LAMP: Defending my PhD dissertation on thursday

Ramius

~6 years of grad school and research in the lab is finally down to this thursday, when i defend my PhD dissertation. It's in biomedical engineering for those interested. I'm not so much scared or nervous yet as i am just ready to be done and over with this. The thesis has been written and submitted and i am finishing up my presentation. With any luck, i'll be a doc by thursday afternoon.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

~6 years of grad school and research in the lab is finally down to this thursday, when i defend my PhD dissertation. It's in biomedical engineering for those interested. I'm not so much scared or nervous yet as i am just ready to be done and over with this. The thesis has been written and submitted and i am finishing up my presentation. With any luck, i'll be a doc by thursday afternoon.

I wish you lots of luck. Mostly because, if you have to rely on your brains, you're !@#$ed. :cry:

Just remember, if you get stuck: if it isn't 3.5, it's error.

Defenses I've attended usually are pretty routine......the candidate knows more than the panel and there is usually a probe about methodology so at least one guy can hear himself talk out loud, followed by your answer, followed by chin stroking and usually a satisfied look, but above all, what Tom said, 3.5.

Good luck.

Defenses I've attended usually are pretty routine......the candidate knows more than the panel and there is usually a probe about methodology so at least one guy can hear himself talk out loud, followed by your answer, followed by chin stroking and usually a satisfied look, but above all, what Tom said, 3.5.

Good luck.

What, no strippers? What's a thesis defense without strippers?

Ramius, take my word: 3.5, and strippers, and you're golden.

What, no strippers? What's a thesis defense without strippers?

Ramius, take my word: 3.5, and strippers, and you're golden.

Lappies can't hurt if it is going badly and sparsely attended, but yes, strippers.

Practice, Practice, Practice. I did mine about 25 times and I was on autopilot for it. My advisor said he had seen only one person not pass his defense. Once they tell you to write, they have seen the data and know it's enough for you to defend. He said when they send you out for ten minutes or so to "discuss" your work, they immediately sign the paperwork and then BS the rest of the time.

The oral exams before I started doing the research were a lot tougher.

Do you have a job lined up?

No, are you offering?

Practice, Practice, Practice. I did mine about 25 times and I was on autopilot for it. My advisor said he had seen only one person not pass his defense. Once they tell you to write, they have seen the data and know it's enough for you to defend. He said when they send you out for ten minutes or so to "discuss" your work, they immediately sign the paperwork and then BS the rest of the time.

The oral exams before I started doing the research were a lot tougher.

My advisor told me after i passed my prospectus defense that it was harder than the actual thesis defense will be, for the reasons you stated. They also have incentive to pass everyone they tell to defend based on history, because FSU's Fisher lecture hall (the science lecture hall) was named after the late Dr Fisher. Dr. Fisher was shot and killed by one of his grad students days after failing him on his PhD defense.

MY boss has been making me nervous a bit because he's been flaking out recently about some of my data. Its the most recent stuff i did, which was a start on the next phase of the project i was working on. I did a decent amount of work, but none of the data is publishable yet. So he was bitching that i drew conclusions from the little data i had for that part, and then went on about how i can't just include the data without a conclusion. I think he's freaking out because when i am gone, no one currently in the lab has a good biochem background. The other 4 students are all chem engineers whose bio knowledge comes from a semester of baby bio and 2 grad classes.

Good luck.

Yeah, i know there is at least 1 guy on my committee who is going to be an ass just because he can. He enjoys giving students a hard time for no good reason. I may just let them fight, because 2 committee members are pissed at a 3rd, who tends to go AWOL quite a bit and not respond to emails, calls, etc. He's left my advisor hanging out to dry on a couple of grant applications, and was supposed to help me on the data analysis for a chunk of my research, but he disappeared. The other 2 on my committee couldn't care less and are there to sign the paperwork.

Good luck.

Good luck and congrats. I have no doubt this will go very smoothly.