Saving Black Marriages

Chef Jim

What I got from the article was that apparently black married couples have a helluva time finding a cleaning lady.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes there are NO differences in how cultures handle marriage and the difficulties that may arise. They are all EXACTLY the same.

Weddings are also exactly the same, that's why My Big Fat Greek Wedding was so offensive. It should have just been My Wedding, What does being Big, Fat or Greek have to do with anything. :unsure:

what problems are present with interracial marriages may be the better question and article.

those may be the only type that ACTUALLY have different issues that most others.

Yes there are NO differences in how cultures handle marriage and the difficulties that may arise. They are all EXACTLY the same.

Weddings are also exactly the same, that's why My Big Fat Greek Wedding was so offensive. It should have just been My Wedding, What does being Big, Fat or Greek have to do with anything. :unsure:

Yes.. I was just discussing that with my friend Binder Gujarat.

Better yet I'd like to hear some challenges of marriage that are unique to blacks.

Deciding which gang their kid will join.

is there a single greater statistical predictor of marital outcomes than whether your parents remained married?

Serious question.

Both sets of my grandparents remained married. On my dads side, 7 children, only two never divorced, my father and one uncle. On my moms side, 5 children, only one was divorced. Out of all the grandchildren from both sides, who are married, we're all still married.

What I got from the article was that apparently black married couples have a helluva time finding a cleaning lady.

How about Florence?

I don't know how I feel about this either way. I don't think there's any dispute that minorities are inevitably going to experience some hardships that a white guy from the suburbs won't be able to understand.

But this is what I don't get about CNN going out of their way to classify and separate minority cultures further from majority with their specials "Black in America," "Latino in America," and "Black in America 2." Look, I get that these groups all had struggles, fought for equality over generations. I really do. But at this point, I'm sorry, but our President is black. What can't minorities accomplish that white people can anymore? Seriously.

At this point, can't we all just be "People in America." I think classifying it the way CNN is actually contributing more to the problem. In a sense, I feel left out that they're not doing a "White in America." Yes, white people in this country are struggling to keep a job, pay the mortgage, feed their children, or pay for college too. I hope people don't think this post is slighted, but I can't help but feel that CNN is pouring on the white guilt, and I really, very much respect the product CNN delivers.

But this is what I don't get about CNN going out of their way to classify and separate minority cultures further from majority with their specials "Black in America," "Latino in America," and "Black in America 2." Look, I get that these groups all had struggles, fought for equality over generations. I really do. But at this point, I'm sorry, but our President is black. What can't minorities accomplish that white people can anymore? Seriously.

At this point, can't we all just be "People in America." I think classifying it the way CNN is actually contributing more to the problem. In a sense, I feel left out that they're not doing a "White in America." Yes, white people in this country are struggling to keep a job, pay the mortgage, feed their children, or pay for college too. I hope people don't think this post is slighted, but I can't help but feel that CNN is pouring on the white guilt, and I really, very much respect the product CNN delivers.

Remember years ago when the self-anointed "progressives" talked about a goal of a 'colorblind' society? Funny how the same people now can't seem to get enough of segregating people along racial lines so as to promote the victim mentality in everyone.

Remember years ago when the self-anointed "progressives" talked about a goal of a 'colorblind' society? Funny how the same people now can't seem to get enough of segregating people along racial lines so as to promote the victim mentality in everyone.

CHECK IT

Exactly.

What do you expect, Al Sharpton getting a REAL job??

is there a single greater statistical predictor of marital outcomes than whether your parents remained married?

Serious question.

Other factors indicative of or more likely to lead to a successful marriage (simply measured as staying married - not the quality within the relationship):

Age at which both of you are married - older tends to lead to "success"

Second marriages are more likely to succeed

College education - if both have a degree they are more likely to stay together

Believe it or not - living together before marriage tends to be an indicator that the marriage is less likely to succeed.

There are others but I do not recall what they are off the top of my head.

For me, I believe marriage is fantastic but it has been far from easy. My wife would say the same. Best advice I ever received was the statement "In marriage compromise does not mean meeting somewhere in the middle - more often than not it means one or the other of you will have to go all the way to your spouse's side of the situation." This is an absolutely true statement. It has played out many times in our marriage (now almost 10 years) and I am sure it will continue to do so. Perhaps the most difficult balancing act in marriage is knowing when you have to be the partner that gives in or holds firm in these situations.

Other factors indicative of or more likely to lead to a successful marriage (simply measured as staying married - not the quality within the relationship):

Age at which both of you are married - older tends to lead to "success"

Second marriages are more likely to succeed

College education - if both have a degree they are more likely to stay together

Believe it or not - living together before marriage tends to be an indicator that the marriage is less likely to succeed.

There are others but I do not recall what they are off the top of my head.

For me, I believe marriage is fantastic but it has been far from easy. My wife would say the same. Best advice I ever received was the statement "In marriage compromise does not mean meeting somewhere in the middle - more often than not it means one or the other of you will have to go all the way to your spouse's side of the situation." This is an absolutely true statement. It has played out many times in our marriage (now almost 10 years) and I am sure it will continue to do so. Perhaps the most difficult balancing act in marriage is knowing when you have to be the partner that gives in or holds firm in these situations.

My wife and I are the exceptions to your rules.

Married young

First marriage

College educated...we follow that one

Lived together before marriage.

Been happily (very happy I might add) for over 26 years. Our key.....no kids. :flirt: Or is it because we're white? :thumbsup:

My wife and I are the exceptions to your rules.

Married young

First marriage

College educated...we follow that one

Lived together before marriage.

Been happily (very happy I might add) for over 26 years. Our key.....no kids. :flirt: Or is it because we're white? :thumbsup:

How young? 18 or 19 when married??

What a double standard. So sick of this sh-t, every ones heritage was oppressed at one point or another in history. Granted slavery was a despicable part of history but lets get past it.

Every time we want to look to the future sites like CNN want to keep dragging up the past. The horse is DEAD, cremate and spread its ashes. All of the Italians, Irish, Jews, Polish and you name it have been ostracized. Man or Woman the !@#$ up and get on with your lives. Sh-t stirrers like Sharpton and Jackson have no other existence but to put them selves in the middle of others problems.

What happened if CNN wrote a piece on strictly white marriages? HOLY SH-T would there be an all out media circus.

What a double standard. So sick of this sh-t, every ones heritage was oppressed at one point or another in history. Granted slavery was a despicable part of history but lets get past it.

Every time we want to look to the future sites like CNN want to keep dragging up the past. The horse is DEAD, cremate and spread its ashes. All of the Italians, Irish, Jews, Polish and you name it have been ostracized. Man or Woman the !@#$ up and get on with your lives. Sh-t stirrers like Sharpton and Jackson have no other existence but to put them selves in the middle of others problems.

What happened if CNN wrote a piece on strictly white marriages? HOLY SH-T would there be an all out media circus.

To a certain truth you are right... I think some don't realize how far "separate but equal" has set this issue back... We are finally catching up to where we left off... It isn't just about slavery.

How young? 18 or 19 when married??

I answered my own question... You were 22 Cheffy when you got hitched, right? Just saying, IMO... That isn't too young... IMO, just aboout the cutoff... Those 2-3 years makes all the difference... Even more if a few years pass after that. I am 7 years younger than you and have already been happily married 15 years (this May).

The big thing is SCHOOL... Higher education!

Those 2-3 years are MAJOR. IMO, that is why the draft should be 21. Then we wouldn't have any cannon fodder I guess AND be hurting in other respects policywise.

Not true. 60% of second marriages fail.

Correct. At least according to this article at divorcerate.org:

http://www.divorcerate.org/

According to enrichment journal on the divorce rate in America:

The divorce rate in America for first marriage is 41%

The divorce rate in America for second marriage is 60%

The divorce rate in America for third marriage is 73%

It only makes sense that people who failed at their marriage would have a higher percentage of failing in their subsequent marriages. You'd think after two, they would realize they don't do this particular thing, all that well.