Bills are not that far away

vincec

I know that things look bleak right now, but after thinking about a healthy Bills roster, I think that the Bills are one good draft and a new head coach away from turning things around.

On offense we have two good running backs, a good interior OL, solid WRs and a good TE prospect. We need to draft a LT obviously. Given our record we should be able to get a very good one. If Brad Butler comes back, we may only need one new starter. We will also need another WR to replace TO. I think the key on offense will be a new coach and system to help TE. He is regressing every week but I think that he can be salvaged. Frankly, he was probably getting better coaching at Stanford than with the Bills.

On defense we have a strong interior with good DTs and middle LB. We are deep at corner. We could use a bigger linebacker to play on the running downs and some future prospects at DE and DT but the rest is there.

So...

A new coach - the key.

LT (starter)

LB (starter)

WR (prospect)

DE (prospect)

DT (prospect)

We can do this next year.

I agree. What this team lacks is leadership from the HC. There is no such thing as re-building in the NFL any longer. The goal at the onset of EVERY season should be the Super Bowl -- not the Super Bowl in 4 year or the playoffs in 2 years, blah, blah, blah. EVERY YEAR the goal should be to win the Super Bowl. It that's not the goal, then just forfeit and stay home.

There *is* talent on this team, but there is no leadership.

I agree. What this team lacks is leadership from the HC. There is no such thing as re-building in the NFL any longer. The goal at the onset of EVERY season should be the Super Bowl -- not the Super Bowl in 4 year or the playoffs in 2 years, blah, blah, blah. EVERY YEAR the goal should be to win the Super Bowl. It that's not the goal, then just forfeit and stay home.

While I agree that the mindset of the HC is very important, it's hard to look at this team and think of it as a year off. I think it's too damaged by its own failures so far. I think we need a strong draft next year building through the o and d lines, and linebackers, and some moderate success, beat the teams we are supposed, i.e. Cleveland, and give some of the stronger teams a run and maybe steal one or two. The team needs to believe it can win close and/or big games before it will do so with any consistency.

how come all the fans and media see that so clearly yet the players keep kissing his ass?

Miami went from 1-15 to 11-5 in one year. It can be done.

With a new owner, a new coach, and the Tuna running the entire show. If you can get Parcells over here, I'd sign on with that optimism, other wise this team has spit in my face enough that I'm not particularly optimistic at this point.

Agree with your premise but.....

We had a Pro Bowl LT

Great ones don't grow on trees and it is no longer a given drafting the "best" lineman always works out. Even Joe Thomas is not playing that well this year.

We need two LB's ( I will not repeat all the arguements why Keith Ellison does not belong on an NFL roster) assuming Poz's glass arm heals and the Bills don't move Maybin to LB.

Too soon to give up on Maybin. DL is terribly difficult to make the jump to the NFL.

The Coach and Scouting staff need to be overhauled. This has been the source of all the problems since Bill Polian/John Bulter left. Do you see RW shelling out a ton of money for a top tier GM and Coach???

Nothing changes at the top so nothing changes.....

YEah, and just replace the HC is a really lame argument when Modrak and Guy have produced nothing during their 10 year tenure.

Oh, in case you couldn't read that, I said TEN year tenure. As in TEN.

Ten years of nothing. Futility. 1st round draft picks are often like a rush of adrenaline to a team. They can help to turn a franchise around. With all of the high picks of the past few years, who have they produced?

I will give the ok to Lee Evans and Marshawn Lynch. I like Eric Wood. I think Maybin will be a star. Maybe McElvin.

But they have also produced Mike Williams, Drew Bledsoe (trade), JP Losman, John McCargo, and Donte Whitner (jury is still out). They have collectively wasted more #1's than gained any benefits.

That isn't coaching.

Replace Modrak for his nothingness.

Guy has produced Robert Royal, Larry Triplett, was in the running for Darwin Walker (is he still even playing?), Derrick Dockery, and Langston Walker.

Stroud is a good pickup.

