Marv killing his legacy?

KOKBILLS

But then again, I'm quite confident that Marv has a far superior understanding of football and of current personnel in the league than any of us do. I'm also quite certain that it is absolutely absurd for any of us to think otherwise. Perhaps Marv isn't the most competent man in the business, but you have to realize he is still vastly superior in knowledge of dynamics of football and in general football and personnel knowledge than any of us could possibly be, considering his CAREER in the league, his extensive contacts with people who actually get paid for their knowledge, and his extensive resources in terms of contacts with other teams, other personnel people, and just general league resources.

I love how people who work 9-5 at office depot somehow feel that their credentials and knowledge are superior to those of anybody in the NFL who gets paid for their opinions....it really boggles the mind that anyone could be so flagrantly ignorant.

You're going to get on here and tell people that they don't know anything about football when you are the author of the ridiculous post below? From your "theory" on how and why Tight Ends are used, it sounds like you'd have trouble explaining the No Huddle offense. Marv has no clue about personnel. No one needs to be reminded who he spent his first pick on when trying to rebuild this franchise. He was lucky enough to coach a team that was built by football's great architect. A team with multiple HOFers and Pro Bowlers and what did this genius do with it? At this point, he is trying to save face because he knows that he screwed up everytime he turns on a Bills game. So save your, "How dare you" BS and google football 101 because you sound like one of those 9 to 5ers who you're chastising.

(SouthGeorgiaBillsFan @ Oct 16 2009, 09:08 AM)

Any time a DB is covering a TE it is a mismatch. LB typically are assigned this duty because covering TEs is about size and not so much speed. That's actually why teams use a TE instead of all WRs as far as a pass receiving weapon - because they want to create that size based mismatch against the zone.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Edwards may turn out to be Aikman, but it's not showing anytime soon.

I don't think any of us are looking for HOF out of Edwards. Comparisons to Aikman or Bradshaw are so far off base, it does make Marv sound crazy. Frankly, we'd take a Chad Pennington or Jeff Garcia type performance right now. Nothing special other than 10-6 at the end of the year. Forget mulitple Super Bowls.

You're going to get on here and tell people that they don't know anything about football when you are the author of the ridiculous post below? From your "theory" on how and why Tight Ends are used, it sounds like you'd have trouble explaining the No Huddle offense. Marv has no clue about personnel. No one needs to be reminded who he spent his first pick on when trying to rebuild this franchise. He was lucky enough to coach a team that was built by football's great architect. A team with multiple HOFers and Pro Bowlers and what did this genius do with it? At this point, he is trying to save face because he knows that he screwed up everytime he turns on a Bills game. So save your, "How dare you" BS and google football 101 because you sound like one of those 9 to 5ers who you're chastising.

Marv's Legacy is taking the most explosive offense in the history of the NFL and dismantling it becuase it "Scored to Quickly and kept the defense on the field too long" It's not like the other team had 6 downs. IMHO Marv was overrated and was given the keys to a Ferrari by Bill Polian.

I heard Marv and coward Howard refused to call him on his statements. He waited until Marv had gone, then questioned his position. Sad little radio dorks.

Still, I think whoever says Marv knows a lot more about football than most people around here is correct. Marv's thesis is: Have patience. Unfortunately, to go ten years without the playoffs requires more patience than fans possess. That's where the disconnect is. Marv is Ralph's chief advisor, however, so expect the status quo for a long while. Remember:

Have patience!

But then again, I'm quite confident that Marv has a far superior understanding of football and of current personnel in the league than any of us do. I'm also quite certain that it is absolutely absurd for any of us to think otherwise. Perhaps Marv isn't the most competent man in the business, but you have to realize he is still vastly superior in knowledge of dynamics of football and in general football and personnel knowledge than any of us could possibly be, considering his CAREER in the league, his extensive contacts with people who actually get paid for their knowledge, and his extensive resources in terms of contacts with other teams, other personnel people, and just general league resources.

I love how people who work 9-5 at office depot somehow feel that their credentials and knowledge are superior to those of anybody in the NFL who gets paid for their opinions....it really boggles the mind that anyone could be so flagrantly ignorant.

Following that logic its impossible for a fan to point out erros made by any GM...like Matt Millen in Detroit for example..

There is a major reason why Marv stayed around and Polian did not. One is very good at understanding where his bread is buttered and will never argue with Mr Wilson whether Wilson is wrong or not...Polian at least had the integrity to state objections when the ownership made poor decisions that he felt hurt the team. Marv was always content to say yes sir its your team and cash his paycheck

3.) Marv at best, had modest success as a GM. By all reports RW did NOT want to hire DJ and was quite adamant about it but Marv finally talked him into it. On second thought Marv's tenure as GM was pretty bad. The DJ hire trumps anything else positive he did.

Just curious, but what were the positives you were thinking of initially? All I can think of are: 1) He was the anti-Donahoe and tried to change the "bunker mentality" into one of openness and involvement. 2) He was a good marketing move to bring back a familiar face from the successful past. 3) (cynically) He left the job quickly.

As far as re-building the team, he was a disaster as a GM. This team is amongst the 5-6 bottom feeders at this point. It takes no special skills to build a doormat.

PS: Did anybody catch the comment about being a "consultant"? Why would the Bills ask him to be a coaching consultant if the coaching was "just fine"? :wallbash:

the only person who should be worrying about his legacy is ralph. unfortunately i'm not sure he even knows what the word means anymore.

