Offensive Line Play

Frez

I've never seen such bad play from an NFL offensive line. I witnessed last night grown men getting thrown backwards into the backfield by a rookie DT. I thought these guys were going to be an upgrade this year? Who the hell evaluates these guys and says yes, they will help our team? It's not even they haven't played together long enough it's boys getting pushed around by men. They should be ashamed of themselves when they see the film today.

Yup, It's only preseason BUT they should not be looking so weak and so bad at this point.

An ass kicking may be what they needed . next week they may get another one .

Steelers are a strong physical team, always have been. They will play rough with this team. Another big test to see how they respond.

The Packers are a GOOD team,they will do well this season and might make the playoffs. I wonder how the Bills will play when they face a great team this season. The Packers were bringing the heat every play it seemed, the new DC wanting to show the changes to that defense.

Last week the Bills faced a defense that they see every day in camp, the Bears style of Tampa 2. The Bills got their first taste of a 3-4 defense, and they get another taste next week against the Steeler's. The final week will be against Detroit and they should have a decent showing against them.

I can only hope the Bills O lines does a better job against the Steeler's, because as of now the Patriots, who should be a great team this year, are going to steamroll right through that Bills O line.

I've never seen such bad play from an NFL offensive line. I witnessed last night grown men getting thrown backwards into the backfield by a rookie DT. I thought these guys were going to be an upgrade this year? Who the hell evaluates these guys and says yes, they will help our team? It's not even they haven't played together long enough it's boys getting pushed around by men. They should be ashamed of themselves when they see the film today.

Yup, It's only preseason BUT they should not be looking so weak and so bad at this point.

Yeah i agree. Now i'm really worried about the New England game.

An ass kicking may be what they needed . next week they may get another one .

i dont know but the announcers were complimenting the play of our new center the whole time he was in there.

the rookies will struggle early primarily livitire however i believe they will be very good.

butler will be a very good RT and walker is better than peters was the last 2 years.

peters by the way is getting ripped in philly. once again he is hurt and the coaching staff keeps making excuses for his piss poor play.

believe it or not their last excuse which affected his play was the snap count. are you freaking kidding me.

give this line some time. we still have 2 more games. they will only improve as time goes on.

i dont know but the announcers were complimenting the play of our new center the whole time he was in there.

the rookies will struggle early primarily livitire however i believe they will be very good.

butler will be a very good RT and walker is better than peters was the last 2 years.

peters by the way is getting ripped in philly. once again he is hurt and the coaching staff keeps making excuses for his piss poor play.

believe it or not their last excuse which affected his play was the snap count. are you freaking kidding me.

give this line some time. we still have 2 more games. they will only improve as time goes on.

You are a true optimist the glass is half full!

I hope you are 100% correct!!

I say bring these defenses on...trial by fire. I like seeing these guys getting reps against tough defenses...so long as they learn and improve.

I agree. We've played Tennessee, Chicago, and now Green Bay. All expected to be upper echelon teams in the NFL this year. We've faced some good teams and I can only think that this WILL help us in the long run as a whole.

This Team (just like their HC) is soft, ill-prepared and overmatched on almost any Game Day...This Coaching Staff has no clue STILL how to attack a 3-4 D, and oh boy is it going to hurt this Season...It's going to be SO ugly if they don't find a freaking clue...And an Offense that can't Run the Ball with any consistancy playing their Home Games in Buffalo NY??? Can't wait to see this No Huddle juggernaut when it's snowing sideways at The Ralph...

Just more genius from Dead Dick and his Band of Zombies...Thank GOD it's only one more Season of this garbage...Thank the good Lord above... :sick:

Really?! I must have missed those accolades. But what I did see is Hangartner get bowled over by Raji twice... There was a reason why he couldnt hold a starting position in Carolina; this year, we'll see why (unfortunately)...

