Tim Graham defends the Patriots claim to

Excuse me for a second :thumbdown: ........... :thumbdown:

Ok, now that I've thrown everything up I can write this. He's right. :w00t: Right now I think the Pets have the most bandwagon fans of any team in the country. IMO, that defines America's team. The Cowboys were given the moniker "America's Team" by themselves when they were the kings of bandwagon fans. I think the Pets are in that situation now.

Some of the gloss has eroded from them a little but enough to keep them in the most bandwagon fans category.

JMO :bag:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2001 Pats, the lovable underdogs who beat the mighty Rams, not so much of a laugh (although that Tuck Rule thing is still galling). The 18-and-D'oh! version running up the score, with Brady mocking Plax Burress' suggestion that the Giants could hold his finely-tuned offense to 17 points in Super Bowl XLII? I'd switch to watching rhythmic gymnastics before jumping on that team's bandwagon.

BTW, Tommyboy, 17-14 -- and you didn't have the 17. Choke on that.

The reason I say it's a laugh is, before they started winning regularly this century, they weren't even "Boston's Team".

The reason I say it's a laugh is, before they started winning regularly this century, they weren't even "Boston's Team".

Exactly, and when the wheels fall off in a year or two, it will be that way again.

Oh, absofriggin'lutely. I visited Boston the summer they drafted Bledsoe, and figured I could find some good football talk. Hah. Every time I brought up the Pats, the reply was, "They suck. Nobody cares about them."

That was right around the time they sold 19,000 season tickets, too. No, wait, I'm giving them too much credit. Here's the actual quote from the Pats' weekly release, on the page where Krafty Bob brags about himself:

In the early 1990s, the Patriots seemed destined for relocation

until Robert Kraft’s purchase of the team rejuvenated local

interest. In 1991, the season ticket base was just 17,635, barely

enough to support the club. Now, the season-ticket base stands

at a capped total of 61,759 and more than 50,000 fans are on a

waiting list. The Patriots have sold out 155 consecutive home

games (dating back to the 1994 regular-season opener).

To compare, while the Bills were in the high teens a couple of times (1978, '84-85), they haven't sold under 18,000 season tix since 1964.

FWIW, this was an assigned story, with each blogger arguing in favor of his division's team.

Didn't stop me from wanting to :thumbdown: when I read it, though.

Carry on ...

This story by Tim Graham would have been great to quote for an earlier thread dealing with Belicheat* cheating* and why the media doesn't do all it can to investigate the cheating. Some people think the media would do anything to find dirt to expose. But in the final analysis the media who cover football would rather try to somehow bask in the glory of the winning teams and get inside access to the big name coaches and owners than probe further about the cheating* that in this case was at least part of the reason NE* became a winning team*. To write a story about why NE* should be America's team and not to at least footnote the cheating and the penalty that resulted from it is ridiculous. I mean the whole decade was referenced as to why NE* should be America's team and the cheating scandal only happened in 2007, less than 2 years ago!!!! No mention of it at all!!!!!

I think that honor goes to the New York Giants who always seem to defy the odds to win championships.

America's team should be a team the whole Nation likes to cheer for and the Giants are that team.

Good blog by Tim Graham.

Actually, that honor goes truly to the Pittsburgh Steelers...They have a following nationwide and have won 2 super bowls, albeit without getting caught for cheating (Unlike the Patriots). A truly blue-collar team and should be the true Americas Team.

Actually, that honor goes truly to the Pittsburgh Steelers...They have a following nationwide and have won 2 super bowls, albeit without getting caught for cheating (Unlike the Patriots). A truly blue-collar team and should be the true Americas Team.

Yes but Tom Brady, he's soooo dreamy. Ben Rothlieafdsafggrberger, not so mcuh.

The Pats* are America's Team as much as the Yankees, Chicago Bulls, or Dallas Cowboys ever were...meaning to the frontrunners fans of the world. The dweebs who run around in team gear only because that team happens to really good at that moment. When the next dynasty emerges then all that Pats* gear will wind up in the closet or at Goodwill.

PTR

I hate the Patriots just as much as the next guy (avatar), but they are no doubt America's team right now.

