Marv killing his legacy?

KOKBILLS

Dear Marv,

Please stop making a fool out of yourself. Better to quietly slither away with everyone thinking you're a kindly but clueless old man who never should have been disturbed from convalescence to become GM to begin with. I uncomfortably pictured you rolling steel balls while listening to that interview, and was praying you weren't going to tell us how you have proof that someone stole the strawberries.

Sincerely,

Endzone Animal

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on Marv

Click if you care to read.

The key quote of my post was, "The absence of any recent "glory days" for this franchise drives many to continue to worship at Marv's feet. So be it. But for all those who think Marv built or facilitated the careers of Kelly, Smith, Thomas and Reed, I say that it was really the opposite that took place. When you look OBJECTIVELY at what Marv has wrought since his association ended with those players (and Bill Polian making the personnel decisions), the results are clear. Marv's credibility to speak on any topic related to the success of the Bills is nil."

I hate bashing people and we've all had a ton of respect for Marv for what he did with this franchise, but if this is really what he said, it's downright disturbing. Edwards may turn out to be Aikman, but it's not showing anytime soon.

None of us are GMs or qualified to be, but we can clearly see the results on the field are nothing like what other coaches and GMs are getting out of their players.

There needs to be a new culture with this team. Maybe it only starts if there is new ownership, but the culture needs to change organization-wide.

Aikman had a hall of fame cast on offense- we don't have a hall of famer on the team

Aikman had a hall of fame cast on offense- we don't have a hall of famer on the team

Beg to differ dude.

Aikman had 2 HOFers with him on offense: Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin. As far as I remember (and as far as I can tell from checking NFL.com and other sites), nobody from the o-line during those years, or any other offensive players have even been in contention for the hall.

By contrast: TO, whether you like him or not, is a sure-fire hall of famer with better career numbers than Irvin.

So it appears that the difference in hall-of-famers comes down to the RB position, which in today's NFL is one of the most inter-changable in the game.

In fairness, Howard Simon did press him with the questions without necessarily being a jerk when it became obvious that Marv would not take a negative view on Jauron or his offseason moves in '09. If there's a small positive, Levy admitted that he understands that fans are pissed, and deserve to be pissed.

It is honestly sickening. He is absolutely clueless and unwilling to take any blame for hurting this franchise with his coaching hire and his horrible free agent signings and questionable draft picks. (Ngata is one of the best DT's in the game. Whitner is an average player at best!)

Marv only went to 4 superbowls because he had hall of famers and all pros all over his team. If Jimmy Johnson or someone like Cowher had those players back then, we win 2-3 of those superbowls.

A "great" coach would have won a SB with the talent the Bills had during that stretch. Everyone says how "stacked" the Boys were. Well, the Bills were stacked also--as everyone here has argued for at least two or three more Bills from those teams belongs in the HOF.

To paraphrase TMQ--even SouthGeorgiaBillsFan could have coach to one SB win with that group.

Marv's legacy is that he took a team to 4 consecutive SB's, lost all 4 and made the Hall-of-Fame as a coach. I don't think anything he says at this point will hurt him as far as his legacy is concerned.

exactly and he had like 5 HALL OF FAMERS on that team! He is so overrated it's not funny. He was out coached for each Super Bowl as well.

It is honestly sickening. He is absolutely clueless and unwilling to take any blame for hurting this franchise with his coaching hire and his horrible free agent signings and questionable draft picks. (Ngata is one of the best DT's in the game. Whitner is an average player at best!)

Marv only went to 4 superbowls because he had hall of famers and all pros all over his team. If Jimmy Johnson or someone like Cowher had those players back then, we win 2-3 of those superbowls.

I'm so sick of hearing that Ngata is awesome and Whitner sux. If Ngata was on this team with the same coaching that McCargo has received over the past 4 years and Whitner were on the Ravens (being the second coming of Ed Reed), y'all would be screaming about the opposite.

This team lacks in fundamentals in all phases of the game. that boils down to coaching. It's not Whitner's fault that he's not better. He tries to be a team leader and has the right attitude, but he's not coached well enough, nor is he placed in a competent scheme where he can use his physical skills to be a dominant player.

Give it up on Ngata already . . .

To paraphrase TMQ--even SouthGeorgiaBillsFan could have coach to one SB win with that group.

And you would be wrong there. Any coach with the star studded team may have had the spectacularly surprising performance of '88, followed by the near collapse of the '89 Bickering Bills. But I would argue that very few coaches would take a team on the verge of a meltdown midway through '89 and turn them into 4-time SuperBowl performers.

In other words, highly unlikely this group makes it to a SuperBowl with any coach.

