Marv killing his legacy?

KOKBILLS

Used the search function and I was surprised there was not a lot more conversation about this...WGR has Marv's Interview (yesterday) Posted in their Audio Vault if you missed it...

So I was wondering...What damage Marv has done to his legacy in Buffalo over these past 4 years???...This interview had me fuming...I've always respected Marv...Always...But this interview yesterday made me sick...It really did...And if this is where Ralph is getting his advice, or the type of advice Ralph is getting from his inner circle, get ready for another decade of futility...Cause Marv is just about completely clueless at this point (actually, rediculously stubborn is probably more accurate), and most unfortunately He's basically ignoring the fact that MAJOR mistakes were made along the way...IMHO Marv is refusing to take ownership of the errors under his watch...And whether or not it's mostly his fault, or none of his fault, He's completely removed himself from the blame...

Lastly...Marv actually compared Jauron to Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher...He did...Listen to it...And He's FULL of excuses for Jauron dating back to the fact He did not have any true Home Games during the Stadium building in Chicago...Seriously Marv? And He compared Trent's situation to TB giving up on Steve Young, Atlanta giving up on Brett Favre, Pittsburg sticking with Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman having a 1-15 Season...Okey doke Marv... :P This is the guy we had making key decisions? And we wonder why we are where we are now?

PLEASE for the love of God keep Marv away from My Football Team from now on...:wallbash:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Used the search function and I was surprised there was not a lot more conversation about this...WGR has Marv's Interview (yesterday) Posted in their Audio Vault if you missed it..

Lastly...Marv actually compared Jauron to Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher...He did...Listen to it...And He's FULL of excuses for Jauron dating back to the fact He did not have any true Home Games during the Stadium building in Chicago...Seriously Marv? And He compared Trent's situation to TB giving up on Steve Young, Atlanta giving up on Brett Favre, Pittsburg sticking with Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman having a 1-15 Season...Okey doke Marv... :P This is the guy we had making key decisions? And we wonder why we are where we are now?

PLEASE for the love of God keep Marv away from My Football Team from now on...:wallbash:

I heard that and started to laugh.

But then again, I'm quite confident that Marv has a far superior understanding of football and of current personnel in the league than any of us do. I'm also quite certain that it is absolutely absurd for any of us to think otherwise. Perhaps Marv isn't the most competent man in the business, but you have to realize he is still vastly superior in knowledge of dynamics of football and in general football and personnel knowledge than any of us could possibly be, considering his CAREER in the league, his extensive contacts with people who actually get paid for their knowledge, and his extensive resources in terms of contacts with other teams, other personnel people, and just general league resources.

I love how people who work 9-5 at office depot somehow feel that their credentials and knowledge are superior to those of anybody in the NFL who gets paid for their opinions....it really boggles the mind that anyone could be so flagrantly ignorant.

I heard that and started to laugh.

Yeah, it sounds crazy. I dont know that the parallel holds true with those other QBs, but it is interesting that guys like Drew Brees looked GOD AWFUL for several years before it all clicked. Not sure how you can predict that, but it does happen.

Marv's legacy is that he took a team to 4 consecutive SB's, lost all 4 and made the Hall-of-Fame as a coach. I don't think anything he says at this point will hurt him as far as his legacy is concerned.

That's pretty much what I thought before He took the GM Job...But now...I'm not so sure...Not to say that any of his accomplishments would be diminished necessarily...But I do think He's tainted his reputation as a Football mind at the very least... :P

But then again, I'm quite confident that Marv has a far superior understanding of football and of current personnel in the league than any of us do. I'm also quite certain that it is absolutely absurd for any of us to think otherwise. Perhaps Marv isn't the most competent man in the business, but you have to realize he is still vastly superior in knowledge of dynamics of football and in general football and personnel knowledge than any of us could possibly be, considering his CAREER in the league, his extensive contacts with people who actually get paid for their knowledge, and his extensive resources in terms of contacts with other teams, other personnel people, and just general league resources.

I love how people who work 9-5 at office depot somehow feel that their credentials and knowledge are superior to those of anybody in the NFL who gets paid for their opinions....it really boggles the mind that anyone could be so flagrantly ignorant.

I disagree. Being a good X and O coach, and being a good leader on the field, doesnt necessarily make him a good personnel evaluator, and the proof is in the "talent" we got for the years he was "GM". All the contacts and resources mean squat if you dont apply common sense and honest assesment of the situation at hand when making these personnel decisions, whether its players or coaches. Its pretty clear to me that in this respect, Marv is out of touch.

Used the search function and I was surprised there was not a lot more conversation about this...WGR has Marv's Interview (yesterday) Posted in their Audio Vault if you missed it...

So I was wondering...What damage Marv has done to his legacy in Buffalo over these past 4 years???...This interview had me fuming...I've always respected Marv...Always...But this interview yesterday made me sick...It really did...And if this is where Ralph is getting his advice, or the type of advice Ralph is getting from his inner circle, get ready for another decade of futility...Cause Marv is just about completely clueless at this point (actually, rediculously stubborn is probably more accurate), and most unfortunately He's basically ignoring the fact that MAJOR mistakes were made along the way...IMHO Marv is refusing to take ownership of the errors under his watch...And whether or not it's mostly his fault, or none of his fault, He's completely removed himself from the blame...