But who let Antoine Winfield and Pat Williams go? London Fletcher? Spikes was injured and Clements was way out of the market.

Guy should go as well.

So, until the Bills get real personnel men, it really does not matter who the coach is.

You missed the biggest problem by far....a new QB. If we had a QB we would be 4-1 and not even talking about this...captain check down is the biggest problem if you want to rank the problem list.

Missing WO receivers all day by overthrowing them or more often than not not throwing to them.

Show me a great team with a bad QB (very rare), show me a very bad team with a great QB....they do not exist. A great QB makes up for huge deficiencies elsewhere. We have very, very good skill positions and captain checkdown just will not get them the ball....and spare me the he doesn't have time agument. He has plenty of time on 90+% of plays and he just doesn't get it to them.

The partially good news is that we needed to find out if Trent was the QB of the future.....sadly we have the answer a resounding NO. The search continues for a 13th straight year

I'd agree that our players aren't as bad as they're playing. TO didn't suddenly forget how to run a route. We know Reed and Evans can catch the ball. Lynch and Jackson are more than capable backs. We have decent guards now. So, yeah, the entire offense doesn't need to be blown up.

I think we could say the same about the defense as well. They have a core group of guys that can play as well. Of course they all need to stay healthy!

What we're missing are the important pieces - Coaching, QB, LT, LB. I could easily see a quality coach coming in adding a few key players and changing this team around next season. Of course that all depends on the coach they bring in and what he does once he gets in.

In no way, do I think we'll get a good HC or make smart draft/FA decisions. But I think if we did they could turn this team around in one season, ala the fins. The fins are in not a great team. But, anyone watching the game right now should be able to see what a good HC/FO can do. They look worlds better than the Bills and are headed in the right direction.

If this season does anything, hopefully it keeps the fan base from reinvesting in the BS that gets shoveled their way! We have money we don't spend because of our "Cash to Cap" philosophy that could shore up skill positions. We could also afford better coaching, but we don't do it. We are trying to compete in the NFL with one arm tied behind our back and it is embarrassing.

I know that things look bleak right now, but after thinking about a healthy Bills roster, I think that the Bills are one good draft and a new head coach away from turning things around.

On offense we have two good running backs, a good interior OL, solid WRs and a good TE prospect. We need to draft a LT obviously. Given our record we should be able to get a very good one. If Brad Butler comes back, we may only need one new starter.

Butler cannot stay healthy, and because of that, is only as good as his back up. Time to start looking for Butler's replacement.

We will also need another WR to replace TO. I think the key on offense will be a new coach and system to help TE. He is regressing every week but I think that he can be salvaged. Frankly, he was probably getting better coaching at Stanford than with the Bills.

Edwards is done as a potential starter. Jauron has severely crippled Edwards' future. It would take a couple of years of proper coaching to undo the damage Jauron has done. As this point, Edwards still has a future as a back up.

On defense we have a strong interior with good DTs and middle LB. We are deep at corner. We could use a bigger linebacker to play on the running downs and some future prospects at DE and DT but the rest is there.

So...

A new coach - the key.

LT (starter)

LB (starter)

WR (prospect)

DE (prospect)

DT (prospect)

This team needs 2 tackles and at least 2 linebackers if not 3. The DEs are playing well this year but come on, they are not that good. QB is a huge hole not just at starter but backup. There is no fullback to speak of and frankly, I think a fullback is a nice position to have because it speaks to toughness. The best WR in 2010 will be Reed (Evans is a zero trick pony).

The O-Line has no chemistry.

This team needs a TON of help. Coaching and GM changes are the beginning. Even with a really good coach and a good draft, this is a 6 win team in 2010.

On offense we have two good running backs, a good interior OL, solid WRs and a good TE prospect. We need to draft a LT obviously. Given our record we should be able to get a very good one. If Brad Butler comes back, we may only need one new starter. We will also need another WR to replace TO. I think the key on offense will be a new coach and system to help TE. He is regressing every week but I think that he can be salvaged. Frankly, he was probably getting better coaching at Stanford than with the Bills.