Marv is just loyal to a fault. He likes those guys and they haven't panned out. For a time it looked like the Edwards, Lynch Poz draft class would be one of the best in Bills history but now Edwards is a constant back up, although Poz and Lynch are still very good.

Things were much worse in terms of feelings about the team, 5 years of the TD era and the Bills needed something to

It all comes down to us needing a QB. When Marv took over JP looked like he may be the guy but then he was horrible, then TE looked promising and now he is horrible. And don't say it is coaching....I will believe it is coaching when those guys go on in the NFL to light it up with other teams.

I'm so sick of hearing that Ngata is awesome and Whitner sux. If Ngata was on this team with the same coaching that McCargo has received over the past 4 years and Whitner were on the Ravens (being the second coming of Ed Reed), y'all would be screaming about the opposite.

This team lacks in fundamentals in all phases of the game. that boils down to coaching. It's not Whitner's fault that he's not better. He tries to be a team leader and has the right attitude, but he's not coached well enough, nor is he placed in a competent scheme where he can use his physical skills to be a dominant player.

Give it up on Ngata already . . .

You cannot be serious. McCargo with the Ravens coaching and their scheme (even if they needed a 3 technique DT, which they don't use) would fail. Haloti Ngata is one of the league's best DT's, and he can play in a 4-3 or 3-4.

Coaching cannot inspire unmotivated players, and cannot make up for a lack of talent. McCargo can't get on the field in an average DT rotation, while Ngata is dominating.

Marv's coaching resume pales in comparison to his time as GM, or consensus-maker. Either way, he led an organization that failed twice on draft day 06, UFA 06-07, and his HC. That's why this team is in the doldrums.

But then again, I'm quite confident that Marv has a far superior understanding of football and of current personnel in the league than any of us do. I'm also quite certain that it is absolutely absurd for any of us to think otherwise. Perhaps Marv isn't the most competent man in the business, but you have to realize he is still vastly superior in knowledge of dynamics of football and in general football and personnel knowledge than any of us could possibly be, considering his CAREER in the league, his extensive contacts with people who actually get paid for their knowledge, and his extensive resources in terms of contacts with other teams, other personnel people, and just general league resources.

I love how people who work 9-5 at office depot somehow feel that their credentials and knowledge are superior to those of anybody in the NFL who gets paid for their opinions....it really boggles the mind that anyone could be so flagrantly ignorant.

INCORRECT

And you would be wrong there. Any coach with the star studded team may have had the spectacularly surprising performance of '88, followed by the near collapse of the '89 Bickering Bills. But I would argue that very few coaches would take a team on the verge of a meltdown midway through '89 and turn them into 4-time SuperBowl performers.

In other words, highly unlikely this group makes it to a SuperBowl with any coach.

You're saying that because a totally stacked team had a 9-7 record ("near collapse"??) and then went back to 11-13 wins a year, Marv was a miracle worker??

Really?---only Marv could have rescued that group of ne'er do wells and turn them into 4 time AFC Champs?

Nonsense.

You are right about Marv turning this awesome group of talented players into, simply, "SuperBowl performers". They performed the part of punching bag to the Cowboys two years running.

Beg to differ dude.

Aikman had 2 HOFers with him on offense: Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin. As far as I remember (and as far as I can tell from checking NFL.com and other sites), nobody from the o-line during those years, or any other offensive players have even been in contention for the hall.

By contrast: TO, whether you like him or not, is a sure-fire hall of famer with better career numbers than Irvin.

So it appears that the difference in hall-of-famers comes down to the RB position, which in today's NFL is one of the most inter-changable in the game.

You have to be kidding me...Dallas had the #1 defense in the NFL (allowing Aikman's offense more at bats) and the biggest concern of anyone facing Dallas was their incredible offensive line...easily the best in that era....

Both Aikman and Emmit Smith benefitted from that great line....both are very good,,,but when spoken of as top 5 all time in their positions...wayy wayy over rated....I'd take Kelly any day over Aikman

Nice job Mr Revisionist History.

It shouldn't be hard for you to dig up the stories of the 89 season to see exactly what was happening at the time. And yes, a 9-7 record for a stacked team that was one play away from a SB the year before is a near collapse, especially what was happening in the locker room and off field at the time. But hey don't let that get in the way.

If it was so easy to reach the SB with a stacked team, where were the Dolphins, Oilers, Raiders and Bengals in the 90s? Why were 49ers absent from the game in the early 90s?

Or could it be that Bills happened to play against better teams in the SB? You can laugh about being whipped by Cowpokes, but history now tells us that Jimma's team may have been one of the all time greats. The only team that was worse than Bills in SB were the Giants.