Interior O-line Observation

DDD

Yea, I know it was a meaningless 1st half of a preseason game. Nevertheless, here are my observations on the interior of the O-line which was basically all I was interested in watching:

Wood: Wow. I now believe all the practice hype about this guy. He looked great. Great intensity, pushed guys into the turf, never quit. He's probably going to be our best lineman by the end of the season.

Hangartner: Unimpressive. Trivial if at all "upgrade" over Fowler/Preston.

Levitre: Abused. Consistently pushed into the backfield. I guess there's some truth to the short arms thing.

I would not at all be suprised if Wood is moved back to center in 2010 where he played in college if Hangartner struggles this season.

Wood: Wow. I now believe all the practice hype about this guy. He looked great. Great intensity, pushed guys into the turf, never quit. He's probably going to be our best lineman by the end of the season.

Sad thing is that he may already be our best lineman....

That is good, though. The kid was a monster. Loved what he did tonight. He was killing his man and even taking on 2 guys on some plays.

Met in the backfield each time...just like last season. I know it's only pre-season but it's not a good omen.

PTR

well...actually like the first half of last season. The last half of last season the Bills had one of the best rushing offenses in the NFL, averaging nearly 5 yards per carry over he last 8 games and ranking 6th in the NFL over that time frame....

well...actually like the first half of last season. The last half of last season the Bills had one of the best rushing offenses in the NFL, averaging nearly 5 yards per carry over he last 8 games and ranking 6th in the NFL over that time frame....

Thats why when it mattered most, and Lynch was at his best, we went for the pass play. I mean sack play. I mean INT play....

Thanks DJ

they definitely looked like a team that has only been playing together for 2 weeks

good thing they have some 2-a-days to work on technique and get the kinks out :lol:

maybe if they hit each in practice, they would not look like they were just surprised from a club med vacation.

I get the feeling from camp reports that Hangartner willing be pulling a lot, leading off tackle and end sweeps. He's been excellent at that through his short career and the Panther players didn't want him to leave. With him pulling and the guards sealing off/cutting the NT's this makes a lot of sense as to the braintrust's thinking.

I was looking forward to seeing some of this but it didn't happen. I suspect due to the 'vanilla/show nothing' perspective.

The Bills O-line could go through multiple configurations this season.

ah, yet another "Rebuilding" year... I guess Ralph will never sell the team while he's alive, so I guess we are just f'd until he passes... tennessee looked good. I see no way we beat Indy, Titans, Pats (2), Carolina, Miami (2) anyone who runs the ball well... this cover-2 defense with the small d-line will never stop anyone.. looks like 5-6 wins....well, at least DJ will get canned and we can get Gruden in here and get some fire under their butts again..

Sad thing is that he may already be our best lineman....

That is good, though. The kid was a monster. Loved what he did tonight. He was killing his man and even taking on 2 guys on some plays.

yep and as soon as his rookie contract is up he's gone, and we start over again. gotta love those Bills....

Lynch - 3 attempts. 7 yards.

Jackson - 3 attempts. 3 yards.

Listen, stats don't lie, and yes, the interior big three disapointed us. But I only have one thing to say to anyone analyzing preseason games too much, bad or good: The Lions went 4-0-0 in the preseason last year, and then 0-16-0 when the games counted. Any questions about the "importance" of preseason football games? :lol:

Plus, why did ego maniac Jeff Fisher pull Mortinson's kid after his ugly interception and put experienced Patrick Ramsey back into the game? Because Fisher wanted to win the stupid game. I guess Dick should have run Gibby back out there, or even Fitzy for that matter, for that 2 minute drive that could won the game for the Bills if it had ended in a TD. :thumbsup:

You guys on this Wood and Levitre bullsh*t are an absolute joke. "Wood is amazing and Levitre got abused."