So...

A new coach - the key.

LT (starter)

LB (starter)

WR (prospect)

DE (prospect)

DT (prospect)

Stop..after watching other NFL teams play the Bills could not compete in the Bcs.

Its similar to the Miami situation...

Cam Cameron went 1-15 with virtually the same team Tony Sparano won the division with the next year...

Miami went from 1-15 to 11-5 in one year. It can be done.

With Superbowl winner Bill Parcells as Prez of Football Operations and Jeff Ireland as General Manager....

The Bills? .... well, we have Marketing Whiz Kid Russ Brandon heading up the decision by committee approach.

Until we get our structure right, we will never be a winner.

Oh Bill Polian, if only you weren't run out of town......

So...

A new coach - the key.

LT (starter)

LB (starter)

WR (prospect)

DE (prospect)

DT (prospect)

I think you are being a little overly optimistic. We have "solid" (i.e. average to above average players), but we are way far off. While I'm not writing off Wood and Levitre by any means, its too early to say we are "set" with them. We need two new tackles. It's been long enough that the Bills have gone cheap on the oline. Evans is an above average WR, but beyond him he have nothing. Hardy was terrible last year and who knows if he comes back strong. Parrish is useless, and Reed is basically good for 5-10 yards and no more. I'm not sure why Steve Johnson doesn't get more time, but that's probably because of the inept coaching, scouting, and management. We need a reliable, possession receiver, to get 10 to 12 looks a game (which TO should be) to open up Evans and the rest. I like the fact that Nelson has gotten involved, but we'll see if is just another Kevin Everett, who was supposed to be an offensive TE and before the injury never showed anything.

The biggest problem on defense is lack of game changing playmakers. None of the front seven are close to being a game changer. Stroud and Schobel are above average, but you can toss the rest. Poz, if he stays healthy, I think will be a top 15 MLB in the NFL. He started off great in the NE game before he got hurt and that has been a huge hit on D. McKelvin is the lone playmaker on D, and based on future potential, maybe the Bills most valuable asset. Whitner is overpaid, and McGee is solid, but hardly a franchise player. We need a few stars, and obviously some f*cking depth.

I agree with your post for the most part. The interior oline could be good, and Im glad they finally addressed the oline early in the draft, but our tackles are terrible. We blow up the outside linebackers, offensive tackles, and overhaul the depth, and we are pointing up. But none of that matters without a new GM, coach, and coordinators to put it all together. Even more important is the QB. I don't think TE can be salvaged. He doesn't have the physical or mental toughness to be anything more then a game manager if his oline keeps defenders off him. I think we look hard at a 1st round QB within the next two years.

We're farther away than that. It's more than plugging in spots. The problem is we have a losing culture now, and it manifests itself in lack of focus (penalties), mistakes (lack of situational awareness) and a subconscious expectation that something bad is going to happen, it's just a matter of time. And voila, something does happen. Lately it has been our special teams that have nailed the coffin shut. Edwards' regression is on the coaching staff. The failure of our gameday tactics is on the coaching staff. Fumbles? I always put those on the players, but their lack of accountability? That's on the coaching staff.

Ralph shouldn't expect anything to change in his lifetime until he brings in somebody who knows how to turn around a football team, and quickly. The best, most proven person for this, with a 100% track record, is Bill Parcells. I hope he'd consider it - I understand his contract is flexible. But would Ralph pay? Well, he has been getting what he has paid for to date.

We're farther away than that. It's more than plugging in spots. The problem is we have a losing culture now, and it manifests itself in lack of focus (penalties), mistakes (lack of situational awareness) and a subconscious expectation that something bad is going to happen, it's just a matter of time. And voila, something does happen. Lately it has been our special teams that have nailed the coffin shut. Edwards' regression is on the coaching staff. The failure of our gameday tactics is on the coaching staff. Fumbles? I always put those on the players, but their lack of accountability? That's on the coaching staff.

