No wonder Wilson says he can't compete...

Big Turk

There was an article on Yahoo talking about how a suite in the Cowboys new stadium costs 800K per year, and doesn't even include any tickets to the games. In addition, each suite has menus available to order from, which include:

A Plain Large Pizza(no toppings) for $90!!!

A 12 pack of domestic beer for $66!!

A 4 pack of Red Bull for $22!!

Are you freaking kidding me?!?!? $90 for a pizza with no toppings?? What the hell is it made out of? Gold?

I cannot fathom why you would pay 800K for a luxury box that doesn't include tickets or any food while you are there...almost all other suites in other stadiums include both tickets and food for much less....

Unbelievable...

No wonder why Wilson is always talking about how he can't compete anymore...

Cowboys offering $90 Pizzas...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jones has serious issues selling those suites as well in the bad economy, much like the Yankees in their new home park. Just because someone charges big dollar doesn't mean they'll get it. JJ wanted to build a monument to himself and his team, but it hasn't been a slam dunk, and if no one's willing to pay those ridiculous prices, he'll be the one footing the bill.

Things have a way of balancing out. Keep in mind, this is the same Dallas Cowboys team which hasn't won a playoff game since 96. A new stadium at those prices won't change that either.

I live in NY and have lived in Tokyo, two of the most expensive places on earth, and that is just absolutely insane. In this environment, if he sticks to those prices, he may be eating that pizza by himself. Sports owners seem to think that the demand for sports can't be dampened and is limitless--I suspect Jerry may find out that's not the case.....

Jones has serious issues selling those suites as well in the bad economy, much like the Yankees in their new home park. Just because someone charges big dollar doesn't mean they'll get it. JJ wanted to build a monument to himself and his team, but it hasn't been a slam dunk, and if no one's willing to pay those ridiculous prices, he'll be the one footing the bill.

Things have a way of balancing out. Keep in mind, this is the same Dallas Cowboys team which hasn't won a playoff game since 96. A new stadium at those prices won't change that either.

Well, it's not like he can't afford it. Jones has to be one of the most arrogant owners out there. You can actually see it in his eyes and hear it when he gets into discussion on certain topics. You're dead on with the "monument to himself" remark IMO. He just wanted to show off his money and now, in his obvious greed, he WILL end up shelling out more :lol:

Right now, Jones is pretty nervous. To his credit, he put up most of the money for the stadium. And it is one hell of stadium. But in this economy, individuals and corporations cannot shell out big dollars for that kind of luxury. CFOs and controllers need to appear fiscally prudent. Renting a luxury box for that kind of money is not going to escape the public eye. Things will turn around, but how much has Jerry leveraged himself? My Dallas friends say he is hard pressed to find a partner for the naming rights. At least for now. But there is a ceiling. Maybe we found it?

And it isn't like the Cowboys are burning it up these days. The most famous Cowboy of recent times is inow n Buffalo. Maybe Jerry over estimated the demad in Dallas for the value. If The Yankees had to slash prices for premium seats in New York, where does that leave Dallas? Big D is not he Big Apple.

At least Ralph isn't completely insane enough to make himself GM. Owners like Jones are what is ruining sports.

Yes, but not for the GM stuff. It is more for the greed than the customer service. Wellington Mara was a great man for not overexploiting the NYC market with his Giants, and allowing the smaller market teams a chance to compete. This was a great reason for the expansion of all fanbases and the popularity of the game. Snyder, Jones, Kraft are the ones really screwing up the NFL much the same way Steinbrenner has ruined baseball. Greedy owners turn off fans.

Why is it that there are college stadiums with over 100,000 seats but no NFL stadium nearly as large?

Football should be a game where the Pro's have 120,000 seat stadiums with avg. tickets under $45, instead of $75. Pro sports should not be about the rich !@#$s in the boxes, but the everyday diehard in in the 500 section in row 37.

At least Ralph isn't completely insane enough to make himself GM. Owners like Jones are what is ruining sports.

Dan Snyder took that approach when he first came into the league and now I think he's SOMEWHAT starting to get it. You can talk about the Albert Haynesworth signing, but someone was going to give that guy big-time money regardless. He now is actually allowing Vinny Cerrato to handle most of the moves. All owners have the final say of course, except in Miami :lol:

Good point the Yankees had to cut their highest ticket prices by half in order to fill out those lower level seats. And the Yankees have had much more success even in recent years than the Cowboys. Although I agree that charging for food in sweets (Especially at those prices) is ridiculous.

