LAMP: Defending my PhD dissertation on thursday

Ramius

In what?

Molecular Biology- Thesis was on the DNA replication pattern of a group of Baker's yeast genes. I developed a method to map which way the replication fork on a stretch of DNA was moving. Yeast have specific DNA replication origins.

Later, another lab , using my method showed that in human cells, the DNA replication origins are non-specific. They found DNA replication forks moving in both directions.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of luck.

I'm a little late, but just remember.. you know more about your research than any of your committee members do. Also, it's almost unheard of for them to let you walk into that room unless they're prepared to accept your dissertation. Honestly, look at the defense as more of a celebration. You're done. Nothing left but some good discussion about your work. Your committee gets one more chance to stick it to you before you join the club, and they will - just because they can. But, in the end, welcome...

Molecular Biology- Thesis was on the DNA replication pattern of a group of Baker's yeast genes. I developed a method to map which way the replication fork on a stretch of DNA was moving. Yeast have specific DNA replication origins.

Later, another lab , using my method showed that in human cells, the DNA replication origins are non-specific. They found DNA replication forks moving in both directions.

Well that may be sooo. But can you fix an "owie?"

Well that may be sooo. But can you fix an "owie?"

Or for that matter back a car into a driveway! (actually, true story... My highly educated "engineer" sister-in-law couldn't do that... For that matter, even her sister (my wife) can't :D:D )... :unsure::)

Good luck Ramius, may you slay them!!!!

~6 years of grad school and research in the lab is finally down to this thursday, when i defend my PhD dissertation. It's in biomedical engineering for those interested. I'm not so much scared or nervous yet as i am just ready to be done and over with this. The thesis has been written and submitted and i am finishing up my presentation. With any luck, i'll be a doc by thursday afternoon.

dude....just blow it off.

:unsure:

Seriously, good luck Ramius.

Yeah, i know there is at least 1 guy on my committee who is going to be an ass just because he can. He enjoys giving students a hard time for no good reason. I may just let them fight, because 2 committee members are pissed at a 3rd, who tends to go AWOL quite a bit and not respond to emails, calls, etc. He's left my advisor hanging out to dry on a couple of grant applications, and was supposed to help me on the data analysis for a chunk of my research, but he disappeared. The other 2 on my committee couldn't care less and are there to sign the paperwork.

So Darin will be on the panel?

To quote a former president "Put some ice on it." :unsure:

That's a good one.

Others are "Rub some dirt on it" and the ubiquitous, "Walk it off!"