. For now I don't care who is qb, rb or wr. We should be concentrating on building the offensive line. But even when they do try to bolster the line they screw it up.

thanks. been way too busy.

i find myself in an odd position to actually be agreeing with an OP ... hmmm. must be swine flu or something. another round of Jameson might cure that ...

jw

Couldn't hurt, right?

(Aside: Hope you enjoyed a gorgeous weekend. A mutual friend claims that the Bills' bye is one of his favorite days of the year ...)

i think major's point, and excuse me if i'm wrong, is that it wasn't a discussion about Vick, perse, but rather noting that players are questioning personnel in their own locker room.

Whitner, as noted in my story yesterday, outright said that players are replaceable when they're not getting the job done. he included himself, but it was in response to a question in regards to whether he's sensitive to the fact that by wanting Vick, he could be stirring the pot with players at that position.

it's not just that he wants Vick, it's that he believes Vick is better than the above. and i'm wondering whether that sentiment is a good one to have in furthering a "team" concept.

and whether or not Vick lands in Buffalo next season, the observation made by major is that players -- and i'm not sure what Fred Jackson said -- are beginning to publicly question their teammates' value, or at least in Whitner's case, questioning their teammates value by ommission.

jw

I think as you said, Whitner is in fact saying Trent is not a good QB & needs to be replaced. I think by speaking out like that it is just further proof that Trent is not a leader & needs to be replaced. As far as the "team concept" aspect, maybe Donte knows the majority of the team feels the same way & is as a leader acting as a voice for the team.

Couldn't hurt, right?

(Aside: Hope you enjoyed a gorgeous weekend. A mutual friend claims that the Bills' bye is one of his favorite days of the year ...)

got down to Pittsburgh-town, with a side trip to shop in Grove City.

wound up spending too much, eating too much (FATHEADS rules!) and drinking not enough. well, two out of three ain't bad, but the latter is generally considered an unreachable goal on even the best of days ... or nights. :thumbsup:

jw

Running qbs never work out. Wrong move for the Bills. But, it would be a typical one. For now I don't care who is qb, rb or wr. We should be concentrating on building the offensive line. But even when they do try to bolster the line they screw it up.

tell that to steve young, his superbowl ring and his bust in canton.

or maybe john elway?

tell that to steve young, his superbowl ring and his bust in canton.

or maybe john elway?

Both of those gentlemen were complete quarterbacks who also happened to be very good runners. Not sure that comparison applies to Vick.

I say sign him if possible. Buffalo needs to be a power running team. We get 2 starting RB's in Lynch and Jackson , a line with a somewhat bright future , and a pretty good set of possession receivers in Evans , Reed , and potentially Hardy/Johnson. Add Vick to the mix , with his undeniable playmaking abilities , and I believe this team would be well on path back to the playoffs.

Vick SINGLE HANDIDLY took ATL to the NFC title game. He had pretty much a very weak supporting cast. I can't think of one player on offense they had that year that is significantly contributing to a team this year. Insert Vick onto the Bills next year (minues Jauron and most likely TO) and the possibilities of a Vick-led offense running wild next year is very exciting.

More than any other player (and there are several) TE has been destroyed by DJ.

Bad luck for him.

No, TE cast his lot with DJ after last season and by playing DJ's style offense, it may end his chance to ever start after this season. Trent's a nice guy and not one to throw anyone under the bus, but it's time for him to man up and take some chances. Best case for him is he plays 2010 without a new deal and he fades into NFL oblivion.

If TE continues playing QB scared, he'll go down with a guy who has had 5 OC's in 9 NFL seasons as a HC. Like most Bills fans, I wanted TE to succeed and take this team to the playoffs. TE should have known better than to trust the offensively inept DJ as much as he did.

Guest dog14787
No, TE cast his lot with DJ after last season and by playing DJ's style offense, it may end his chance to ever start after this season. Trent's a nice guy and not one to throw anyone under the bus, but it's time for him to man up and take some chances. Best case for him is he plays 2010 without a new deal and he fades into NFL oblivion.

If TE continues playing QB scared, he'll go down with a guy who has had 5 OC's in 9 NFL seasons as a HC. Like most Bills fans, I wanted TE to succeed and take this team to the playoffs. TE should have known better than to trust the offensively inept DJ as much as he did.

