If Trent goes down with an injury, we are literally SOL as of right no

I know we all want to address the lines & Secondary but after thinking about it, we are well underserved at QB. I have 0 faith in Hamdan / Fitz helping us in a close game if need be. We have 0 behind Trent right now at QB. There is no Frank Reich to pull the greatest comeback in NFL history trick out of the hat, no gunslinger / threat. Our offense has been nearly inept for years, yet we continue to kid ourselves and think that the QB position is well filled. Dream a little dream, get a back up with some ability and that might actually be able to make other teams second guess what's coming, I want us to win.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we all want to address the lines & Secondary but after thinking about it, we are well underserved at QB. I have 0 faith in Hamdan / Fitz helping us in a close game if need be. We have 0 behind Trent right now at QB. There is no Frank Reich to pull the greatest comeback in NFL history trick out of the hat, no gunslinger / threat. Our offense has been nearly inept for years, yet we continue to kid ourselves and think that the QB position is well filled. Dream a little dream, get a back up with some ability and that might actually be able to make other teams second guess what's coming, I want us to win.

why is he compared to kelly? what has trent ever done to show he can take the helm

why is he compared to kelly? what has trent ever done to show he can take the helm

0 but I am willing to give him a chance to try and improve now that he has a few extra targets.

I disagree. True, we've only seen Hamden in preseason, but he has looked good. Fitz has some real NFL experience now and I have full confidence in him, too. I wouldn't rate the backup situation as ideal, but I wouldn't rate it as dire, either -- not by a long shot. In fact, I think there are many teams who would like to have our backups on their roster.

Fitzpatrick may be no Reich...but no one out there is Reich...he may have been our best option for the #2 role...he puts the team first and knows his role as the #2...no QB controversy...and he has plenty of game experience

shoulda picked up garcia...then again we shoulda done that 6 yrs ago

You do realize that it is pretty much the same for every team in the league, right? There are not many (if any) backups that are going to carry a team to the Super Bowl. If any starter in the league goes down for an extended period of time, I can ALMOST guarantee they will not win the Super Bowl.

Does it happen? Sure.......once in a blue moon. But let's face it, if you starting QB goes down, the chances of winning are not good. And that is just not for the Bills.....it goes for every team. The money is just not there to have 2 GREAT QBs on any team unless it happens by accident.

Fitzpatrick was marginally better than Losman last year...

I don't think your comparison of Fitz to JP is a valid one.

Here is Fitz's history:

2005 Starts=3, Appearances=4, QB Rating=58.2, TD=4, INT=8, SACK=9

2006 Starts=0, Appearances=1, QB Rating=0.0, TD=0, INT=0 SACK=0 (only 3 passes attempted)

2007 Starts=0, Appearances=1, QB Rating=0.0, TD=0, INT=0 SACK=0 (0 passes attempted)

2008 Starts=12, Appearances=13, QB Rating=70.0, TD=8, INT=9, SACK=38

Clearly, Fitz has barely even had an opportunity until last season. Considering that Carson Palmer had 11 sacks in his 4 games last year clearly shows how poor the Cincy O-line is. That's actually a slightly higher number of sacks per game than Fitz last year if you do the math, but only very slightly.

On the other hand, let's consider JP Losman. Here are his stats over the years:

2004 Starts=2, Appearances=5, QB Rating=39.2, TD=0, INT=1, SACK=1

2005 Starts=8, Appearances=9, QB Rating=64.9, TD=8, INT=8, SACK=26

2006 Starts=16, Appearances=16, QB Rating= 84.9, TD=19, INT=14, SACK=47

2007 Starts=7, Appearances=8, QB Rating=76.9, TD=4, INT=6, SACK=14

2008 Starts=2, Appearances=5, QB Rating=62.3, TD=2, INT=5, SACK=15

JP has had much more opportunity to prove himself than Fitz has had, so that's why I don't think the comparison is all that valid.

Am I saying Fitz is another Frank Reicht? Of course not, but he is still an unknown. He played behind a crappy O-line in Cincy and still somehow managed to win 4 games, so I say we really don't know what exactly he is capable of yet. Another year of experience and a good O-line (which I really do believe we have here in Buffalo), then who knows how well he may do. Also, the guy is extremely intelligent and that's a huge plus.

I also like Hamden a lot. I think he has really impressed in his preseason opportunities. He's been a great teammate to Edwards, takes his role seriously and prepares well. He also is very familiar with the system having been in it for a couple of years now. Likewise, I think Fitz understands his role on the team and will be there in a positive way to support Edwards.

Ummmm I would say that about 85% of the teams in the NFL are screwed if thier top QB goes down.

Do you just have nothing better to do than come up with doomsday sinerios?

I got one..... were screwed if swine flu hits the Bills hard right before week 1!! We do not have a strong enough medical staff prepared for the H1N1 virus!!!!

HELP US JEBUS!

All the more concerning with our OL which has the makings of a complete disaster starting a fat slow clumbsyguy at LT who has stated he's not enthusiastic about it, a scrub from Carolina at center, and two rookies. We might just see Brian Moorman back there with the carnage tha't likely to come.