4th-and-1 Revisited (Saints Game)

MRM33064

I thought the punt on 4th and 1 was the final nail in the coffin on this game. The D was dead tired, that was our last gasp to try and get some momentum. Just a horrible, weak, scared decision.

I agree with you 100%. I cannot have stated it better.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game was over after Trent overthrew TO. It sucked the life out of the entire team.

no, i think running downfield hard every play and only getting 3 or 4 token looks is what sucks the life out of people. our wideouts are too good to be using them as decoys every week.

The defense had been phenomenal all day and the Bills OLine was too atrocious to rely on.

I'd have probably punted and played to get the ball back.

A poor punt by Moorman didn't help matters any.

Just proves that you're a little slow on the uptake Simon. Why Kick and play to get the ball back when YOU HAVE THE BALL and you are DOWN BY 10 POINTS? Pick up the yard and march! Terrible decision by a terrible coach and you are a fool for agreeing. I wonder how long this post will stay up before you sensor it. :huh:

I just don't get it. With 4 and 1 we punt and 4 and miles we go for it?? When are the bills going to start using Evans and Owens to win a game? These two are great players but the bills do not incorporate them into the offensive strategy, then why bring in Owens. The defense played out of their minds but you can't expect them to win the game.

More shots downfield - i would rather see an interception going for broke then a game like this. Doesn't DJ realize if he doesn't produce he will be gone....what does he have to lose.

I hope a reporter asks him his thought process on the 4 and 1 and the 4 and 28.

C'mon Bills - we are much better than this.

Let's see 4th and 1 with 8 miunutes something to go, in your side of the field, don't go for it. You see we wanted to reserve that gutsy call for a little later, when we were further in the hole. Then we could get the chance to really show how good we are when we go for it on 4th and 23. Pathetic...

Just proves that you're a little slow on the uptake Simon. Why Kick and play to get the ball back when YOU HAVE THE BALL and you are DOWN BY 10 POINTS? Pick up the yard and march! Terrible decision by a terrible coach and you are a fool for agreeing. I wonder how long this post will stay up before you sensor it. :huh:

As awful as the OLine was for much of the day and as indecisive as Trent looked, I wouldn't have trusted them to be able to pick up a yard there.

And as fantastic as the defense had been, I'd probably have felt more comfortable having them be more of a deciding factor in the outcome. They did have them in 3rd long right off the bat but couldn't hold.

And thanks for all the personal stuff. :wallbash:

Jauron has coached the team a lot better in the first two games of the season than in the past. It shows that he really is adapting and learning which is great. But today with the punting call... what a bone head move... I cannot fathom his logic on that one. Maybe he's learning slower than I thought. I've always wished DJ the best and have wanted him to succeed. But honestly, what kind of call was that??? *wonders what the players are thinking of this in the locker room right now*

As awful as the OLine was for much of the day and as indecisive as Trent looked, I wouldn't have trusted them to be able to pick up a yard there.

And as fantastic as the defense had been, I'd probably have felt more comfortable having them be more of a deciding factor in the outcome. They did have them in 3rd long right off the bat but couldn't hold.

And thanks for all the personal stuff. :huh:

IF you don't trust the O-line to pick up 1 yard, why the hell would you trust them to pick up the next 150 yards needed to score two times in the final 4 minutes when we got the ball back again?

And a FG for NO doesn't kill you there, you're still down by two scores. If you trust your defense to get the job done from midfield, let them get the job done from the 28 yard line as well.

Jauron has coached the team a lot better in the first two games of the season than in the past. It shows that he really is adapting and learning which is great. But today with the punting call... what a bone head move... I cannot fathom his logic on that one. Maybe he's learning slower than I thought. I've always wished DJ the best and have wanted him to succeed. But honestly, what kind of call was that??? *wonders what the players are thinking of this in the locker room right now*

Do you ever wonder if Jauron is watching the film on what he is doing? He can't keep drinking his own Kool-Aid and thinking his game decisions are correct. I fully support unleashing TO on DJ, maybe that will light a fire under him.