And why do you say that? Because you saw Levitre get pushed back once, and didn't see Wood get pushed back, so that must mean Levitre sucked and Wood was great. Too bad none of you actually watched them play specifically. Wood missed more blocks than Levitre did. Go back and watch. Go back and count. I had missed assignments at Wood 3, Levitre 2. Stop coming up with an analysis off of one damn play.

You guys on this Wood and Levitre bullsh*t are an absolute joke. "Wood is amazing and Levitre got abused."

And why do you say that? Because you saw Levitre get pushed back once, and didn't see Wood get pushed back, so that must mean Levitre sucked and Wood was great. Too bad none of you actually watched them play specifically. Wood missed more blocks than Levitre did. Go back and watch. Go back and count. I had missed assignments at Wood 3, Levitre 2. Stop coming up with an analysis off of one damn play.

what he said. :lol:

I've always said this starting 5 is probably the worst in the NFL.. 2 rookie starting at guards? Butler and Hangartner new positions and unproven? and the stiff Walker at LT... They suck .. 3-13

Well, since you've got the season figured out already, no need to watch it or post about it, eh?

:lol:

I've always said this starting 5 is probably the worst in the NFL.. 2 rookie starting at guards? Butler and Hangartner new positions and unproven? and the stiff Walker at LT... They suck .. 3-13

This is the second time you've posted your theory that the Bills O line is "the worst in the NFL", based on WHAT? Have you even seen any of the other O lines in the league this year? Didn't think so.

At least if you're going to just pull stuff out of thin air, make your position defensible by having at least *some* facts to base it on...

agree 100%

I agree that both Wood and Levitre missed assignments and/or just plain got beaten on a few occassions.

That said, I also noticed that both, especially Wood, got to the second level on many plays to make additional blocks. On one occassion, Wood drove his man 10 yards down the field, put him on the ground, and stayed on him until the whistle blew.

The missed assignments can be fixed. And that will take time. Anyone expecting perfection from a newly formed OLine just doesn't know the game.

But in BOTH Wood and Levitre, I saw FOOTBALL temperament. FOOTBALL attitude. FOOTBALL effort. You either have it or you don't. These attributes cannot be coached or 'instilled.' Both have it in spades.

GO BILLS!!!

Yea, I know it was a meaningless 1st half of a preseason game. Nevertheless, here are my observations on the interior of the O-line which was basically all I was interested in watching:

Levitre: Abused. Consistently pushed into the backfield. I guess there's some truth to the short arms thing.

I would not at all be suprised if Wood is moved back to center in 2010 where he played in college if Hangartner struggles this season.

What do you mean Woods at center in 2010? Now would be better.

Listen, stats don't lie, and yes, the interior big three disapointed us. But I only have one thing to say to anyone analyzing preseason games too much, bad or good: The Lions went 4-0-0 in the preseason last year, and then 0-16-0 when the games counted. Any questions about the "importance" of preseason football games? :thumbsup:

Plus, why did ego maniac Jeff Fisher pull Mortinson's kid after his ugly interception and put experienced Patrick Ramsey back into the game? Because Fisher wanted to win the stupid game. I guess Dick should have run Gibby back out there, or even Fitzy for that matter, for that 2 minute drive that could won the game for the Bills if it had ended in a TD. :lol:

Thank you. It was clear from the Titans' first offensive series and especially the fake punt that this game was REALLY important for Fisher, for some reason. I hope he got what he was looking for out of it.

So you're judging them off 5 plays? I did watch the plays, over and over. I admit I'm not an O-line guru, so there are things that pass me by, but from what I can tell, Woods was the far better player overall. I'm not talking about how many blocks were missed, or who got pushed back on one play. I'm talking over the course of their time in the game, who did the better job of taking their guy out of position to make a play. Levitre may get to his block, but he is usually the one being controlled once contact is made. How well these two read the defense and know their assignments is a big question, but even if they are horrible, it's something that should be expected and will be fixed with practice and repetition.

And by the way, I think Hangartner did a very good job. I wasn't as focused on him, and may go back and watch again to do so, but when I did watch him he always picked up his guy and kept him out of the play. He wasn't dominating, but he did what he had to do.

