Saving Black Marriages

Chef Jim

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, because black and white culture is different.

Their cultures may be different but the challenges with their marriages are the same. Everything they experienced that was causing issues with their marriage is experienced by all married people black, white, yellow, green.

Their cultures may be different but the challenges with their marriages are the same. Everything they experienced that was causing issues with their marriage is experienced by all married people black, white, yellow, green.

Highlight some of the challenges of a marriage that applies to both cultures.

Highlight some of the challenges of a marriage that applies to both cultures.

I'm talking about the couple in the article:

"I love my husband" said Shanna Woodbury of their marriage. "But I feel so overworked and underappreciated. I work full-time like my husband, but if I don't maintain the domestic responsibilities of the house, nothing gets done. Added to that, I manage our rental properties and take care of everything for our kids, alone."

Also the one kegger already got:

"I'm faithful to my wife, I give her my whole paycheck but I work the late shift and my job is demanding. When I come home, I don't need to hear her mouth -- I just need to watch my favorite football game in peace

Shanna grows more overwhelmed, tempers flare and the two begin arguing more and listening less. Tension took over their home and their fighting began to take a toll on the rest of the family, resulting in disciplinary issues with the kids.

But here's the biggest challenge of marriage that is color blind....MONEY!

Better yet I'd like to hear some challenges of marriage that are unique to blacks.

Yes there are NO differences in how cultures handle marriage and the difficulties that may arise. They are all EXACTLY the same.

Weddings are also exactly the same, that's why My Big Fat Greek Wedding was so offensive. It should have just been My Wedding, What does being Big, Fat or Greek have to do with anything. :unsure:

Yes there are NO differences in how cultures handle marriage and the difficulties that may arise. They are all EXACTLY the same.

Weddings are also exactly the same, that's why My Big Fat Greek Wedding was so offensive. It should have just been My Wedding, What does being Big, Fat or Greek have to do with anything. :unsure:

I don't think Chef is saying cultural differences don't play a role. But show me one statement in that article that couldn't apply to any other couple. Sure sounds like everyday challenges to me. In fact, if there were no pictures and their race wasn't mentioned you'd assume they were white in the first half of the article.

Well there is this:

There are many influences that have shaped, affected or strained black marriages, according to marriage and family experts. Among them: African tribal traditions, the horrors of slavery, racial integration in the U.S. that paved the way to more freedoms and the migrations of thousands of African-Americans that fractured or reshaped communities

I have some black friends and they're constantly bitching about how slavery just messes with their marriage. :unsure:

Better yet I'd like to hear some challenges of marriage that are unique to blacks.

I think there are many things that are different between cultures. Do I really need to highlight those?

The people in the article certainly seem to have issues that are very common among all marriages. I'm saying, it is the little things that cause those problems to arise, that are different. I'm not black, and I don't know how kids are brought up in relation to their values on marriage, women and chores around the house, or handling house finances. But, I'm sure that certain things are valued more than others in each culture, and that certainly makes circumstances different in dealing with the umbrella issue at hand.

However, you're right. This particular couple seems to have much more similarity to everyone involved in marriage.

I agree that what was discussed in the article wasn't unique to black people/marriage. What could be unique is whether there is a greater breakdown of traditional families among blacks, i.e. with single mothers raising their children, and wheter the males they raise see this and don't want to be a part of marriage themselves.

is there a single greater statistical predictor of marital outcomes than whether your parents remained married?

Serious question.

I can just give you mine. My parents got divorced but all six of their children have, as of now, had long healthy marriages.

Is there a form I missed that tells me what color I got? I was hoping for red.

Damn! The answer was chartreuse.

You may try again with your next marriage.