AVP - what would Jim Kelly do? Go for it and be aggressive.

Most gutless call I can remember in recent history. What makes it more mind-boggling is that Dick has to know people are just looking (begging) for him to go for it in that situation and he still doesn't - he would have been completely forgiven if they go for it and don't make it - for him to not be swayed or have a clue of the fan population - even if he is deep down thinking in his own crazy mind it is the right thing to do, but not be swayed by circumstance - to be so far removed from the pulse of popular opinion (even if just for the sake of self-preservation) is absolutely scary.

Last week's 4th-and-1 thread was pretty active - this one has just a wee bit potential as well.

The situation: 4-and-1, down by 10, less than 8 mins to go, ball on own 28.

Thoughts?

DJ has no balls. Almost every other coach would have gone for it

Do you ever wonder if Jauron is watching the film on what he is doing? He can't keep drinking his own Kool-Aid and thinking his game decisions are correct. I fully support unleashing TO on DJ, maybe that will light a fire under him.

AVP - what would Jim Kelly do? Go for it and be aggressive.

As a former coach and player...i wouldn't think of condoning a player (TO) to unleash his sentiments on this game and the coaching. But really, what else would it take to open some eyes? We fans weren't even in the game and we know how bad of a call that punt was. What do you think the players are thinking? They are not stupid. Most of them probably agree with the majority of us. They know we should have gone for it. I am not gonna tear DJ down cause i'm not like that. But he really really Needs to WAKE UP! *the most frustrated Bills fan in Cali ever at the moment*

IF you don't trust the O-line to pick up 1 yard, why the hell would you trust them to pick up the next 150 yards needed to score two times in the final 4 minutes when we got the ball back again?

And a FG for NO doesn't kill you there, you're still down by two scores. If you trust your defense to get the job done from midfield, let them get the job done from the 28 yard line as well.

Well stated.

Because they have more than 1 play to do it?

And it's a ridiculous question anyways. You can also say "why should I trust them to pick up another 70 yrds if they convert the 4th down?"

Not to mention that if they get the stop on 3rd/long they get it back with over 6 minutes left.

If you trust your defense to get the job done from midfield, let them get the job done from the 28 yard line as well.

It wasn't midfield; a decent Moorman punt puts them back around their own 30 and another 3/out from the defense gets the Bills offense the ball back in the same area; and with only a couple minutes gone and still just needing a FG and only 1 trip to the endzone.

And if the defense does manage toget the job done from the 28, they're still going to be going down by 2 full TD's.

Both ways have their pluses and minuses but calling for Jauron's head for that reason when there's so many others to choose from strikes me as unnecessary.

It is difficult to think how Jauron (or whoever is making the decision) looks at that situation and thinks that he is maximizing our chance to win the game by punting.

By punting, we voluntarily concede two of the metrics we need the most - time and possession - absent a fumble on the punt reception.

Even had we failed on 4th-and-1 (an unlikely event if you buy into historical data), the defense would've still had the opportunity to hold NO to a FG, keeping it a 2 score game.

Really?

What has HE done that you think was better than in the past? AVP seems to be calling plays much better than Shonert did; it'll be interesting to see if he still looks better when people start to learn his tendencies. I'll agree that getting rid of Shonert was a good move, I won't agree that making that move 10 days before the season was even remotely ideal.

Dick still seems to go extremely conservative when the 4th quarter rolls around, and the team doesn't seem to adjust well after the half.

I don't expect to see him gone until probably after next season, but I'd love to see him get canned at the bye week.

As for the topic of this thread, I think the odds were greater that the team would get stuffed on 4th down than make it (I'd have expected ~40% chance of picking up the 1st), but I still would have preferred to see the Bills go for it there because they needed 2 scores (minimum) at that point and if they punted in a (realistic) best case scenario they'd have the ball back in the same spot 1-2 minutes later. Pick up the 1st down and maybe you get some momentum behind you. Punt it away and you are going for the slow death. Fail to pick up the 1st and it's a quick death, but at that point I'd have risked the 60% chance of the quick death for the near certainty that the punt would end with the same result.