I agree. We've played Tennessee, Chicago, and now Green Bay. All expected to be upper echelon teams in the NFL this year. We've faced some good teams and I can only think that this WILL help us in the long run as a whole.

yeah, maybe the first team offense will even score a touchdown

Good post. The oline has looked terrible run blocking though. But this hopefully will improve in time. Additionally, this is an entirely different offense with TO. JosH reed is a good #3 but an absolutely terrible #2. Teams load up the box because Reed can't be a starting corner one on one. With TO, you can't stack the box.

Additionally, our pass blocking has been pretty good. The main problem is that without TO, our receivers can't get open. As a result, you saw a lot of Trent hanging onto the ball and taking coverage sacks. With TO (hopefully), this will improve.

This Team (just like their HC) is soft, ill-prepared and overmatched on almost any Game Day...This Coaching Staff has no clue STILL how to attack a 3-4 D, and oh boy is it going to hurt this Season...It's going to be SO ugly if they don't find a freaking clue...And an Offense that can't Run the Ball with any consistancy playing their Home Games in Buffalo NY??? Can't wait to see this No Huddle juggernaut when it's snowing sideways at The Ralph...

Just more genius from Dead Dick and his Band of Zombies...Thank GOD it's only one more Season of this garbage...Thank the good Lord above... :ph34r:

Soft is a very good word to describe this football tea. Wait till the Steelers get their hands on them. :sick:

7-9, 7-9, 7-9. Where does your optimism for improvement come from?

I think Wood and Levitre will be players in this league and I don't mind them getting reps against big time NFL D-lines so early in their careers...I was talking more on a personal level with those guys because they'll still be around regardless of the coaching staff for a while hopefully.

They can't run block, receivers can't get open in 1 on 1 coverage... I see TO with 'nagging injuries' all season just to disassociate himself with this team. Wait til next season when we are re-building with new HC/OC (hopefully), new QB (sorry Edwards is still soft) AND don't have TO on the team. I was thinking before the pre-season that 6-10 was realistic, with a best case scenario of 8-8. Right now, reality looks like 4-12, with 6-10 as a long-shot.

Just more genius from Dead Dick and his Band of Zombies...Thank GOD it's only one more Season of this garbage...Thank the good Lord above... :worthy:

not to burst your bubble

but unless Ralph dies, you get Dick for 3 more years

no way does Ralph eat any dollars on that contract when the lemmings are setting ticket sales records

I see a lot of over reacting here. For one thing, some of you people should go look at film of what Raji did in college before the draft. The kid was absolutely blowing up whole offensive lines almost single handedly. Green Bay was very fortunate to pick up someone so explosive. Everyone here is putting a lot of emphasis on Green Bay's 3-4 D, but the real problem Buffalo had was in dealing with an extremely tough bull rush. Green Bay will likely sweep thier division because they are stacked in that regard. Thier front four was simply out powering our offensive line. Very few teams in the NFL will be able to do that. One thing that does concern me is that Trent Edwards was clearly very uncomfortable and seemed to have no answer for it. He needs plays that can turn that kind of attack against his opponent. And as far as holding the ball too long, I think the play calling for pass plays was all wrong. He was simply waiting long enough for his man to be open. What happened to the screen pass? Or the quick 3 step drop and release on a timed play? Everyone wants to see the big play, but in the scenario that played out last night, Trent should have been dinking and dunking quick short yardage plays to put the Green Bay Defense on its heels.

I see a lot of over reacting here. For one thing, some of you people should go look at film of what Raji did in college before the draft. The kid was absolutely blowing up whole offensive lines almost single handedly. Green Bay was very fortunate to pick up someone so explosive. Everyone here is putting a lot of emphasis on Green Bay's 3-4 D, but the real problem Buffalo had was in dealing with an extremely tough bull rush. Green Bay will likely sweep thier division because they are stacked in that regard. Thier front four was simply out powering our offensive line. Very few teams in the NFL will be able to do that. One thing that does concern me is that Trent Edwards was clearly very uncomfortable and seemed to have no answer for it. He needs plays that can turn that kind of attack against his opponent. And as far as holding the ball too long, I think the play calling for pass plays was all wrong. He was simply waiting long enough for his man to be open. What happened to the screen pass? Or the quick 3 step drop and release on a timed play? Everyone wants to see the big play, but in the scenario that played out last night, Trent should have been dinking and dunking quick short yardage plays to put the Green Bay Defense on its heels.

