Well this certainly changes things

"Sources close to the team tell me there's a growing belief among some coaches on Dick Jauron's staff that Demetrius Bell should be the left tackle when the regular season opens Sept. 14 against the New England Patriots."

Sigh, oh the implications...

Commence, TSW

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured this was happening at some point....Walker goes to the bench. Butler is too valuable.

I'm all for Bell at LT and Langston back to the right side. Then the question is do we replace one of the rookie guards with Butler?

Yes, Butler replaces Levitre, and ultimately (but probably not soon) Levitre replaces Handy and we line up: Bell, Levitre, Wood, Butler, Walker, in a perfect world.

Not since it became obvious from his play that this diamond in the rough is at least a couple of years away from being starter quality (if ever).

...but this experts opinion says different?? Who am I to believe?

you have to look at this as positive. We'd have a young line that is going to just get better and better over time. Not this year but in a few they could be dominant. The two weak spots on the line are at the tackles. Draft a top end right tackle next year and this line is set for a long time.

Right now keep the changes to a minimum. Bell. Levitre. Hangartner. Wood. Butler.

It's never a good feeling when the fans seem to grasp things quicker than the coaching staff.

Especially since it happens so consistently with this staff. Jackson and Greer stand out in that regard, and we'll soon be adding Nic Harris to the list, unless they come to their senses soon.

My guess is that neither Bell nor Harris will be starters until Jauron is absolutely forced to make a change by injury. Dick never changes his spots.

Sigh, oh the implications...

Commence, TSW

I will believe it when I see it. But it would at least reduce the number of gambles we are taking on the line. Right now we have 5: Walker at a new position, 2 rookies, Butler at a new position and a new Center. This could get Levitre off the field and Both Butler and Walker back to the positions they know. So you end up with 3 gambles: The new center, rookie Wood starting and Bell at LT. It may come down to who scares the coaches more if they have to start them, Levitre or Bell? Will that be hemlock or cyanide?

Couldn't help but notice Bell played LT in GB for a series or two. Thing is, if he becomes the starter and displaces other players, how much does that speak of the front office for saying LW would be the starting LT? Makes me wonder who's judging the roster from the front office, especially considering they figured LW would be the starter and now that could be changing.

Couldn't help but notice Bell played LT in GB for a series or two. Thing is, if he becomes the starter and displaces other players, how much does that speak of the front office for saying LW would be the starting LT? Makes me wonder who's judging the roster from the front office, especially considering they figured LW would be the starter and now that could be changing.

Depends how you look at it, doesn't it? If they start Bell because they're impressed with his progress, then that's a plus. On the other hand, if they're saying Walker can't cut it and this is a desperation move to find anyone who can man that spot, then yeah, it doesn't reflect well on them.

I don't think anyone, from the FO to Walker himself, ever saw him starting at LT as anything but a stopgap.

Those that are saying we should play Butler at RT and put Walker on the bench, I really can't see that happening. Walker has been a solid player at tackle and Butler really excelled at guard last year, to the extent that we were actually able to run the ball when we had him healthy late in the season.

The consensus is correct, I think; if this does happen, Walker returns to RT, Butler returns to Guard, and Levitre sits until he's ready to replace Hangy (moving Wood to Center).

Long-term (opening day 2010, perhaps), we line up LT Bell, LG Levitre, C Wood, RG Butler, RT Walker, as others have said. This line is actually starting to look halfway decent.

It's been my opinion that Bell has the most upside at LT - Bell is very good against speed and quickness and has some trouble against power- which is why I think he fits better at LT than RT- right now I think the best lineup would be

Bell, Butler, Hangartner, Wood, Walker

I'm all for Bell at LT and Langston back to the right side. Then the question is do we replace one of the rookie guards with Butler?

well if thats the case we can always put wood back at center..... BELL LEVITRE WOOD BUTLER WALKER

If Hangarten keeps getting blown up like what Raji did to him, he's the guy grabbing some bench.

Could be, I've never really understood picking up Hangarten, I thought the main reason for the change was to get guys who could handle the huge NTs and DTs that gave this team such problems last year- I thought Jason Brown, and Chris Kemoeatu

fit the Bill much better.

Depends how you look at it, doesn't it? If they start Bell because they're impressed with his progress, then that's a plus. On the other hand, if they're saying Walker can't cut it and this is a desperation move to find anyone who can man that spot, then yeah, it doesn't reflect well on them.

I don't think anyone, from the FO to Walker himself, ever saw him starting at LT as anything but a stopgap.

Bingo. I don't know whether Bell is ready, but I do know that I've seen some ugly plays from Walker so far this preseason.

Also, since it doesn't appear anyone has provided the link yet ...

Bell evolving into Bills' left tackle of choice

Yes, Butler replaces Levitre, and ultimately (but probably not soon) Levitre replaces Handy and we line up: Bell, Levitre, Wood, Butler, Walker, in a perfect world.

If Levitre is going to be back in the starting line up, I don't understand why remove him from the lineup in the first place...Why not just go ahead and move Hangatner to LG and move Butler back to RG...That way at least when Levitre gets his starting jig, then Hangatner goes to the bench...

However all these don't make sense...One must give Hangatner the chance to start as the Center before pulling the plug. They have spent the entire off season with this line up and it would be foolhardy to play with this.....

If bell is better than Walker, then Walker just goes to the Bench.......Period....Don't mess up with the continuity on the line again...

well if thats the case we can always put wood back at center..... BELL LEVITRE WOOD BUTLER WALKER

I doubt they go with with this combination now ... however it sounds promising. Likely to be the siituation once Wood gets some experience under his big belt.