They have been one of the longest tenured dynasties in NFL history, that is going on still going on currently. They are located in Boston, one of the very first birth cities of this country. They wear red, white and blue. And oh yeah, they're called the PATRIOTS.

The name "America's team" seems to accompany a current team that is above and beyond the best. They Cowboys suck and have sucked for a very long time. IMO, the Patriots are America's team until they suffer a severe drop-off and a new team/city takes over. The Steelers are close.

I hate the Patriots just as much as the next guy (avatar), but they are no doubt America's team right now.

They have been one of the longest tenured dynasties in NFL history, that is going on still going on currently. They are located in Boston, one of the very first birth cities of this country. They wear red, white and blue. And oh yeah, they're called the PATRIOTS.

The name "America's team" seems to accompany a current team that is above and beyond the best. They Cowboys suck and have sucked for a very long time. IMO, the Patriots are America's team until they suffer a severe drop-off and a new team/city takes over. The Steelers are close.

The Patriots haven't won the SB since 2004, were caught cheating, and instead of erasing talk of "Spygate" by winning it all in 2007, were the victims of one of the biggest upsets in NFL history. The Steelers are America's team now.

The Patriots haven't won the SB since 2004, were caught cheating, and instead of erasing talk of "Spygate" by winning it all in 2007, were the victims of one of the biggest upsets in NFL history. The Steelers are America's team now.

Thanks you.

To ans4e64, I would ask... what is your definition of a Dynasty? It's been 5 years since the Pats* last Super Bowl win. Yes, they were in the Super Bowl 2 years ago. But, they lost that game. Yes, they've been a perennial playoff team. But, does that make them a Dynasty? I would say that winning 3 SBs in 4 years could potentially equal a dynasty, but it would be a relatively short one or perhaps average - certainly not one of the longest in NFL History.

Granted, their dominance of the Bills is approaching the Fins dominance of the 70's. So perhaps it seems to us it feels like a long dynasty. But, again, in terms of the NFL at large I'd say they were an average tenured dynasty.

If losing a SB is still factored into your dynastic reign, then the 90's Bills were definitely a dynasty. Thing is... no one ever refers to those Bills teams as an NFL dynasty.

Allah, Yahweh, God and Buddha grant that it does not continue, but IF there is such a thing as America's team, and I deny that it is an actual thing but America loves hype whether it is deserved or not and this label will never go away, the Pats* are it right now.

By the way "... America's team wears a black hat. Consider the hoodie." That's good writing.

Excuse me for a second :thumbdown: ........... :thumbdown:

Ok, now that I've thrown everything up I can write this. He's right. :w00t: Right now I think the Pets have the most bandwagon fans of any team in the country. IMO, that defines America's team. The Cowboys were given the moniker "America's Team" by themselves when they were the kings of bandwagon fans. I think the Pets are in that situation now.

Some of the gloss has eroded from them a little but enough to keep them in the most bandwagon fans category.

JMO :bag:

Funny, I don't know any more Patriots fans now, than I did 9 years ago...Red Sox yes, not Patriots.

I live in Austin, and the Cowboys can still lay claim to the most band wagon fans as far as I am concerned. When they win, they rub in everyones' face. When they lose, they point to "Troy and Emmitt and Michael" as if they won a championship just last year... they are an annoying lot...

I agree though, with everyone who says that the term "America's Team" is pretty stupid...

The 2001 Pats, the lovable underdogs who beat the mighty Rams, not so much of a laugh (although that Tuck Rule thing is still galling). The 18-and-D'oh! version running up the score, with Brady mocking Plax Burress' suggestion that the Giants could hold his finely-tuned offense to 17 points in Super Bowl XLII? I'd switch to watching rhythmic gymnastics before jumping on that team's bandwagon.

BTW, Tommyboy, 17-14 -- and you didn't have the 17. Choke on that.

Plus one, Lori--I agree completely. It pains me to admit that I rooted heartily for that first Pats* team. If only I'd known what was to come.....

they still aren't.. once you're out of Boston and go west, the Red Sox and Nascar come high on the list of priorities. the Celtics and Bruins are lower down on the list, and the Pats* even further below