Amen. Marv's legacy is not being killed, it is already trashed and dead. He was a complete disaster as GM, so horrible that the Bills would've better off keeping TD.

Marv's legacy is that he took a team to 4 consecutive SB's, lost all 4 and made the Hall-of-Fame as a coach. I don't think anything he says at this point will hurt him as far as his legacy is concerned.

Love Marv...but how many of those SBs would Parcells have won with that Bills team? Gibbs? Noll?

it was right there man, right there

When the coaching vacancy opened up after Mularkey stepped down, didn't Marv want to be the HC and Ralph thought he was too old?

If that is the case, then I think Marv may have been in over his head with the GM position. He never had any FO experience before and had been out of football for a while and the game, ever so slightly, had changed since his days coaching in the 90's.

It is too bad for Marv, and I think his legacy should remain intact, but it is no surprise that we are in the situation that we're in as a direct result of Marv's tenure here.

It just seems as though it was another of Ralph's marketing ploys in order to sell tickets. Which is pretty sad.

Lastly...Marv actually compared Jauron to Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher...He did...Listen to it...And He's FULL of excuses for Jauron dating back to the fact He did not have any true Home Games during the Stadium building in Chicago...Seriously Marv? And He compared Trent's situation to TB giving up on Steve Young, Atlanta giving up on Brett Favre, Pittsburg sticking with Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman having a 1-15 Season...Okey doke Marv... :wallbash: This is the guy we had making key decisions? And we wonder why we are where we are now?

It was painful to listen to - truly embarassing. He also said that for the Bills to get on the winning track, they need to ... focus on special teams.

His comparisons between Edwards and Aikman et al. were ridiculous - comparing a player's first season with Edwards' third season.

I can't believe he was the GM (although I - gulp - supported it at the time).

It was painful to listen to - truly embarassing. He also said that for the Bills to get on the winning track, they need to ... focus on special teams.

His comparisons between Edwards and Aikman et al. were ridiculous - comparing a player's first season with Edwards' third season.

I can't believe he was the GM (although I - gulp - supported it at the time).

I hate bashing people and we've all had a ton of respect for Marv for what he did with this franchise, but if this is really what he said, it's downright disturbing. Edwards may turn out to be Aikman, but it's not showing anytime soon.

None of us are GMs or qualified to be, but we can clearly see the results on the field are nothing like what other coaches and GMs are getting out of their players.

There needs to be a new culture with this team. Maybe it only starts if there is new ownership, but the culture needs to change organization-wide.

Lastly...Marv actually compared Jauron to Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher...He did...Listen to it...And He's FULL of excuses for Jauron dating back to the fact He did not have any true Home Games during the Stadium building in Chicago...Seriously Marv? And He compared Trent's situation to TB giving up on Steve Young, Atlanta giving up on Brett Favre, Pittsburg sticking with Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman having a 1-15 Season...Okey doke Marv... :wallbash: This is the guy we had making key decisions? And we wonder why we are where we are now?

It is honestly sickening. He is absolutely clueless and unwilling to take any blame for hurting this franchise with his coaching hire and his horrible free agent signings and questionable draft picks. (Ngata is one of the best DT's in the game. Whitner is an average player at best!)

Marv only went to 4 superbowls because he had hall of famers and all pros all over his team. If Jimmy Johnson or someone like Cowher had those players back then, we win 2-3 of those superbowls.

I hate bashing people and we've all had a ton of respect for Marv for what he did with this franchise, but if this is really what he said, it's downright disturbing. Edwards may turn out to be Aikman, but it's not showing anytime soon.

None of us are GMs or qualified to be, but we can clearly see the results on the field are nothing like what other coaches and GMs are getting out of their players.

There needs to be a new culture with this team. Maybe it only starts if there is new ownership, but the culture needs to change organization-wide.

Take a listen for yourself:

http://audio.wgr550.com/m/audio/26930318/m...tm?pageid=28472

You disagree with him. Fine.

He's not killing his legacy by saying stuff that disagrees with your opinions. Not even close.

Marv:

1.) Is a great man full of a lot of wisdom, knowledge of history, etc.

2.) Marv was a very good coach, but not great coach. He should have run one more play before that FG attempt IMO. He knew Norwood was not that good on grass. But in other ways he could have adjusted things, especially in the first SB game. Also, maybe more importantly the players should have feared him at least a little. For example Don Beebe made the point that the Bills lost the SB because Kelly, Thomas, etc. were partying all week at the SB. That should never have been allowed. Also, there was that ridiculous thing of Bruce Smith, during the SB week!!!!, making some fuss about some racist message he had received in Buffalo. Under Shula, Noll, etc. he would never have had the nerve to make such a stupid distraction.

3.) Marv at best, had modest success as a GM. By all reports RW did NOT want to hire DJ and was quite adamant about it but Marv finally talked him into it. On second thought Marv's tenure as GM was pretty bad. The DJ hire trumps anything else positive he did.

But what do you expect Marv to do at this point, say he shouldn't have hired DJ?