No wonder Wilson says he can't compete...

Big Turk

There was an article on Yahoo talking about how a suite in the Cowboys new stadium costs 800K per year, and doesn't even include any tickets to the games. In addition, each suite has menus available to order from, which include:

A Plain Large Pizza(no toppings) for $90!!!

A 12 pack of domestic beer for $66!!

A 4 pack of Red Bull for $22!!

Are you freaking kidding me?!?!? $90 for a pizza with no toppings?? What the hell is it made out of? Gold?

I cannot fathom why you would pay 800K for a luxury box that doesn't include tickets or any food while you are there...almost all other suites in other stadiums include both tickets and food for much less....

Unbelievable...

No wonder why Wilson is always talking about how he can't compete anymore...

Cowboys offering $90 Pizzas...

The price of beer isn't out of line with what they charge for beer in WNY luxury boxes--it's cheaper in Dallas, in fact ($36 for a six-pack at Coca-Cola Field, and that's minor league ball!). The $90 pizza is surprising, but I'll bet a large pie at HSBC is $40.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do the math on this, assuming that the box seats 12 and that the tickets and food cost conservatively $300 per person per game, you end up with a per person cost per game of almost $7000 (even the pre-season games). Once upon a time, he may have been able to get that, but I suspect he'll come up woefully short in the current economy. If he's counting on such prices to cover the cost of his financing, JJ may be in big trouble, especially since I believe that the 'Pokes are his only real source of revenue (unlike other owners who have other business interests.) If Mr. WEO is right on JJ's total nut on the financing (that seemed a bit low to me, since it's a $1.5B stadium, so I would have expected the amount financed to be more like $1 to 1.2B, but who knows), then even at 8% interest (I suspect it's likely higher than that), that's still nearly $50 million in debt service. If his debt is reallly higher then he may be facing more like $100-120 million plus in debt service annually. I wonder what the League would do if JJ went belly up? Talk about a black eye for the League.....

JJ is on the hook for $600 million, hence the crazy prices. Ralph only makes money at the "Ralph". He doesn't have a $600 mil debt to cover.

Also, JJ isn't crying about his financial position.

Why should he? He created it. First with that CBA and now with this debacle.

Plus that extra $ goes to hiring the best coaches, having the best practice facilities, etc etc... all things Ralph cannot do because the team doesnt generate that extra cash.

It goes into the best practice facilities and expensive coaches and such, but as has been mentioned, his team hasn't won a playoff game since 1996. And no one would call Wade Phillips one of the best coaches. Yet he still kept him around, like people vilified Ralph for doing with Jauron.

Plus that extra $$ goes to hiring the best coaches, having the best practice facilities, etc etc... all things Ralph cannot do because the team doesnt generate that extra cash..

i think the cowboys could use a better practice facility :lol:

Reason #17,875 on why I hate the Dallas Cowboys. :lol:

When your team hasn't won a playoff game in 13 years, you can't afford to be arrogant. I don't know where the Cowboys will finish this year (in a down time for the NFC East, they could win the division), but with the economy failing to improve, the Cowboys could have some empty seats in that new Taj Mahal they built.

Now is the new stadium the best ever? From what I'm hearing, it could very well be. But my guess is, with the fact that Jones is on the hook for at least $750 million dollars, is that we have hit the ceiling on sports palaces, as someone said earlier.

And BTW, I think there's a good chance of a lockout in 2011, after the uncapped year. Where will Jerry Jones be then, when there's no team to play in the stadium and he's in the third year of the highest debt service in NFL history?

It goes into the best practice facilities and expensive coaches and such, but as has been mentioned, his team hasn't won a playoff game since 1996. And no one would call Wade Phillips one of the best coaches. Yet he still kept him around, like people vilified Ralph for doing with Jauron.

Exactly! All that money does nothing to increase playoff wins (see also Redskins). What is your point then?

How can you say that the extra money that JJ brings in hurts Ralph? RW doesn't spend to the cap so what difference does it make if the cap goes up?

Also, as everyone has pointed out, the extra money JJ brings in from the suites goes to his massive debt load, not to some "signing bonus". JJ has tken a huge risk financially. Ralph has zero financial risk. Why should JJ have to share his suite money with Ralph (or anyone else) who isn't sharing in his risk?