So you're judging them off 5 plays? I did watch the plays, over and over. I admit I'm not an O-line guru, so there are things that pass me by, but from what I can tell, Woods was the far better player overall. I'm not talking about how many blocks were missed, or who got pushed back on one play. I'm talking over the course of their time in the game, who did the better job of taking their guy out of position to make a play. Levitre may get to his block, but he is usually the one being controlled once contact is made. How well these two read the defense and know their assignments is a big question, but even if they are horrible, it's something that should be expected and will be fixed with practice and repetition.

And by the way, I think Hangartner did a very good job. I wasn't as focused on him, and may go back and watch again to do so, but when I did watch him he always picked up his guy and kept him out of the play. He wasn't dominating, but he did what he had to do.

I have to agree. Granted it was the first preseason game of the year, but what happened to being "NASTY". Thats why we drafted these guys, right? It would have been great to see them line up from the 2 and pound the ball right down their throat. maybe thats just what the Bills need.....AN IDENTITY. Nope we'll line up and throw quick outs to our 5 foot 2 inch WR??

As far as I remember, Levitre was pushed back more than once. Not that it changes what you're saying too much, but constantly getting pushed into the backfield is something to notice. I'm not clamoring to cut him or anything, just observing.

Thank you. It was clear from the Titans' first offensive series and especially the fake punt that this game was REALLY important for Fisher, for some reason. I hope he got what he was looking for out of it.

probably because he views all of the games on the way to the Superbowl as important.

he actually has his guys hit during training camp and makes them practice more than once a day

but that's just him- what does he know about coaching a contender

Answer me this. If Levitre played so much better than Eric Wood, then why did Eric Wood get pulled with the rest of the starters and Levitre played well into the second half???

And if Wood did miss more assignments than Levitre, maybe that had to do with Levitre being at camp longer than Wood. The fact of the matter is, Wood beat his man when he did get his assignment right and Levitre struggled mightily.

Answer me this. If Levitre played so much better than Eric Wood, then why did Eric Wood get pulled with the rest of the starters and Levitre played well into the second half???

And if Wood did miss more assignments than Levitre, maybe that had to do with Levitre being at camp longer than Wood. The fact of the matter is, Wood beat his man when he did get his assignment right and Levitre struggled mightily.

+1

If you can't make the block, you can't make the block. If you can make the block, you can fill in the mental stuff later. Let's see what Wood does during week TWO of his new job.

probably because he views all of the games on the way to the Superbowl as important.

he actually has his guys hit during training camp and makes them practice more than once a day

but that's just him- what does he know about coaching a contender

Maybe if he'd saved the trick/good plays for when it counted, he wouldn't have made a first game playoff exit the past 2 years, after missing the playoffs the 3 previous years.

On Trent's completion to Owens on the sideline:

Walker holds.

Levitre goes to double team with Handy who's getting pushed back, but does nothing.

Handy gets pushed back, but the defender had his hand all over his mask.

Wood whiffs on a chop.

Bell gets beat to the inside.

That's how these guys stood up 5 on 4.

After watching and documenting this play, I realize it's the exact same break down given on rumblings. My bad if you read them both.

My breakdown of each play...

2nd & 7:

- Walker got beat on an inside spin move

- Late rush (thanks no huddle) and Levitre, Hang and Woods formed a wall in the middle

- Marshawn was a little late to pick up Griffin on the blitz (and added him to the muddle in the middle)

- I'll take pitches and catches like that every play; Trent to TO should be really fun this year (at least when there's time to make it happen...)

2nd & 7 (again):

- Rusher goes outside around Walker, but a hold saves the day!

- Levitre and hang block one guy, till Andy gets tossed and Hang gets pushed back - by the throat!

- Wood gets an initial block, then falls (or looks like pulled) down

- Bells man gets around him to the inside, but a comb push from Bell and a guy rolling under him makes him fall

- Things definitely looked outta synch on that play, but Trent stayed cool and calm, a good sign IMO.

