Top 10 Offenses of All Time

Two teams from the 50's? What a joke! I'm all for sports nostalgia, but let's not pretend like the old-timers could even sniff the jock of today's players. I know, I know, the game is different now, weight programs, training tables, blah blah...but that's exactly my point, it's comparing apples to oranges. Don't belong on the list, regardless of their accomplishments.

Gotta take you to task on this one, Cat. The Colts of the late '50's had Raymond Berry, Tom Matte and some guy named Unitas. All in the Hall and they played well into the 60's and beyond. True legends of any era, they accomplished their feats in a MUCH togher game than todays'. The earlier '50's Rams had Bob Waterfield, Elroy Hersch, Tom Fears and Tank Yonger. Truely the offensive class of the league. Scored at will and from anywhere.

I think the '84 Dolphins have no place here except for Marino's arm. He's the only HOFer from that offense -minus a lineman or two..

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta take you to task on this one, Cat. The Colts of the late '50's had Raymond Berry, Tom Matte and some guy named Unitas. All in the Hall and they played well into the 60's and beyond. True legends of any era, they accomplished their feats in a MUCH togher game than todays'. The earlier '50's Rams had Bob Waterfield, Elroy Hersch, Tom Fears and Tank Yonger. Truely the offensive class of the league. Scored at will and from anywhere.

I think the '84 Dolphins have no place here except for Marino's arm. He's the only HOFer from that offense -minus a lineman or two..

I'd be very very curious to see how those teams would do in a Heavenly showdown with defenses from 1990 and beyond.

This is, after all, an argument about offenses.

Don't waste your time. Some will just never get it.

I suppose there can be objection in some sort of an academic sense.

4 straight SB losses...case closed. No wins - no pets and strokes...

Well the 1998 Vikings are always on everyones top lists but they didn't even play in the superbowl. As much as it sucks that we didn't win one of those its still an accomplishment to get there four times in a row. No team has made the Superbowl three times in a row let alone four. I mean you can't slot that team at number ten or nine?

Two teams from the 50's? What a joke! I'm all for sports nostalgia, but let's not pretend like the old-timers could even sniff the jock of today's players. I know, I know, the game is different now, weight programs, training tables, blah blah...but that's exactly my point, it's comparing apples to oranges. Don't belong on the list, regardless of their accomplishments.

You should watch Johnny Unitas play sometime. Even past his prime, he was eye-openingly good.

In all honesty, that's a pretty tough group to crack. Of the ones I saw, all of those offenses were pretty unstoppable. And someone made a good point about the Super Bowls; the Bills offense was held in check each time.

Don't think the offense was held in check in SBXXV. 370 yards and 19 points in 19 minutes of possession.

You should watch Johnny Unitas play sometime. Even past his prime, he was eye-openingly good.

Sorry, I don't own an 8mm projector. :thumbsup:

Seriously though, for all you cranky old-balls that would just rather insist that I don't know what I'm talking about: you understand my point, you're just too clingy to the good old days to agree with me! End of story! :thumbsup:

The object isn't to compare across eras. It is to compare and rank teams/players FROM each era relative TO that era. Everyone knows teams from yesteryear couldn't compete against the best today. By that standard, yes, those earlier teams very much belong on the list.

Besides, it's all subjective anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

The object isn't to compare across eras. It is to compare and rank teams/players FROM each era relative TO that era. Everyone knows teams from yesteryear couldn't compete against the best today. By that standard, yes, those earlier teams very much belong on the list.

GO BILLS!!!

Right. Ask 20 different people and you'd get 20 different answers. This is just one man's opinion on the 10 best offenses. I'd be willing to bet that if you asked 100 people the same question, the 90's Bills would be on alot of those lists along with numerous others.

Anyone else see the top 10 offenses off all time on N F L.com?

What a complete disgrace of a list. Not one Buffalo Bill team from the Early 90s made the list.

Top 10 out of a thousand seasons.........that is brutally hard to be a part of., Bills 89-90 probably got some consideration.

I would think the Bills got some consideration, but in the end, if Dallas didnt make it with Aikman, Emmit, and Irving, the Bills weren't gonna make it with Jimbo, Thurman, and Andre...

I also would put the 2007 Pats at #1...well, except for their superbowl performance!

GO BILLS!!!

Well, see now that makes sense! :thumbsup:

No, my point remains. If any of the freaks of nature of 2009 were pulling that kinda crap years ago, and at the speed of today's game, the league would have folded in less than two years.

may not show you much about the team, but it will show you the humility of the players then. Look at Unitas's reaction to winning the game in overtime. Just walks away.

may not show you much about the team, but it will show you the humility of the players then. Look at Unitas's reaction to winning the game in overtime. Just walks away.

Apologies to you and R.Rich. I can only imagine how The Buffalo Jaguars would be received in 2020 - Gosh forbid.

You're right, that is a token moment in sports greatness.

But the virtues of a player only go so far when he's up against a 21st century football machine. You know the type: skin stretched over muscles blown up on gorilla testosterone, brain the size of a walnut, faster and heavier than a Smart Car.

Not to mention the evolution of the game, but that's tapered off of late, seeing as how The Bills from 20 years ago would probably still put up numbers today. That's why I think dipping 50-60 years back at the omission of teams from the modern era seems like a stretch. To me, that's what honorable mention is for.

You're right, that is a token moment in sports greatness.

But the virtues of a player only go so far when he's up against a 21st century football machine. You know the type: skin stretched over muscles blown up on gorilla testosterone, brain the size of a walnut, faster and heavier than a Smart Car.

Not to mention the evolution of the game, but that's tapered off of late, seeing as how The Bills from 20 years ago would probably still put up numbers today. That's why I think dipping 50-60 years back at the omission of teams from the modern era seems like a stretch. To me, that's what honorable mention is for.

The testosterone babies of today would shiit bricks if they lined up accross some of the mad men loonies of yesteryear.

I enjoy these lists that the NFL Network does, but sometimes they just TRY to be contrary to create a buzz. For example, they decided to include the 1987 49ers team that did NOT make it to the Super Bowl as opposed to that 1994 juggernaut or one of those 1988 or 1989 back-to-back teams? Reminds me of a couple of weeks ago when they had their Top 10 All Time Cowboys with Michael Irvin at #3 -- ahead of Emmit Smith!