Ralph's legacy was written during the AFL-NFL merger and that is why he's in the HOF. He's not worried about his legacy now, especially considering the current state of the Buffalo Bills. He's laughing all the way to the bank, as are his heirs.

Marv is probably rationalizing that if Trent Edwards had a better O Line in front of him, he'd be like Aikman, Young, Favre, et al. :wallbash:

You disagree with him. Fine.

He's not killing his legacy by saying stuff that disagrees with your opinions. Not even close.

Interesting...

I did not ask if Marv's legacy would be damaged because I disagree with his opinion did I? Here was exactly what I wrote "So I was wondering...What damage Marv has done to his legacy in Buffalo over these past 4 years???" I then went on to talk about the interview and the manure spewed therein...But the question about his legacy was concerning what he helped build here based on the decisions he made as a GM...Not about My opinions...The question is about what Bills Fans will think of Levy overall now that this mess is upon us...Not about my opinion...Though I am entitled to My opinion as you are yours...And I'm not arrogant enough to think Marv's legacy would be effected by My opinion alone...I'm not an idiot...Regardless of what YOUR opinion is on that matter... :wallbash:...But I do think the majority of Bills Fans will agree that Marv's GM tenure did nothing to help his legacy in Buffalo...That's for certain...

And turning it around, is it not just your opinion that Marv's legacy will not be tarnished? See what I did there?

Thanks for coming... :wallbash:

well, I heard it too and it was tough to listen to, especially the part about the Bills being a "whisker" from winning that Cleveland game and having a better record (with the implication that the team is THAT close to turning it around)....

EVEN IF we beat Cleveland 9-6 in OT or something similar, it would be a JOKE of a win, given how this team played... The Browns looked like they were TRYING to lose for crying out loud!

Marv is just trying to put a positive spin on things because he fought so hard for Jauron to be hired.

Don't forget who picked the players on those Super Bowl teams: Polian. Once he left, this team's drafts went downhill and have stunk ever since. Meanwhile, the drafts of the Colts have been great. Coincidence? I think not.

Marv NEVER was a great evaluator of talent. He was a GOOD coach who did some great things in terms of managing egos and leading a great group of men on the field. One could argue his assistant coaching hires were not great, either.

Where is the Levy coaching tree? Where is the Levy legacy as GM? I'm not bashing the guy but people have to be realistic here.

Marv's comments should not surprise anyone here. He is a lot like Tony Dungy: great motivators, extremely intelligent men, but when it comes to nuts and bolts, there are many better.

perhaps..but he is not a good personnel guy......-I will forgive him the coaching comments because DJ is his friend--and I admire his loyalty.Whats he gonna do?? blast the guy?

perhaps..but he is not a good personnel guy......-I will forgive him the coaching comments because DJ is his friend--and I admire his loyalty.Whats he gonna do?? blast the guy?

He could admit that the ship is sinking and fast under Jauron's tenure. Marv was in the league before the days of true free agency. There are very few GM's who have figured out how to build teams that can win consistently in this era. However, a couple of key points are clear:

They have very solid coaching

They have managed to identify very good QB's

And generally they build very solid defenses that can "cover" for the weakneses of their offense

Indy is the one possible exception to this.

He could admit that the ship is sinking and fast under Jauron's tenure. Marv was in the league before the days of true free agency. There are very few GM's who have figured out how to build teams that can win consistently in this era. However, a couple of key points are clear:

They have very solid coaching

They have managed to identify very good QB's

And generally they build very solid defenses that can "cover" for the weakneses of their offense

Indy is the one possible exception to this.

true...and solid d = solid front 7

When the coaching vacancy opened up after Mularkey stepped down, didn't Marv want to be the HC and Ralph thought he was too old?

If that is the case, then I think Marv may have been in over his head with the GM position. He never had any FO experience before and had been out of football for a while and the game, ever so slightly, had changed since his days coaching in the 90's.

It is too bad for Marv, and I think his legacy should remain intact, but it is no surprise that we are in the situation that we're in as a direct result of Marv's tenure here.

It just seems as though it was another of Ralph's marketing ploys in order to sell tickets. Which is pretty sad.

Have a lot of admiration for Marv (always will) but I agree with all of this too.

He could admit that the ship is sinking and fast under Jauron's tenure.

Exactly...

Loyalty is admirable no question...But when it comes across as completely blind Folks are going to forget about what you're saying whether you mean it or not...Honesty and the willingness to take responsibility for what are CLEARLY mistakes are admirable traits as well...I'm not sure it's any more admirable in this case for Marv to stand by Jauron as it would be for him to admit it all fell apart and take his share of the blame...Honestly I felt that interview was an insult to the intelligence of many Bills Fans...Admirable? Maybe so...But ridiculous nonetheless...:wallbash:

Marv was set up to fail when he came aboard as quasi-GM. And he predictably did for a number of reasons. He and RW hired the wrong HC who convinced them to build this team with small players and inferior lineman. And they spent valuable resources chasing bad UFA's in 06-07.

At the same time, Marv's failures as a GM demonstrate beyond belief that Bill Polian had more to do with the glory years successes.

For the record, I did not expect him to admit his failures on WGR yesterday, but it's obvious he's in complete denial. Or he doesn't want to speak badly about his friend Wilson's team and lose whatever position he has with the team. He is not an impartial commentator on the sorry state of the Buffalo Bills.