Most teams give free food in the sweets. Hell the New Jersey Devils give you free food for tickets that cost around a 100 dollars. Why Jones feels the need to charge for such ridiculous prices to his best customers is beyond me. Comp some amenities to these corporations and big name clients. Geeze what a dick.

Even though I already knew that fact, it really slaps you in the face to read it. Wow. JJ must be beside himself.

There was an article on Yahoo talking about how a suite in the Cowboys new stadium costs 800K per year, and doesn't even include any tickets to the games. In addition, each suite has menus available to order from, which include:

Are you freaking kidding me?!?!? $90 for a pizza with no toppings?? What the hell is it made out of? Gold?

I cannot fathom why you would pay 800K for a luxury box that doesn't include tickets or any food while you are there...almost all other suites in other stadiums include both tickets and food for much less....

Unbelievable...

I don't understand what this has to do with Ralph "competing".

Right now, Jones is pretty nervous. To his credit, he put up most of the money for the stadium. And it is one hell of stadium. But in this economy, individuals and corporations cannot shell out big dollars for that kind of luxury. CFOs and controllers need to appear fiscally prudent. Renting a luxury box for that kind of money is not going to escape the public eye. Things will turn around, but how much has Jerry leveraged himself? My Dallas friends say he is hard pressed to find a partner for the naming rights. At least for now. But there is a ceiling. Maybe we found it?

And it isn't like the Cowboys are burning it up these days. The most famous Cowboy of recent times is inow n Buffalo. Maybe Jerry over estimated the demad in Dallas for the value. If The Yankees had to slash prices for premium seats in New York, where does that leave Dallas? Big D is not he Big Apple.

Not selling naming rights (ever, in his 20 years as an owner), after villifying Ralph for not doing it, is the funniest part. And things will turn around, but not back to the degree that Jones was expecting how things would be when he first envisioned his mausoleum.

I don't understand what this has to do with Ralph "competing".

It's very simple. Those $800,000.00 per year suites that Jerry Jones is trying to sell? That is considered UNSHARED REVENUE for NFL teams. Even if Jones only sold 5 out of 15 he may have to sell, that $4 Million dollars is money he does not have to share with the other NFL teams. Consequently, he could use that $4 Million dollars that Ralph Wilson has no way of earning himself, as a signing bonus for a free agent and there would be nothing Ralph could do to "compete" with that.

Not selling naming rights (ever, in his 20 years as an owner), after villifying Ralph for not doing it, is the funniest part. And things will turn around, but not back to the degree that Jones was expecting how things would be when he first envisioned his mausoleum.

JJ is on the hook for $600 million, hence the crazy prices. Ralph only makes money at the "Ralph". He doesn't have a $600 mil debt to cover.

Also, JJ isn't crying about his financial position.

It's very simple. Those $800,000.00 per year suites that Jerry Jones is trying to sell? That is considered UNSHARED REVENUE for NFL teams. Even if Jones only sold 5 out of 15 he may have to sell, that $4 Million dollars is money he does not have to share with the other NFL teams. Consequently, he could use that $4 Million dollars that Ralph Wilson has no way of earning himself, as a signing bonus for a free agent and there would be nothing Ralph could do to "compete" with that.

Plus that extra $$ goes to hiring the best coaches, having the best practice facilities, etc etc... all things Ralph cannot do because the team doesnt generate that extra cash..

I think he was a big vote in the inner-circle meeting about whether or not to retain DJ. Reportedly, Wilson directly negotiated the contract with the HC.

Yes, but not for the GM stuff. It is more for the greed than the customer service. Wellington Mara was a great man for not overexploiting the NYC market with his Giants, and allowing the smaller market teams a chance to compete. This was a great reason for the expansion of all fanbases and the popularity of the game. Snyder, Jones, Kraft are the ones really screwing up the NFL much the same way Steinbrenner has ruined baseball. Greedy owners turn off fans.

Wellington Mara was a great owner, and after I read, "The GM" about Ernie Accorsi, only made me realize how much so. He should be in the HOF if you ask me. I think the NFL bubble could burst if there's a strike, and it'll take awhile for it to come back. Charging crazy money isn't a given for tickets.

Great point. The big one to me is that the $4M increases the salary cap and that was/is Ralph's biggest complaint. If the revenue is unshared, the cap should not go up because of it.

Wellington Mara was a great owner, and after I read, "The GM" about Ernie Accorsi, only made me realize how much so. He should be in the HOF if you ask me.

Accorsi and Ron Wolf should be considered for the HOF. I am a little biased on Wolf, but I think his Tampa Bay years might work against him. I would think that Accorsi would have an easier time.

Unbelievable...