It's been my opinion that Bell has the most upside at LT - Bell is very good against speed and quickness and has some trouble against power- which is why I think he fits better at LT than RT- right now I think the best lineup would be

Bell, Butler, Hangartner, Wood, Walker

Agree. First of all if Bell comes in Walker goes back to RT where he has played well in the past. No way Butler beats out Walker at RT. Butler coming back to guard makes the most sense. The only problem is that Butler played RG and now Wood is entrenched there already. So if Butler could play LG that would work out best and Levitre sits for awhile. And no way does Hangartner go to the bench. They really like his high IQ and they need someone experienced and sharp at C, especially with all the the new faces in the OL and trying to run the no huddle to boot.

my bad ... but yes what you said .... Cornell minds think alike

Talk to Sagey, he's the Big Red Bear (I think). I'm a BUCKnell Bison, although my gf does go to Ithaca for graduate school!

Never fear, there's plenty of echoes here:

:wallbash:

That's a lot of transition in four months. Potentially, Walker goes from RT to LT and back to RT. Butler from RG to RT and back. Bell becomes a starter and Wood from RG to LG.

Sure this is speculation, but an OL cannot be forged by repeatedly shifting players to new positions. Granted these guys are bright, but asking them to move so often is not conducive to success. This line is still in transition.

That's a lot of transition in four months. Potentially, Walker goes from RT to LT and back to RT. Butler from RG to RT and back. Bell becomes a starter and Wood from RG to LG.

Sure this is speculation, but an OL cannot be forged by repeatedly shifting players to new positions. Granted these guys are bright, but asking them to move so often is not conducive to success. This line is still in transition.

At the same time, Walker is out of place on the left side. Coaches are paid to make tough decisions and to put the best players on the field. Sounds like if Bell did not tweak his back he would be playing LT against the Stillers.

Makes you wonder what they would have if they had started out the offseason Bell, Wood, Hangartner, Butler, Walker. Spilled milk but under that scenario only half your line is in flux and your C-RT are very experienced. Wood will learn to hold his own as so far he appears to be a beast.

If Levitre is going to be back in the starting line up, I don't understand why remove him from the lineup in the first place...Why not just go ahead and move Hangatner to LG and move Butler back to RG...That way at least when Levitre gets his starting jig, then Hangatner goes to the bench...

However all these don't make sense...One must give Hangatner the chance to start as the Center before pulling the plug. They have spent the entire off season with this line up and it would be foolhardy to play with this.....

If bell is better than Walker, then Walker just goes to the Bench.......Period....Don't mess up with the continuity on the line again...

Agree. First of all if Bell comes in Walker goes back to RT where he has played well in the past. No way Butler beats out Walker at RT. Butler coming back to guard makes the most sense. The only problem is that Butler played RG and now Wood is entrenched there already. So if Butler could play LG that would work out best and Levitre sits for awhile. And no way does Hangartner go to the bench. They really like his high IQ and they need someone experienced and sharp at C, especially with all the the new faces in the OL and trying to run the no huddle to boot.

#1: Bell, Handy, Wood, Butler, Walker = best option, assuming Handy can play LG. It would be nice to get some insight as to what differentiates the LG skill set from the RG. It's the best option because it makes the transition to #3 the most seamless, and it still allows Handy to contribute his mental prowess.

#2: Bell, Butler, Handy, Wood, Walker as mentioned above, not knowing the intricate differences between LG and RG, I can't say for certain whether Butler can play LG. It also sets up the line for another shakeup, assuming Levitre gets up to speed.

#3 Bell, Levitre, Wood, Butler, Walker assuming Bell is the best option at LT, and that this rumor wasn't floated because of the Walker/Butler tackle conundrum, then I think this would be the starting lineup opening day 2010. Assuming Levitre being the highest rated G on draft day has some validity for his future potential in the NFL, and if Wood keeps progressing the way we all hope he will, then this will be a great lineup once it gets its act together, something I don't think will happen before the bye week in 2009.

You mean to tell me people don't like ambiguity?

:ph34r:

If Tim's got this right (and I have no reason to disbelieve him), this will be pretty big news. One duplicate thread was already started because the poster didn't see it in any of the titles, and I'd like to keep that from becoming a trend. Appreciate your understanding ...

well the big change in thinking would be if the front office decided they needed an additional salary dump -

since season ticket sales have maxed out, no revenue would be lost from dis-illusioned fans if a few high salary guys were dumped.

Walker, Schobel and Kelsey could all be out the door to save Ralph some serious coin in 2009.

Sources close to the team tell me there's a growing belief among some coaches on Dick Jauron's staff that Demetrius Bell should be the left tackle when the regular season opens Sept. 14 against the New England Patriots.

That part of Buffalo's staff favors Bell speaks as much about the club's dissatisfaction over Walker's inadequacies as it does Bell's development.

Tim, if you're reading, I'm curious about these. First, did you get a sense that there's differing opinions, especially with Jauron? Do you get the feeling that it will be a battle if Turk wants Bell to start at LT for week 1?

Also, is the second part speculation on your part, or was that the info you were given? I'm curious if the coaches actually think Bell is just less of a liability instead of surpassing their expectations.

:ph34r:

If Tim's got this right (and I have no reason to disbelieve him), this will be pretty big news. One duplicate thread was already started because the poster didn't see it in any of the titles, and I'd like to keep that from becoming a trend. Appreciate your understanding ...

You're right, it is big news, especially for the insatiable among us.

Also, not being more specific in the title was my bad and you were right to fix it. Carry on, carry on. :thumbsup: