A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

I've never seen a team play worse than the Bucs did today. The low margin of victory is not a good sign of things to come.

This is the most exaggerated statement I've ever read about anything anywhere.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We could still REALLY use a better pass rush. Our backs and LBs are NOT going to get a whole lot better in coverage, and we're gonna end the season FAR from the top of the league in pass defense, and give up FAR too many big plays, until we can get into the backfield quicker CONSISTENTLY. I'm torn between wanting to see what we can do with a Marshawn/Freddie two-back set and wanting to see what kind of pass rusher we can nab in a trade for a quality RB like Marshawn.

Kudos to Fewell for calling an aggressive game. Even late he was bringing the heat and Tampa was unable to stop the blitz.

I believe Kelsay was bringing on the heat constantly....I don't ever remember a 2-game stretch where Kelsay has played outstanding.

coupled with a Patriots loss :rolleyes:

It almost makes me physically sick to think we should be 2-0 and the Pats* an exposed 0-2 - with a real potential that their season would have been in jeapordy if that had happened, with the way they are playing IMO

I actually missed the first couple of minutes of the Bills game because I was so engrossed in watching the Jets hand it to the Pats*. The Pats*/Jets game ended just as Parrish threw the home run throwback to Yobouty.

The Pats* are looking very, very ordinary. I repeat this - the Pats* are looking very, very ordinary. The victory over the Bills will be looked upon as being VERY lucky...not very GOOD. I think I'm going to pop into a few Pats* message boards this week to watch the feeding frenzy. Mark my words - very, very ordinary. The dynasty's done. The Bills and Jets are on the way up. The Pats*...

Trent checked into it when he realized the Bucs were crowding the LOS and he had singles outside. When he was whacking the back of his heel before the snap he was telling both Evans and Owens to run the 9 and be ready because he was going up top.

Picked the perfect down to call it on too because they still could have gone for it on 4th even if they didn't connect. Big thumbs up to Trent for the recognition.

I noticed that he changed it when he saw the safety's creeping up too, and was hoping that he'd go uptop with it. What a perfect pass and a great catch by Evans.

The thing that stuck out to me the whole game is how bad Leftwich was. I've watched him a few times, but I've never seen throws like some of those yesterday. He was 10+ yds away on a handful of throws. Some of that may have been the receivers fault or a lack of chemistry, but it sure made me thankful that we've got a QB like Trent, who will at least hit the checkdown rather than end up one hopping it to the receiver's feet.

Just finished watching the game on the NFL replay thing (which I love)...

This game wasn't nearly as close as the score indicated. Leftwich hit a few nice passes (his arm seems much more lively this year) for decent-sized gains, but the Bills basically dominated this one. I'm not sure that's saying a lot, cause TB isn't a very good football team right now...but it got us on the right track and allowed us to exorcise some demons from last week.

I thought it was great to see the way the fans treated Leodis. I just wish he hadn't gotten injured. That makes me very nervous :rolleyes:

It was great to see TO make some plays, but he needs to quit dropping passes. I know he's got a rep for that, but he's dropped a few pretty crucial balls in the first two weeks.

If we draft another corner next season, I'm gonna kick dick in his balls. We need to continue finding talent for our front 7 on defense. I'm glad we have eighteen other DBs ready to come in when Leodis, or whoever else, goes down....but just as we're seeing near immediate improvement to the interior of our Oline, we need to do the same with our defensive front 7.

Aside from his floater, Trent played really well. I still wish he'd anticipate his receivers breaks just a bit more, but it's nice to see him take some shots down field.

I'm becoming surprisingly comfortable with Freddy back there. I'm not in favor of demoting Marshawn, but I am definitely in favor of them splitting time more equally. I don't think I ever realized how good Freddy's vision was. That's one question mark for Marshawn, though I suspect if Marshawn would learn to be just a bit more patient his vision would be more of an asset to him. But Freddy is the real deal...I'm thrilled we signed him to an extension.

Kudos to the Oline....it's really nice seeing Trent have a pocket to utilize.

We can do better, but not a bad effort today. Next week is the real test.

Just finished watching the game on the NFL replay thing (which I love)...

I am also loving it - re-watching the game now - hoping to watch the Pats* loss tonight :rolleyes:

I'm becoming surprisingly comfortable with Freddy back there. I'm not in favor of demoting Marshawn, but I am definitely in favor of them splitting time more equally. I don't think I ever realized how good Freddy's vision was. That's one question mark for Marshawn, though I suspect if Marshawn would learn to be just a bit more patient his vision would be more of an asset to him. But Freddy is the real deal...I'm thrilled we signed him to an extension.

Jackson has been amazingly impressive. I think he is fitting right into what the Bills want to do on offense with more quick hitting plays and pulls/sweeps/screens utiling mobile linemen.

The best part of Fred's playing in my mind is that it should be lighting a fire under Lynch to be working hard during the suspension and come back prepared - Freddie's reallly pushing him

Kudos to the Oline....it's really nice seeing Trent have a pocket to utilize.

It's nice to see an agressive OL w/ some attitude

We can do better

That is also key to me. Watching this team now you just get the feeling they will only get better as the season goes on - so many aspects you can already see the improvement and potential to get even better

I believe Kelsay was bringing on the heat constantly....I don't ever remember a 2-game stretch where Kelsay has played outstanding.

major props to the pass rush unit, D-ends, D-tackles and the LBs.. i don;t care if the Bucs sack or have a bad O-line, Fewell did not let up right till the end which is the way to do it!

in the 4th qtr Kawika smelled blood, he spent more time on their side of the LOS than ours!!

for all the critics who think we shouldn't revel in beating a bad team.. i say we should pat ourselves in the back for a dominating performance. excellent morale booster this before the Saints game.

does anyone think we are using Freddy too much? it just seems like we are overworking him...i hope I am wrong....

TO's 'tweet' from last nite was pretty funny

terrellowensMan ws the Ralph rockin 2day!! Cn't wait til next!! Gonna b a good 1! Lovin trent more & more!! Watchin nfl primetime!

My biggest worry is, especially with NO coming to town next week, we have the 8th ranked rushing D, and the 32nd ranked passing D....by yardage, of course. But, if we can keep the points off the board, they can rack up 1000 passing yards for all I care.

All the investment in the secondary in the draft the last three years and carrying 12 DBs has really paid off, no? :rolleyes:B-)

We have a dude who's a zero at WLB to go along with zero depth left. Buggs didn't look bad. But If we have another LB injury, it isn't going to be pretty.

TE was hit a lot after his throws today it seemed to me. I don't think it was all Bell's fault but he was abused.

He also made some scrambling decisions that, with his history, were inadvisable. Referencing particularly the one where he decided to slide down headfirst and got popped. Was rolling his forehead back and forth on the ground while wincing that brought shades of Arizona.

Besides that, much progression from TE shown yesterday wrt silencing the Captain Checkdown people for a week.... Some nice throws deep to Evans and TO on the TDs, and several passes that were spot-perfect but dropped (the big TO drop was the start of a huge momentum shift in the 2nd). The tentative play after halftime is concerning... don't know if that was more on AVP's calls or a bit of TE tentativeness.

Regardless, it's a continuing issue of not making good halftime adjustments. They recovered, but that leads into the next point gmac makes....

that's what scares me the most. I liked what I saw today, but we beat a bad team who kept killing themselves time and time again.

Yep. Nice showing today. But what does it mean to beat this year's TB team? Before we all get giddy, it might be prudent to remember last season when we thought we were world-beaters after Seattle, eking past the Raiders and Jags, and the Rams. People, when we win against good teams, then we'll know. So far, this is typical Jauron-ball --- getting wins against teams who beat themselves.

that's what scares me the most. I liked what I saw today, but we beat a bad team who kept killing themselves time and time again.

I agree Tampa did hurt themselves a lot....BUT I think much of that was the Bills playing an all out attack defense! I cannot remember the last time they blitzed that often.

The Bills came out fired up for this game and while the offense seemed to get a bit sluggish in the 2nd and 3rd quarters the defense seemed to keep the pace up for the entire game.

What about the play of Reggie Corner when he stepped in for McKelvin?

He did a wonderful job, and Magee played very well.

As I said, lining up Whitner closer to scrimage made a very big difference. He was up close when he made the pick/td. Many of us have been scratching our heads for years as to why a guy would be drafted at #8, and lined up 40 yards deep. It never made sense.

I had concerns at the end of the 2nd quarter and the beginning of the 3rd. The lethargic personality of Jauron seemed to surface, but the players didn't quit, so that is the good news.

If you carefully watch the replay, the defender has his hand on the ball as Lee is catching it and knocks it away. It was not a drop by Lee, it was incredible defense. I watched the game on a 100" HD projector and you can see the defenders hand knock the ball away as Lee is getting his hands around the outside of the ball.

I agree with the rest of the original post and the others in this thread except for the Evans drop. Yes, the defender had a hand in there but Evans had both hands on it above the defender. A number 1 NFL receiver HAS to make that catch. Edwards threw 4 nice deep balls to the wide outs that game and two of them were dropped. It was very nice to see Edwards comfortable going deep.

1) The Bills player who played the best today was Donte Whitner. Please take note that he made his best plays when he wasn't lined up A MILE FROM SCRIMAGE.

2) I'm not going to blame Evans for not catching the TD pass in the 2nd quarter. Normally I would, but this time the coverage was perfect.

3) Are you people watching Levitre? Seriouisly, he is playing like a seasoned vet. What a great freaking draft pick! Wood is a monster too. This my friends is how to build a football team.

4) Looking a the way we finished out the closing seconds of the first half, I am thinking that Jauron should hang himself. Of course, I don't mean this in the literal sense.

5) What does one say about TO? I don't think anybody in the history of the Bills ever could get open like him. Still, those drops are painful. In this sense, he is a perfect fit. :rolleyes:

6) I would like to know who called the TD pass to Evans. I am hoping it was Trent. Even his biggest critics would probably admit that Trent is very smart. I hope he called the play because that would seem to indicate that we might have something special. That said, he got his ass kicked today in terms of taking hits.

7) I still do NOT think Bell is ready and would rather see Chambers in there.

8) Speaking of OTs, the Butler injury sucked. The guy always seems to be hurt. We cannot have a complete team until the OT position is improved.

9) Way to go to Kyle Williams. He made some key plays. B-)

10) More kudos to Whitner! His 3rd quarter stop was freaking HUGE!!! Once again, he was playing CLOSE TO SCRIMAGE!!!! He needs to be around the football.

11) My best wishes to all at the tailgate. I was there in spirit.

12) There are few things in life as good as a Bills win.

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill,

Your post is the first post I always look for here after a Bills game. Always interesting points and inciteful comments. Love #12!! GO BILLS :thumbsup: