4th-and-1 Revisited (Saints Game)

MRM33064

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes time for a critical non-delegatable decision to be made, I haven't seen any improvements in what DJ is doing this year relative to years past. I think he comes up will reasonable game plans / strategies heading into games. I haven't seen any ability on his part to make changes to his philosophy / strategy on the fly, presumably due to his overly conservative nature which is exhibited in almost every major decision he has to make.

I've said this for years. Dick should coach the team all week and get them ready for the game. Then on game day, hand over all gametime decision making like going for it on 4th, taking penalties, when to run fakes etc. to someone else. Bobby April maybe.

I thought the punt on 4th and 1 was the final nail in the coffin on this game. The D was dead tired, that was our last gasp to try and get some momentum. Just a horrible, weak, scared decision.

+1 Jauron must go. I'm tired of his pansy conservative ass. Play to win Dick ! And AVP pass the ball to TO more ! You have a HOF WR on the field and you dont throw to him?

Trent, look downfield sometimes !

Belichick went for 4th-and-1 at his own 24 in the third quarter. The drive ended with the TD that put them up 26-10 and basically killed the Falcons thought that they could win the game.

I don't think the BILLS were going to win even if they went for it on fourth and one but there was ZERO probability after that decision.

Belichick went for 4th-and-1 at his own 24 in the third quarter. The drive ended with the TD that put them up 26-10 and basically killed the Falcons thought that they could win the game.

I don't think the BILLS were going to win even if they went for it on fourth and one but there was ZERO probability after that decision.

I was watching the Pats*-Falcons game and the announcers made it a point to say, "it's a lot easier to make that decision when your name is Belichick." Still, you are exactly correct. When the Bills punted all of us knew the game was over.

I'll give Jauron a lot of credit for the early fake FG decision, but he's equally culpable for making that ridiculous decision late in the game -- particularly when he's supposedly "coaching for his job."

Maybe this is the wrong thread for this post, but all I can say is what a waste that was of a great defensive performance -- the game was SO freaking winnable.

Very frustrating.

Imho this is where we lost the game; Jauron should have gone for it no excuses. That would have send the message to the defense look guys we are doing all we can. Even if they would have failed to convert it, it would still have been a strong message to the Defense saying guys we gambled but we are trusting in you that you can keep the damage minimal. Afterwards he could have said at least we gave it our all; now the fans boo-ed and the D quit adn momentum was shifted towards NO who quickly capatilized.

It seems like the Belichick (and staff) mindset is usually focused on making the decision that maximizes his chance to win now (at the time the decision is made), as opposed to making the decision that might give us a chance to win the game later.

The odd part is that Jauron sticks to his ways as though they've served him incredibly well in the past.

It seems like the Belichick (and staff) mindset is usually focused on making the decision that maximizes his chance to win now (at the time the decision is made), as opposed to making the decision that might give us a chance to win the game later.

The odd part is that Jauron sticks to his ways as though they've served him incredibly well in the past.

thats why he needs to be fired NOW

4th and 1. TO and TE loudly speak with the "coach" at the side line. Then go back to the field with some guys of the offensive line and TE ask for a timeout, contrary to the "coach" decision.

A Bills players riot begin, none in the stadium completely understand what is going on here.

The "coach", for security reasons, move out.

Players still there, decide to finish the game, and they somehow manage to get a W.

Afterward The"coach" if fired, the Bills win the 1st (of a long streak) superbowl of their history without a coach (thanks to a desesperation play in week 15) and they set a standard in the NFL world : it's way better to play alone than with a mentaly affected coach.

Then Repulsif wakes up.

By the feel of the game, I thought they should have went for it. You could see your D was starting to tire and falter, and New Orleans was able to start really running the ball on us, but Jauron, since he has no "feel" for the game, let alone his own team decides to put the tired D on the field instead of trying to convert...

Exactly what I said to my son while watching this. If I can see the defense is physically and psychologically worn down, why can't he?? He's the gdamn coach paid to sense these things. Just a bad coach plain and simple.

We definately should have gone for it, but I don't think that is game changing decision.

Our offense was udder trash yesterday and I don't see us scoring even if we got the 1st down. I would say run an fake punt and let Mooreman throw the ball, atleast he can throw the ball further then 5 yards.

Anyone watching the game knew that it was imperative to keep our defense off the field. They had played great up to that point, but it was clear that they were wearing down. The thought of punting should not have even entered Jauron's mind.

By the way, I loved the Saints naked bootleg call on 4th and 1 a few minutes earlier. Talk about losing contain.