Bills were equally inept against all of the 3-4 defenses they played last year.

they have done nothing to prepare to attack it this year

Bills were equally inept against all of the 3-4 defenses they played last year.

they have done nothing to prepare to attack it this year

Which Trent straight out admitted in his press conference.

Incredible.

Thansk for the great teaching DJ.

I think this is a great post. I was going to make the same point about Trent holding the ball. Folks complain about the Captain Checkdown stuff but he's just getting the ball out on time like he's supposed to. If he holds it for more than 4 seconds he's going to get hit behind this OLine, particularly when they're running a basic offense against a good defensive front that was running a lot of games on them. Not to mention a great corner tandem that he had to be leery of.

I thought both QB's ran themselves into trouble unnecessarily a few times and neither of them looked very good. The OLine didn't look great by any means but they weren't as bad as many are making them out to be.

not to burst your bubble

but unless Ralph dies, you get Dick for 3 more years

no way does Ralph eat any dollars on that contract when the lemmings are setting ticket sales records

That's the way I see it too. Dick walked away from an 0-6 division record and 2-8 finish with a 3 year $6 mil. extension. What will it take for Ralph to cut a $4 million dollar check and wave goodbye to Jauron? Not to mention paying a new coach. It's much easier to give a little lip service to the talent level, have Chris Brown talk up the latest draft and FA's, and move on.

Preseason or not, their first team thoroughly beat the hell out of our first team. They should feel embarassed. And in response to the fact that Dick and his crew had no answer to the 3-4 well, it's been that way for the last 3 years! He didn't get it then and he doesn't get it now. Not only is the play calling predictable, but it's also very unimaginative. If this game doesn't worry you then you're in for a suprise this season. I've been looking at it this way, it's a win - win situation; If we suck and don't get into the playoffs (and I'm not talking just missed) we get a new coach, if we make the playoffs, great. I'm hoping my fears about this team are way off, but for now I'm worried.

Preseason or not, their first team thoroughly beat the hell out of our first team. They should feel embarassed. And in response to the fact that Dick and his crew had no answer to the 3-4 well, it's been that way for the last 3 years! He didn't get it then and he doesn't get it now. Not only is the play calling predictable, but it's also very unimaginative. If this game doesn't worry you then you're in for a suprise this season. I've been looking at it this way, it's a win - win situation; If we suck and don't get into the playoffs (and I'm not talking just missed) we get a new coach, if we make the playoffs, great. I'm hoping my fears about this team are way off, but for now I'm worried.

This team's performance against GB was definitely cause for concern. I really don't understand how some people want to dismiss the outing because "it's just preseason", "they have a great d-kine", "they game planned", and so forth. This is a poorly coached team with Mr. Softy as it's leader. The crap you saw last night will continue in the regular season. The Monday Night opener is likely to be a slaughter. This is Dick's 4th season, he has had influence over player selection, and this team looks no better than when he took over.

It walks like a duck. looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

This team's performance against GB was definitely cause for concern. I really don't understand how some people want to dismiss the outing because "it's just preseason", "they have a great d-kine", "they game planned", and so forth. This is a poorly coached team with Mr. Softy as it's leader. The crap you saw last night will continue in the regular season. The Monday Night opener is likely to be a slaughter. This is Dick's 4th season, he has had influence over player selection, and this team looks no better than when he took over.

It walks like a duck. looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

What does Jeff Garcia have to do with anything?

I think Wood and Levitre will be players in this league and I don't mind them getting reps against big time NFL D-lines so early in their careers...I was talking more on a personal level with those guys because they'll still be around regardless of the coaching staff for a while hopefully.

Ha! I think 7-9 IS optimistic for this team.