Our Harvard QB

Lately, as people find new things to female dog about, our backup QB has become popular to bash. Some think we have the worst backup QB in the league. Others wondered why we jumped on Fitzpatrick so quick. People point to RF struggling with 2 "elite" receivers. So, I did a simple compare and contrast between Fitz and Carson Palmer, who is generally regarded as one of the best QBs in the league. It was pretty interesting:

http://www.nfl.com/players/ryanfitzpatrick...le?id=FIT792915

Ryan Harvard: 70 QB rating, 59.4 completion %, 5.1 yards per attempt, 8 tds, 9 ints, 304 rushing yards (3rd in the NFL amongst QBs), and 38 sacks in 12 starts.

http://www.nfl.com/players/carsonpalmer/profile?id=PAL249055

Carson Palmer: 69 QB rating, 58.1 completion %, 5.7 ypa, 3 tds, 4 ints, 38 rushing yards, and 11 sacks in 4 games.

So while the sample size is somewhat skewed, Fitzpatrick had slightly better numbers than an elite QB. Maybe instead of thinking RF is a bad QB, it was more the Bengals o-line was terrible; they were so bad at running back they picked a drunken Benson off a boat to start; and their receivers aren't as good as they are made out. Either that or Ryan Fitzpatrick is slightly better than Palmer.

Honestly, I think we are in a really good position at QB. We have a guy who was good enough for Mike Martz (who looks for strong armed QBs) to draft and has a good amount of starting NFL experience as a 27 year old. He also understands the game and will work with our starting QB instead of sulking on the sidelines. I apologize for being positive. <_<

you unreasonable !@#$.

Jauron is a loser, TO is a cancer, Trent is a vag, Lynch is a thug, Evans is one dimensional, Poz is slow, Ralph is cheap, Schobel is overrated, Whitner is a bust, Brandon is a marketing guy, and McKelvin talks funny.

Do I get to fit in now? <_<

Jauron is a loser, TO is a cancer, Trent is a vag, Lynch is a thug, Evans is one dimensional, Poz is slow, Ralph is cheap and racist, Schobel is overrated, Whitner is a bust, Brandon is a marketing guy, and McKelvin talks funny.

Do I get to fit in now? :wallbash:

There, I fixed it <_< Now you fit in :devil:

In all the praise for Fitzpatrick and Gibran Hamden, don't overlook Cullen Harper. Not a member of the "brainiac QB" club that resides in Buffalo (he is from Clemson), he is supposed to be a pretty smart kid to, and has that "prototype" size (6'4" and 225 pounds) that make him an interesting prospect. We know Trent and Fitzpatrick make the team, I just wonder if Harper makes a strong case for the third spot...or maybe practice squad...

In all the praise for Fitzpatrick and Gibran Hamden, don't overlook Cullen Harper. Not a member of the "brainiac QB" club that resides in Buffalo (he is from Clemson), he is supposed to be a pretty smart kid to, and has that "prototype" size (6'4" and 225 pounds) that make him an interesting prospect. We know Trent and Fitzpatrick make the team, I just wonder if Harper makes a strong case for the third spot...or maybe practice squad...

where you getting Harper from..ther's no QB on this team in any way named Harper...unless the rosters I've seen don't have him listed

Lately, as people find new things to female dog about, our backup QB has become popular to bash. Some think we have the worst backup QB in the league. Others wondered why we jumped on Fitzpatrick so quick. People point to RF struggling with 2 "elite" receivers. So, I did a simple compare and contrast between Fitz and Carson Palmer, who is generally regarded as one of the best QBs in the league. It was pretty interesting:

Ryan Harvard: 70 QB rating, 59.4 completion %, 5.1 yards per attempt, 8 tds, 9 ints, 304 rushing yards (3rd in the NFL amongst QBs), and 38 sacks in 12 starts.

Carson Palmer: 69 QB rating, 58.1 completion %, 5.7 ypa, 3 tds, 4 ints, 38 rushing yards, and 11 sacks in 4 games.

So while the sample size is somewhat skewed, Fitzpatrick had slightly better numbers than an elite QB. Maybe instead of thinking RF is a bad QB, it was more the Bengals o-line was terrible; they were so bad at running back they picked a drunken Benson off a boat to start; and their receivers aren't as good as they are made out. Either that or Ryan Fitzpatrick is slightly better than Palmer.

Honestly, I think we are in a really good position at QB. We have a guy who was good enough for Mike Martz (who looks for strong armed QBs) to draft and has a good amount of starting NFL experience as a 27 year old. He also understands the game and will work with our starting QB instead of sulking on the sidelines. I apologize for being positive. <_<

I loove Fitz as the backup, as long as TE stays in the game. Love Hamdan too, under same circumstances, in fact, Matt Baker may be the best of them all.

where you getting Harper from..ther's no QB on this team in any way named Harper...unless the rosters I've seen don't have him listed

Harper had agreed to a free-agent tryout with the Buffalo Bills for three day tryout.

http://www.13wham.com/content/sports/local...YHUDuKpunQ.cspx

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/05/04/t...-with-a-chance/

QB Cullen Harper - Clemson – The former Tiger had a rough first day and looked like he was trying to show off his arm strength, throwing every pass 100 mph. But he showed some better touch the last two days and was always the first QB through in the three man rotation on reps. I also thought Gary Rogers threw a nice ball.

I have not seen him adding to 80 man roster however or any mini-camp reports of him.

Ehh...sorry, my bad... I knew he had a tryout, but I thought he had made the initial roster, I hadn't heard/read that he hadn't. When they agreed to bring him in for a tryout, I thought it was a shrewd move. Prior to the 2008 college season, he was projected as a 1st round draft pick, for the reasons I mentioned. He didn't have a stellar senior season, as Clemson had an awful O-line, and he got the sh-- kicked out of him....sorry for the false (hope) alarm!

I agree. I had posted some numbers, too, a while back:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=1434089

Main thing is that he improved as the year progressed last season and that's a very good sign.

Some think we have the worst backup QB in the league. So, I did a simple compare and contrast between Fitz and Carson Palmer, who is generally regarded as one of the best QBs in the league.

In what year was this originally posted?

Fitzpatrick was the guy I wanted all along to be our back-up QB. He is young, still learning the position and has some experience. I would have liked to see Hamdan last year in the last couple of games to see if he could handle things with real live bullets but the coaches didn't give him an oportunity.

I think this year we're in good shape at QB.

Jauron is a loser, TO is a cancer, Trent is a vag, Lynch is a thug, Evans is one dimensional, Poz is slow, Ralph is cheap, Schobel is overrated, Whitner is a bust, Brandon is a marketing guy, and McKelvin talks funny.

Do I get to fit in now? :devil:

trent is a glove wearing vag

You also forgot to mention that Langston Walker is a slug, Ellison sucks, and Ko Simpson is worth millions.

Honestly, I think we are in a really good position at QB. We have a guy who was good enough for Mike Martz (who looks for strong armed QBs) to draft and has a good amount of starting NFL experience as a 27 year old. He also understands the game and will work with our starting QB instead of sulking on the sidelines. I apologize for being positive. :devil:

I am one who happens to think that we have one of the worst backup QBs in the league. He is a #3 at best, way overpaid and we chased him like Joe Montana in his prime just became a Free Agent. We are in deep dodo if Trent ever gets hurt and we have to rely on "Noodle Arm" for any length of time.

You left off: Kelsay is overpaid, we should have kept peters ... no the dude sucks so good bye, we have no D, we have no o-line, walker sucks, the Toronto series sucks, Marshawn is a thug, Donte Whitner sucks...

I am one who happens to think that we have one of the worst backup QBs in the league. He is a #3 at best, way overpaid and we chased him like Joe Montana in his prime just became a Free Agent. We are in deep dodo if Trent ever gets hurt and we have to rely on "Noodle Arm" for any length of time.

How can our situation be worse than last year at backup QB??

How can our situation be worse than last year at backup QB??

I didn't say it was any worse, but it certainly isn't any better either. There were quite a few better options they could have taken instead of kissing his rear end the first day of free agency.

Fitzpatrick was the guy I wanted all along to be our back-up QB. He is young, still learning the position and has some experience. I would have liked to see Hamdan last year in the last couple of games to see if he could handle things with real live bullets but the coaches didn't give him an oportunity.

I think this year we're in good shape at QB.

Oh, I get it. Vaginas are coffins.

I am one who happens to think that we have one of the worst backup QBs in the league. He is a #3 at best, way overpaid and we chased him like Joe Montana in his prime just became a Free Agent. We are in deep dodo if Trent ever gets hurt and we have

to rely on "Noodle Arm" for any length of time.

I'm surprised you waited so long to chime in, along with your anti-Fiztpatrick pogrom partner, FHBillsfan #1.

Last I heard from you, you were telling us that you had a friend that followed the B'gals, and you and he would have 2 televisions running with separate feeds - the Bills and the Bengals. About how therefore you saw most B'gals games...evidently concentrating on both simultaneously, enabling your grand pronouncements.

I've written occasionally about my impressions regarding Fitzpatrick. Pros and cons. I've posted authoritaive site citations depicting CIN's league-leading injuries.

You might look them up.

CIN, with Palmer's contract owning their QB budget, was in no position to pay Fitz what his market would bear. They would have gladly liked to have retained him.

Fiztpatrick was snapped up when he hit the open market.

I liked Harper too before his senior year but man he went down the dumper.

I'm guessing the coaches like the idea of having a guy who is like another coach and has a great relationship with Trent as the 3rd stringer. Hopefully, it won't matter but I would like to see a young guy get developed as a 3rd stringer instead of Hamden (ducks the rocks from the Hamden fan club).

Are you really questioning Palmer being one of the best QBs in the NFL? Because before last year, he passed for 26, 28, and 32 tds. How many QBs in the league have that on their resumes?

Palmer doesn't do a good job of closing out games, and his intentions are easy to read. He is very dependent on timing with his receivers. And since his '05 cheap-shot knee injury, tends to throw a high ball.