Ralph's stadium is full. He has no debt. He makes a significant profit every year. And you think he deserves soem of JJ's luxury box money??

Is this really that hard to understand?

Just checked out the schedule on the Evil Empire's website.

Note that several of the Cowboys' home games have corporate sponsors. Jerry's trying to pay off stadium debt any way he can. :wallbash:

True.

And Ralph "can't compete" because JJ is desperate to cover his massive monthly nut.

Yeah, that makes sense--the connection is a straight line.

It's very simple. Those $800,000.00 per year suites that Jerry Jones is trying to sell? That is considered UNSHARED REVENUE for NFL teams. Even if Jones only sold 5 out of 15 he may have to sell, that $4 Million dollars is money he does not have to share with the other NFL teams. Consequently, he could use that $4 Million dollars that Ralph Wilson has no way of earning himself, as a signing bonus for a free agent and there would be nothing Ralph could do to "compete" with that.

Think maybe someone clarified this, but it is an important point...this revenue is now SHARED and that is the problem with the new CBA. Jones sells these suites, the money goes into league revenues, the players get 60% of that, cap goes up, only the big boys van afford to spend to the cap....cause they are the ones making the cap go higher!!!

This is exactly why Ralph was agaisn't the agrrement 3 years ago, and why the owners backed out of it earlyu.

Just checked out the schedule on the Evil Empire's website.

Note that several of the Cowboys' home games have corporate sponsors. Jerry's trying to pay off stadium debt any way he can. :wallbash:

The Bills do the same thing. Usually over the gates when you enter the stadium is a banner announcing who the sponser is for that weeks game. Jerry is just announcing it on the web page also.

Think maybe someone clarified this, but it is an important point...this revenue is now SHARED and that is the problem with the new CBA. Jones sells these suites, the money goes into league revenues, the players get 60% of that, cap goes up, only the big boys van afford to spend to the cap....cause they are the ones making the cap go higher!!!

This is exactly why Ralph was agaisn't the agrrement 3 years ago, and why the owners backed out of it earlyu.

I though it was unshared and that was Ralph's big complaint. If it was shared then the money is distributed evenly and there would be no reason for Ralph to complain. The fact it is unshared and raises the cap is the problem. Certain owners get the extra money and the cap going up hurts the teams that do not get this extra revenue.

Exactly! All that money does nothing to increase playoff wins (see also Redskins). What is your point then?

How can you say that the extra money that JJ brings in hurts Ralph? RW doesn't spend to the cap so what difference does it make if the cap goes up?

Also, as everyone has pointed out, the extra money JJ brings in from the suites goes to his massive debt load, not to some "signing bonus". JJ has tken a huge risk financially. Ralph has zero financial risk. Why should JJ have to share his suite money with Ralph (or anyone else) who isn't sharing in his risk?

Ralph's stadium is full. He has no debt. He makes a significant profit every year. And you think he deserves soem of JJ's luxury box money??

Apparently it is. No one said Ralph "deserves soem of JJ's luxury box money??"

What's your problem here?

I though it was unshared and that was Ralph's big complaint. If it was shared then the money is distributed evenly and there would be no reason for Ralph to complain. The fact it is unshared and raises the cap is the problem. Certain owners get the extra money and the cap going up hurts the teams that do not get this extra revenue.

Yes you are correct....I was thinking original poster was saying that money was kept out the equation for the slary cap. It is money that gets recognized as "league revenue", but it is not shared..my bad

Apparently it is. No one said Ralph "deserves soem of JJ's luxury box money??"

What's your problem here?

His problem is a knee-jerk reaction to anything that might be sympathetic to the Bills as an organization. That is why he is on so many people's "ignore" lists. Try it yourself, you will feel much better.

Wow, I thought you and I were actually going to agree for once on something. I think it's pretty simple that if the cap goes up due to revenue that is not shared then it does hurt teams like Buffalo who don't have the extra cash generated by those luxury suite sales, but who are now forced to compete in a higher capped league with teams that do have that extra cash.

Is this really that hard to understand?[/quote

Alot of these owners put in some of their own money to finance these stadiums, they should not have to share it with Ralph Wilson, who is probably the only owner in the league that has no debt service requirements to meet. I think you missed the point though. I do not think Wilson is complaining that this revenue should be shared, I think his bigger contention is that if this Revenue is not shared, why should it be calculated into the revenue that determines the salary cap.