Ralph shouldn't expect anything to change in his lifetime until he brings in somebody who knows how to turn around a football team, and quickly. The best, most proven person for this, with a 100% track record, is Bill Parcells. I hope he'd consider it - I understand his contract is flexible. But would Ralph pay? Well, he has been getting what he has paid for to date.

Jerry Sullivan was on WGR and he said the vibe he gets is that most of the players just don't care about being a Buffalo Bill or winning and care solely about collecting paychecks. That's on Jauron. With the greed rampant in the NFL, you need a coach who will get tough, not coddle these overpaid players.

Jerry Sullivan was on WGR and he said the vibe he gets is that most of the players just don't care about being a Buffalo Bill or winning and care solely about collecting paychecks. That's on Jauron. With the greed rampant in the NFL, you need a coach who will get tough, not coddle these overpaid players.

Pretty much. The 'leader' of the team announced that he wasn't a fan, he just punches the clock here. Pretty motivational stuff. :(

You missed the biggest problem by far....a new QB. If we had a QB we would be 4-1 and not even talking about this...captain check down is the biggest problem if you want to rank the problem list.

Missing WO receivers all day by overthrowing them or more often than not not throwing to them.

Show me a great team with a bad QB (very rare), show me a very bad team with a great QB....they do not exist. A great QB makes up for huge deficiencies elsewhere. We have very, very good skill positions and captain checkdown just will not get them the ball....and spare me the he doesn't have time agument. He has plenty of time on 90+% of plays and he just doesn't get it to them.

The partially good news is that we needed to find out if Trent was the QB of the future.....sadly we have the answer a resounding NO. The search continues for a 13th straight year

Ray, it will be interesting to see if the Bills' so-called braintrust believes Trent is worth investing in long term.

I suppose TE has a 4-yr deal, expiring after 2010 season. Will they sign him long term?

They do not see very well. Sort of Mister Magoo of the NFL.

As long as we're talking about how close the Bills are to being super bowl contenders next year, I say why be so pessimistic? Let's BILLIEVE that this year they can turn around the season, rally to win 11 games, and make a run for a Super Bowl victory!

Whoo-hooo!! Go Bills! I still BILLIEVE!! Waaahoooooo!!!! Let's Go Buffalo!! Bills make me wanna shout!!! Talkin' Proud, baby!! Yaaaaaahoooooo!!!!!

Oh, and could you please pass the crack pipe?

Most of the team has no idea how to win. We are going to have to make over a ton of this roster

That's an understatement...

When You have Players convinced Jauron has them on the right path to winning the jolt of reality figures to be a shock and a half for many...It all depends I guess...Plenty of them not worth keeping anyway... :(

I agree it can be turned around. Miami is for sure a great example. Denvers defense went from being swiss cheese to one of the best in one year. This team needs a disciplinarian who can install some motivation. Hopefully we will get a ream GM and Modrak is gone. I agree his record is luckluster. Buffalos search to replace Jim Kelly has been to invest (3) numbers ones, a 2, 3, 4, and 5th round draft choices to get Rob Johnson, Drew Bledoe, JP Losman and Trent Edwards. The Whitner over Ngata choice was just about inexcusable in my book.

This team has to have money to spend, especially if we get a good GM. Cut Parrish and his millions, cut Josh Reed and his millions, I think Steve Johnson can do what Reed does and more, only cheaper. TO will be gone theres another 7.5 million to spend. How much did we save getting rid of Walker, Dockery and Peters. Theres some more millions. If Maybin can bulk up you can get rid of Kelsay and his millions. If Byrd can play FS better than Whitner and cheaper then bye bye Donte. Never thought much of Whitner as SS. Maybe Ralph is saving money this year to eat Maurons final two years. But there is definetely money to spend to address a few of our needs in free agency next year.

Whoever we draft were not good enough to spend high picks on people who wont contribute. ala Maybin. Were not the Steelers where they can draft Ziggy Hood and not immeadiately need him. We need at least 2 impact starters from the draft. I dont care which need they fill but the 1 and 2 picks have to start and contribute.