His audibles are predictable - 9 times out of 10, it's a run play...usually to the left. Their idiot OC Bratkowski is very predictable - my wife thinks I'm some sort of football savant, as I watch their linemen set and tell her what play they are going to run.

And I'm not alone with that observation.

Palmer is a good QB - but not one of the best IMO.

Palmer doesn't do a good job of closing out games, and his intentions are easy to read. He is very dependent on timing with his receivers. And since his '05 cheap-shot knee injury, tends to throw a high ball.

His audibles are predictable - 9 times out of 10, it's a run play...usually to the left. Their idiot OC Bratkowski is very predictable - my wife thinks I'm some sort of football savant, as I watch their linemen set and tell her what play they are going to run.

And I'm not alone with that observation.

Palmer is a good QB - but not one of the best IMO.

I'm not disagreeing with you but his numbers suggest otherwise. He isn't a top 10 QB in your opinion? Who would you put ahead of him?

However, the point remains that QB was hardly the problem with the Bengals last year. Anyone would have looked terrible playing there.

I'm not disagreeing with you but his numbers suggest otherwise. He isn't a top 10 QB in your opinion? Who would you put ahead of him?

However, the point remains that QB was hardly the problem with the Bengals last year. Anyone would have looked terrible playing there.

Palmer has - as they say - all the physical passing tools. Remains to be seen how his bum elbow comes around.

And yes - CIN has had horrific overall injuries the past few seasons - as well as top draft choices leaving football through injury or attitude certainly contributing, as well as ownership and coaching staff. Marvin is in DJ's class regarding game decisions.

There is a lot to like about Palmer - but I've never seen him really display a force of personality that made one feel that he could forge an improbable victory.

Off-topic: The early things about CIN's DC Zimmer D looks good. They were #12 overall last year against a tough schedule. And they stocked up in the draft with LB R. Mulagela (sp?) and DE M. Jackson, re-signed LBs D. Jones and R. Jeanty, and await the return of K. Rivers. 2008's #3 DT Sims looked like the real deal, alongside DT Peko.

CIN has a good shot at an 8-8 record. Perhaps more. On paper, they certainly have a schedule much softer than last season.

When fitz came here he put the ball where it needed to be in awful conditions and didnt make stupid throws. He didnt have long to throw, and few of his passes were caught. Fitz and his team were not on the same page, but from the upper deck you could tell that this guy knew where to throw the ball on routes and saw the field well.

I saw a smart, young QB in way over his head.

When fitz came here he put the ball where it needed to be in awful conditions and didnt make stupid throws. He didnt have long to throw, and few of his passes were caught. Fitz and his team were not on the same page, but from the upper deck you could tell that this guy knew where to throw the ball on routes and saw the field well.

I saw a smart, young QB in way over his head.

Fair assessment.

It happens every season - somebody rips a Bills' player, generally a recent acquisition. Before they even hit the field. Then, a couple of amanuensis snots peck out some posts in support of the slam.

The poster takes pains to dogsh*t the player whenever his name comes up, then retreats like a crummy little spider rubbing its' foreparts when the season begins.

If that player falters, they yank their posts out of the dungeon, petting themselves about how right they were, and crow about how wrong everybody else was. We are all supposed to be impressed with their insight, then.

If the player they took pains to accost happens to have a degree of success, their traps never open.

Honestly, I think we are in a really good position at QB. We have a guy who was good enough for Mike Martz (who looks for strong armed QBs) to draft and has a good amount of starting NFL experience as a 27 year old. He also understands the game and will work with our starting QB instead of sulking on the sidelines. I apologize for being positive. :wallbash:

I have a problem with concluding "we are in a really good position at QB" until Edwards proves he is a better-than-average #1. I hope this is the year.

But, I agree with you about Fitzpatrick. He was actually fairly high on my list for the Bills, this offseason. I think picking him up will prove to be a good move.

The Bills were never interested in Cassel, so who cares?

We are speaking about your team's backup QB situation. The Bills signed Fitzpatrick as a backup. Your team lost Cassel and now has Kevin O'Connell as a backup.

Ehh...sorry, my bad... I knew he had a tryout, but I thought he had made the initial roster, I hadn't heard/read that he hadn't. When they agreed to bring him in for a tryout, I thought it was a shrewd move. Prior to the 2008 college season, he was projected as a 1st round draft pick, for the reasons I mentioned. He didn't have a stellar senior season, as Clemson had an awful O-line, and he got the sh-- kicked out of him....sorry for the false (hope) alarm!

oh np man..I wasnt calling you out or nothing..I was just confused as to who Harper was...I hadn't seen anything on him at all...but some of the posters here gave links so thats kool...

We are speaking about your team's backup QB situation. The Bills signed Fitzpatrick as a backup. Your team lost Cassel and now has Kevin O'Connell as a backup.

It's time for you and The Senator to stop your tickle-fest, climb out of the backseat of the VW and head back to shop class.

It's time for you and The Senator to stop your tickle-fest, climb out of the backseat of the VW and head back to shop class.

That's hysterical - especially coming from a Tommie* Brady* loving knob-gobbler such as yourself.

(I know...I know...you're sayin', "Hey! Leave Tommie* alone...he's just soooooooooo dreamy...."