Without proper management at the GM position this Buffalo Bills Football team never had a chance.

I think you have it backwards BillsVet. DJ cast his lot with TE. Jauron CHOSE Trent because he thought Trent would play the style of offense that Dick prefers, CONSERVATIVE, take no chances, play not to lose.

This thread is all over the place, but I'll try anyway;

I think the fact the players are beginning to "speak out" is nothing more than guys being asked uncomfortable questions. Let's face it, this group isn't really used to media attention (aside from the TO thing) so I'm fairly confident some of these guys are not going to "behave accordingly", as in Whitner. It's great that your team's players say what you've been thinking all along, but it does NOTHING for the locker room. It's counter productive, although I did like how Freddy responded.

You want to be positive about the guy they're asking about, while being sensitive to your teammates, and I thought Freddy did a good job of covering both. Donte..... not so much.

I want Vick in a Bills uni more than anything. I have only heard good things about his work ethic and desire to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. Having Dungy around as a mentor doesnt hurt either.

One thing I'm really starting to believe in besides mechanics and size and QB skill is can this guy win me a game?

Vick can and has in the past, give him a year to get his feet under him behind McNabb then let the Bills take him in. make him earn the starting role and Be our QB. I wanna see it happen and i really think he can and will help this team.

You trippin'

I say sign him if possible. Buffalo needs to be a power running team. We get 2 starting RB's in Lynch and Jackson , a line with a somewhat bright future , and a pretty good set of possession receivers in Evans , Reed , and potentially Hardy/Johnson. Add Vick to the mix , with his undeniable playmaking abilities , and I believe this team would be well on path back to the playoffs.

Vick SINGLE HANDIDLY took ATL to the NFC title game. He had pretty much a very weak supporting cast. I can't think of one player on offense they had that year that is significantly contributing to a team this year. Insert Vick onto the Bills next year (minues Jauron and most likely TO) and the possibilities of a Vick-led offense running wild next year is very exciting.

I agree with this. However, I would welcome Vick to the team, certainly not this year, but maybe next year.

Who knows maybe prison gave him a new focus in life to buckle down and get good at being an NFL QB. I would give him a chance and see what he can do.

I have to figure out a way to make money offa fools like these guys. If I could make some kind of bet that Vick will NEVER win 9 games in a season as a starting QB ( I really can't see him coming close, if he ever even gets a starting job), I would take it. Any ideas?

Or maybe I could start some Mike Vick website for his fans, so that somehow I can exploit these complete idiots.

Anybody wanna buy a bridge?

To answer your question ... doubtful, but we can always try. (Personally, signing Vick might just push me the last little bit into not renewing for next season, but I'm also not going to tell anyone else how to spend their money.)

To the point of the thread, should I take Whitner's and Jackson's comments as merely a thought that the Bills need to add some talent to get better -- try something, anyway -- or as a distinct vote of no confidence in Trent Edwards? They're related, but I'm not entirely sure they're the same thing.

Well Lori after the Browns game, how can the Defensive players have any faith that Trent can get it done?????....

I think they have to be saying to each other....damn we just don't have a QB right now that can take us to the playoffs.

Sad thing is that they are right.

Is Vick better than Trent or Fitz?? Maybe, maybe not but I wouldn't mind bring him in for 1 year to at least give Trent some competition.

jw

I think this question shows pretty much why you do not sign Vick if your interest is seeing this team, its fans, and the media concentrating on winning football games and making the playoffs rather than sideshows.

Vick has paid the debt that society asks him to pay through the penal system for breaking the law. However, his history is his history and cannot be eradicated (and likely not even ignored by the media which will happily fill up column inches in rags like the Buff Snooze and air at places like WGR so they can make nickels selling ads around this drivel.

The drivel I find entertaining and interesting is pro football. Unless someone out there has control over PETA, animal lovers or even conservatives who think that we treat criminals too easy and Vick deserves more time then simply forget about this team, its fans and the media concentrating on football.

Between this distraction, Vick being an imperfect player who has missed several years in his prime, and this team needing to hunker down and get the fundamentals of offense under control and not really devote time to the free-lancing and gadget plays which make Vick a singular talent this would simply almost certainly be a bad football move for the Bills.