3rd & 3:

- Walker's guy tries a terrible spin move right back into his arms

- Levitre popped up out of his stance too tall (a common TBD complaint) but held is ground

- Hang does a nice job in the middle

- Woods guy starts outside, but jumps inside; Wood basically pushes him into Hang, but does get pushed back a little

- Bell did a nice job keeping his man away on the outside

- Early in the play, Marshawn went outside and the blitzer went inside forcing Trent to scramble (had that guy not gotten through, Trent would have had a couple more seconds for sure)

- Nice channeling of Flutie by Trent...

2nd & 9:

- Another big hold by Walker keeps his man away (this could be a problem when the refs start seeing it)

- Levitre gets the big bull rush, but to his defense the rusher was pushing him back by his freaking facemask!

- Hang and Wood take one guy and stone him stoned their guy

- Bell almost gets beat to the outside

- Not sure if "stepping in" (the big INT theory) would have helped, since Trebt was trying to put that ball in a small space between the three defenders, but that one definitely sailed on him

- Chalk it up to whatever, but lets get the mistakes out now

Overall it looked like some good and some bad to me. Walker on the left makes me nervous. I think that Levitre will step his game up and learn from his mistakes. I love Wood and think that Hang is an upgrade. Bell shows promise for sure - let's hope they ALL blossom this year!

For these guys to have any success though, they've got to play as a unit. Know the assignments and *execute*, please, we deserve it! :thumbsup:

My breakdown of each play...

2nd & 7:

- Walker got beat on an inside spin move

- Late rush (thanks no huddle) and Levitre, Hang and Woods formed a wall in the middle

- Marshawn was a little late to pick up Griffin on the blitz (and added him to the muddle in the middle)

- I'll take pitches and catches like that every play; Trent to TO should be really fun this year (at least when there's time to make it happen...)

2nd & 7 (again):

- Rusher goes outside around Walker, but a hold saves the day!

- Levitre and hang block one guy, till Andy gets tossed and Hang gets pushed back - by the throat!

- Wood gets an initial block, then falls (or looks like pulled) down

- Bells man gets around him to the inside, but a comb push from Bell and a guy rolling under him makes him fall

- Things definitely looked outta synch on that play, but Trent stayed cool and calm, a good sign IMO.

3rd & 3:

- Walker's guy tries a terrible spin move right back into his arms

- Levitre popped up out of his stance too tall (a common TBD complaint) but held is ground

- Hang does a nice job in the middle

- Woods guy starts outside, but jumps inside; Wood basically pushes him into Hang, but does get pushed back a little

- Bell did a nice job keeping his man away on the outside

- Early in the play, Marshawn went outside and the blitzer went inside forcing Trent to scramble (had that guy not gotten through, Trent would have had a couple more seconds for sure)

- Nice channeling of Flutie by Trent...

2nd & 9:

- Another big hold by Walker keeps his man away (this could be a problem when the refs start seeing it)

- Levitre gets the big bull rush, but to his defense the rusher was pushing him back by his freaking facemask!

- Hang and Wood take one guy and stone him stoned their guy

- Bell almost gets beat to the outside

- Not sure if "stepping in" (the big INT theory) would have helped, since Trebt was trying to put that ball in a small space between the three defenders, but that one definitely sailed on him

- Chalk it up to whatever, but lets get the mistakes out now

Overall it looked like some good and some bad to me. Walker on the left makes me nervous. I think that Levitre will step his game up and learn from his mistakes. I love Wood and think that Hang is an upgrade. Bell shows promise for sure - let's hope they ALL blossom this year!

For these guys to have any success though, they've got to play as a unit. Know the assignments and *execute*, please, we deserve it! :thumbsup:

Which do you think the refs will start seeing/calling first: all those holds or the hands to the throat/face. Actually, I'm glad our guys up front got such a rude welcoming. It will only help.

GO BILLS!!!